Thinkin About Giving up the FS 26er- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,176

    Thinkin About Giving up the FS 26er

    So I'm going through a mental crisis.

    I have a super awesome '09 Giant Trance X0 that I love dearly. However, near the end of this past season I had the pleasure of riding a 29er on the trail. That was probably the most fun I had on the trail on a long time.

    When I switched to full suspension I was convinced that it was the best thing ever, but for some reason, I just want a HT 29er. Financially, it's not possible for me to have both. So I have to decide.

    Will being on 29" wheels make up for the loss of the rear shock?
    adam michigan karate monkey

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,176
    Well, Never mind for now, I just went outside and did figure-8's (lol) on the driveway and realized how much I like my Trance!

    I'll get a 29er someday.
    adam michigan karate monkey

  3. #3
    808+909 = Party Good Time
    Reputation: chumbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Will being on 29" wheels make up for the loss of the rear shock?
    No but it helps. They certainly are fun. Mind you so is any bike... keep riding the trance till it breaks then get a 29er

  4. #4
    meh....
    Reputation: Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Well, Never mind for now, I just went outside and did figure-8's (lol) on the driveway and realized how much I like my Trance!

    I'll get a 29er someday.

    so you do lots of figure 8's in the driveway?

    glad to hear the 26'rs are good for something.

  5. #5
    Rider down under
    Reputation: Hugor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Will being on 29" wheels make up for the loss of the rear shock?
    No. That's one of the greatest MTBR myths going round.

  6. #6
    the flerg
    Reputation: Knobby4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    79
    It's certainly a myth as Hugor said. After having the same mental dilemma, I was able to get a 29, sold my Epiphany. Love the 29 hardtail and with low pressure it has less edge to it. It's no replacement for a full susser. Missed it enough to pick up another 26fs. Sorry you can't do both, they both get their day in the sun.
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

  7. #7
    Virtus pre nummis
    Reputation: Blazerwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    367
    Why not? If the old bike is paid for what's the big deal? Hell it's only chump change this day and age anyway! At least that what I hear on this forum!

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,511
    In my neck o' the woods, the perfect two-bike setup: A mid-travel (6-inch) slackish 26er FS and a hardtail 29er SS.

    These two bikes cover 99% of all the riding I'll ever do.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    285
    Good call,as much as I like my 29er's,for there stability,predictable handling and rollability. I'll never give up 26er's for the acceleration and carving turns there is just no comparison.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    In my neck o' the woods, the perfect two-bike setup: A mid-travel (6-inch) slackish 26er FS and a hardtail 29er SS.

    These two bikes cover 99% of all the riding I'll ever do.
    x2...'cept with me it is a 4" travel 29er and a beefy, slackish 6" 26er.

  11. #11
    Now wr rollin on a Boom!
    Reputation: archtop44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    282
    Yeah, after riding a full rigid 29 and a very similar frame rigid 26er, and a full sus 26er, I'm gonna go with: The big wheels feel like a substitute for 1 to 2 inches of travel over a series of bumps, which is a lot less than 4 inches! And landing a jump, all the roll-over-stuff advantages don't really apply, so your landings are pretty much just your tire width on a rigid bike.

    That said, lots of trails are perfect for that 1 to 2 inches, so you can ride hardtail and have a ton of fun.

    The 2 bike way rocks-- a 29 hardtail and any size FS, but if you're on a budget or have serious space constraints, I'd stick with what ya got and enjoy it. That's a rockin' all-around bike.
    "I think it's cool how the best line is also usually the most beautiful line" --Kurt F, Tamarancho, Safety Meeting

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    So I'm going through a mental crisis.

    I have a super awesome '09 Giant Trance X0 that I love dearly. However, near the end of this past season I had the pleasure of riding a 29er on the trail. That was probably the most fun I had on the trail on a long time.

    When I switched to full suspension I was convinced that it was the best thing ever, but for some reason, I just want a HT 29er. Financially, it's not possible for me to have both. So I have to decide.

    Will being on 29" wheels make up for the loss of the rear shock?
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have a beautiful Cannondale Rush that I love with all my heart. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

    I can afford to have multiple bikes but my work schedule doesn't give me a whole lot of time to ride, so it doesn't make sense to have multiple bikes. I have been thinking of selling my Rush for a Stumpjumper 29.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33
    im only rocking a ht 29er for now.. i dont see the tire being that much differnece as far as sidewall to be more "plush" but it is like a monstertruck when it comes to rolling over things... hopefully ill have a fs 2-something soon. but until then ive grown VERY fond of my thudbuster.
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    While you could get by with one bike, it wouldn't be as fun as a bike intended for the type of terrain you wish to cover.

    For rocky, hilly, rough trails, I use the FS 26er. It's a safe, stable bike in dangerous terrain, and it turns so well. On the contrary, I did 50 miles on the C&O towpath with the FS this past summer, and didn't enjoy it at all. The bike was too slow even with fork and rear shock locked. I did 30 miles a few years ago on a 29er, and loved every mile.

    I just got a new 29er in a 1x9 rigid setup that will be perfect for fast, smooth, flowing trails, and gravel or dirt road rides. It will be my precursor to singlespeed, and can be easily converted. (This is the bike I would use on the C&O towpath and some of the easier trails in MD and VA)

    A rigid steel 29er can be had for well under 1K on sale, a fraction of the price of a decent FS. If you want to take the 29er plunge, consider the rigid steel bike that can be upgraded with a suspension fork later as your biking budget permits. Or you could convert the bike to a commuter later with the rigid fork. Take a look at Surly, Redline, or Kona for options.

    (And...when the trails are muddy, I switch over to the road bike. Its a different sport (and bike) altogether.)

    As others have said, the FS 26er and HT 29er are two very different rides. It's pointless to compare them as a substitute for each other. They are each better in their own way.

  15. #15
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,759

    I completely agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugor
    No. That's one of the greatest MTBR myths going round.
    I have a HT 29er and it beat me silly. I was developing a case of 'roids

    Oh, for the poster, get a FS 29er and keep your FS 26er. I have both and enjoy both for different rides.

  16. #16
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have a beautiful Cannondale Rush that I love with all my heart. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

    I can afford to have multiple bikes but my work schedule doesn't give me a whole lot of time to ride, so it doesn't make sense to have multiple bikes. I have been thinking of selling my Rush for a Stumpjumper 29.
    I just sold a carbon Rush I built up in December. I rode it once and, while I liked it, I decided I'd rather replace it with something I really want. I'll go ahead and admit my 29er bias. I've been on the big wheels since 2005 and, while the Rush was an experiment (and, honestly, a beautiful and great riding bike) the 29ers just ride better for me. I'd recommend you borrow a 29er or at least try to get a shop demo to get a feel for the bikes. You should really ride one out on the trail before you commit. Plus, if you wait until you can ride the trail it'll be Spring and you're Rush will be worth more than it is now.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.