Suspension Corrected Ogre w. Non-suspension corrected fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Suspension Corrected Ogre w. Non-suspension corrected fork

I picked up an Ogre frame that I didn't realize until today is a 2011, so has suspension corrected geometry (they changed to non-suspension corrected geometry somewhat recently, 2017). Unfortunately, I already ordered an Ogre fork that is suspension corrected.

From what I can find, the 2011 Ogre is designed for a fork that is 468mm, axle to crown. The fork I ordered is 447mm axle to crown (so, 21mm shorter).

Will 21mm significantly impact the handling? It doesn't seem like too much to me, but those sound like famous last words...

slow
    For much of the past year I have been using a non-suspension corrected Ogre fork on a Jamis Dragon that was built for a 100mm suspension fork. I noticed some difference in handling, but not to the point that it was detrimential or dangerous and I got used to it pretty quickly. I initially set it up for bikepacking, but it ended up being my "go-to" bike much of the winter for all types of riding. I did one multi-day fully loaded ride and it performed flawlessly on single track, double track, roads, etc.

If the opportunity to pick up an inexpensive Krampus / Karate Monkey fork came along, I'd probably replace the Ogre fork, but the way it rides is not enough of an issue for me to make it a top priority pursuit.

Suspension Corrected Ogre w. Non-suspension corrected fork-0704181224.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    For much of the past year I have been using a non-suspension corrected Ogre fork on a Jamis Dragon that was built for a 100mm suspension fork. I noticed some difference in handling, but not to the point that it was detrimential or dangerous and I got used to it pretty quickly. I initially set it up for bikepacking, but it ended up being my "go-to" bike much of the winter for all types of riding. I did one multi-day fully loaded ride and it performed flawlessly on single track, double track, roads, etc.

If the opportunity to pick up an inexpensive Krampus / Karate Monkey fork came along, I'd probably replace the Ogre fork, but the way it rides is not enough of an issue for me to make it a top priority pursuit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0704181224.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	1251756
    Out of curiosity, where is that, and what trail is that, Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Out of curiosity, where is that, and what trail is that, Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donner Pass trail next to Buckhorn Creek just above Greer Road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Beautiful bike! Good to know that you're not having issues, do you happen to know the fork mismatch? My main concern is lowering the bb height too much

I was looking into it a bit more, the 29+ ECR fork has exactly the correct axle to crown distance, but the rake is about 5mm more... decisions...

since 4/10/2009
    I had a rigid singlespeed I built up back in college that was a suspension corrected frame with a non-suspension corrected fork. It did handle kinda weird, but like sgltrak, I got used to it until I found a cheap fork that had a more suitable a-c.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by angelonc View Post
    Beautiful bike! Good to know that you're not having issues, do you happen to know the fork mismatch? My main concern is lowering the bb height too much.
    The bike was designed for a 2008 100mm Rockshox REBA 29 with an unweighted A-C measure of about 514mm. With 25% sag, that A-C measurement is about 488. My Ogre fork has a 463mm A-C. With the Ogre fork, the BB is a constant 11mm lower than the sagged REBA or 22mm lower than the unweighted REBA. Stock BB height on my bike is 310mm and I run 175mm cranks.
    I'd guess that roughly 50% of the time the compression of the REBA on the bike would allow the bottom bracket to be lower than the fixed height of the BB would be with the rigid Ogre fork installed.

Quote Originally Posted by angelonc View Post
    I was looking into it a bit more, the 29+ ECR fork has exactly the correct axle to crown distance, but the rake is about 5mm more... decisions...
    This seems like a good option. I don't ride enough that I'd be able to discern 5mm difference in rake between two different forks.