For those of you that don't know...spend the extra thrirty bucks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

For those of you that don't know...spend the extra thrirty bucks

So I am fully prepared for a good flogging and some "I told you so's" and I am really mad at myself , but I can make it right..

Here's what I did....

I did some research to see what bike I could get for my budget (which was prettty small) , turns out my LBS had Felt which fit my budget perfectly (or really close anyway) The owner of the shop was personable and helpful , just a really nice guy ... So after talking for a while we narrowed it down to the Felt...

I found out that a chain store which will go un named for now (I can tell you that their name has something to do with a mountain , and something to do with Eastern, and I think "sports" was somewhere in there too. (they have pretty snooty employees for working at a place like this too!!!)

Anyway, I can't believe how bad this thing was set up. I've had to bring it back twice already and now I have to head down for a third time. It's about 40 minutes from my house, so I burnt up way more than the 30 bucks I thought I was saving on gas for the truck to go back and forth.

The good news...box stores usually have pretty good return policies ...which is exactly what I am going to do ...then head directly over to my LBS and buy one that was set up correctly and bought locally (they sponsor and put on all kinds of races, rides, and events...and deserve my business)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... lesson learned ....feel free to blast me for being a total idiot and trying to be cheap and save thirty bikes ( which cost me 50 in gas !!!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    20 bucks, lesson learned. no big deal. 29er forum. stupid post...... JONG

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker
    20 bucks, lesson learned. no big deal. 29er forum. stupid post...... JONG

Thanks, really appreciate that... Maybe I have a 29'er ??? Maybe I just felt like getting that one out there. Like I said, the owner of the LBS spent some time going over options and finding a bike for me, then I went and bought it somewhere else for 30 bucks less...Just trying to share that so that other people might think twice ...also like I said, the LBS does a lot of good for the local cycling scene... That's probably stupid too then ? Jack*ss

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    all good. Lesson learned. It's good to support the local shop. In my case I def could have saved money at the time I purchased. But they offered me 1 year free tune ups and sizing adjustments. Since the first year, they have thrown a number of items in for free, because they know a happy customer is one that will return and buy more crap. A free wheel true here, dealing with a creaky crown warranty there(after said warranty was up) AND they deal with my coming in a talkin shop. Support your LBS!

AZ
    banned
    Good post , don't mind the mindless . Glad you are able to correct the problem , sounds like you found a good shop too , win/win . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Studio603Graphics: Thanks for coming clean. Your thought process as a consumer in the example you provided is everything wrong with our economy and shitting on the family LBS that is locally owned. It is also why Wal Mart is so big and why we have inferior **** we don't need in our lives that is made NOT in the USA on a larger global scale. You're a man though for admitting to it. Good luck with choosing the right path next time and save yourself and your fellow man in the process.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

Cars Are Evil
    You get what you pay for.

Plays with tools
    you drove 40 minutes to save thirty bucks? the first trip didn't make sense much less the 3 since you bought it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Studio603Graphics
    Thanks, really appreciate that... Maybe I have a 29'er ??? Maybe I just felt like getting that one out there. Like I said, the owner of the LBS spent some time going over options and finding a bike for me, then I went and bought it somewhere else for 30 bucks less...Just trying to share that so that other people might think twice ...also like I said, the LBS does a lot of good for the local cycling scene... That's probably stupid too then ? Jack*ss
    yea the local bike shops do support a lot of good things, including their customers. you went there to get their expertise then turned around and bought somewhere else. then came to the internet to complain about your buying experience and preach about how important it is to buy from a local bike shop....... and im the "jack*ass"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm in a small town where we often have to drive a couple of hours to get things we can't get here. Funny how buying local here is just what you do, not a fad. I'm always pissed when I can't by local from the small guys and have to go to the big city to visit a big box store.

mtbr member
    The local EMS here has some of the most knowledgeable mtb folks around working there.......and one of the most popular/and skilled mechanics in the area too........so it can go both ways with some of the outdoor stores that do more than just bikes.

Bedwards Of The West
    Not being able to work on your own bike has probably already cost you hundreds. What's another 30 bucks?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    you drove 40 minutes to save thirty bucks? the first trip didn't make sense much less the 3 since you bought it.
    +1. I would have never driven 80 minutes (40 each way) to save $30.

Lesson learned, enjoy the bike and create a good relationship with the shop, it will pay off in the end.

Nat
    mtbr member
    JONG
    Is this TGR now?

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Lesson learned, enjoy the bike and learn to work on it yourself, it will pay off in the end.
    Fixed.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Imagine how much bikes and parts would 'really' cost if we didn't have discounters, mail order, online and chain stores. I bet my LBS would be oh-so much more expensive without that market tension.

You should buy a bit from them all IMO - for us all to get the best value. Anyway, I bet the EMS store had some other stuff worth driving for...

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Not to be mean...

but driving more than a block and a half to save $30 seems to call your ultimate judgment into question. Beyond that, I have had fantastic service at mail order companies, and crap service at several LBS's. There is no magic bullet. If you have a great LBS, use them and support them. If you don't, learn how to wrench and buy from a quality mail order company. Save the big box stores for Huffy's and Murray's.

