Tallboy 2 Carbon vs Pivot Mach 429 Carbon (Experiences Wanted!!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Tallboy 2 Carbon vs Pivot Mach 429 Carbon (Experiences Wanted!!)

The Dilemma:
    I currently own a 2011 Pivot Mach 429 Alum but I am considering making a change to the new Mach 429 Carbon or the Tallboy 2 Carbon.

Background with Bikes in Question:
    I recently rode a medium Tallboy 2 Carbon with Enve wheels around a trail-head area and it felt good but the medium frame was way to small for my 6'-2" body so it was hard to come away with any real judgments. However, I did ride along beside the rider with the Tallboy and I did not see even a 1/4" of movement in the shock as he pedaled. I also recently had the chance to test ride a Large Mach 429 Carbon on a local trail for about an hour and it definitely handles better and turns sharper than my 2011 429. I would also say that the suspension on the Mach 429 Carbon is more plush than my 2011 429.

Tallboy 2 Carbon Likes:
    > Slightly longer 25.1" top tube in the XL Tallboy compared to the Large 429 Carbon which has a 24.75" top tube. The longer top tube would allow me to run a 65mm or 70mm stem. I currently run a 75mm stem on my 429 and that is as short as I can go with 720mm bars.
    > The 17.5" rear chain-stays on the Tallboy are a tiny bit shorter than the 17.65" chain-stays on the 429 Carbon.
    > Supposedly the Tallboy is lighter however the medium frames are very similar in weight (Medium Tallboy = 4.93 and the Medium 429 Carbon = 5.00)
    > Supposedly more plush in the rear when compared to the 429 Carbon

Tallboy 2 Carbon Concerns:
    > Rear end is not as stiff as the Mach 429 Carbon and this issue could be exaggerated with a heavy rider.
    > Not sure if the Tallboy 2 would be a good all around bike for taking to Colorado when compared to the Mach 429 Carbon. I only make the Colorado trip once a year and the rest of the time is spent in Texas on flat XC type trails.

Give me your experiences with either bike or both bikes and it would be even better if you have actually test ridden or owned both bikes.
    Last edited by Blk02; 09-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've owned a 429C for about a week, and so far it's awesome. I can't really give you a good review yet, since I've only done a few rides, though in the race in Huntsville this past weekend, every seemed dialed, suspension was great, and traction was good in the sand. Cycle Progression in Austin (where I bought my bike - great shop) has a test fleet of 429Cs now, and they'll apply the cost of the rental to the bike in most cases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I've owned a 429C for about a week, and so far it's awesome. I can't really give you a good review yet, since I've only done a few rides, though in the race in Huntsville this past weekend, every seemed dialed, suspension was great, and traction was good in the sand. Cycle Progression in Austin (where I bought my bike - great shop) has a test fleet of 429Cs now, and they'll apply the cost of the rental to the bike in most cases.
    Cool, I was at the race too. I did a couple of pre-ride laps on Saturday but I did not do the race. I saw two or three Carbon Mach 429's at the race on Sunday. What tires were you running at the race? Some of those corners were sand pits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    The Dilemma:
    I currently own a 2011 Pivot Mach 429 Alum but I am considering making a change to the new Mach 429 Carbon or the Tallboy 2 Carbon.

Background with Bikes in Question:
    I recently rode a medium Tallboy 2 Carbon with Enve wheels around a trail-head area and it felt good but the medium frame was way to small for my 6'-2" body so it was hard to come away with any real judgments. However, I did ride along beside the rider with the Tallboy and I did not see even a 1/4" of movement in the shock as he pedaled. I also recently had the chance to test ride a Large Mach 429 Carbon on a local trail for about an hour and it definitely handles better and turns sharper than my 2011 429. I would also say that the suspension on the Mach 429 Carbon is more plush than my 2011 429.

