Talk Me Out Of A Blur TR- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

Talk Me Out Of A Blur TR

About Me:
    Soon to be 55 and very fit; 180-185 lbs before gearing up; primarily a SSíer; strong-ish rider and climber, but a cautious descender on more technical sections/features (have been through multiple injuries and surgeries, and am just over that risk now); tend to be mindful of my lines because of all my HT/SS riding, though I ride them hard; AZ rider

Use Case(s):
    - Marathon - 30-40 miles and up
    - 12/24-hour solo
    Though I do most of the events in these first two categories SS or solo SS, I want the option to give myself a break from time to time with gears and FS.
    - Multi-day stage racing
    A primary purpose for this bike. I have zero desire to mash a SS up the big climbs of stage races day after day. Examples: Breck Epic, BC Bike Race, Baja Epic, etc
    - Vacation riding with big climbing/descents, and/or more tech than I might typically do
    Examples: Colorado high country rides (CO Trail) with lots of climbing and long descents, SoCal riding with fire road climbs and singletrack descents, Moab, at some point

Some Initial Requirements:
    * ~ 24 lbs all-in, including pedals and cages (prefer 2 cages). Assumes carbon wheels
    * Super-efficient pedaler and climber. I have zero problem locking out the suspension on climbs, if necessary. Being a HT/SS rider, this is a KEY requirement, and I am super-sensitive to it.
    * Fox Factory SC34 120mm fork
    * 100-110mm rear
    * Dropper - 125mm is fine
    * Budget is flexible, but not break-the-bank and I donít have ďF you moneyĒ

Outside of my SS and geared HT (both Pivot LESí), I have an Intense Primer Elite that I have been using for these purposes. I love the bike, and it is fun and comfortable, and Iíve done a 12-hour solo race on it, but the fact is, itís a high-28 lb bike, and that takes a toll for the use cases mentioned above. Additionally, I simply donít NEED all that travel (140/130), as I donít ride that level of chunk/tech. I told myself when I got it that, ďThis opens the doors to more tech riding!Ē, but you know what, I ride what I ride, and Iím not going to be changing (much) at this point. Whatever Iím going to ride, I can already ride on my SS; this bike will just make it more fun and comfortable.

I happen to like Intense, and almost got a Sniper Trail when I got the Primer, so Iíve been figuring I want a Sniper. But the issues with the rear end flex have scared me away, and I am now focusing on a Santa Cruz Blur TR, forked up to 120mm. I love Santa Cruz, and have immense respect for their quality.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I appreciate any thoughts and input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Given your wish list a Blur is a great option. I guess it depends on what you define F U money since getting a blur down to 24 pounds is $6600-$9500 (using Santa Cruz factory pricing and Sram or Shimano XTR kits). I assume the frame can handle a 120mm fork even though SC only specs 110 & a 120 will slightly slacken the front end probably a good thing.

I'm a similar type rider and I like my Tallboy because I feel VPP rides better previous that single pivot bikes & most XC oriented bikes in sub 26lb weights a single pivot.
    You already ride SS so a 1x Blur seems like an easy transition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We sound like we've got very similar riding profiles. I've been riding mountain bikes for a decade now, but I started out racing road bikes, so I expect light weight, efficiency and a stiff frame. I've been mostly a hardtail rider, with a couple short lived experiences with an Epic (great pedaler, but the stupid shock blew up three times in a year) and a Tallboy (great bike, but squishy and heavy and I ended up riding my hardtail more).

The only reason I haven't bought a Blur TR is that they cost an arm and a leg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm not a super endurance rider, and I haven't ridden a Blur but... I usually have an SS setup, and I use my HT for long trail rides and trials play so I notice flex pretty easily as well. I currently have my HT running a SRAM 1x7 DH cluster which gives me a more trials-friendly gear and I don't spin out.

Anyway, to the point. My experiences with VPP have not been flex free. I have been looking at the new Spot Ryve for some forays into the kind of riding you're talking about. I have the Rollik, and the leaf spring gives back the pedalling energy and is not flexy. (try bending a ruler sideways.) If you're super concerned about flex, I would at least look into that option before pulling the trigger. Also, as far as weight, the Blur isn't the lightest with price-friendly models starting at over 26lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I did not like the new Blur's rear in the unlock mode. Too soft when hammering hard even at 25% sag. I'm only 160 pounds, aggressive XC Cat 1. Thought about getting a 3-position lever fitted, but there were other bikes I liked better so it wasn't worth my time. Other than that the Blur checked many boxes I am seeking.

