Switching to 1x12 on Factory Rockhopper 2019- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6

    Switching to 1x12 on Factory Rockhopper 2019

    I have purchased a Rockhopper (Link:https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...opper/p/134064) and I want to change the gears to a 1x12 (or 10,11) and I think I have the right setup in mind, but can someone (with way more experience than me) tell me if I can use the SRAM NX Eagle DUB Group Set (Dub BB 73MM). I'm having trouble confirming this will work.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Confusing to figure out eh. There must be a sticky on this site somewhere to figure it out!?
    I too had to look into some of this.
    My understanding is first you need a HG freehub on the rear which I know 10 speeds have but below that I am unsure. Both Shimano and SRAM will work on a HG freehub for 1x10 or 1x11 not 1x12. The newest Shimano stuff is Micro Spline and will not work.
    Or install an XD driver and again both SRAM and non micro spline Shimano will work. If you install an XD driver in the rear hub then SRAM 1x12 will work. Aside from cassette, Derailleur, chain, XD driver,shifter I think you'll need a narrow,wide chain ring.
    Hope that helps.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the info, yes very confusing, it's not indicated anywhere on Bike specs. I know the Treks Marlin 5 has a Free wheel with screw on cassette but I haven't seen any indication of the Rockhopper having the same setup?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    I haven't looked into the Rockhopper at all as I do not own one?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6
    Ah, okay thanks for the feed back, hopefully someone on this has knowledge of the Rockhopper and can let me know.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    I made a mistake Shimano will not work with XD driver.
    I've come across an NX 1x12 drivetrain brand new take off that apparently will work with my HG freehub. Just not sure I can afford it right now.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grilledcheesetriple; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:59 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6
    Yeah its a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to switching bike components. So I've did a lot of research (since the Bike Mfg. aren't very supportive to share product details it seems), the Rear Hub on Rockhopper is limited from 8,9 or 10 Speed cassettes. A lot of Hub companies don't post the Hub max cassette speeds, you have to dig around to find it. Alternative is to buy a new hub (and or rear wheel) but then it has to work with the brakes you have or your switching everything out (then it becomes a question of cost vs. buying a new bike). I think its how the industry operates. Cheers

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Your hub has to be an HG freehub which will work with Shimano 1x11 and non xd -driver SRAM 1x11and 1x12