Tallboy 2 Carbon Likes:
    > Slightly longer 25.1" top tube in the XL Tallboy compared to the Large 429 Carbon which has a 24.75" top tube. The longer top tube would allow me to run a 65mm or 70mm stem. I currently run a 75mm stem on my 429 and that is as short as I can go with 720mm bars.
    > The 17.5" rear chain-stays on the Tallboy are a tiny bit shorter than the 17.65" chain-stays on the 429 Carbon.
    > Supposedly the Tallboy is lighter however the medium frames are very similar in weight (Medium Tallboy = 4.93 and the Medium 429 Carbon = 5.00)
    > Supposedly more plush in the rear when compared to the 429 Carbon

Tallboy 2 Carbon Concerns:
    > Rear end is not as stiff as the Mach 429 Carbon and this issue could be exaggerated with a heavy rider.
    > Not sure if the Tallboy 2 would be a good all around bike for taking to Colorado when compared to the Mach 429 Carbon. I only make the Colorado trip once a year and the rest of the time is spent in Texas on flat XC type trails.

Give me your experiences with both bikes and it would be even better if you have actually test ridden or owned both bikes.
    Why would the Pivot be any better for a CO trip? They're both 100mm travel bikes. I suggest taking a look at the Ripley also.
    I have a TBc so I can only comment on it, but I have it built as 'trail' bike, Fox 34 @120mm on the front and it does fine. I've taken it to a local bike park twice now and haven't had a problem- 3ft drops.

As far as the Pivot and Ripley, both DW link bikes that I hope to ride one day, but all the reading I've done, the general consensus is it that Pivot tends not to be as plush as the Ibis.

The Ripley has 120mm travel, shorter WB and CS than the Pivot. You get a Talas or Dual air on the Ripley and run the fork low for XC days and long for CO trips.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was running Ignitor Front/Crossmark rear @ 25ish PSI. I might have run a bit more volume in the front, but didn't really feel like it'd be worth it to change out my tire I wasn't racing where I usually compete (SS).

I debated several times before the race between running the shock in full open or trail, and ended up in descend mode. The suspension performance on the 429C is superb, and I noticed no real pedal bob even in full open unless I was cranking up a hill standing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Why would the Pivot be any better for a CO trip? They're both 100mm travel bikes. I suggest taking a look at the Ripley also.
    I have a TBc so I can only comment on it, but I have it built as 'trail' bike, Fox 34 @120mm on the front and it does fine. I've taken it to a local bike park twice now and haven't had a problem- 3ft drops.

As far as the Pivot and Ripley, both DW link bikes that I hope to ride one day, but all the reading I've done, the general consensus is it that Pivot tends not to be as plush as the Ibis.

The Ripley has 120mm travel, shorter WB and CS than the Pivot. You get a Talas or Dual air on the Ripley and run the fork low for XC days and long for CO trips.
    I've actually heard the opposite about the Ripley. It's more firm where the Pivot is more plush. My wife is taking out a demo next weekend, so I'll probably see how it rides too.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    There's a thread comparing the bikes in this forum - do a search
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    There's a thread comparing the bikes in this forum - do a search
    Already read all the threads comparing these bikes before I posted and most did not specify if the Tallboy in the comparison was 1st gen or 2nd gen. Thanks for stating the obvious though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I always considered the Pivot 429 as more of a trail bike than the standard Tallboy because of the HA and because Santa Cruz split their 29er range into XC and trail with the Tallboy LT. My 2011 429 has done great in Colorado on mostly everything I wanted to ride except some black diamond trails where the suspension gets overwhelmed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You had me at "flat XC type trails." If that was my normal fare I'd be firmly in the Pivot/DW camp. VPP is apparently getting more dialed, but it's still plush by comparison (by all I've read and by my Bronson's performance so far). I tested a TB LTc before going all in on 429c. Came from a 429a. My buddy, a VPP/SC rider for years, took my old 429a and describes it compared to VPP as "ferarri versus cadillac." Maybe a simplistic description, but FWIW.

I can't see rationalizing a certain bike for one annual trip. I rode my 429a 500 miles in CO last year and had a blast, though many sections would have also been sublime with 6" of travel and no bags.

Ultimately it's about what you like in bike performance more that any correct bike. Have fun with the process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    You had me at "flat XC type trails." If that was my normal fare I'd be firmly in the Pivot/DW camp. VPP is apparently getting more dialed, but it's still plush by comparison (by all I've read and by my Bronson's performance so far). I tested a TB LTc before going all in on 429c. Came from a 429a. My buddy, a VPP/SC rider for years, took my old 429a and describes it compared to VPP as "ferarri versus cadillac." Maybe a simplistic description, but FWIW.

I can't see rationalizing a certain bike for one annual trip. I rode my 429a 500 miles in CO last year and had a blast, though many sections would have also been sublime with 6" of travel and no bags.

