mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sub 22lbs Tallboy?

Any suggestion to drop some more weight?
    Here is mine
    This bike ride so NICE. I have a few bikes and this bike has been one of the best so far. It turns in fast, climb great with minimal bob, and stable on the down hill. It's light too but could be lighter.
    size medium
    Specialized S29 fork with carbon crown and steerer
    Elixir CR breaks
    1x9 XTR crankset and cassette
    Crest+240s hubs+Rocket Ron
    Candy pedals
    ...22.42 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice bike!
    You could drop a little bit of weight, but it would be very expensive for very little savings.
    Eggbeater 11ti - ~122g savings
    Forumla R1 brakes - ~170g savings
    Sram XG999 cassette - ~46g savings
    ZTR 29er Race Gold wheels - ~150g savings

At best you'd be able to save around a pound, but it'd cost you over 2 grand.

EDIT: also a little bit of weight to be saved in Bar and stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Eggbeaters, strip all the paint, and tie some helium balloons to it.

Your bike is stupid light, just go enjoy the hell out of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the responses.
    Helium in the tires check.
    the bike weight 22.24lbs with eggbeater 4ti. (I like the candy better)
    2grands to save a pound? Damn. whatever happen to a dollar a gram???

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Carbon Lefty.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Shorten the front brake hose,Infact those brakes are not the light ones.

XX W/C brakes would be lighter.

Alloy backing plate disc pads.

Fit the early model cast rear caliper mount.

Take the rubber orings off the shocks.

Shorter stem.

Shorten the rear derailier cable.

Alloy valve stems

Take the stickers off the fork.

Lighter pedals.

Ti bolts for the rotors & all the other bolts that have not been done.

Take the grease nipples out of the lover link & tap over them & only fit to grease.

I'm told by the world SS champ that the crest rims drop 10 grams each if you dip them & remove the anodising.

After tea I will list some more.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 06-27-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Shorten the front brake hose,Infact those aren't brakes are not the light ones.

After tea I will list some more.
    Double damn!!! i did not think of half the stuff you mentioned. I guess i am not a true WW. Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to color cordinate also. I do have the XX W/C breakset on another bike but the color does not match. Just like the rear break mount

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Carbon Lefty.
    No Lefty for me, thanks. It's not my thing

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    Double damn!!! i did not think of half the stuff you mentioned. I guess i am not a true WW. Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to color cordinate also. I do have the XX W/C breakset on another bike but the color does not match. Just like the rear break mount
    I had not finished yet

Drill 2 holes between each spoke hole on the inside of the rim before you tape it. (at least you will die happy )

Radius off the back edge of the spoke nipples.

Radius the edges of the brake rotor arms.

Machine down the heads of all the new Ti bolts & cut them all a little shorter, ( Note don't drill holes through the centre of the bolts unless you know how to workout what you can get away with ).

Reduce the Dia of the Avid cup mounts.

Ceramic bearings.

Ligther handle bars.

I will stop now so I don't get flamed to bad.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 06-27-2011 at 12:30 AM.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You forgot the obvious, dump the remote lockout, that's all excess weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    You forgot the obvious, dump the remote lockout, that's all excess weight.
    Agreed on excess weight. However, i ride SS 90% of the time and i am used to stomping on the pedals. I need the lock out to help w/ pedal bobs. I NEED lock out

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just said dump the lever. Ie, replace the remote assembly with lever on fork.

mtbr member
    1x9 on FS 29er is awesome, i wish some would try singlespeed :P. Definetelly bar/stem could save weight as others have said, and the brakes.

Waiting for Godot
    carbon frame shock will lose lots of weight
    Out riding, leave a message

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    are you actually planning to ride the reba s29 with the crown race seated where it is???

if so, you should max out you life insurance before the first ride. seriously, that looks dangerous!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Village Dirtbag
    Not a whole lot you could do, but there are a few easy things.

Go to Toronto cycles and load up on the Ti (although it looks like you may've already). Do your rotor bolts, caliper bolts, seatpost bolts, stem bolts, and use Ti or Al for the controls clamped to your bar. Also get the superlight 8gram top cap they have- most push 20g. All that will save you about 120g or so- over 1/4 pound, and cost about $160.

Power Cordz will save you another 22g or so for $30. If you buy their housing you'll probably save even more. They don't stretch and are available in colors, too.

It doesn't look like you have foam grips, but if not that'll be 50-80g for next to -nuthin.

That should get you pretty close to 22 lbs for not much more than $200 with no notable sacrifice in strength or performance.

