Tailwhips- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tailwhips

mtbr member

Tailwhips

Anyone have any video of someone on a 29'er doing a tailwhip? A 360? Or a flip?

Just curious.

thanks
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I've seen videos of backflips, 360's, and tailwips on fixys. Considering the way they are building those bikes now they are practically 29ers.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut

Just curious.

thanks
    You and your fetishes!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old school BMXer
    HAHA
    Andy, you're funny...

I still won't be convinced that a 29er has as good of maneuverability as a 26er - although those fixie trixters do a pretty good job on their 700c bikes (I don't think they like their bikes being called 29ers). I even saw a guy racing a Niner at a BMX race in Utah, so I won't say that nobody would do that either. His gate starts sucked, though, despite the bike weighing below, I think, 19 pounds the guy said.

Lee
    Last edited by Blaster1200; 08-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    May the air be filled with tires!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Just curious.

thanks

ya know it has way more to do with the Rider's skill over the capabilities of the bike.

we've got a local guy that does sh*t on a tall bike that few could do on a regular bike

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    ya know it has way more to do with the Rider's skill over the capabilities of the bike.

we've got a local guy that does sh*t on a tall bike that few could do on a regular bike

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    hahahahahhahahahahaha that is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Awesome and amazing without a doubt, but still on a 26 inch wheel....

Don't get me wrong guys I'm all about the Niner. I have two that I love. I can't do jumps, nor do I ever want to start jumping into a foam pit, but I'm wondering if anyone else is.

the test dummy
    im gonna try next time i go to a foam pit
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    crickets huh??

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    crickets huh??
    I can't do any of those tricks on my dirt jump bike, let alone my 29er. I think it might be like asking if anybody has any cool World Cup XC victory photos of guys racing on BMX bikes. Heh.

Chris Canfield was bringing his 29er out to our local dirt jumps for a while (Photo John snapped some pics that were posted up here), and while there were a lot of whips, tables, supermans(men?), no-cans and no-handers thrown down, there were no tailwhips or 3s... I am sure a big guy like Phil Sundbaum wouldn't have too much trouble?

JMH

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

W0W............................................... ............................
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

The Punk Hucker
    Easy one (backflip at the end) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yORN4uCkc_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    I'm even more impressed if he rode that tall bike all the way UP to Greens Lick. That's no small climb.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Easy one (backflip at the end) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU
    Absolutely amazing, goes to show you, it's 95% rider / 5% bike.

@AndyakaRut... would you go Air 9 or SIR 9 for the backflip? Just saying...

Its got what plants crave
    You can't hit dirt jumps on a mountain bike they cried!

Then somebody did it on a 24" wheel.

Yeah but you couldn't do it on a 26" mountain bike I bet!

Somebody did it.

Yeah well you couldn't do it on a 29er that's for sure...

Someone will do it.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Absolutely amazing, goes to show you, it's 95% rider / 5% bike.

@AndyakaRut... would you go Air 9 or SIR 9 for the backflip? Just saying...

that was sick! he didnt even have disc brakes and did all those slow, stop and go moves with regular brakes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I still won't be convinced that a 29er has as good of maneuverability as a 26er
    Word! And 26ers aren't as maneuverable as a 24", which isn't as maneuverable as a 20"! When are we all gonna wake up and go back to riding 20" BMX bikes for the killer tricks it lets us all do. Stupid 29ers

I hate that name.
    I would be riding a 20" bmx bike right now if it wasn't raining.... on a bmx track. I rode a 29" bike on the trail this morning. The 29" handles really, really bad on the track. The 20" accelerates way, way faster. Its all about having the right tool for the task at hand.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    The point is there isn't ONE type of bike that excels at everything, just like there isn't one type of vehicle that is ideal for all types of driving.

I am 43 and took my 15yo nephew and his BMX bike on an 8 mile trail ride consisting of beginner - advanced level single track. He hated it. He even said his bike was wrong for that type of riding.

Bottom line, BMX bikes are good at doing what BMX bike do. 29ers are good for XC riding. Isn't that something we can all agree on?

is buachail foighneach me
    There's a video of Jeff Jones floating around where he's doing a trials demo in the Philippines(I think). He nails a bunnyhop 360 during it if I remember correctly, among all the typical flatland trials moves.

Most people who can do both will tell you that a 360 is harder than a backflip(off a ramp). So there you go.

mtbr member
    Great video but nothing on a 29'er yet huh?
    700cc is close and damn impressive-but not a 29er.

thanks!

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    There's a video of Jeff Jones floating around where he's doing a trials demo in the Philippines(I think). He nails a bunnyhop 360 during it if I remember correctly, among all the typical flatland trials moves.

Most people who can do both will tell you that a 360 is harder than a backflip(off a ramp). So there you go.
    Here's the footage (not by me). I was there when Jeff Jones did an outdoor freestyle demo as well - on clipless pedals too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afWaNHbVm0Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afWaNHbVm0Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It was nice to have met, hung out and ridden with Jeff Jones, Hans Rey and Justin Steiner of Dirt Rag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    Word! And 26ers aren't as maneuverable as a 24", which isn't as maneuverable as a 20"! When are we all gonna wake up and go back to riding 20" BMX bikes for the killer tricks it lets us all do. Stupid 29ers
    <- See avatar

I have to admit, being able to handle a BMX bike for the last 23 years has really helped my bike handling skills in general, even while riding my CX bike, I fnd myself using a lot of the technique.