I've worked in the industry, and when you see how much a part costs to produce vs. what you pay for it, it's very difficult to buy at an LBS. (I also know that isn't exclusive to the bike industry.) I also know what it really costs to produce a custom bicycle frame, and it's equally difficult to pay those prices... but I have because it was worth it to me. If supporting the LBS is worth it to you, then pay the price.
    Everyone has the right to be stupid, but you are abusing the priveledge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yea the local bike shops do support a lot of good things, including their customers. you went there to get their expertise then turned around and bought somewhere else. then came to the internet to complain about your buying experience and preach about how important it is to buy from a local bike shop....... and im the "jack*ass"

wasn't trying to complain or preach... just wanted to reiterate what we already know because sometimes you can lose sight of that.(which is exactly what happened to me because I almost never shop at any box stores)

The only other reason (and I'm not justifying it...) was that EMS had it in stock in my size and the LBS would have to order it..sometimes you have to buy quickly or your window of opportunity closes and your new bike turns into your other half's jewlery ... Anyway, it is all set now and I will always (try to) buy at the LBS when ever possible...

mtbr member
    So I am fully prepared for a good flogging and some "I told you so's" and I am really mad at myself , but I can make it right..

Here's what I did....

I found out that a chain store which will go un named for now (I can tell you that their name has something to do with a mountain , and something to do with Eastern, and I think "sports" was somewhere in there too. (they have pretty snooty employees for working at a place like this too!!!)
    So what was it you found out that EMS had? That they had bikes? That they had Felt? That they existed??

Write in English for the benefit of the rest of us.

Rider and Wrench
    I am on board with MMcG - I have a local EMS that supports all kinds of trail local trails, runs rides, offers clinics, has a local team... empIoys locals... etc... and has had it's share of decent wrench turners (and a few not so good ones as any place). I think like any bike shop big or small some are bad some are good- to lump all of them together is a bit short sighted.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

No Clue Crew
    Like I said, the owner of the LBS spent some time going over options and finding a bike for me, then I went and bought it somewhere else for 30 bucks less...
    You should be flogged for wasting the LBS' time. That's why they are more expensive. Had you gone to the chain store in the first place you certainly would not have had anyone to guide you to the correct purchase. If a store's employee (bike or otherwise) spends time with me and provides helpful info & guidance they will always get my business. That's just good morals, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    These have all been good points , but obviously I should clarify a few things ..

The drive wasn't a problem until I had to bring the bike back a few times because I am in that city on occasion and my fiance likes to go there ... I was really just stopping in there so I didn't have to go into Borders with her... I didn't even know that EMS had Felt Bikes when I went in.

I think the biggest reason I bought it there was that it was on the floor , ready to go ...Like I said before, the LBS would have had to order it and as anyone in a long term relationship (especially those with kids...) appreciates that sometimes you have to seize the moment when you get the "go" ... and as stupid as this may sound to some ...my budget was four hundred bucks and not a dollar more, so even though the LBS was only 30 bucks more..it was still over budget...

Also, I gave the LBS the opportunity to match the price and they declined (I understand why...)

as far as big0mikes comment about being flogged for wasting the LBS's time;
    I spent less than ten minutes with them, I have been away from the scene for a while and this shop hasn't been open that long , so I really didn't know at the time what they contribute to the local scene.... not only that but apparently anyone who "shops" should be flogged for not buying at the first place that talks to them .. I doubt you give car salesmen that kind of loyalty ... if you talk to anyone who sells something, you are obligated to buy it from them ...no matter what? seems logical to me..

At the end of the day I ended up with a bike from a LBS an it's been working out great...

also not saying all "chain" stores like EMS are bad or that all LBS's are good because neither are true... but in general you get a little more info / setup help at a LBS and you will almost always pay more...and the EMS in my area doesn't do anything for the local scene (other than sell bikes) ...

The one thing about EMS is that they blow stuff out when the season is ending or over..Bought my T.Rice LIb Tech there at the end of last season with Flux bindings all for under $300 (which is rediculously cheap !!!) and have been very happy with it...

hope this clears things up a little ....

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Instead of returning the bike, why don't you just bring it to the LBS and pay them to set it up properly for you?
    Buy some accessories too while you're there.

At Work
    You found a FELT for $400.00?
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

No Clue Crew
    as far as big0mikes comment about being flogged for wasting the LBS's time; I spent less than ten minutes with them,
    What I gathered from your original post was the LBS helped you pick a bike, right size, right bike for you and your budget, etc... Maybe it was only 10 minutes but it sounded to me as though the LBS employee played consultant and that job usually gets compensated.

I doubt you give car salesmen that kind of loyalty
    Certainly not. It's a car salesman's job to rape you. And to rape you to the tune of thousands. I don't consider the LBS making a considerably lesser amount (in the case of a $400 bike maybe $50 to $75?) on a bike in the same realm as a car salesman. I'm sure LBS employees wouldn't appreciate the comparison.

Glad it all worked out, though...

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Certainly not. It's a car salesman's job to rape you. And to rape you to the tune of thousands. I don't consider the LBS making a considerably lesser amount (in the case of a $400 bike maybe $50 to $75?) on a bike in the same realm as a car salesman. I'm sure LBS employees wouldn't appreciate the comparison.
    Off th topic but the entire thread is...Just curious what logic is behind this?

$400 Bike with a $50-75 profit is ~12-18.75%

$30,000 car with a $3750-5625 profit is ~12-18.75%

this makes the car salesman a "rapist" and the bike salesman a hero?
    I Just wish I could ride more!

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Also, I gave the LBS the opportunity to match the price and they declined

what a guy

Members who have read this thread: 0