Tallboy v. Epic?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tallboy v. Epic?

Or I should say, Tallboy compared to Epic? A 29’er purchase is most likely in my future.

My 2006 Stumpjumper FSR has too much pedal-bob. Also, I am interested in moving away from “All Mountain” towards more of a race oriented geometry. Those two things aren’t related to wheel diameter – just two things I want out of a new bike. I will keep good ‘ol Stumpy.

I am 6’ 4” and roughly 200 pounds. I think a 29’er is the way to go as far as rolling through roots, rocks, etc., especially as it would be a second bike for me. The places I ride most are not all that technical – they are built more with flow than rough stuff. On road trips to more gnarly destinations, Stumpy could be the weapon of choice.

With all that being said, how would the Tallboy and Epic compare, based on my desires from a new (second) bike?

I will add that my Santa Cruz LBS is one great bunch of guys. Nothing against my Specialized LBS locations, but I would call them average in comparison.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    This one has been covered to no end both in the forums and in industry reviews.

I read in another thread what I think sums it up best. Sorry I don't know who said it or I would give credit. Here it is, paraphrased:
    Epic=If you want a race bike that you can take on the trails
    Tallboy=If you want a trail bike that you can race

mtbr member
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member

Thanks!

Great reading. Thanks for the link. I read it from stem to stern.

I have no aspirations of being able to spend the kind of coin it takes to be in the S-Works realm, but I could certainly get useful information out of the discussion.

The price jump from the Epic Comp 29er (aluminum) to the Comp Carbon seems too high for me to seriously consider. $3,000 to $4,100. Granted, those are list prices, but even at list, a $1,100 jump seems to mean I am comparing an aluminum Epic 29er to a Tallboy.

It looks like $3,600 is the entry-level list price for a package. I have zero components to build up a TB, and don't really have the inclination to figure out a build. Although...

As I mentioned, my LBS that reps Santa Cruz is top notch. I'm sure it's worth my time talking with them. Maybe they could build up something that suites my desires.

I am especially interested in my new bike being firm when I climb. I can see myself being more than happy to test-and-tune the Brain setup - it wouldn't bother me. I also, as I said, I want a more responsive bike than what I am currently on. I'm sure both will feel more that way, but I like reading about how the two bikes compare on that subject.

Anyway, any thoughts y'all have about the aluminum Epic and an entry-level TB would be appreciated.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar

There's always next year.
    As someone roughly your size, if you have a local Pivot dealership, I'd also throw in 429 as a bike that is stiff and lacking "bob". Read up though, test the bikes you're interested in, and you should find something that you're looking for. Its amazing to see how many more legitimate options there are for FS 29ers now. I've been in 3 bike shops the last 2 days, and all of them had FS options on the floor.

mtbr member

tb

im your size also. coming from a 20 year old hardtail. trust me when i say i was worried about the bob. demoed a few tallboys and fell in love and bought a demo. if you can demo one or two bikes. niner makes some good bikes also the shop i demoed my santa cruz's at had a whole fleet of niner demo bikes. good luck and have fun. it doesnt really matter what everybody else likes/rides. find the bike you like and go for it.
    dave
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have an Epic 29er, also 6'4". Bike fits perfectly. Look at the head tube sizes carefully(TB=4.7" Epic=5.5"). If you like your bars an inch below your seat you will be running almost an inch more spacers on the Tallboy. The Epic doesn't bob at all, even when standing out of the saddle and hammering.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    http://twentynineinches.com/2010/03/...marathon-29er/

PS: I know you did not ask, but you might toss in a 2010+ second gen JET9 to the mix of options. Those were on a great sale a while back.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Tá mé ar meisce.
    6'3" and way into clyde territory. I have a 2010 epic and for me it is a a full suspension bike that has hard tail tendencies. I really am in love with this bike. I like it better that my *gasp* Sultan. I never thought I would own a Specialized, but they hit a home run with this one. I have never even seen a tallboy so I cannot compare them but thought I would share my experience.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Test ride a Mach 429.. no comparison...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    Test ride a Mach 429.. no comparison...
    I just read through the info on the Pivot web site. Very interesting. It sounds great.

My biggest concern is that there is no dealer in Indiana. I will be going up to Chicago in February and staying near Johnny Sprockets, but I doubt they would have an XL 429 in stock.

Even if they did, not having a LBS carrying Pivot in Indy is a big negative.

mtbr member
    I was in a similar position as yourself. I test rode all the bikes you mentioned, along with some others and really thought the PIVOT stood out in terms of ride quality... I called PIVOT and they directed me to SPEEDGOAT.COM which is now based in Chicago. GREAT company... They really took care of me because I had some bike fit challenges (I am a tweaner)... Good Luck... definately try and test ride the bikes.. its suprising how different they ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave
    Or I should say, Tallboy compared to Epic? A 29’er purchase is most likely in my future.

