Which suspension frame for me?- Mtbr.com
    breathing helium

Which suspension frame for me?

I've got a SS 29er and I'm looking to add a full suspension geared bike to the stable. I'm looking at either the Lenz Leviathan, Lenz Behemoth, Ventana El Capitan, Salso Dos Niner, or even the yet-to-be-released One Nine Zen. I'm not a big hucker kind of guy and I'd like it to build up light and be comfortable for all-day rides around WA and OR. I'm thinking that the Moth and El Capitan may be more bike than I need for my 160 lb. w/ gear self.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

The Dos Niner is light, but will it be as comfortable as say the Leviathan?

Also, has anyone ridden the Zen yet?

Thanks for the help. Any other frame/bike suggestions would be welcome too!

mtbr member
    Given your weight, description of riding style and the fact you're considering the Dos get a Lev or an Asylum - similar in purpose and weight. Don't get the Dos as it is not a FS bike. Isn't the Zen a 5-6" bike? Not sure of its weight, but I'd put that in the pile with the El Cap and Moth.

The El Cap is light (to me) but not as light as the other two recommended above and probably burlier than you need. I'm a clyde and love mine but it ain't no racer-boy bike.
    Professional Amateur

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Isn't the Zen a 5-6" bike? Not sure of its weight, but I'd put that in the pile with the El Cap and Moth.
    The Zen has been scaled back to 4".

Asylum...<3"
    Lev...3" with a 4" version this summer
    Zen...4" not available yet
    Monk...4"
    VanDessel...4" ?
    El Cap...4" with 5" rockers soon available
    Behemoth...5"

There are also other builders using the Ventana rear triangle. Sycip, Curtlo.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

breathing helium
    I'll mainly be riding cross country type of stuff but some of the trails around here (Washington primarily, Oregon some) can get wet (duh?) and rocky/rooty, so something full-sus would be perfect I'd think. I'm not going to be racing so all-day in the saddle comfort is a priority.

Boy! A 4" Lev would probably be perfect for the kind of riding I will be doing. I wonder when those will be available and how much they'll weigh?

I'm just shy of 6'1" and +/-160 with gear.

Thanks a ton for the help guys!

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I'll mainly be riding cross country type of stuff but some of the trails around here (Washington primarily, Oregon some) can get wet (duh?) and rocky/rooty, so something full-sus would be perfect I'd think. I'm not going to be racing so all-day in the saddle comfort is a priority.

Boy! A 4" Lev would probably be perfect for the kind of riding I will be doing. I wonder when those will be available and how much they'll weigh?

I think that the Lev is more of an all-day cross country rig than the Asylum/RX. The Leviathan is probably the bike I would get for a big wheeled FS.
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

mtbr member

SPIDER 29er

Don't forget about the Intense Spider 29, a great performer and can be built up light.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=160373

mtbr member
    I doubt putting the 4" rear on a Lev will add much weight. Levs build up in the 25-26 pound range pretty easily.

gray hair in my shammy
    According to the Niner website, the ZEN is 4.5inch travel, if 1/2 inch means anything
    Last edited by Old_Bashturd; 02-09-2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

Flight Junkie

My Sycip is a great option too.

Since you said a 4" option would be nice. I built a steel front Sycip mated to a Ventana rear, full custom. Weight is 26.8 lbs which is respectable. If you like a traditional look it is a great ride.

I'll mainly be riding cross country type of stuff but

some of the trails around here (Washington primarily, Oregon some) can get wet (duh?) and rocky/rooty, so something full-sus would be perfect I'd think. I'm not going to be racing so all-day in the saddle comfort is a priority.

Attached Images Attached Images
    ROTOR HEAD

TR
    Angry bunny
    Big rumour of a lighter FS bike from Ventana in the future too.

Always Learning
    Damn, you need to eat some more cheeseburgers!

BB

breathing helium
    Bruce,

I have seriously tried to gain weight in the past but had poor results. I ate all kinds of weight gain powder/sugar/fat/etc... and all it did was make me tired as heck! I joke that I have to metabolism of a hummingbird. I do like cheesburgers!

I'm leaning towards the Lev for now. That Sycip does look sweet though!

There are quite a few FS 29ers in the planning stages though. Intense Spider, One 9 Zen, new Ventana, ??? Looks like we'll have more choices pretty soon here. Yee-haw!

mtbr member
    I think that the one of the prime qualities of 29" FS is that it works well not matter how much travel you have. Take the DosNiner for instance which is getting rave reviews. In the quest for ever more travel and larger volume rubber to see where the outside of the bubble is I think that now companies like Ventana with their rumored short travel bike and GF with their Race Day platform are probably right in thinking that 85mm or ever 65mm or of travel is going to be plenty for an easily sub 25lb bike to satisfy the needs of XC/Endurance class racers and also most recreational riders.

I own a Behemoth and it is a great bike that has never failed to put a grin on my face every time I ride it. But it is heavy at 31+ lbs.. My first FS 29"er was 3"- travel and 27lbs.. While it was not as confidence inspiring on the downs it certainly was a bit easier overall on the ups. But for my style of riding I prefer the Moth overall.

It really boils down to the fact that there probably is no perfect one bike will do it all well and make everyone happy so without having to own a quiver of bikes compromises must be made. As individuals those compromises must be weighed and the final decision on what bike to get not taken lightly. I guess that is why folks post here looking for help on what bike to buy!
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

breathing helium
    Amen Bigwheel! It all comes down to preference and versatility. No single bike can do everything well. They all have strengths and weaknesses compared to others.

Right now I'm looking at the Lev. Seems like it will be the best of all worlds for me.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

I'll keep you guys posted as thing develop.

jl
    climb
    Right now I'm looking at the Lev. Seems like it will be the best of all worlds for me.
    I think you'll like it ...

We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

breathing helium
    Thanks for the nice pic JL. Right now it's just between silver or green. I'm leaning towards green to have a little color going on, though the charcoal is my favorite color by far. I'll be sure and post some pics of it in its element.

Hey, what front forks and disc brakes are you guys using? I was thinking maybe the new White Bros 100 or Reba and possibly the Hope or Magura martas. I have no experience with either, ony by what others say. Any guidance on that too?

Members who have read this thread: 0