Thinking of selling FS, going to SS 29er- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    the air is thin up here..
    Reputation: noot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    738

    Thinking of selling FS, going to SS 29er

    I've currently got a 2008 Fisher Hifi Deluxe with some upgrades (Bontrager Rhythm Pro Scandiums, RaceFace Next SL bar, Stylo OCT 3.3 cranks).

    I absolutely love my bike, but I feel like I want a change. I'm 6'6" 220lbs, but never had a problem with my HiFi, even with the stock Bontrager Race wheels.

    I'm tempted to sell it (perhaps at a "give it away" price to a friend), and pick up a 2011 Trek/Fisher Rig. I can't justify spending any money, so keeping the hifi isn't an option. I might upgrade the brakes right away (to Formula RX?), not sure, and I'd probably swap my Next SL bar onto the Rig.

    Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. I feel like I need a change. I'm not much of a marathon cardio rider, I think I'd rather push hard up hills, and give up and walk when required. I live in a city with a river valley, and I do a race in the mountains each year.

    Another note: I have access to Trek/Fisher, and Kona, as well as parts, for cheap (cost), so if you have a better idea, let me know

  2. #2
    Pit Bull lover
    Reputation: AaronJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    72
    i say go for it. I am always buying new bikes and selling old ones to fund the new builds. In fact, just today I sold my SIR 9 and niner carbon fork and SS wheels to fund the purchase of a new build, a Salsa Fargo. Singlespeeds are fun, and so is getting a new bike. If it makes you happy, go for it. By the way, I had an 08 Rig and it was an awesome bike. If you tire from the SS, you can run gears on that bike. I say do it if it makes you happy.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,505
    change is the spice of life. SS is a lot of fun, especially if you go full rigid.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

  4. #4
    Rider and Wrench
    Reputation: knottshore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    Going with a Single speed or HT 1X9 would be a great way to spice up your local ride- if you ride a whole lot of extended climbs you may want to have the option of running a rear D- so the rig sounds like a nice idea-

    Another option might be to see if you can sell your frame and pick up something like a new El Mariachi or other frame that can run gears etc... and just swap over the parts? just a thought-
    I Just wish I could ride more!


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    408
    You won't be the 1st person to switch from FS to 29er SS. I have, and I haven't looked back. I like the efficiency of the HT and the simplicity of the SS. The SS has made me a much stronger rider.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    372
    No way in hell, not even with a gun to my head, but that is just me.....

    I'd like to have a SS to go with my FS 29'er, but no way in hell I'd sell my go to bike to get it. I can do a SS to try for $500, if it is something that interests me I can sink a bunch of money in it after trying it.

    As far as making you a stronger rider, I can see that. I have been passed on the local trails by more SS riders than all others put together, I don't see them on lap 2 or 3 but that doesn't mean they aren't still out there, I don't know if they are shooting their wad in the first 10-15 miles and getting one lap in or if they are just not catching me again on lap 3......

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    180
    I too have been debating to get a 2011 Rig or Hifi Pro, part of me is saying a SS will make me a better rider and save $$$. Hmmmmm......
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  8. #8
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    I was fortunate enough to keep my FS bike while trying out a SS years ago. Since then, I no longer have a FS bike or any geared bikes period. If you think you can handle it, go for it. Life's about trying out new things, even if it's out of your comfort zone.

  9. #9
    the air is thin up here..
    Reputation: noot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    738
    Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming

    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Another option might be to see if you can sell your frame and pick up something like a new El Mariachi or other frame that can run gears etc... and just swap over the parts? just a thought-
    This is a good idea, however I don't want to go SS without switching to 29er as well. I'm sortof an "all or nothing" type

    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Life's about trying out new things, even if it's out of your comfort zone.
    That's good advice Basically that's what I'm feeling.

    I'm one of those people that is passionate about everything, most specifically stuff that I have. Either because I just happen to buy good stuff (I sure do enough research), or because I'm ultra biased and narrow-minded Either way, I have a feeling once I try it I'll be all over it.

    Worst case, I'll be in denial about hating it for a year, and I'll end up spending a bit of $$ to go to geared, and maybe FS again.

    One thing I am a bit concerned about... how does HT 29er compare to 5" FS 26er over the bumpy stuff? I love that I can sit down or pedal away on my fisher over (almost) any terrain.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EstebanRapido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    105
    Keep your FS bike...dig up $400 bucks and get a Redline Monocog

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    333
    I haven't even looked at my BlurLT since getting my SS Rig. Way too much fun. Did a ride last week that climbed 2,300 feet in 6 miles. We call it the 33 Switchback Salute. Guess what, along comes switchback #20 and we start passing full gear bikes. I hear one person say....look here are some more 29er's. my reply."were the rest of them singlespeeds!" Silence is golden...
    Last edited by 2Slo4U; 08-16-2010 at 07:24 AM.

  12. #12
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,112
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
    I haven't even looked at my BlurLT since getting my SS Rig. Way too much fun. Did a ride last week that climbed 2,300 feet in 6 miles. We call it the 33 Switchback Salute. Guess what, along comes switchback #20 and we start passing full gear bikes. I hear one person say....look here are some more 29er's. my reply."we're the rest of them singlespeeds!" Silence is golden...
    But your BlurLT is a 26er ? Thats the reason why you have not ridden it , get yourself a real FS, then you will find there is a place for having both a HT and FS 29 inch bikes.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

  13. #13
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by noot
    I've currently got a 2008 Fisher Hifi Deluxe with some upgrades (Bontrager Rhythm Pro Scandiums, RaceFace Next SL bar, Stylo OCT 3.3 cranks).

    I absolutely love my bike, but I feel like I want a change. I'm 6'6" 220lbs, but never had a problem with my HiFi, even with the stock Bontrager Race wheels.

    I'm tempted to sell it (perhaps at a "give it away" price to a friend), and pick up a 2011 Trek/Fisher Rig. I can't justify spending any money, so keeping the hifi isn't an option. I might upgrade the brakes right away (to Formula RX?), not sure, and I'd probably swap my Next SL bar onto the Rig.

    Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. I feel like I need a change. I'm not much of a marathon cardio rider, I think I'd rather push hard up hills, and give up and walk when required. I live in a city with a river valley, and I do a race in the mountains each year.

    Another note: I have access to Trek/Fisher, and Kona, as well as parts, for cheap (cost), so if you have a better idea, let me know
    I think this is a great way to get that change you are looking for.

    Personally - I sold my FS last February and retained my rigid SS. I'm a little bit slower on the trail with the rigid - but the smiles for miles factor is still in favor of this decision.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.