Also look at off-bike weight. I replaced my everything imaginable Topeak Alien with a Lyzene with just what I needed and saved half a pound for $30.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    are you actually planning to ride the reba s29 with the crown race seated where it is???

if so, you should max out you life insurance before the first ride. seriously, that looks dangerous!
    Wow, just saw that.
    - Simon

Supersonic Garfield
    That fork will snap at some point, please check the lower headset seating. It must be fully seated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Is that a carbon race?? Or is it a spacer with a race on top of it??? weird...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That fork is scary and not in a good way
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, carbon lefty or sidxx world cup.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    snellvilleGAbiker

allow me to clarify, the reba s29 does not have your "standard" tapered steerer.

the reba s29 from the 2010 specialized top end bikes had a weird, proprietary steerer that would only fit the s-works hardtails and the epic marathons (maybe a few other models, not sure). but, the important this is that the baseplate sits too far up in those frames. that is why you race is seated the way it is.

basically, if you want to run a tapered steerer, any other fox, reba, etc will work....but the s29 won't.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys/gal.
    1. thanks for pointing out the fork sitting in a weird position. I'll fiddle w/ it tomorrow. If not, i'll swap it out w/ the Reba XX i have sitting in the garage. I'm sure there'll be a weight gain it that.
    2. All the bolts are Ti and the grip is Esi w/ road bike cork wrap
    3. The stem is Raceface deus 70mm. The bar is pretty light already and only at 24 inches. I'd prefer 25-26 inches but that'd be some weight gain.
    4. Power cordz is a good suggestion,i'll look into it.

Again, thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As said, go with the WCS Foam grips, find an all carbon seat that you'll never sit on (you are an SS'er) and a pair of Specialized Renegade tires. Ditch the XO for SH XTR Shifters and Shadow R Der. Colorado Cyclist is BLOWING out SH parts right now. $129 for M970XTR shifters.

Oh yeah, R1 brakes and DT 190 hubs will get you some more weight loss when you swap that frightening fork out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No XTR derailuer or shifter for me. Not a fan.

Here are the future upgrades:
    1. Formula R1
    2. Ritchey foam grip
    3. Race face Next SL crank arms(sitting in the basement). i think they weight 50g less than XTR crank arms
    4. Syntace F99+ti bolts stem=90g (it's on another bike)
    5. Handle bar is a tough one. I have a few RF Next flat and riser bars that are ~120gm but they're too short and have no sweep. I hate them.

I have the Syntace duraflite carbon 31.8 bar +FR deus stem 31.8 70mm that i really like but they are heavier.

What handle bar that is in 25.4 w/ 9deg sweep and around 650mm?
    and what stem???

mtbr member
    I don't care if it has been said already or not. That fork setup is dangerous. I would address that issue before you worry dropping more weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    whats the full parts spec?

Do you use all the gears?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I went back to the LBS where the fork was installed. I spoke to the mechanic, who happen to be a Niner bike test rider, semi pro racer, and a cycle youth coach, and he said that s29 steerer is strong enough to easily support my weight (135 lbs). Just to entertain me, he did swap out the fork for the nontaper XX29 fork. I did a 30 mins test ride on my regular trail and the XX does not measure up to the s29. The front felt heavy and not as stiff. Almost less responsive, less smooth.
    In term of safety, i am not sure if the XX is safer. Could some of you guys explain why the s29 is dangerous the way it is? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I went back to the LBS where the fork was installed. I spoke to the mechanic, who happen to be a Niner bike test rider, semi pro racer, and a cycle youth coach, and he said that s29 steerer is strong enough to easily support my weight (135 lbs). Just to entertain me, he did swap out the fork for the nontaper XX29 fork. I did a 30 mins test ride on my regular trail and the XX does not measure up to the s29. The front felt heavy and not as stiff. Almost less responsive, less smooth.
    In term of safety, i am not sure if the XX is safer. Could some of you guys explain why the s29 is dangerous the way it is? Thanks
    Just look at the way the headset race fits (not) into the headset cup.
    Take a peek at any Tallboy (SCB board) and you'll see nothing like that.
    Frankly, that Mech. should be fired for letting a bike out of a shop in that condition.
    Not joking. Don't believe? Send those pic's to Santa Cruz and Specialized. (trust me, they both lurk here and have already seen them).

Old school BMXer
    Oh my! It looks like your so-called mechanic used a stem spacer! I'd never let him work on my bike again! That's just freakin' crazy!

By the way, those seat posts are hard on seat rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sub 22lbs Tallboy?-cane%2520creek%2520carbon%2520headset%25201%252018_small.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    May the air be filled with tires!

jms
    mtbr member

Clear enough?

Could some of you guys explain why the s29 is dangerous the way it is? Thanks
    It's potentially dangerous because the butting in the steerer tube isn't designed for the crown race to be installed that high, or without more support from the lower headset bearing. Continuing to use the fork in this fashion could lead to the fork crown and steerer tube shearing below where the crown race is currently mounted.

After that, you crash, then you get to learn how to eat through a feeding tube.

Clear enough?
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    After that, you crash, then you get to learn how to eat through a feeding tube.

