Tallboy 4 Fork and Geo help- Mtbr.com
    JRuss1524
    Apr 2020

Tallboy 4 Fork and Geo help

Hey! I picked up a Tallboy 4 R build about a month or two ago, and am liking it. I just find that the fork (130mm fox rhythm 34) is outgunned by the rear vpp suspension.

I am thinking about upgrading the fork. I noticed that the high end carbon Tallboys come with a Pike on the front. From what I gathered, the axel to crown measurement on the Pike is much longer than the axel to crown on the same travel fox fork. The geometry charts show the same on all the builds. How is that possible giving the different measurements? I reached out to Santa Cruz and i didnít not get a real answer.

I would like to upgrade the fork to either 140/150mm but would like to keep the geo as close to stock as possible. I originally thought Iíd get a pike, but the larger Axel to crown measurement+the additional travel seems like it would mess with the geometry of the bike too much. Would it make more sense to upgrade to a 140mm fox float or something of the sorts?

I am not sure if I am thinking about this correctly and I hope I am making sense.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    can you just put a grip 2 damper in your fork-----I think so---a bit over $300

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post
    Hey! I picked up a Tallboy 4 R build about a month or two ago, and am liking it. I just find that the fork (130mm fox rhythm 34) is outgunned by the rear vpp suspension.

I am thinking about upgrading the fork. I noticed that the high end carbon Tallboys come with a Pike on the front. From what I gathered, the axel to crown measurement on the Pike is much longer than the axel to crown on the same travel fox fork. The geometry charts show the same on all the builds. How is that possible giving the different measurements? I reached out to Santa Cruz and i didnít not get a real answer.

I would like to upgrade the fork to either 140/150mm but would like to keep the geo as close to stock as possible. I originally thought Iíd get a pike, but the larger Axel to crown measurement+the additional travel seems like it would mess with the geometry of the bike too much. Would it make more sense to upgrade to a 140mm fox float or something of the sorts?

I am not sure if I am thinking about this correctly and I hope I am making sense.

thanks!
    What do you mean outgunned?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "From what I gathered, the axel to crown measurement on the Pike is much longer than the axel to crown on the same travel fox fork."

I have not found this to be the case. Most same travel forks hover within 10mm's of axle to crown height. Make sure you are comparing the same wheel size models.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jruss1524 View Post

thanks!
    Rockshox Pike A-C @140mm travel is 551mm. Fox Float 34 A-C @140mm travel is 547mm.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
    What do you mean outgunned?
    Yeah. What's lacking and what do you hope to gain? What have you tried setting up the existing fork?
    What, me worry?