Ultimately it's about what you like in bike performance more that any correct bike. Have fun with the process.
    Do you think the suspension on the 429 carbon feels more plush than the aluminum version? The main reason the Tallboy interested me was the steeper HA, shorter chainstay, and longer TT (shorter stem).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I can speak for the carbon 429. So far, I have nearly 800 miles logged on it since buying the thing in July including several 6 hr races and a couple XC races. I tried to resist replying since I don't have any seat time on the TB2 but it looks like we ride similar terrain and have similar goals so perhaps my input would help. I think you're a bit off on the frame weights as my size large black/blue 429c supposedly weighs about 5.8lbs including seat collar and rear thru-axel (based on the research I did), but I wasn't able to weigh it disassembled. You'd likely save significant weight going with the TB2 if that's your main objective.

Here are the upsides I see on going with the Pivot:
    - ISCG tabs - I mounted a taco style bash guard to protect the pricey chain ring from being throttled by the greenbelt here in Austin.
    - Integrated armor on the down tube is crucial for the rocky Austin trails
    - Rear triangle stiffness is universally hailed as unmatched, and I agree - the thing feels as solid as any downhill bike I've ever ridden / owned / demo'd. Makes my last bike (Jet9) feel downright noodly. Front end is crazy stiff as well - it almost begs for 34/35mm fork stanchions
    - Overall, frame feels overbuilt which is good for the way I tend to go through equipment. It seems Pivot was focused on keeping the thing tough as nails rather than as light as possible.
    - DW Link tends to have a lot less pedal kickback than VPP (though I've not ridden the latest TB2)
    - Easily cleared 2.4" tires on my 24mm inside width rims (2.35 Hans Dampf and 2.4" Ardent)

I also raced Hunstville this weekend on my 429c and used 2.25in Rocket Rons w/ Snakeskin sidewall protection. Here's a neat-o pic of my new steed in action at that sand pit of an XC course: https://plus.google.com/photos/10916...43211895860832

I went with the OEM Pivot XX1 build which includes the 120mm Fox fork (the 120mm adds a significant 210 gram / 1/2 pound weight penalty), but is built to take more abuse and slackens the head angle a bit. The only thing I changed out were the wheels and tires. Couldn't resist upgrading to the wide rimmed super burly Enve AM wheelset.

I was a little hesitant to go with the 120mm front end given how much racing I do, but the bulk of training/fun rides are done out of my front door on the rock and ledge infested Austin Greenbelt and surrounding trails. Technical features feel a lot more within the realm of what the bike can do, and I am going OTB a lot less often than with previous XC setups. I don't regret the 120 decision and the bike is nearly as capable as the 140mm Fox34 equiped Turner Sultan I rented to rail the Big Mountain Series Enduro in Crested Butte. My new Pivot arrived right after I got back from that trip and I'll take my Pivot next year if I return - it really feels that capable. Since getting the bike I've done plenty of drops in the 3 to 5 ft range as well as slam the bike into chunky rock gardens at full sprint and the bike didn't blink. Interestingly enough, the bushings in the Fox fork have failed and it's now back to Fox for repairs. I'm considering getting a new Pike and reducing travel to 120mm as there is only a 40-50 gram weight penalty over the Fox fork.

If you were to slap a 100mm fork on the pivot, I'm sure it would still feel very capable and give you a bit more XC oriented feel, however if you ever want to take it to the mountains (or to more technical trails), just get the 120mm fork and don't look back. I don't think it slowed me at all in the race Sunday, and I already won a 6hr solo event with this setup at Warda (just ran it in full descend mode front and rear the whole time) and scored a second place at the 100k at Pace Bend.

The Tallboy 2 is a great bike as well so the good news is that you can't go wrong either way
    Last edited by jd1072; 09-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Awesome real-world objective input!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice input jd1072. Glad you posted your thoughts. I was looking at the Enve XC rims and they are skinny compared to the Enve AM rims. The Enve XC rims make a 2.1 tire look like its 1.8. How do you like the XX1 for our Texas trails? I find that 95% of the time I stay in the front small ring when riding my 2x10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Do you think the suspension on the 429 carbon feels more plush than the aluminum version? The main reason the Tallboy interested me was the steeper HA, shorter chainstay, and longer TT (shorter stem).
    No question the C bike feels more plush. Guessing most of that is the 120mm fork and the carbon dampening (plus it has carbon hoops compared to my 429a's alloy), probably some credit goes to revised geometry. I can't stress enough how different the A and C 429s are--like truly different bikes.