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    41
    Its not that hard...your rear hub is a Shimano hub. Its a standard 10 speed free hub. That will work with ANY cassette thats a HG free hub. Anywhere from 8 speed to 12 speed. SRAM has the NX eagle available in a HG free hub cassette. Shimano only has 11 speed that has a HG freehub. Box has an 11 speed with a freehub. I just installed a Box One drivetrain on my 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    Its not that hard...your rear hub is a Shimano hub. Its a standard 10 speed free hub. That will work with ANY cassette thats a HG free hub. Anywhere from 8 speed to 12 speed. SRAM has the NX eagle available in a HG free hub cassette. Shimano only has 11 speed that has a HG freehub. Box has an 11 speed with a freehub. I just installed a Box One drivetrain on my 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x.
    Hey how does the NX compare to an XT? Pretty much the same?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    41
    I went with Box, not SRAM or Shimano....but in my research I found ALOT of people were not happy with the SRAM NX longterm. XT seems rock solid. I was going to go with Shimano Deore 5100 11 speed but its not available yet so I went with Box One 11-50 and that has great reviews...so far its amazing.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    I went with Box, not SRAM or Shimano....but in my research I found ALOT of people were not happy with the SRAM NX longterm. XT seems rock solid. I was going to go with Shimano Deore 5100 11 speed but its not available yet so I went with Box One 11-50 and that has great reviews...so far its amazing.
    Thanks for replying. I loved XT on my old bike. I hate my Deore 10 spd shifting on my new bike!! Shifts like crap compared to my old XT Never really paid any attention to BoxOne. Maybe I'll look into it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Grilledcheesetriple View Post
    Thanks for replying. I loved XT on my old bike. I hate my Deore 10 spd shifting on my new bike!! Shifts like crap compared to my old XT Never really paid any attention to BoxOne. Maybe I'll look into it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If you look into Box One...make sure you find RECENT information. They have a V1 and a V2. The original didnt have an adjustable clutch and seemed to lose chain tension. It also suggested a chain guard to prevent dropped chains. The new version has more chain tension, has an adjustable clutch and doesnt require a chain guard...There are also alot of Box Two reviews and thats a lower end system. Box One is their high end drivetrain. There are some reviews of the Box One that put it on par with XT and GX. I have never used those so I cant compare...the system is very nice and is a step up from my MicroShift system which worked great.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, so the ROCKHOPPER comes with a FH-TX505, which says 8,9 or 10 Gear option (by default it comes with 8Speed Cassette ), so if I understand correctly I can switch the Cassette to a SRAM PG1050 (for example) and it should fit onto my existing Hub. I checked with Jenson US and the SRAM GX series will work. So I hope.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    41
    You can use any cassette thats compatible with a Shimano Freehub which is listed as Shimano 8, 9, 10 speed compatible. You CANNOT use a cassette thats Shimano Microspline or SRAM XD. So just to be clear. There are 3 common types of mountain bike cassettes...Shimano Freehub (or HG), Shimano Microspoline and SRAM XD. Not sure if the SRAM PG1050 you asked about is a mountain bike cassette....wouldnt be a great gear range for a MTB at all.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhone View Post
    If you look into Box One...make sure you find RECENT information. They have a V1 and a V2. The original didnt have an adjustable clutch and seemed to lose chain tension. It also suggested a chain guard to prevent dropped chains. The new version has more chain tension, has an adjustable clutch and doesnt require a chain guard...There are also alot of Box Two reviews and thats a lower end system. Box One is their high end drivetrain. There are some reviews of the Box One that put it on par with XT and GX. I have never used those so I cant compare...the system is very nice and is a step up from my MicroShift system which worked great.
    Ok thanks for the info eh!!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Wow lifetime warranty!!!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, as I'm new to MTB and upgrading myself, I'm figuring all this out, and the amount of feed back from everyone has help me better understand the parts and configurations. Yes I agree gears range are not the best, but for my current riding style they would be sufficient. Also I did check with SRAM and PG 1030,1050 &1070 are all rated for Trail, MTB use. Seems you can adapt even the Cassettes with Range Expander Rings, so I can switch out and add a 40T (example HopeTech 40T-Rex) giving extra while keeping the same setup.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grilledcheesetriple View Post
    Thanks for replying. I loved XT on my old bike. I hate my Deore 10 spd shifting on my new bike!! Shifts like crap compared to my old XT Never really paid any attention to BoxOne. Maybe I'll look into it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Hmm. Iím in the process of trying to convert my giant xtc from an XT 2x10 to 1x?. I was disappointed when I realized going to 1x12 is so costly and work intense if you donít have a Microspline bike. Iím eyeing the Deore 5100 1x11 set up and even though I would get to ditch the front D Iím afraid this would be a downgrade in parts quality overall. This thread has been helpful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStoick View Post
    Hmm. Iím in the process of trying to convert my giant xtc from an XT 2x10 to 1x?. I was disappointed when I realized going to 1x12 is so costly and work intense if you donít have a Microspline bike. Iím eyeing the Deore 5100 1x11 set up and even though I would get to ditch the front D Iím afraid this would be a downgrade in parts quality overall. This thread has been helpful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well, you can always use sram NX cassette with sram GX derailleur. it is not a shimano M8100 but it will work pretty well. there is always a way to get job done without shelling out for top $ components. i think NX cassette will even work with an xt deore crank.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStoick View Post
    Hmm. Iím in the process of trying to convert my giant xtc from an XT 2x10 to 1x?. I was disappointed when I realized going to 1x12 is so costly and work intense if you donít have a Microspline bike. Iím eyeing the Deore 5100 1x11 set up and even though I would get to ditch the front D Iím afraid this would be a downgrade in parts quality overall. This thread has been helpful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deore would be m6100 not m5100 wouldn't it?
    I've been going through all of this as well and new stuff is so pricey!!
    I could get a brand-new takeoff full NX drivetrain with DUB BB, cranks and everything for $450.00 CDN but it wouldn't be as good as XT. Think I will just save for new wheels and XT or GX drivetrain to get what I really want instead of messing around.
    Full XT m8000 would be my dream come true but they are hard to find and close to the same price as XT 8100 where I have found them but atleast I wouldn't need a new rear wheel as it seems not very many hubs are made to switch out from HG freehub to microspline or XD driver. I believe DT Swiss 350 can be switched though?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    58
    The best thing you can really do is just ride the bike until something breaks! Then replace stuff as needed. Believe me, if you ride enough things will break and itís good to have a bit of money saved away to pay for repairs and upgrades then!

