Tallboy 3 Crankset Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Tallboy 3 Crankset Advice

Just picked up a 2019 Tallboy 3 (used, new to me) and am seeking to swap out the existing XT crankset (spindle length) for the XX1 crankset from my existing ride. The TB3 BB shell is 73mm and XX1 spindle length 120mm end to end so with use of a Wheels Manufacturing BB30 bottom bracket (BB-BSA30-AC) I think I'm all set. Teh one thing giving me pause is the fact that the Tallboy 3 is boost. As a reasult, I'm not sure I can get the appropriate chainline with this set-up (offset chainings push the chainline in, not out. Am I over thinking this and I'm OK or do I have to go all in with a new Boost crankset or spindle?

mtbr member
    Despite your cranking having a 30mm spindle (it does, right? It's not GXP?), nothing you're doing is BB30. That's an entirely different BB standard. The BB shell on your TB3 is BSA. The bottom bracket needs to fit that, and it also needs to fit the crank spindle.

In your situation, chainline is determined by the the direct mount chainring offset, 6mm for non-boost and 3mm for boost. I run 6mm on both my boost bikes, including a TB3, because it favors the lower gears where I do virtually all my pedaling. Woolftooth has a page that describes the benefit of doing this. If you do choose to run 6mm, check that the ring you use will clear the chainstay.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Despite your cranking having a 30mm spindle (it does, right? It's not GXP?), nothing you're doing is BB30. That's an entirely different BB standard. The BB shell on your TB3 is BSA. The bottom bracket needs to fit that, and it also needs to fit the crank spindle.

In your situation, chainline is determined by the the direct mount chainring offset, 6mm for non-boost and 3mm for boost. I run 6mm on both my boost bikes, including a TB3, because it favors the lower gears where I do virtually all my pedaling. Woolftooth has a page that describes the benefit of doing this. If you do choose to run 6mm, check that the ring you use will clear the chainstay.
    Correct, 30mm spindle and currently installed with a PF BB. Thanks for the chainline advice. I think I'm good there. My only concern now is spindle length; is it long enough to fit a BSA threaded BB. Assuming I measured correctly it will work. Thanks again.