Formerly of Kent
    I like the geometry of the TR. Didnít care diverge shock tune at all. Way too much wallow. Kind of weird that they tuned the bike the way they did.

Liked the way it handled going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    Given your wish list a Blur is a great option. I guess it depends on what you define F U money since getting a blur down to 24 pounds is $6600-$9500 (using Santa Cruz factory pricing and Sram or Shimano XTR kits). I assume the frame can handle a 120mm fork even though SC only specs 110 & a 120 will slightly slacken the front end probably a good thing.

I'm a similar type rider and I like my Tallboy because I feel VPP rides better previous that single pivot bikes & most XC oriented bikes in sub 26lb weights a single pivot.
    You already ride SS so a 1x Blur seems like an easy transition.
    Yep; it can handle the 120, and I like how it slackens it a bit.

I should add, one of the reasons that the Blur, and Santa Cruz, is attractive to me is that my LBS will give me, A. Decent trade credit for my Primer (I purchased it from them, and they used to be a huge Intense dealer before Intense went consumer-direct), and B. A smoking, below-list deal on the Blur (or any SC, because they are a big SC dealer). So that all helps the math work on a higher-end build, plus I have a very nice Ti SS that I will be selling to fund most of the difference.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    We sound like we've got very similar riding profiles. I've been riding mountain bikes for a decade now, but I started out racing road bikes, so I expect light weight, efficiency and a stiff frame. I've been mostly a hardtail rider, with a couple short lived experiences with an Epic (great pedaler, but the stupid shock blew up three times in a year) and a Tallboy (great bike, but squishy and heavy and I ended up riding my hardtail more).

The only reason I haven't bought a Blur TR is that they cost an arm and a leg.
    I had a Tallboy two years ago, before the Primer, and I liked it, but sold it because it felt too squishy and heavy to me - exactly what you cited.

And see my post above about how I plan to mitigate the cost.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    I did not like the new Blur's rear in the unlock mode. Too soft when hammering hard even at 25% sag. I'm only 160 pounds, aggressive XC Cat 1. Thought about getting a 3-position lever fitted, but there were other bikes I liked better so it wasn't worth my time. Other than that the Blur checked many boxes I am seeking.
    Interesting, and that is a concern, based on how I ride, and what feel I like. In one of the Blur reviews (Singletrack magazine, IIRC), the reviewer sent his rear shock in to have it converted to a 3-position lever, which I prefer, and which I would consider.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I like the geometry of the TR. Didnít care diverge shock tune at all. Way too much wallow. Kind of weird that they tuned the bike the way they did.

Liked the way it handled going down.

Very weird that they would tune it that way. I would consider converting it to a 3-position lever, or possible replacing it with a different shock (if thatís an option?).

Good to hear re going down!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm about the same age and size with the same riding profile. I was riding a very ancient (and beloved) Moots hard tail. My body was starting to feel the abuse, after much research I purchased an Blur S build with plans to make it more Blur TR as my funds allow. I love the Blur and am riding faster over much more chunk. I don't think you can go wrong, giving that your shop is taking care of you it sounds like your decision is almost made. Enjoy the ride!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana93 View Post
    I'm about the same age and size with the same riding profile. I was riding a very ancient (and beloved) Moots hard tail. My body was starting to feel the abuse, after much research I purchased an Blur S build with plans to make it more Blur TR as my funds allow. I love the Blur and am riding faster over much more chunk. I don't think you can go wrong, giving that your shop is taking care of you it sounds like your decision is almost made. Enjoy the ride!
    Thanks, man! I've seen some of your posts in another Blur thread(s). And yep, my decision is almost made, but seeing if I'm missing anything!

Ride more; post less...

Short-Change-Hero
    Really looks like you have done your research. Not much out there that would do majorly better for what you are looking for in your specific needs and genre. Only other bike that I could potentially see competing would be something like the Scott Spark 900 but really that may be a marginal increase of one thing or another over what you have in the Blur.

At this point it seems like the biggest thing is going to be,
    1.) local support for bike maintenance, and
    2.) warranty support, for whichever has the longest warranty on frame

Past that you are going to be splitting hairs. Good job and have fun!