    As was mentioned above, upgrading a drivetrain can be expensive especially when compared to the cost of new low end bike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grilledcheesetriple View Post
    Deore would be m6100 not m5100 wouldn't it?
    I've been going through all of this as well and new stuff is so pricey!!
    I could get a brand-new takeoff full NX drivetrain with DUB BB, cranks and everything for $450.00 CDN but it wouldn't be as good as XT. Think I will just save for new wheels and XT or GX drivetrain to get what I really want instead of messing around.
    Full XT m8000 would be my dream come true but they are hard to find and close to the same price as XT 8100 where I have found them but atleast I wouldn't need a new rear wheel as it seems not very many hubs are made to switch out from HG freehub to microspline or XD driver. I believe DT Swiss 350 can be switched though?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yea my hub is the factory ďgiant tracker 32hĒ and I donít think the body can be converted to Microspline or id be after a 7100 or 8100 series 12spd. What a can of worms that would be to convert to. And Iím not sure I think ur right. But I thought 4100 5100 and 6100 were all technically ďdeoreĒ which is just confusing nomenclature imo haha. Is that xt 8000 system youíre talking about a Microspline? If so I guess the 5100 would be our free hub equivalent. Now honestly since Iím coming from 2x10 Iím not sure if itís ok for me to go straight to the 5100 1x11. As far as price I wouldnít have an issue dropping 500 bucks on one neat groupset as long as it straight bolted on with no bullshit haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStoick View Post
    Yea my hub is the factory ďgiant tracker 32hĒ and I donít think the body can be converted to Microspline or id be after a 7100 or 8100 series 12spd. What a can of worms that would be to convert to. And Iím not sure I think ur right. But I thought 4100 5100 and 6100 were all technically ďdeoreĒ which is just confusing nomenclature imo haha. Is that xt 8000 system youíre talking about a Microspline? If so I guess the 5100 would be our free hub equivalent. Now honestly since Iím coming from 2x10 Iím not sure if itís ok for me to go straight to the 5100 1x11. As far as price I wouldnít have an issue dropping 500 bucks on one neat groupset as long as it straight bolted on with no bullshit haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    XT M8000 series will fit on no problem. It fits HG freehub so does SRAM SX and NX.
    Anything Shimano before the new 5100, 6100, 7100, 8100 etc. Will fit and will be 1X11 except Deore will be 1X10 but XT will be 1X11.
    Anything SRAM SX or NX will also fit and they are 1X12. New cranks with chainring seems to be the most expensive part.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,581
    Yes you can. I shoved a Nx group into the a niner emd frame with 135mm rear spacing using a non boost crankset and mounting the chainring inside the spider in order to get a decent chainline.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grilledcheesetriple View Post
    XT M8000 series will fit on no problem. It fits HG freehub so does SRAM SX and NX.
    Anything Shimano before the new 5100, 6100, 7100, 8100 etc. Will fit and will be 1X11 except Deore will be 1X10 but XT will be 1X11.
    Anything SRAM SX or NX will also fit and they are 1X12. New cranks with chainring seems to be the most expensive part.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the clarification. That actually helps a lot. Maybe Iíll look at SRAM setup and just change my bottom bracket??? Hmm


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by utkinpaul View Post
    well, you can always use sram NX cassette with sram GX derailleur. it is not a shimano M8100 but it will work pretty well. there is always a way to get job done without shelling out for top $ components. i think NX cassette will even work with an xt deore crank.
    Someone else mentioned this to me. Iím going to explore my SRAM options before I make any moves. Thank you for the advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    81
    SRAM NX cassettes can work with shimano cranks. Before swapping BB out check for other possible combinations that may fit.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    81
    GX derailleur is very good and costs only $20 more than an NX - make sure to use it.

    Good luck, it is all quite doable.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-07-2019, 12:56 PM
  3. 2019 SJ29 Factory Rx Tune vs. Factory DPS
    By furball in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2018, 09:33 PM
  4. Switching out factory forks
    By bubzilla in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 09:55 PM
  5. Switching out factory forks
    By bubzilla in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 05:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.