PS: Gotta prop Enve AM rims. No sticker shock on the trail

Long Live the Gorn!
    Nice work jd...

I demo'd both the TBc (not 2) and 429c both with 120mm forks. I ended up with the 429c mostly because I liked the way it climbed (ruthlessly efficient), I liked the way it descend's and I ride some chunk, rocks, in line 1-2 ft drops, tight descending switchbacks etc and it is steady, stiff and capable, and really its fun it likes air...it does it all for me. I built mine up a little more trail than XC cause that is what I like.

The TBc did not climb quite as well and it just didn't seem to be the "Instant On/Fit or confident" for me... for me, obviously lots of folks love the TBc

I also think the 429c is a more capable platform in the sense you can build it full race... or tough trail not sure the TB can really do that.

Just me 2c

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Tallboy 2 Carbon vs Pivot Mach 429 Carbon (Experiences Wanted!!)

Since both the options you're considering are 4" full suspension carbon fiber bikes, you should consider the Turner Czar as well. It's getting great reviews.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    bvader, you should post your review from STR. That was a great run down. Cheers...(mike001)

jd, love that big-stancion thinking. That direction would be questionable for many (most?) bikes categorized similarly (including my old 429a), but I agree fully with you. I never thought a 100mm bike could rail like the 429c. Love to push it more in a trail direction...but I digress.

Tallboy 2 Carbon vs Pivot Mach 429 Carbon (Experiences Wanted!!)-429c.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    Nice work jd...

I demo'd both the TBc (not 2) and 429c both with 120mm forks. I ended up with the 429c mostly because I liked the way it climbed (ruthlessly efficient), I liked the way it descend's and I ride some chunk, rocks, in line 1-2 ft drops, tight descending switchbacks etc and it is steady, stiff and capable, and really its fun it likes air...it does it all for me. I built mine up a little more trail than XC cause that is what I like.

The TBc did not climb quite as well and it just didn't seem to be the "Instant On/Fit or confident" for me... for me, obviously lots of folks love the TBc

I also think the 429c is a more capable platform in the sense you can build it full race... or tough trail not sure the TB can really do that.

Just me 2c
    Not sure why you would say that say that. I have my TBc set up more 'Trail'- Fox 34, dropper and FlowEx rims. I've been to a local bike park twice so far and it's handled the switch backs and the drops well with my fat 210lb ass on it.

I'm not saying which bike is better, but to say the TBc can't be built more 'trail' is incorrect.
    Ripley LS v3

11 is one louder than 10
    I've owned a tallboyV1 (in fact I owned 2). Currently own a pivot 429c.

I did a big review a while back if you look for it. But, the bikes are more similar than different.

If the TB2 is more linear, then they are REALLY more similar than different.

I did break both of my tallboys (cracked) both were promptly handled by Santa Cruz.

I had a Tallboy with a 135 x 10 (I used the Am classic 10mm QR) on mine, but the pivot is definitely more stiff laterally vs that. I'm sure the 142 x 12 helps in that regard.

The Tallboy V1 is a more plush ride than the pivot. It's softer through the mid-stroke. If the TBV2 is more linear I'll bet they ride real close.

Both can be run with 100-120 front forks. I think 110 is the sweet spot for both.

I travel out west 1-2x per year. Either bike is GREAT.

That said a Tallboy Large and a Pivot MEDIUM will fit very similar. The Pivot set's up a bit lower in the front end from a seating position (obviously adjustable with stems and spacers).

I'd lean pivot only because I cracked a couple tallboys. BUT Santa Cruz was awesome about the warranty and you can deal direct with them.

Solution would be buy from competitive cyclist and try one for 90 days, or whatever their trial period is right now.

Or if you are in Michigan drop me a PM and you can try mine.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Long Live the Gorn!
    Not sure why you would say that say that. I have my TBc set up more 'Trail'- Fox 34, dropper and FlowEx rims. I've been to a local bike park twice so far and it's handled the switch backs and the drops well with my fat 210lb ass on it.

