Things are about to get "Juicy"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Things are about to get "Juicy"

Just ordered my new Soma Juice frame, RockShox Reba 29er, WTB Dual Duty wheelset, and Maxxis Ignitor tires today, so I should have everything I need to build up a new ride.

All the XT stuff on my bike is going on the Soma and I will be selling the frame, fork, and wheels to regain some of my investment. I went with a cheapo wheelset for now with the plans on upgrading later, hopefully sooner if I can sell my old parts and a couple of other bikes for enough money. Then, I can use this WTB Dual Duty/Deore disc wheelset for a backup road training wheelset.

Anyway, just thought I'd say something. I am really excited. Everything should come in by the end of the week, so I'll be posting pics soon.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

In FTF We Trust
    Should be sweet, those SOMA bikes sure look nice. Looking at your stable, I'm surprised you didn't go for a Unit 29.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I probably would have if Kona had any of them. They are completely out of stock on the Unit, Unit 2-9, and Explosif. I think they are having some kind of delay in production. I like the bent top tube design on the Soma though, so I think it should look pretty bad a$$.

mtbr member

None...

it's only 5mm!

President Skroob
    Jan 2006

Question on the Juice

I actually just ordered my disc specific large Juice and Reba 29er today. I just noticed on the Soma website that the frame is designed for a for with 80mm of travel. The Reba has 85mm to 100mm. I am a little curious if that will cause any trouble riding or will running the Reba at 85mm be alright. I wanted an 80mm WB but decided spending 200+ less on the Reba. Just curious how much of a problem that 5mm will cause.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I know, but I have never built a frame up before and don't really know how close these things need to be.

mtbr member

congrats!...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Just ordered my new Soma Juice frame, RockShox Reba 29er, WTB Dual Duty wheelset, and Maxxis Ignitor tires today, so I should have everything I need to build up a new ride.

All the XT stuff on my bike is going on the Soma and I will be selling the frame, fork, and wheels to regain some of my investment. I went with a cheapo wheelset for now with the plans on upgrading later, hopefully sooner if I can sell my old parts and a couple of other bikes for enough money. Then, I can use this WTB Dual Duty/Deore disc wheelset for a backup road training wheelset.

Anyway, just thought I'd say something. I am really excited. Everything should come in by the end of the week, so I'll be posting pics soon.
    i doubt you'll be dissapointed. the juice frame's quality (paint, welds, ride quality) far exceeds its price. i have one (20in frame) and absolutely LOVE IT !. its funny, but people (with much more expensive frames) drool all over my juice on the trails. i have the red one w/ white bros. fork, salsa delgado/xtr wheels, bonty xr's and racelite saddle, sram 9.0sl drivetrain, brakes and levers, truvativ stylo 180mm cranks, salsa cromo stem and shaft post and azonic cf-1 riser bar. the ride is sweet too, it handles tight and twisty root and rock infested east coast trails beautifully. plus it only weighs 26 lbs w/ pedals, the frames 5.25 lbs alone. not bad for a $400 plus frame. for my do it all trail bike, i couldnt ask for more .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    i doubt you'll be dissapointed. the juice frame's quality (paint, welds, ride quality) far exceeds its price. i have one (20in frame) and absolutely LOVE IT !. its funny, but people (with much more expensive frames) drool all over my juice on the trails. i have the red one w/ white bros. fork, salsa delgado/xtr wheels, bonty xr's and racelite saddle, sram 9.0sl drivetrain, brakes and levers, truvativ stylo 180mm cranks, salsa cromo stem and shaft post and azonic cf-1 riser bar. the ride is sweet too, it handles tight and twisty root and rock infested east coast trails beautifully. plus it only weighs 26 lbs w/ pedals, the frames 5.25 lbs alone. not bad for a $400 plus frame. for my do it all trail bike, i couldnt ask for more .
    Sounds like an awesome build! One of our suppliers just started carrying Soma frames. We ordered a 4one5 SS frame and I was very impressed by the quality. That made me feel much better about ordering the Juice sight unseen.

