Swapping back n forwards from 29inch Wheels to 26inch- Mtbr.com
    "Its All Good"

Swapping back n forwards from 29inch Wheels to 26inch

Your thoughts...

Am not at all a die hard big wheel convert, I do love riding the big wheels indeed. Both sizes have there pro's & con's..

I have been on the Jones SS rigid big wheel bike for the past 4 - 5 weeks.... Been riding in New Zealand and in San Diego.

Work took me to Barcelona this week, so rode my MotoLite this weekend. The ML is indeed a beautiful stead.... BUT, I just couldnt really connect with the bike... Not sure if it was the 26 inch wheels, or if it was going to a FS rig... Was it the 2.1 tires as opposed to the 2.5 tires on the Jones...

Do any others have this issue. I never had as much so called issue going from the Jones to the Nicolai Helius FR...

Am not at all making a generalisation, but having a FS rig almost made the trail too easy, I dont have to think as much and the challange is not there the same....

Thoughts please....

Thank you in advance...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

|i|
    Personally, if I got a trail nailed on the rigid, riding a FS makes it feel like a bikepath. On my local trail, I swear sometimes it feels like I have full suspension, b/c I know the lines so well.

It takes a while to adjust back to suss, as well. The whole geometry changing when the suspension moves thing really screws up my balance now.

Moving between 29 and 26 is not as big a deal for me, though.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Personally, if I got a trail nailed on the rigid, riding a FS makes it feel like a bikepath. On my local trail, I swear sometimes it feels like I have full suspension, b/c I know the lines so well.

It takes a while to adjust back to suss, as well. The whole geometry changing when the suspension moves thing really screws up my balance now.

Moving between 29 and 26 is not as big a deal for me, though.
    I hear you, that sums it up pretty well to how I feel.

This is exactly what I was feeling, well worded robotkiller : The whole geometry changing when the suspension moves thing really screws up my balance now.

Am sure it will get easier etc, may have been a combination of many things too. I do know this trail really well and have ridden it many times....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It usually takes me two or so rides to feel comfortable on an FS after riding my rigid SS for a while.

I will ride my rigid SS for a few weeks and be stoked on it, then get the itch to switch to my 26" FS for a few weeks and be loving that bike. I really love both bikes.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

Work took me to Barcelona this week, so rode my MotoLite this weekend. The ML is indeed a beautiful stead.... BUT, I just couldnt really connect with the bike... Not sure if it was the 26 inch wheels, or if it was going to a FS rig... ..
    Funny you brought this up as this was on my mind a lot yesterday...
    I have been riding 29 hardtails for the last 2 + years. I also have a 26in FS (racer-x) that I take out occasionally when I ride at altitude or tahoe or whatever. I have a really hard time switching between the two - takes a ride or so to "get back" into whatever one I switch from.

Yesterday I demo'd a 29in FS bike. It felt really good from the first moment and there was zero transition time. I'm sure I will be replacing that racer x this year to a 29in FS ride.

PS: the fs does make things "easy" but it is really fun!
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    I have been riding my Aizan full rigid SS and then also riding my Epic.

I am loving my 29er SS and just raced it at a local MBA race, unfortunately had some flat issues, but thats my wheelset that needs upgrading.

But I have been training on the Epic for the upcoming Xterra season, but have been posting faster splits on my SS. I need the Epic for most of the Xterra courses, but am planning on trying out the 29er 1x9 with front shock to see if that will be compatable to race.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Your thoughts...

Am not at all a die hard big wheel convert, I do love riding the big wheels indeed. Both sizes have there pro's & con's..

I have been on the Jones SS rigid big wheel bike for the past 4 - 5 weeks.... Been riding in New Zealand and in San Diego.

Work took me to Barcelona this week, so rode my MotoLite this weekend. The ML is indeed a beautiful stead.... BUT, I just couldnt really connect with the bike... Not sure if it was the 26 inch wheels, or if it was going to a FS rig... Was it the 2.1 tires as opposed to the 2.5 tires on the Jones...

Do any others have this issue. I never had as much so called issue going from the Jones to the Nicolai Helius FR...

Am not at all making a generalisation, but having a FS rig almost made the trail too easy, I dont have to think as much and the challange is not there the same....

Thoughts please....

Thank you in advance...
    I switch between 26 and 29 often and adjusting takes 10-15 mins of trail time. If I have been on one wheel size for a couple of weeks it may take longer.

But I also find the switch between bikes types--be they rigid, hardtail, fully--to generally be more of an adjustment than wheel size. The rigid 26 and rigid 29 handle more alike than the rigid 26 and the fully 26.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I think Shiggy has it right in that it's prob the switch between bike types more than wheel size - when I hopped on my RIP9 coming straight off the 26" wheeled trance I had no problems what so ever, now going back is another story because of mainly how far away the tyres look Also wouldn't hurt to put some more meat on the ML comparable to the Jones and Helius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

sugoi chairinko
    After riding only my 29er rigid SS for about the last 5 weeks, I went out yesterday with my buddy who rides a racer-x (26er). It was the first time I've had the chance to switch back & forth between bikes of different sizes. The first thing I noticed is that I'm faster on my SS than I thought I was. It really is true that when you only have one gear you go harder! The next thing I noticed was that I definitely get better traction on the big bike, and once up to speed, it just motors along. However, I was amazed at how scorchingly fast I could descend on the RX. My regular ride is a BLT, and my buddy's RX usually feels like a hardtail by comparison, but yesterday, wow, it felt amazing.

