Suggestions for Slick and/or Semi-Slick 29" Tires- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

Suggestions for Slick and/or Semi-Slick 29" Tires

I would appreciate any suggesstions for slick and/or semi-slick 29" tires. I am looking for tires that work well on city streets and paved paths/trails. Thanks!

Back in the Saddle Again!
    Jan 2007
    Try on some Stans The Crow tires, they have been working great for me. They roll very fast even at 30psi!

MONKEYMAN
    yeah I'd throw another vote @ the crow. very fast tire.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member

Schwalbe Hurricane

Pro's: 85 PSI w/ continuous center ridge, so they roll REAL fast. 1.6 (40c in roadie talk) cross-section provides some cushion for bumps/potholes/curbs. Has some knobs on the sidewalls, so riding grassy/muddy areas isn't as perilous as roadie-like slicks - no problems on hard-pack off-road trails either. Kevlar-lined so virtually flat-proof (I had ~800 miles of Houston urban street and very poor condition bike path riding where I rolled through/over a bunch of glass and trash before my first flat).

Cons: Weight, cost, and availability (on-line only to my knowledge, but fast shipping). Sink quick in soft dirt.

The also have a reflective stripe sidewall which is very bright - it's up to you on whether that is a pro or con.

Good luck.

mtbr member

tire

I just mounted up a set of Specialized Borough XC's. Very cool 29 x 1.9 tire with a smooth center and knobs on the side. these are great on pavement and totally suitable for moderate trail use.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26396
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Borough

How much do they weigh? The Spec site doesnt seem to have the 29x1.9s. are these with a wire bead? Armadillo?

Thanx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsF
    How much do they weigh? The Spec site doesnt seem to have the 29x1.9s. are these with a wire bead? Armadillo?

Thanx
    for some reason, the Specialized links change often...

look under MTB tires > Competitive XC. These are folding bead. You can buy em from The Path, call Brian and he'll hook you up. I think they were $38 ea.

mtbr member
    They look a bit like a shaved Fast Track...which is already a fast tire. If they have puncture protection, great.

The Crow is a wicked fast tire. Scarily so, depending on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by highrustler
    for some reason, the Specialized links change often...

look under MTB tires > Competitive XC. These are folding bead. You can buy em from The Path, call Brian and he'll hook you up. I think they were $38 ea.
    Professional Amateur

SingleTrackSal

IRC Mythos Cross...

A nice semi slick tread pattern that can be had in sizes up to 42C. Quality catalog number TR2657, can order at any LBS with a Quality account.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler
    I just mounted up a set of Specialized Borough XC's. Very cool 29 x 1.9 tire with a smooth center and knobs on the side. these are great on pavement and totally suitable for moderate trail use.
    I agree. I just popped a pair of the Boroughs on my bike yesterday. I threw 'em on to compare them to the Fast Traks that I had been riding. Profile was lower--I gained a half-inch of much needed standover. The Boroughs roll noticeably easier than the Fast Traks. I had expected that, because of the treadless center strip. They wanted to turn more easily too. That part was a surprise. I felt slightly less stable on the bike, not really in a bad way, but in the way that you would expect from a skinnier tire. Going downhill in town, I felt like the Boroughs didn't spin with the same "authority" as the Fast Traks. Approaching home I rode through some glass and flatted my tire.

Despite the flat, which was just "one of those things", I like the tires. I'm going to run them for a few days before deciding which set to leave on the bike.

Oh, I tested the Boroughs yesterday on good pavement, on sucky pavement, on gravel, on light sand, and in some deep and loose sand at a construction site. I only had trouble in the deep sand, which the tires are not designed for anyway. The tires handled everything else just fine.

I live to bike
    why not just use road tires? excellent for city streets and paved paths. And faster rolling than any mtb tire.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    why not just use road tires? excellent for city streets and paved paths. And faster rolling than any mtb tire.
    ***EDIT: Of course, you were replying to the original poster. Duh. My bad there. I can't seem to delete my post though, so I'm just going to edit a bit.

Road tires might work for the original poster. I've thought about them a bit myself, but I don't think I'd like them for where I ride. I'm not always on pavement. Sometimes I'm on gravel or dirt alleys. Sometimes I'm on dirt roads. And our streets are not always so hot either. They tend to be rough and uneven and cracked and potholed. And I tend to be a little rough while riding around town. I often hop the curb from street into my yard, and there's a sloped curb that I hit almost full-bore when I'm flying down the hill from my house to the bank.

One thing I really enjoy about the 29er is how much more easily I can ride right up over a curb. It's probably the kid in me coming out, but it's fun to ride right up to a curb and just keep on going right over it like it's nothing.

Right now I'm happier with something a bit beefier than the typical road tire. I actually have two sets of tires for my 29er hybrid: a pair of 29x2.0 that's more trail oriented and a set of 29x1.9 that's more road oriented. I can swap between 'em depending upon my mood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbevo
    I would appreciate any suggesstions for slick and/or semi-slick 29" tires. I am looking for tires that work well on city streets and paved paths/trails. Thanks!
    for some thinner, though not necessarily lighter than knobby's. panaracer ctx 700c37 or the hutchinson globetrotter 700cx42 are both more on the slick side w/ inverted tread. nashbar's got 'em for about $10/eac
    a decent and relatively cheap semi-slick - the irc mythos CX 700x35 or 42 (they seem to have disconinued the 45, but can be found on closeout).

money no object (ie ~$40) and a nice fat & fast tire- schwalbe big apple or supermoto 29x 2 or 2.35..

try driving your car less
    i have 'continental goliath' tires that work well.
    i like the looks of those spec. tires, too.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Semi-Slick 29er

I am in the same boat, seeking semi slick 29er tires.
    I have found my perfect tire image which is also connected with this forum, but I do not know what it is called or where to find it. If anyone could help me to identify this tire, here is the image link: https://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29...eborough_l.jpg

261499d1179089459-suggestions-slick-semi-slick-29-tires-07tireborough_l.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 1