Is there aTallboy LT for 2011?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Is there aTallboy LT for 2011?

Has anyone heard if SC is going to make a Tallboy LT?

mtbr member

No good

As long as Mike Ferrentino is a double-speak stooge and Turner replies to E-mails, I'd wager nope. Oh did I say that they are always and constantly inundated with orders from all over the world for kiddy wheels. Poor excuse I've been hearing since 2005 or so.
    Those huys who order them are clueless about 29ers and continue to ride small wheels till someone show them a beefy and meaty 29er in eastern europe or Russia or Kazahstan for instance.

Furthermore they even conceded that they knew very little about big wheels and Tallboy was they training field or a brain fart whatever. When started their existance they didn't bother to question the, introduced by accident, 559mm rim. They made an assumption that this size fits all, pity that they didn't make such assumption about frame sizes or rotor sizes. Same logic applies here.
    Also they concetrate on refining kiddy wheel frames rather than refining and creating 120 and 140mm units. There are Rebas in 120 -140,, range why not use them on Tallboy 140mm? Why not make also a 120mm version? So many zeallots put 120mm on their 100mm tallboy, why not add the freaking 20mm on the rear, huh? Why not add 12x150mm maxle to stiffen the rear end?

The answer is that they invested so much R&D in kid size that they must obtain a viable turnover on them to move forward. Read- like 5 years. They even didn't believe that a DH 29er could be done while Intense prototyped the 2951.
    Read the interview at the bottom. Clueless They know that 29er dh is impossible although they haven't prototyped one.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/07/13/...downhill-bike/

Unless they come up with an excellent product and make up to us for being the last one to jump on this bandwagon, I'm not iterested. I made hundreds of "quilt trips" as they refer to me here
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/?p=166

The answer was always the same "we don't have plans blah blah.. demand blah blah"
    So change your plans, drop some kid wheel models, hire more stuff. Offer supply and demand will follow.
    Do all we need several incarnations of each model on 26" in carbon, alu, titanium? So much R&D in one wheel size. Why not add 622mm and then diversify.

They believe that a 559mm rim was introduced based on mathemathic and scientific research and ought to be a point of reference of benchmark or seomething normal.
    If they really cared thwy would have several 29ers by now. They wouldn't wait another five years to come up with longer travel in 2015. They offer only one 29er without small size, because their aestetics can't get over it.

They are implying that a small person on small frame can't enjoy a 29er as much as a 26er in S size.

I'm sorry for true harsh words, but why should I mitigate or blurr the truth? If I am wrong somewhere I solemnly apologize. For being so slow I don't trust them too much.

ps. They started having fun on their own Tallboy but still are reluctant to test more models, elongate the stroke, add rear maxles, contribute to manufacture some 29er specific gearing or parts etc.
    Last edited by Davidcopperfield; 08-13-2010 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well not sure what all that is about, just wanted to know if the Tallboy was going to 140mm rear travel and maybe a 12 x 150mm axle. trying to decide if I want to wait for the tallboy or buy the intense tracer 29 if SC is not going to make a LT iteration of the Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    if you run a 150mm rear, you need an 83mm BB shell, which gives you huge Q factor because the cranks are spaced wider apart. This isn't great for your knees on long rides, which presumably one might want to do.
    Unless DC is now going to say that a "wide stance" goes well with wagon wheels.
    giddy up little cowboy!
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Niner Wfo9 has 73mmBB and 150x12mm rear maxle.
    @dcarterdman they believe that you shouldn't ride rough terrain on a 29er. Check nine wfo9
    http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?l...bikes&taxid=93 go with 150x12 mm maxle.

Members who have read this thread: 0