My bike is going to be set up all the parts from my Kona Kikapu, except for the wheels and fork of course. So, I will have all XT drivetrain, RF Evolve XC 2 piece cranks, Thomson stem and post, Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars, and Hayes HFX9 hydros. My current bike ranges from 29-29.5 lbs depending upon the pedals I am running. My frame weighs probably over 7 lbs, so I expect to drop a couple of lbs there. My Marzocchi fork weighs around 4.5lbs, so I expect to drop another 3/4 to 1 lb. The cheapo wheels I ordered along with a slightly heavier tire will probably offset the lighter Reba fork I am going to have, so I am hoping the bike comes in around 27 lbs or so. Eventually, I will get a nicer wheelset and use the cheapo one for running slicks.

Frame and wheels should be in Thursday and the fork should be in Friday, so I am stoked to get it built up this weekend. Too bad the weather is going to suck, but I might be too excited to ride it to let that stop me.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006

My Soma

I am building my Soma up with a Reba shock, SRAM X.9 shifters and rear deraileur, Avid BB7 discs with SD 7 levers, and a thomson post and stem. I got a couple sets of 29er wheels from Mike C., one cheap set and one nicer set both sets DT Swiss rims and hubs, and RC Evolve cranks. I don't have handlebars or grips yet and plan to move the saddle and pedals between my 26er and 29er.

I plan to use this bike to race the AZT TT as long as I get it built and broken in by race time. Not to throw in spam, but the wheel he made came out great. The nicer, lighter pair for racing came out almost as light as my Speed Dreams 26ers.

mtbr member

i think it will make...

i plan to use this bike to race the AZT TT as long as I get it built and broken in by race time.

an excellent race bike, its steers very quickly and is quite nimble in the tight stuff. at the same time its pretty stable on the downs and smooth over the rough stuff. it would be especially great for enduro's and 24hr races imho.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

thats exactly...

Too bad the weather is going to suck, but I might be too excited to ride it to let that stop me.
    what i did !. went out in 30 deg weather on a 16 mile loop. by the time i was heading back that mornings frozen trails were mud, mud, mud!. i was covered, as was the bike but i had a great time. i was amazed at the amount of traction i was able to get through the mud and over wet rocks, roots and leaves. i felt like the soma really proved its value that day, its one of the greatest deals in mtbking imho.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pics Pics Pics!!!

Woohoo, frame and wheels came in today. I am crossing my fingers that the fork comes on the big brown truck tomorrow. Once I have that, I can slap the stem/bars/controls on it and start getting things set up. Lets hopes I have some more pics of a complete bike tomorrow or Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    i'm also lovin my soma. it rides fantastic! you should look into getting a cane creek s3 plus 5 headset. w/ a standard headset i found that the rebe didnt clear the downtube. the s3 plus5 gives you a little more clearance. i still have a tiny bit of rub on the paint from the gate knob. but its oh so slight. have fun w/ your bike. you wont be dissapointed at all.
    Simple Living, High Thinking

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I was eventually going to look into a different headset such as that s3 + 5. I hate to ditch the headset I have now, since it wasn't terribly cheap (not CK expensive at least). At least I know the S3 is a nice headset for the money. I have a regular one on my Kona Dew Deluxe hybrid. Anyway, I was going to put a small strip of velcro on the downtube where the contact point is to keep it from dinging or scratching the frame.

On a side note, I was gettin' down right giddy looking at these 29" wheels today. I kept holding them up to some 26ers and laughing at how small they look. Now that I have the rear wheel mounted in the frame, I think it looks mutant. It is sick. I love it! This is definately going to be an interesting ride.

mtbr member
    i went w/ the velocity dyad rims in the eggplant color. it adds to the midnight silver scheme so well. your gonna love how well that thing rides, the 631 reynolds is super dope, very compliant. very comfortable. good luck!
    Simple Living, High Thinking

Members who have read this thread: 0