I am Walt
    BTW, is there any reason why I shouldn't be considering the Orbea Oiz TR?
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...z-29-m10-tr-19

The component set - and cost - is awesome, and the geo is extremely similar to the Blur TR.

Anyone have this bike and can compare it?
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    OK; just got back from the local shop, where I was able to compare and ride the Blur (regular) with an SB100. I have to say, I'm preferring the SB100. It is VERY solid, and just...fits. The Blur is noticeably more lightweight. I also prefer that the Yeti does not have any suspension remote cables; can't quite figure out what SC was thinking with the dual remotes on the fork and rear on the Blur.

Anyway, not a dealbreaker; just data points. Interested in any thoughts!
    Ride more; post less...

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Liked the look of the Blur but the cable routing near the bb junction being out in space seemed like it would be a hassle with bottles etc.Tire width was another limiting factor for me with the Blur.

SB100 is nice and hopefully they are sorting out the pivot issues. I was about to get the SB100 and the early reports with the rear put me off as we don't have a dealer anywhere near us.

Take a look at the Scott Spark 900 (not the RC). Went with a Scott Spark 700 (2018 frame) which accommodates 29x2.4" as well as 27.5x2.8. I've been riding it in the middle position most of the time and have it setup 27.5x2.6 and am really liking it. For racing I'd look at slightly lower volume 29 setup on the same bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Sb100

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    OK; just got back from the local shop, where I was able to compare and ride the Blur (regular) with an SB100. I have to say, I'm preferring the SB100. It is VERY solid, and just...fits. The Blur is noticeably more lightweight. I also prefer that the Yeti does not have any suspension remote cables; can't quite figure out what SC was thinking with the dual remotes on the fork and rear on the Blur.

Anyway, not a dealbreaker; just data points. Interested in any thoughts!
    First one I thought of when reading your post was the SB100 but getting it down to 24 lbs might be pretty tough without throwing some F you money at it. Other than that, it seems to tick off everything you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Norco Revolver FS120

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    First one I thought of when reading your post was the SB100 but getting it down to 24 lbs might be pretty tough without throwing some F you money at it. Other than that, it seems to tick off everything you're looking for.
    Yeah, I'm kind of honing in on an SB100, and would settle for 25-ish.

Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Walt: What shop are you using?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, I'm kind of honing in on an SB100, and would settle for 25-ish.

Here's one under 23 lbs:

https://www.probikesupply.com/blogs/...0-is-not-heavy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Haha yeah but that's a house down payment's worth of bike right there.

I work with a guy that has an SB100, its a badass bike, but it is even pricer than the blur.

I am Walt
    Post of the week! This is great to hear, and Iíll be making some of these changes, to get the weight down. Thanks for sharing!

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Haha yeah but that's a house down payment's worth of bike right there.

I work with a guy that has an SB100, its a badass bike, but it is even pricer than the blur.
    Iím trading/selling two bikes to do this...LOL!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had the exact build you're looking for. I sold it due to financial reasons (owning 2 $6K+ bikes didn't make sense...I can only ride one at a time!) but it was an amazing bike. If you're OK with having 100mm rear travel, I don't know if you'll find a faster, more capable overall setup. Pedaling was extremely snappy, yet it was plenty capable descending with the 120mm stepcast compared to your typical XC bike. I'm 200lbs and all the bikes I've ridden with Fox 32s made my life flash before my eyes more times than I care to mention.

My build was as follows:
    -Blur CC Large frame, factory DPS Evol w/3position lockout (remote removed)
    -Fox Factory 34SC 120mm
    -Sram XX1 Eagle, 34t Wolftooth oval
    -XT M8000 brakes w/XTR rotors
    -DT Swiss XMC1200 carbon wheelset, 2.6" Rekon 3C front, 2.6" XR2 rear
    -Wren carbon bars, Wren 60mm stem, ESI Chunky grips
    -KS Lev Ci 125mm carbon dropper, SQLab 611 Carbon saddle

Total weight with XTR M9000 pedals was 23.86lbs.

I still kinda hate myself for selling this thing. It was so sweet.

Talk Me Out Of A Blur TR-p5pb16780591.jpg

chasing simplicity
    Don't think you can go wrong with either the Blur TR or the SB100. Geoff Kabush seems to be doing just fine with the SB100! I'm building a Blur, but a lighter weight non-TR, 100mm all around (fork, shock, dropper...Lev ci), and sent my shock in to be converted to a 3-position...cost is $160. If you want expedited service it's an extra $50.

