Suggest a bike for me- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Suggest a bike for me

Hi Everyone,

Iíve been reading the forum for a while now, tons of great information. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I am looking to get back into riding. Most riding will be done on local trails, nothing too technical. Iím not planning on doing any racing but I would like to join a local riding group.

I would like to buy a bike that I can ďgrow intoĒ as my skills improve. Iím not a complete novice but I havenít ridden in over 10 years. Iím willing to spend the money to get a solid bike that will last me several years (budget=$2000). Fit is an issue. Iím 6í5íí/210lbs/fairly athletic.

Still debating HT vs FS. However, Iím pretty set on getting a 29er. I am now considering a Specialized Stumpjumer Comp 29 or a Stumpjumper EVO 29. Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    i'm 6'3" and about 215. check out the scott scale 29ers. ridiculous value. (that's why i got mine)
    Coincidently I'm on the Scott website right now. Did you have to make any modifications to make the bike fit you? What size did you end up with?

mtbr member
    i'm 6'3" and about 215. check out the scott scale 29ers. ridiculous value. (that's why i got mine)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstntch View Post
    Coincidently I'm on the Scott website right now. Did you have to make any modifications to make the bike fit you? What size did you end up with?
    the bike fit me perfectly without any modification, i have a 34" inseam, i'm on an XL and a TINY bit stretched out, i'll be going with slightly shorter stem (maybe 80 or 90) so i'd imagine you'd be fine. it's a perfect xc type bike with a bit of a racey feel. and you really can't beat what you get for the price.

Happy Trails
    Apr 2010
    Consider a steel hardtail; stronger than aluminum, ride is less harsh. Love my Marin Pine Mountain and GT Peace 9er ss rigid.

Ride Bikes. Drink Beer. Repeat :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Check out the Kona Honzo, steel 29er, and a couple bucks left over for helmet and accessories. Good luck and enjoy the shopping

KONAWORLD

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into each further. I was on the Cannodale site last night. I see some of their bikes come in a "jumbo" frame, anyone familiar with them? I like the Scalpel 29'ER 4 but it only comes in an XL. Opinions? I know I need to go and test ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    [QUOTE=jeff c;9093400]Check out the Kona Honzo, steel 29er, and a couple bucks left over for helmet and accessories. Good luck and enjoy the shopping

The Kona Honzo seems to be a good a value. I have a dealer near me, might check them out this weekend. Thanks

Dog Slow
    You can't go wrong with a Kona, I am a big guy too and have had the same steel Kona for 15 seasons now without any issues, and if there is ever a problem Kona's warranty team is awesome. I cracked the BB off of my commuter (a 2004 Kona Dew) a few years ago and they sent me an upgrade as a replacement

mtbr member
    check out SETTE , very nicely equipped , down side is you have to do some assembly
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I know I'm late to the party on this thread, but a couple of years ago I started to get back into mtb'g after riding road for a while. (state opened a mtb park in my back yard...)

I now have a 10' Stumpy 29" comp and love it....

My point in writing is that a lot depends on your trails and what your goals are for riding. Do you like to stay seated? Stand & pound? Ever going to race? Are you going to be a casual rider or get addicted and then not be happy with whatever you choose now and upgrade year after year?

More bang for your buck in HT vs. FS. In Minny you can ride HT easier than in other states where there is more DH / rougher terrian.

cheers~

Members who have read this thread: 0