Surly Karate Monkey- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Surly Karate Monkey

I am looking to buy a Surly KM. I am am trying to figure out size and and have an opportunity to get a Med. from a friend, but its in PA.

Anyone in the Denver Metro Area have a Med KM built up I could take a spin on? Beer will be payment or coffee. The specs are close to my Black Sheep 29er, but don't want to buy something that's too big. I generally ride bikes between a 16"-18".

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBoop
    I am looking to buy a Surly KM. I am am trying to figure out size and and have an opportunity to get a Med. from a friend, but its in PA.

Anyone in the Denver Metro Area have a Med KM built up I could take a spin on? Beer will be payment or coffee. The specs are close to my Black Sheep 29er, but don't want to buy something that's too big. I generally ride bikes between a 16"-18".
    I'm nowhere near you, but I'll give you my experience. I usually ride 17"-19" in 26er's and the 18" KM was way too big. I sold it and now I am much happier with the 16". Remember, the KM seat tube is measured to the top of the top tube, not the seat collar, so the 18" is really closer to 20".

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My Black Sheep has a longer EFF TT and the ST is 19" from top of (ST) tube to center of BB. But it's a custom build.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    My Black Sheep has a longer EFF TT and the ST is 19" from top of (ST) tube to center of BB. But it's a custom build.
    Longer EFF TT than what?

For some reason the numbers did not add up for me on this bike. I normally would use a roughly 90mm stem on a 23" eff TT, but I ended up with a 80mm stem on the small KM (eff TT is 22.5"). Could have something to do with the seat tube angle.

Whatever the case, I think anything I have to contribute here is meaningless compared to the test ride you are wisely seeking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The BS has a 23.75 EF TT and I run a 90mm stem. I am 5'9" but with a 29" inseam. Yes, I am all torso and short hams. Makes fitting bikes a *****. That's why I went customer build on my 29er. I think the best way is a test ride. On some 16" 26ers, I have to run a crazy long stem.

Dr Gadget is IN

Why a KM?

The BS has a 23.75 EF TT and I run a 90mm stem. I am 5'9" but with a 29" inseam. Yes, I am all torso and short hams. Makes fitting bikes a *****. That's why I went customer build on my 29er. I think the best way is a test ride. On some 16" 26ers, I have to run a crazy long stem.
    Given your proportions, and nice custom build 29er - why are you lusting for a KM? Don't get me wrong, I love mine - just asking.

Also, a med KM is 19 7/8" to top of seat collar, and 18 3/8" to top of top tube from BB center. 22 5/8" from center of seattube to center of headtube along top tube. If that helps.

I'm 5' 9.5", with a 32" inseam, normal torso but long arms (36-37 in dress shirt sleeve) and run a 125mm stem.

KM is currently rigid/fixed gear. Mucho fun.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Recovering couch patato
    For a rider with short legs, the KM is indeed the last frame I'd recommend for fit. Quality and handling are great though. Km's have up to 3.5" more seat tube for a given top tube compared to other offerings. There's 1.4" there that other brands don't count.
    My KM fits well, but the frame looks like my cyclo-crossers with so little seatpost exposed. Me being all-legs that's fine though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess the only way to know is to ride one.

To answer the other question, I ride a 26" SS but am looking to build a 29" SS to ride as a mtn bike and build up as a cross SS to race SS in cross. My BS 29er is a geared bike, but I have sliding drop outs to convert it to a SS if I want. I just got the 29er and now am pretty much sold on 29ers. The ther reason is that it's a in-expensive steal 29er. If I had the cash, I would get another custom 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    I'm 5' 9.5", with a 32" inseam, normal torso but long arms (36-37 in dress shirt sleeve) and run a 125mm stem.
    what size frame do you have?

Aug 2006

KM Size

I am 5'8" with a 301" inseam. The 16" KM fits me like it was custom made.

I run a 120MM Stem, Reba 80MM, 1X9 Drivetrain.
    I have been trying different 29ers to see what I like. So far I have tried a Gary Fisher 292 and the KM. I have a Dos Niner on order.

I like the ride of the KM much more than the Fisher. I run around 30 lbs. of air in the rear ( Dual Duty with Rampage) and 32 in the front. Reba set up is 90+ 60 - with moderate compression and rebound dampning. I weight 172lbs.

The ride is plush! Rails corners and climbs and descends as well as anything i have ridden. Just slightly slower in tight single track.

Aug 2006

KM Size

I am 5'8" with a 301" inseam. The 16" KM fits me like it was custom made.

I run a 120MM Stem, Reba 80MM, 1X9 Drivetrain.
    I have been trying different 29ers to see what I like. So far I have tried a Gary Fisher 292 and the KM. I have a Dos Niner on order.

I like the ride of the KM much more than the Fisher. I run around 30 lbs. of air in the rear ( Dual Duty with Rampage) and 32 in the front. Reba set up is 90+ 60 - with moderate compression and rebound dampning. I weight 172lbs.

The ride is plush! Rails corners and climbs and descends as well as anything i have ridden. Just slightly slower in tight single track.

Anyway, I usually ride 17-18" 26er but found the 16" KM with 120mm stem the best fit I have found

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    what size frame do you have?
    'Twas implied: "Also, a med KM is " Medium, pitch black, red bling. So here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Apr 2007
    I recently finished putting my 18" KM tougher as a single speed. I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and long arms. A 90 MM stem seems to do the job for me. It's a very different ride than my Fisher and Salsa El M . But I did put a Walt rigid fork on it which probably gives it a lot different ride. i've only had it on cinderpack....so I don't have much to say about it other than it's a nice ride. so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0