Cane Creek DB Inline will fit, and Rockshox makes a rear shock to fit as well.

My son-in-law is sponsored by Santa Cruz for Enduro racing, and he just got a Blur TR for marathon/training purposes. Absolutely loves it.

Don't think I did a good job talking you out of a Blur TR. I'm too SC-biased!
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I had the exact build you're looking for. I sold it due to financial reasons (owning 2 $6K+ bikes didn't make sense...I can only ride one at a time!) but it was an amazing bike. If you're OK with having 100mm rear travel, I don't know if you'll find a faster, more capable overall setup. Pedaling was extremely snappy, yet it was plenty capable descending with the 120mm stepcast compared to your typical XC bike. I'm 200lbs and all the bikes I've ridden with Fox 32s made my life flash before my eyes more times than I care to mention.

My build was as follows:
    -Blur CC Large frame, factory DPS Evol w/3position lockout (remote removed)
    -Fox Factory 34SC 120mm
    -Sram XX1 Eagle, 34t Wolftooth oval
    -XT M8000 brakes w/XTR rotors
    -DT Swiss XMC1200 carbon wheelset, 2.6" Rekon 3C front, 2.6" XR2 rear
    -Wren carbon bars, Wren 60mm stem, ESI Chunky grips
    -KS Lev Ci 125mm carbon dropper, SQLab 611 Carbon saddle

Total weight with XTR M9000 pedals was 23.86lbs.

I still kinda hate myself for selling this thing. It was so sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16780591.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	1250739
    Wow, dude...thatís is spot-on. Sorry you had to sell it!

What was the process to get the remote removed and the 3-pos lockout on the rear shock? Who did it, how long did it take, and how much did it cost? That lockout, combined with the front, is actually a big negative for me. Iím OK with the front, but do NOT want it on the rear.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Don't think you can go wrong with either the Blur TR or the SB100. Geoff Kabush seems to be doing just fine with the SB100! I'm building a Blur, but a lighter weight non-TR, 100mm all around (fork, shock, dropper...Lev ci), and sent my shock in to be converted to a 3-position...cost is $160. If you want expedited service it's an extra $50.

Cane Creek DB Inline will fit, and Rockshox makes a rear shock to fit as well.

My son-in-law is sponsored by Santa Cruz for Enduro racing, and he just got a Blur TR for marathon/training purposes. Absolutely loves it.

Don't think I did a good job talking you out of a Blur TR. I'm too SC-biased!
    Ha; thanks! And good to know re the rear shock...I had just asked about that!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Waltaz - like you I have a Primer and love it. Also have a Les SS and I like to maintain a XC bike in the stable as well.

I was looking at upgrading my 2016 Trek Top Fuel into a newer bike like the Sniper but the flex sort of scared me off as well.

I ended up getting a 18 Top Fuel RSL 9.9 with 120 Fox Stepcast fork. Lightly used but got a great deal and it's 23lbs with pedals. Has 2 position lock out and I prolly use the lock out as much as the dropper.

Like the 120 /100 set up much more than the 100/100 for better descending.

Rode with a buddy who has a decked out Blur and he speaks highly of it.

mtbr member
    Iím shopping for a blur or similar myself and the orbea looks interesting. One more variable in the decision.....

BTW, is there any reason why I shouldn't be considering the Orbea Oiz TR?
    https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...z-29-m10-tr-19

The component set - and cost - is awesome, and the geo is extremely similar to the Blur TR.

Anyone have this bike and can compare it?
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

I am Walt

Talk Me Out Of A Blur TR

Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    Iím shopping for a blur or similar myself and the orbea looks interesting. One more variable in the decision.....
    Always...LOL.

Iíve moved on from it, but that is,indeed, a compelling bike. BTW, there is a really nice one on Pinkbike for a great deal; an Oiz M50, with a SC34 set up as 100mm, though could run as 110. Check it out.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Waltaz - like you I have a Primer and love it. Also have a Les SS and I like to maintain a XC bike in the stable as well.

I was looking at upgrading my 2016 Trek Top Fuel into a newer bike like the Sniper but the flex sort of scared me off as well.

