superfly BB question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

superfly BB question

Does anyone know what the bottom bracket is on my 2008 Gary Fisher superfly?
    I am upgrading to a 1x and need this info.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    I recall seeing a lot of these bikes with Bontrager cranks that had a SRAM gxp bottom bracket. do you have the bike with the existing BB and cranks?

to clarify, this bike? https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...perfly/details

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    BB92

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes turtle, thats my bike.
    It came with a bontrager race X lite carbon crank
    Is cayenne pep correct? a BB92?

mtbr member
    can you see the BB cups on the bike? you should be able to remove the cranks easily and see the BB in there. if there is anything printed on it, that would tell you. or take a photo.

Was BB92 even a thing in 2008? it could be but I thought threaded BBs were still the only game in town at the time.

My bad. Pre-2010 Fisher Carbon used a English threaded BB shell, co-molded into the layup. I recall using XTR M960 Hollowtech II back then.

"This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I found an old preview that said they came with a 73mm BB.
    My bike guy said it should be a 30mm press fit or a 73mm threaded.

I am guessing it is the 73mm threaded? I just want to know so that I can keep riding while I order the bits to make it a 12 speed 1x. I will take it apart and have a look to be sure.

BTW it seems the bike industry is all over the map in regards to parts and OEM microfish that don't seem to be available. For example on my 17' 300 KTM I can go to various parts houses and click on year,make, model and get any part # down to the specific bolt.
    thanks

superfly BB question

Quote Originally Posted by superdave08300 View Post
    I found an old preview that said they came with a 73mm BB.
    My bike guy said it should be a 30mm press fit or a 73mm threaded.

I am guessing it is the 73mm threaded? I just want to know so that I can keep riding while I order the bits to make it a 12 speed 1x. I will take it apart and have a look to be sure.

BTW it seems the bike industry is all over the map in regards to parts and OEM microfish that don't seem to be available. For example on my 17' 300 KTM I can go to various parts houses and click on year,make, model and get any part # down to the specific bolt.
    thanks
    I honestly donít think Pressfit BB was prevalent in 2007-2008. Iím quite sure that it was threaded 73mm.

mtbr member
    does the bike still have the original BB in it? if so, does it have anything printed on the cups?

how complete is this bike right now? post some photos with closeups of the cranks and BB cups.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave08300 View Post
    thanks
    Some bike companies are better than others. That said, I've started keeping records for all of my bikes with this information just so that I don't have to go digging years from now trying to figure it out. Heck - who knows how many more bottom bracket standards, hub standards and seatpost sizes there will be in ten years...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    bike is all together
    I ride pretty much every day
    will post some photos when I have it up on the stand
    just want to get my ducks in a row so I am not down too long
    thanks,

mtbr member
    no need for pics. just look at it with your own eyes. do the cups have anything printed on them? logos, numbers, words, dimensions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    OK then, my bottom bracket says 43-07
    non drive side BSA

I guess BSA is not boy scouts of america or Birmingham small arms? (English made motorcycles and guns)

What type of BB do I have?
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh, and 16 notches

superfly BB question

If OP sees two outboard cups with splines - it is indeed English BSA threaded or Hollowtech II Shimano bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    It should say GXP or Shimano on it. BSA it the standard British threaded interface. BSA could be Shimano or SRAM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Bontrager Race X Lite cranks were rebranded Sram / Truvative GXP cranks. You have a threaded BB shell. Those cranks can be made into 1x if you just remove the chainrings and add something like a RaceFace 104 mm bolt circle narrow-wide chainring or remove the spider alltogether and use a SRAM 6mm offset direct mount chainring. I used those cranks for a while in that configuration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi Kdiddy,
    That would be nice not having to buy cranks.
    So if I go that route it would give me the right spacing for a 1x12 sram cassette?
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    And it looks with the race face NW I can change the chain ring but with the direct mount I am locked into that particular gear?
    All things being equal is their any advantage to either one?
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    the direct mount option lets you install whatever size ring you want, just make sure you get the 6mm offset version, since that bike is not "boost" spacing
    https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cr-xsnc-dm-a1
    Replacing the middle ring with a narrow-wide ring will allow you to go as low as 30T, since smaller sizes won't fit on the 104 BCD of that crank.
    The direct mount ring is a better option, in that it is lighter and simpler, but you need to remove the crank to swap out chainrings.
    You will still need to remove the cranks to take all of the chainrings off, but once that is done, you can just swap the chainring to another size if you wanted to. If you are upgrading to 1x12, you probably don't need to swap chainrings too often.