My 2006 Stumpjumper FSR has too much pedal-bob. Also, I am interested in moving away from “All Mountain” towards more of a race oriented geometry. Those two things aren’t related to wheel diameter – just two things I want out of a new bike. I will keep good ‘ol Stumpy.

I am 6’ 4” and roughly 200 pounds. I think a 29’er is the way to go as far as rolling through roots, rocks, etc., especially as it would be a second bike for me. The places I ride most are not all that technical – they are built more with flow than rough stuff. On road trips to more gnarly destinations, Stumpy could be the weapon of choice.

With all that being said, how would the Tallboy and Epic compare, based on my desires from a new (second) bike?

I will add that my Santa Cruz LBS is one great bunch of guys. Nothing against my Specialized LBS locations, but I would call them average in comparison.
    Whatever 29er you buy, Tallboy, Epic, 429, DW Sultan, Rip 9, lets get real...you will NOT be riding that 26 Stumpjumper anymore. Even though right now you think you will. Your mtb world is about to change, and because of that, you may need a bike that can handle the good stuff here in Indiana, as well as the Pisgah, Moab trip.

Fit. Geometry. Suspension. In that order.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Rideon
    ...lets get real...you will NOT be riding that 26 Stumpjumper anymore. Even though right now you think you will...
    Probably true, and that thought has been lurking in the back of my mind. A second bike, for when the new one is in the shop - that would be it. No use for a mud bike - I don't ride muddy trails. Maybe keep Stumpy set up with my studded snow tires for the remainder of the winter then put him on the auction block.

The midwest and North Carolina - that's where the new bike will be called on. Utah, AZ, Vermont, etc = rental. Not shipping or flying with an XL 29er after negative experiences with old Stumpy and such shenanigans.

I have been putting a lot of thought into this and focusing on what I want my new bike to do that old Stumpy doesn't deliver. Budget is also a harsh reality. Another factor is purchasing from an LBS - that is important to me. Those things keep it narrowed to the Epic and TB.

I know I could get either bike and be riding with a big fat grin for miles and miles, but I'm not getting two bikes, and I'm not flipping a coin. Nothing was tipping the scales until I realized that the biggest key for me is being able to dial in hardtail-like firmness to the back end. I'm a gadget nut, so tweaking the Brain is not an issue.

Talking with a LBS yesterday, I realized that the "bang for the buck" factor with Epic Comp (Al) is really high. Moving up to the Carbon Comp sets you back another grand. For that you get carbon and 2x10. Add another $800 to get upgraded components on the Expert Carbon. Those bumps would be mostly lost on me, and I can't justify it from a budget standpoint. The bang for the buck on those two levels just seems way too small for my situation.

It would be another $660 buying a TB over the Epic Comp, and I realized that I would be bummed if I ever felt tail-bob when I rode it. I know, I know, people say it climbs like a hard tail, but after reading A LOT of reviews, the TB is not going to be as firm as the Epic, especially when getting out of the saddle and hammering.

When you get right down to it, riding mostly in Indiana really points to a hard tail. If it weren't for some minor back problems, I would probably do a hard-tail 29er. The Epic seems like the best combination of things for me for the next several years.

I am not in a position, storage-wise, to be a guy with a quiver of bikes. And to your point, Stumpy is either going to get sold or gather dust. For riding mostly in Indiana and having one bike, I think the Epic fits the bill. So, I am likely going to give the Epic a whirl, and probably enjoy every minute of it.

It's funny - I am kind of bummed about not getting a TB. A lot to like, but not the best tool for what I want to accomplish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I switched from a 26" hardtail to the Epic Expert 29er and I LOVE it. I test rode the S-Works 29er hardtail a couple of times thinking I wanted to stay with a hardtail, especially given the extra "suspension" the larger wheels provide. But one ride on the Epic swayed me to go FS. If you really like ore prefer the performance of a hardtail, then the Epic is likely the best FS bike for you. I have absolutely no regrets with my choice - I hope you find the same experience and enjoy the new bike as much as I am mine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have ridden both a Tallboy and the Epic 29er. I also owned a 26" StumpJumper and have ridden the StumpJumper 29er. As far as handling goes, the Tallboy feels more like the StumpJumper to me. Obviously the Tallboy is a nicer rig in my opinion than the StumpJumper. It is great looking bike as well. After riding the Epic 29er though, I could not think about the Tallboy. The Epic definitely out climbs the Tallboy. Both are great bikes and by reading your last post, I think you have made your decision.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

Members who have read this thread: 0