Once you learn that stuff, it's engrained in your muscle memory forever.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    <- See avatar

I have to admit, being able to handle a BMX bike for the last 23 years has really helped my bike handling skills in general, even while riding my CX bike, I fnd myself using a lot of the technique.

Once you learn that stuff, it's engrained in your muscle memory forever.
    Yes, riding BMX bikes does help mountain bike riding skills (and CX)! I know a couple local CAT 1 XC riders who greatly improved their riding after recently picking up BMX again (they raced back in the 80s). They also found their sprinting to be improved as well. Many of the fastest DH riders have a BMX background.

Sure looks like Jeff Jones has a BMX freestyle background from the 80s as well.

And my avatar represents my background as well. That photo was in the June 1986 issue of BMX Action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agu
    It was nice to have met, hung out and ridden with Jeff Jones, Hans Rey and Justin Steiner of Dirt Rag.
    Where did you meet Steiner? At that event? Where was it?

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Where did you meet Steiner? At that event? Where was it?
    He flew over to cover the TLBF (see Jeff Jones footage), here in the Philippines. Kinda acted as their tour guide around the city, and was able to take them on a trail ride.

Here's his blog post about it on Dirt Rag: http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific...abal-festival/

Delirious Tuck
    Great video but nothing on a 29'er yet huh?
    700cc is close and damn impressive-but not a 29er.

thanks!
    I can't do the dirt jump stuff that well, but you seem to talk the talk, so feel free to borrow my sultan and give it a go, if the sultan doesn't work for you how about a rigid EWR?

mtbr member
    Talk the talk?? Oh that is just the computer talking. My rubber only leaves the ground when I'm putting the bike on the roof racks. Some friends were discussing the fact that the 29'er can't jump. I'm guessing they are wrong, just have not seen any footage of some of the dirt jumping stuff. While I have seen plenty of 700cc's and such doing some amazing stuff, I still am looking for the 29'er to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    I can't do the dirt jump stuff that well, but you seem to talk the talk, so feel free to borrow my sultan and give it a go, if the sultan doesn't work for you how about a rigid EWR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bike handling skills are bike handling skills. Add a "Huck It" attitude and anything is possible - doesn't matter what the wheel size is.

Give any top BMX'er in the world right a few practice runs into a foam pit with a 29'er, then toss them out on the trails. They'd be throwing whips, back flips, etc. in no time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Tallboy being hucked off the GLC drop in Whistler.

mtbr member
    Tailwhip (as mentioned above) on a 700c fixed gear freestyle frame. A lot of these guys run 2" (slick) tires or bigger. While they may not be 29" bikes, the tire/wheel size is basically the same. The difference in geometry and construction would not be unlike the difference in geometry and construction from a 26" dirtjump bike to a 26" XC race machine ...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7NagwAIdco?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7NagwAIdco?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can hop 180 my misfit pretty easy. Haven't got out to the dirt jumps yet to see how it spins in the air. Its never going to spin like a 20" but who cares, its fun. I have seen some local groms on 26" at the local skate park and they are so small that to scale, my wheels look smaller There is a timing difference with the bigger wheels but you get over that quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz6SAJkXBtc
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Nicely done MDub!

I know it is something that can be done. The peoples riding ability is simply too impressive to not to do it. So every once in a while I hope on another site. They are having this "arguement" that this type of riding cant be don't on a big bike. I think they are wrong. I know they are wrong! I just haven't seen it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    I can hop 180 my misfit pretty easy. Haven't got out to the dirt jumps yet to see how it spins in the air. Its never going to spin like a 20" but who cares, its fun. I have seen some local groms on 26" at the local skate park and they are so small that to scale, my wheels look smaller There is a timing difference with the bigger wheels but you get over that quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz6SAJkXBtc

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks.
    I hear it too, but never from people that can really ride. More often it’s the arm chair quarterbacks. I don’t really care too much, I just love riding bikes, and right now the big wheels are fun for me, something new you know? I ride trials, BMX tracks, trails, XC, shuttle with my DJ buddies, pumptracks and just popping wheelies with the kids around the neighborhood. Is a 19” better for trials? Sure, is a 20” better for street? Sure. Is my 29er capable of doing all of them to a level that is fun? Hell ya. There is talent that can throw down on any wheel size but some is just better for that purpose. Its unfortunate that people feel the need to bash sh!# but hay, we all do it. I do it all the time when people talk about long stems.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nino on his new 29er....

Old school BMXer
    Nicely done MDub!

I know it is something that can be done. The peoples riding ability is simply too impressive to not to do it. So every once in a while I hope on another site. They are having this "arguement" that this type of riding cant be done on a big bike. I think they are wrong. I know they are wrong! I just haven't seen it yet...
    "Can't be done?" No...just that people don't do it on a big bike. There's no arguement that a 29er isn't as maneuverable in the air as a smaller bike, but that's not to say that it can't be maneuvered in the air.

Oh...I just got mine finished.

Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    nino on his new 29er....

Nice whip! It's a rare occasion to see an XC racer who's not afraid to leave terra firma, and even more rare to see one who can jump their race bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Nice whip! It's a rare occasion to see an XC racer who's not afraid to leave terra firma, and even more rare to see one who can jump their race bike.

i don't mind leaving the ground... but i race on a 26"

Members who have read this thread: 0