I'm not saying which bike is better, but to say the TBc can't be built more 'trail' is incorrect.
    Thanks for clarifying ... and BTW I said I was "not sure", it was not a definitive statement, the folks I have seen that seem to want to trail their TB ended up focused on the TBLT. I think I was also speaking to the stiffness of the frame / rear triangle holding up to the beating but seems you are speaking well of that as well.

2nd BTW what travel do you use with the 34mm?

Oh and I am working on "plushing up my travel a bit" by getting the 2014 updates for the 2013 CTD fork / shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    Thanks for clarifying ... and BTW I said I was "not sure", it was not a definitive statement, the folks I have seen that seem to want to trail their TB ended up focused on the TBLT. I think I was also speaking to the stiffness of the frame / rear triangle holding up to the beating but seems you are speaking well of that as well.

2nd BTW what travel do you use with the 34mm?

Oh and I am working on "plushing up my travel a bit" by getting the 2014 updates for the 2013 CTD fork / shock.
    It's a 2012 34 140mm that I shimmed down to 120mm for the Tallboy. I had it on my SJ at 140mm
    Ripley LS v3

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    bvader, you should post your review from STR. That was a great run down. Cheers...(mike001)

jd, love that big-stancion thinking. That direction would be questionable for many (most?) bikes categorized similarly (including my old 429a), but I agree fully with you. I never thought a 100mm bike could rail like the 429c. Love to push it more in a trail direction...but I digress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429c.jpg 
Views:	7927 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	833109
    Nice bike, It looks to be a fun weapon.

I was surprised just how well my Jet9 RDO went in a Trail setup as well.

So there is some good 100mm travel options, IMO though if your are going to build a 100mm Trail bike, the climbing is super important & if it wasn't then why not go for more travel
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

SS Pusher Man
    Nice work jd...

Just me 2c

You've seen me ride my Tallboy on several occasions.....makes a very nice trail bike.

No issues racing it either.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Long Live the Gorn!
    Fine... TB Trail bikes abound...now I am sure... but I'd still pick my 429c

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I test rode a large 2014 Tallboy 2 Carbon yesterday with Enve XC wheels and it ripped around the single track at Double Lake in Coldsping, TX. The bike was without question faster than my 2011 429a. I test rode the large size and I think it would work for my 6'-2" body as long as I stuck with a 90mm stem. However, I would still like to test ride the XL Tallboy with a 65mm stem before I made up my mind. The Tallboy just felt more playful and the rear suspension seemed to absorb impacts a lot better. The rear suspension did not feel overly plush or bouncy but it was definitley more plush than my 429a. In addition, the bike was very easy to bunny hop. I was launching off of anything I could find on the trail. In contrast my 429a just feels like it wants to stay planted to the ground. I am definitely a fan of the Tallboy 2 Carbon.

Also I have to say that I am now a fan of Maxxis Ikon 2.2 3C TR tires. They gripped as well as anything I have ever ridden and I was surprised at how well they did in medium to loose conditions.

Props to Fred at Cycles TX in The Woodlands for letting me demo the Carbon Tallboy and for swapping out the wheels to an Enve set so I could feel the difference.

Tallboy 2 Carbon vs Pivot Mach 429 Carbon (Experiences Wanted!!)-wp_20130919_006.jpg
    Last edited by Blk02; 09-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I read a post by a new purchaser of a 429c which he stated there was not a huge difference between the carbon version and his previous alloy bike. Others have shared that view. I want to believe that because I love my 429a. I had a TB. Broke it twice. SC's CS was very good, but because of that experience combined with a subsequent bad experience with a carbon Scalpel, I went back to a 429a. The TB1c felt truly like a 26in bike with big wheels - very nice. I never truly liked the mid stroke wallow, but many others of course love the way the TB rides and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I don't like a very plush rear suspension unless the trail is relentlessly chunky.

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I read a post by a new purchaser of a 429c which he stated there was not a huge difference between the carbon version and his previous alloy bike. Others have shared that view. I want to believe that because I love my 429a. I had a TB. Broke it twice. SC's CS was very good, but because of that experience combined with a subsequent bad experience with a carbon Scalpel, I went back to a 429a. The TB1c felt truly like a 26in bike with big wheels - very nice. I never truly liked the mid stroke wallow, but many others of course love the way the TB rides and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I don't like a very plush rear suspension unless the trail is relentlessly chunky.