I ended up getting a 18 Top Fuel RSL 9.9 with 120 Fox Stepcast fork. Lightly used but got a great deal and it's 23lbs with pedals. Has 2 position lock out and I prolly use the lock out as much as the dropper.

Like the 120 /100 set up much more than the 100/100 for better descending.

Rode with a buddy who has a decked out Blur and he speaks highly of it.
    Hey man! Yeah, I recall that you have one. Iím going to be trading it in, even though I love it, because I just donít need that much bike - travel and weight. I can happily and comfortably ride everything Iím ever going to ride on a 120/100 rig.

Iíve looked at various nice used bikes, and there are some great deals, but the trade element is the reason Iím going through my LBS, and limiting it to the brands they carry, which include SC and Yeti. Otherwise, I have to sell it on my own, which is a PITA.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Interestingly about the Primer--its a 6.0lb frame weight, which is not a whole lot more than the SB100.

Maybe the ticket is to XC-ify the Primer? Add some Carbon I9s, 2.35 Ikons, carbon bars, RF NextSL cranks, an XO1 cassette and a Divine SL dropper, then find someone to tune the shock to be a bit more pedal-friendly. You could probably knock out those mods for ~$2000-2500, and then you can probably keep your hardtail so that you're not stuck with a FS on the days when you want to hammer on less techy terrain.

mtbr member
    Always...LOL.

Iíve moved on from it, but that is,indeed, a compelling bike. BTW, there is a really nice one on Pinkbike for a great deal; an Oiz M50, with a SC34 set up as 100mm, though could run as 110. Check it out.

well that was a quick switch. any particular reason you moved on from it? You're further into the research and would love the details if anything turned you off of the Oiz. Thanks!
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    well that was a quick switch. any particular reason you moved on from it? You're further into the research and would love the details if anything turned you off of the Oiz. Thanks!
    Because of the situation I have with the LBS. Being able to trade my Primer in for an excellent value was key. If I did the Orbea, I'd have to Pinkbike it, etc, and that's just a hassle.

Otherwise, it would be right in the mix, with the Yeti and Blur

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Interestingly about the Primer--its a 6.0lb frame weight, which is not a whole lot more than the SB100.

Maybe the ticket is to XC-ify the Primer? Add some Carbon I9s, 2.35 Ikons, carbon bars, RF NextSL cranks, an XO1 cassette and a Divine SL dropper, then find someone to tune the shock to be a bit more pedal-friendly. You could probably knock out those mods for ~$2000-2500, and then you can probably keep your hardtail so that you're not stuck with a FS on the days when you want to hammer on less techy terrain.
    I thought about that, but that would entail parting out my current build, and buying the new stuff. Way to much hassle and expense and loss of value. Plus, I was able to trade it for a good value.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Great article I found, with some ideas on how to reduce weight on the Turq XO1 build. I'm going to do a few of these.
    https://www.probikesupply.com/a/s/bl...0-is-not-heavy

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I thought about that, but that would entail parting out my current build, and buying the new stuff. Way to much hassle and expense and loss of value. Plus, I was able to trade it for a good value.

Rut roh, past tense right there! Did you end up with the SB100?

I am Walt
    Rut roh, past tense right there! Did you end up with the SB100?
    LOL...busted! Ordered this morning...

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    ... I have a very nice Ti SS that I will be selling to fund most of the difference.

Of the bikes you had that is NOT the one I would have sold. A little to late to the party, but for me

Santa Cruz Blur was possibility before I got my epic. It came out the day I bought the epic so too late to evaluate, but given the specs it clicked all my boxes. The SB100 seemed a little to heavy for me, but one of my friends rides one. He is a Yeti guy however.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iím trading/selling two bikes to do this...LOL!

If you have two good ones, you could always sell an extra kidney too.

mtbr member
    LOL...busted! Ordered this morning...

So when is Deanna getting one?
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

Of the bikes you had that is NOT the one I would have sold. A little to late to the party, but for me

Santa Cruz Blur was possibility before I got my epic. It came out the day I bought the epic so too late to evaluate, but given the specs it clicked all my boxes. The SB100 seemed a little to heavy for me, but one of my friends rides one. He is a Yeti guy however.
    I know, right? I never would have thought that, having been on Ti since 2013, and absolutely loving the Optimus. But...I love the LES more. Light, snappy and fun. Not quite as plush/comfy as Ti, but it just clicks for me.

