Superfly 100 AL base - who has one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Superfly 100 AL base - who has one?

I think I am going with a Superfly 100 AL as an upgrade to my Paragon. The Pro is more than I want to spend, and I prefer SRAM, so think I will go with the base model black/orange. It seems hardly anyone has gone with that bike, most are going with the Elite and Pro on here. I think it is the same frame, so I will upgrade some parts as I go anyway like normal and don't like the white of the Elite. Who has the AL? Any thoughts on the ride quality or have the weight out of the box?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just bought this bike and I love it! Not sure if I'm a good person to ask just started riding again after 20 years. The bike weight was 27 pounds before pedals. I did ride a few bikes and loved the superfly AL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just built mine up, but haven't weighed or ridden it yet. I looks nice, the frame is the same as all of the Superfly 100 Al's, the fork is not tapered, everything else is seems very functional if not the lightest or best parts. I'm planning to upgrade many things with stuff I already have or will buy, so this bike made the most sense for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, I think I am going with the 100AL with a few upgrades.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm curious about this as well, if anyone has any experience with it please don't be shy! I'm leaning towards the base model because it doesn't have the tapered steerer. My current bike has a standard 1 1/8th head tube, but I'm running a fork with a thru-axle. Going FS without a thru-axle seems wrong, but I can't afford the Pro model so I will most likely swap the fork I have now for the fox. If I go for the tapered steerer (on the elite model), I'd have to run the fox only on the superfly, but I'm really not into 9mm qr.

Which brings up the question, is my straight-steerer 15mm QR fork (Marz. 44 Micro Ti 29) going to be stiffer and perform better than the fox float with a tapered steerer and 9mm QR?

My current wheelset has a 9mm/15mm convertible front hub so I'd switch the wheels out on the bikes as well, saving some weight.

Sorry about all the questions, I keep being back and forth between the base model and the elite, but I really want to be able to throw the fox on my hardtail and put the fork with a thru-axle on the superfly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I know my post is a bit wordy so let me know if I need to clarify.

Edit:: I know about the issues with swapping a g2 fork out for a non-g2 and vice-versa. The Superfly has a 71 degree head angle (which is what my hard tail has), so I'm not too concerned about the handling effects either way.

noob
    it has a tapered head tube
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Get the base!

I purchase the elite one week after my buddy purchased the base and they are virtually the same bike unless you are a world class rider. About the only difference that is noticable is the brake levers on the elite are the smaller two finger brakes which is nothing more than a preference issue. He loves his bike and I love mine and he paid five hundred dollars less. As for the component package, both seem good but niether is great. Save the cash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue01gt View Post
    it has a tapered head tube
    Right but the steerer isn't tapered, and that's kind of where the question lies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ya I have the carbon one, and it flys. I've been doing really well in racing and it weighs only little more than some of our team riders s-works epics.

Members who have read this thread: 0