DD - right there with you on the TB. Broke two, had great customer service on both.

So far - Pivot 429 carbon has been bomber. No cracks yet! I'm also 190-205 lbs at any given time...

Pivot 429 is firmer riding also. But as you said, that mid stroke never bothered me on the TB either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting that there are several people replying that have broken Tallboy frames. I am around 190lbs geared up so that makes me wonder. I know the Pivot 429a is built like a damn tank, but my large 429a weighs around 30lbs with X9 and X0 components. What are your weights on the 429c and what component spec and size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting that there are several people replying that have broken Tallboy frames. I am around 190lbs geared up so that makes me wonder. I know the Pivot 429a is built like a damn tank, but my large 429a weighs around 30lbs with X9 and X0 components. What are your weights on the 429c and what component spec and size.
    I'm surprised too. I'm 210 without gear and I haven't been taking it easy on my TBc
    Ripley LS v3

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I tend to break frames. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a TB since breakages aren't common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Get to dah choppah
    I'm 160lbs. I've not broken a TBc.

Medium 429c with XT Pro. 28.25lbs stock.
    TallboyC is large with XT group. 26 lbs stock. 24.75lbs with fairly inexpensive upgrades.

The challenge with the 429c is not only its overall weight, but its distribution. The wheels weight almost 2kg's. Everything high one the bike (where you feel it the most)bars, grips, post, saddle, are all very good qualtity, but they are all heavy.

This year's high-end 429c's get DT XR1501's, which are wildly lighter, so at least Pivot isn't completely disregarding the issue. I just spent about $2k on upgrades on teh 429c, and will be posting a thread in the Pivot forum in the next week or two,.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

11 is one louder than 10
    As for the the TBc breakage.

My first one I discovered a crack around the lower pivot bolt, that seems to be the most reported crack on these. At that same time I discovered my seattube was also cracked. Both were found at seasons end after I broke the bike down.

The second tallboy frame, the actual upper linkage cracked. I believe they are using aluminum again for the linkages, but this was a carbon one.

Both were taken care of very quickly with the added benefit I didn't have to mess with a local shop. Sent pictures, sent frame, got new frame (or linkage in the linkage crack).

I've had the pivot now since April, I haven't seen any cracks, but after the season I'll give it a once over.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised that the consensus is that the VPP is more plush than the DW. Having ridden both of them a good amount I definitely feel the DW link to the more plush of the two with it being most obvious early and late in the stroke and with the VPP changing shape depending on whether you're climbing or descending. On climbs the VPP rear end tightens up and climbs more like a hardtail where the DW link keeps a good level of small bump compliance. I've only ridden the TB1 and aluminum 429 (and own a TBLT) and from my experience on those I much prefer the stiffer climbing feel of the VPP. When I rode the 429 I was still trying to like 29ers and after the demo I still preferred the 26in wheel. After riding the Tallboy my tune changed... I ended up going with the LT because I wanted a bit more of a slacker head tube angle and even that bike did pretty well racing this past season where I medaled in the majority of my cat 2 races. I can only imagine how much faster the non LT version would be...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I weigh 165 w/ gear. I only ordered the frame/fork and built my Pivot 429C up - it was 24.6 lbs w/o pedals for a small (I think - can't remember the exact number - I know it was in the 24 range).

Spec:
    Shock: Fox F32 120 FIT Trail Adjust, Fox CTD Kashima Trail Adjust rear
    Drivetrain: XTR (XT Cassette and Chain)
    Brakes: XT
    Stem/Bars: Raceface Deus, Easton Haven AM carbon
    Seatpost/Saddle: Easton EC90/Fizik Tundra (off a 2011 Giant Anthem - matches the blue in the frame extremely well)
    Wheels: Stan's Crest
    Tires: Ignitor/Crossmark

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    I'm surprised that the consensus is that the VPP is more plush than the DW.
    Regardless of the "consensus", this is a discussion that has no clear answer.
    Amongst a given type of suspension design, whether it be vpp, dw, etc, there are many variables which contribute to "plushness" such as link placement and shock setup, in addition to rider perception which can change from ride to ride even when no changes are made to the bike.

I've owned dw and vpp. I wouldn't categorically state that one is "plusher" than the other.