Which sub-70 deg head-angle budget hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    May contain nuts

Which sub-70 deg head-angle budget hardtail?

Must support 2x10 (Kona Honzo & Taro are out).

Must have thru-axle fork (Trek X-Cal is out).

Must be less than $2000.

mtbr member
    Kona Honzo can be used with front derailleur. I put a Problem Solvers collar with direct mount and it work great !

mtbr member
    Hum, guess you have a different idea of "budget" than others Haggis Was going to reply good luck for a budget one of these until you posted your $$ budget

Loads of these out there these days, just pick which one you like the look of, try to get a test ride. Don't rule out any that are mainly sold as frame only options as you can find some sweet OEM deals for 10X setups and blow out deals on forks right now. You could build a Paradox/Yelli/Nimble/Honzo/etc with decent parts for your $2K budget if you shop wisely. Raleigh has their Mason as completes and they look pretty nice and good spec. That's about all I know, I don't really do full/completes these days, just frame onlys and swap parts from previous bikes and/or get exactly what parts I like.

CropCircle, I looked at the Honzo and thought that would be a possible solution, thanks for posting up the pics to confirm
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trek Stache 7? 2x10, Front and rear through axel, 68 degree, mostly SLX gear with a shimano plus rear derailer, $1700 retail. Test rode the stache 8 and it is really a solid bike.

Whats drawing you to the HT...just curious?
    Last edited by stygz1; 02-27-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Another option Superfly AL - Trek Bicycle

Really fun and nice XC hardtail IMO

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROPCIRCLE View Post
    Kona Honzo can be used with front derailleur. I put a Problem Solvers collar with direct mount and it work great !
    Good to know... thanks. Kona back on the list

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Trek Stache 7? 2x10, Front and rear through axel, 68 degree, mostly SLX gear with a shimano plus rear derailer, $1700 retail. Test rode the stache 8 and it is really a solid bike.

Whats drawing you to the HT...just curious?
    Stache would be ideal, but over here they'll probably sell for around $3-4k NZ

Why HT? - winter riding, commuting and just saving wear on the bouncy bike...

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, guess you have a different idea of "budget" than others Haggis Was going to reply good luck for a budget one of these until you posted your $$ budget

Loads of these out there these days, just pick which one you like the look of, try to get a test ride. Don't rule out any that are mainly sold as frame only options as you can find some sweet OEM deals for 10X setups and blow out deals on forks right now. You could build a Paradox/Yelli/Nimble/Honzo/etc with decent parts for your $2K budget if you shop wisely. Raleigh has their Mason as completes and they look pretty nice and good spec. That's about all I know, I don't really do full/completes these days, just frame onlys and swap parts from previous bikes and/or get exactly what parts I like.

CropCircle, I looked at the Honzo and thought that would be a possible solution, thanks for posting up the pics to confirm
    Sorry, meant 2k NZ which is approx $1600 US...

Members who have read this thread: 0