I was convinced I was getting a Blur. But being on it, vs. the SB100, it just doesnít feel as solid and comfortable. The SB frame is only just over 1/2 pound more than the Blur, and I can get the SB down to 25. Good enough for me, with how that bike pedals and rides.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Hey waltaz, you cost me a lot money this week! Knew nothing of the oiz until this thread. Went and test rode today and loved it. Felt at home in a few feet. Didnt expect a 29 to feel so responsive. Wouldíve bought if crank was 170 so will order it that way tomorrow from lbs. im sure sb and blur are great, but feels good to go with lbs right down the street from my house.
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Wow, dude...thatís is spot-on. Sorry you had to sell it!

What was the process to get the remote removed and the 3-pos lockout on the rear shock? Who did it, how long did it take, and how much did it cost? That lockout, combined with the front, is actually a big negative for me. Iím OK with the front, but do NOT want it on the rear.

I bought the frame from a local friend, but from what I understand, the shock needs to be sent to Fox and costs around $100-150. I'd have no use for a fork lockout, and the rear shock on a 100mm frame that pedals this well really doesn't need it either. For long fire road climbs, you can just reach down and flick the 3 pos lever into climb mode if you wish, but I never felt the need.

I am Walt

Talk Me Out Of A Blur TR

So I talked myself out of the Blur TR, and have ordered an SB100 - Turq XO1 build, Large, in black, with upgraded carbon wheels (custom; not the upgrade on the website).

Why, you ask? Here you go:
    1. Putting a leg over it, and doing the parking lot test, the Yeti just ďfeelsĒ right. Cockpit feels spacious and comfortable, and the bike looks and feels solid underneath you. I could easily envision being in the saddle all day on this bike. In comparison, the Blur is a little ďless solidĒ, which I donít mean in a negative way; rather, itís just not as beefy a build, feel and look. Thinner, lighter tubing, and ďfeelsĒ that way. I felt more confident on the Yeti.
    2. I absolutely hate the dual-lockout on the Blur, and the weird twist dropper activation. If I were to get the Blur, I would immediately send the rear shock in to get it converted to a 3-position lever, which entails 2-3 weeks and $200, which is unacceptable to me on a bike like that. Additionally, on this sort of bike, for my uses, I donít ďneedĒ the front fork lockout either. Love it on my SS, where I am up and climbing quite a bit, but donít need it on this bike. The Yetiís setup is traditional and simple (no front remote, rear 3-pos lever). Iíd also have to change out the dropper remote, so another PITA fix.
    3. Cable routing on the Blur around the bottle cage is aesthetically ugly, and a potential source of constant irritation.
    4. While I want a bike that is fast, efficient and an excellent climber, I also want a bike that is very trail-capable, and can handle rowdy/gnarly/chunky stuff. The Yeti clearly is better in this aspect, given the beefier feel and build, while also being recognized for being an amazingly efficient climber. And the Yeti seems like it would be more comfortable and fun on long marathon events, stage races and all-day-in-the-saddle 12/24 hour events.
    5. I donít need more of an XC race whip, as Iím not worried about hammering races on a 22 lb bike. I think if that was my primary concern, Iíd be more inclined to go with the Blur. But in terms of doing ďsomeĒ XC racing-type stuff, while also wanting a more all-around capable bike (per #4 above), the Yeti is it.
    6. Weight difference is not that great. Yeti is 5.5 lbs with the shock; Blur is 4.5 lbs without the shock, so adding in the shock on the Blur, what is that...1/2-2/3 of a pound less? Worth it, to me, for the ďburlinessĒ of the Yeti.
    7. While the black and white Blur looks real sharp, the black SB100, with the matching fork, is stunning, IMO. Itís a gorgeous bike.

Anyway, thatís my thought process, and Iím pretty damn happy with my decision, and the process I went through.

Thanks for everyoneís input and comments!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Congrats! Curious to see how much that bike weighs once you get it.

chasing simplicity
    Congrats! A successful thread and you didnít need any help!!

PS: For the record for anyone counting grams, my new medium Blur cc frame (black) without shock (sent in to Fox becuz Iím with you on the remote!) was exactly 1750g, with shock bolts on bike, chainstay protector, der hanger, seatpost collar, grommets and cage bolts.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Congrats! Curious to see how much that bike weighs once you get it.
    Iíll definitely update this thread once I get it all finished!

Ride more; post less...