All in all, I love the big wheels for what they are; smooth & swoopy. The SS aspect I love for what a hard a$$ it makes me feel like, but for me, there's nothing like a 26" full squish for stomping it when the trail points down.

"Its All Good"
    Good comments as I expected, glad am not on my own on this one, not that I thought I was...

Having mulled over it more during a great film at the cinema - We Own The Night (a really good film in my book)

I do think it is not so much the wheels size, but as many of you mentioned, the change from fully rigid to FS....

Am not sure I will go 5 weeks again, variety is the spice of life...... But I love the simplicity of no gears, pure and simple and fast.....

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Thoughts please....
    I think you are being ghey

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I think you are being ghey
    Each to their own BIG Boy.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

We the people ...

I ride a rigid SS El Comandante and sold my Intense 5.5 (not the 29 version) for a RIP9 recently. I here you on the balance thing but I have to say that I find the transition from the Tana' the the Niner much less of a jump than it was to the 5.5.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a transition but for me it's now 5 minutes not 5 rides.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by n plus one
    I ride a rigid SS El Comandante and sold my Intense 5.5 (not the 29 version) for a RIP9 recently. I here you on the balance thing but I have to say that I find the transition from the Tana' the the Niner much less of a jump than it was to the 5.5.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a transition but for me it's now 5 minutes not 5 rides.
    Good to hear, so that really means that one needs a 29 FS stead....... Sheesh

Captain Underpants
    Interesting thread Whafe, glad to see Fo was there to support you. I'm in the process of building up a FS 26er, will have to pay attention to the differences in ride quality between the two.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I switch wheel sizes constantly with no ill effect. When I was newer to the big hoops I had a little difficulty switching back and forth, not sure how I got over it but I did. In a given week Iím likely to ride 700x2.3s, 26x2.3ís, 7oox38cís, 700x28cís, and/or 700x23cís, so perhaps if you ara constantly changing you never settle into one wheel feel.

"Its All Good"
    I have put it down to some important factors:

Firstly - Am a dumb blonde

Secondly - The change I feel is not so much wheel size, it is going from full rigid to a FS rig....

I guess it is a good feeling to have a harem of steads to ride........

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Interesting thread Whafe, glad to see Fo was there to support you. I'm in the process of building up a FS 26er, will have to pay attention to the differences in ride quality between the two.
    i would not call it a difference in ride "quality", but ratjher a difference in the ride. I love my 26er FS...I think you are making a GREAT call....however, for a lesser travel bike with its corresponding riding intent (as compared to your RFX), I do think a FS 29er ROCKS! I have to say that mine is the best bike I have ever ridden/owned and quote me, i will not sell it!

mtbr member
    I basically ride with suspension to recover from rigid SS riding.

So I rarely get two consecutive rides on the same bike, and therefore I have no problems with the differences between them. But I could see how after riding the rigid for weeks at a time, the FS bike might feel weird and a longer transition period would be required.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

"Its All Good"
    Will ride the MotoLite tomorrow night, then ride the rigid on Saturday, will see how it goes....

fux
    Scooterist
    Whafe, I hear you buddy!

I have ridden my Sir9 for 3 weeks solid as a singlespeed and a geary.

This sunday I pulled out my RM SXC and rode with some mates.

I was absolutly appaling! I just couldnt seem to get anything right. I was all over the place, crashed loads and by the end of the day I was walking down stuff I normaly dont have second thoughts of bombing down.

What used to be my inspiration, turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. Are 29`ers cheating?

I`m seriously considering giving up 26`ers as a bad game and buying a ti custom 29`er hardtail as my AM/xc race bike and turning my Sir into a permanent singlespeed.

My wife will KILL me if she heard me talking this way.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

"Its All Good"
    Yep loud and clear.....

I want a 29er that can cope with what my Nicolai Helius FR can handle, then I will be over it like flies on a shiat.....

Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Whafe, I hear you buddy!

I have ridden my Sir9 for 3 weeks solid as a singlespeed and a geary.

This sunday I pulled out my RM SXC and rode with some mates.

I was absolutly appaling! I just couldnt seem to get anything right. I was all over the place, crashed loads and by the end of the day I was walking down stuff I normaly dont have second thoughts of bombing down.

What used to be my inspiration, turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. Are 29`ers cheating?

I`m seriously considering giving up 26`ers as a bad game and buying a ti custom 29`er hardtail as my AM/xc race bike and turning my Sir into a permanent singlespeed.

My wife will KILL me if she heard me talking this way.

mtbr member
    I'm having a hard time adjusting quickly w/ the two. I have a Soma Juice and BMC Fourstroke and it's hard for me to "adjust". It take me about a week or so. In fact when I'm on my Juice I feel a better sense of lower center of gravity and I feel like I'm more on my bike instead of on top it. I have not ridden my BMC in 2 months and I may never ride a 26er again unless my 29er is being repaired. 29er feels more stable to me in any trail and I feel way way more confident downhill than ever. I mean if you set your tire pressure right you'll feel extra suspension anyways.