Clear enough?
    You forgot to mention that snellville will be in fo' some new 'fronts too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Alright, i'll investigate and strip it down and see what's underneath.
    So my options are:
    1. Get rid of the s29 because i CAN NOT make it fit
    2. Get a new fork w/ taper steerer from fox or rockshox.
    3. Use my non taper reba XX w/ a reducer

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    since you clearly will need a new fork anyhow, get a german A fork, the kilo version with 90mm travel will save you 1lbs. over the reba xx, even the regular style xcite with 100 or 120mm version will save you +0.5lbs.

http://www.german-a.de/en/29.html

cant believe they used a spacer under the headtube with a CARBON steerer. even with aluminum steerer it would be suicide - no matter how light you are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Guys, have a read of this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7511365

The crown race on those forks (assuming 2010?) sits further up the steerer, so it looks bad but is actually safe.

Supersonic Garfield
    Funky! Disregard my comment in regards to the steerer, as it seems to be safe. It looks weird, though

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know of one way to add weight, but with all the gold it's a necessity... Where's your Yumeya crank bolt? I know it adds 1 gram but COME ON!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Guys, have a read of this thread...

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/specialized-reba-s29-fork-superfly-100-a-666771.html#post7511365

The crown race on those forks (assuming 2010?) sits further up the steerer, so it looks bad but is actually safe.
    Thanks for the link. It ease my mind a bit.

FYI...The cabron piece that some people assumed to be a "spacer" is NOT a spacer.
    It's a big A$$ crown race that looked to be glue into the bottom of the steerer.
    I took some pictures of the crown race. The silver piece is glued to the crown race and does not move.

giddy up!
    Sell the orange frame and buy the matte black version. If I remember correctly the difference is roughly 100 grams.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Trail Junkie
    I don't think that setup is a compromise in strength. The crown race makes contact with the exact same size diameter steertube as all the other ones. I also imagine that carbon crown is very very strong...its not like a typical rigid carbon fork.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I don't think that setup is a compromise in strength. The crown race makes contact with the exact same size diameter steertube as all the other ones. I also imagine that carbon crown is very very strong...its not like a typical rigid carbon fork.
    I didn't think it would compromise in strength either but as you can tell, a lot of people think it will. I was hoping for some sciencetific explaination of it being weaken and dangerous.

As stated previously, to me this set up ride a lot better than the nontaper reba xx.

Old school BMXer
    I don't know that fork at all, so I'm at least glad to see that it's not a carbon spacer in there!

Something still doesn't look right, though.
    May the air be filled with tires!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Thanks for the link. It ease my mind a bit.

FYI...The cabron piece that some people assumed to be a "spacer" is NOT a spacer.
    It's a big A$$ crown race that looked to be glue into the bottom of the steerer.
    I took some pictures of the crown race. The silver piece is glued to the crown race and does not move.

Immm nothing like a good foreign glue to help weaken carbon,If you put a small cut it it then you know you will brake it That is what your trying to do right ??

Carbon & Ti rule
    I didn't think it would compromise in strength either but as you can tell, a lot of people think it will. I was hoping for some sciencetific explaination of it being weaken and dangerous.

As stated previously, to me this set up ride a lot better than the nontaper reba xx.
    The Flat bottom on the steel race is the widest part to help support the fork crown so it doesn't flex there & so the load is spread better.

What you have there looks like how you build in a weakness so you can make it brake were you want it to.

Craig's is an engineer ask him what he thinks,But for me you are asking for trouble.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i've got a 2010 s-works ss 29 with the reba s29, i will see if i can snap a pic of the race/steerer and see if your set up will be safe. i'll snap a pic and post later today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Just look at the way the headset race fits (not) into the headset cup.
    Take a peek at any Tallboy (SCB board) and you'll see nothing like that.
    My fork is much heavier,but I will keep it instead of doing something that may be risky to save weight.

Nice bike OP
    " width="549">

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I can't see how having the crown race in that position could be considered safe in any way. The load is now on the narrowest part of the steerer and you've left a nice gap for leverage. And the mechanic glued the new race to the fork ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Agreed on excess weight. However, i ride SS 90% of the time and i am used to stomping on the pedals. I need the lock out to help w/ pedal bobs. I NEED lock out
    Replace the Fox shock with a DT Swiss XR Carbon. Much lighter and it has a proper lock-out (not like the pro-pedal on the Fox, which is pretty unimpressive IMO). Did it on my XL Tallboy and it has made a huge difference. Love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I doubt 200 grams will make a diff on that bike, I'd ride it like you stole it!! and enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i will to revelations carbon crowns... JHK used in him reba carbon crown proto on superfly 100

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I can't see how having the crown race in that position could be considered safe in any way. The load is now on the narrowest part of the steerer and you've left a nice gap for leverage. And the mechanic glued the new race to the fork ?
    Where the crown race is fitted in the pictures is where SPECIALIZED designed it to be! Where THEY glued it! There is a gap below the race as the fork was designed for a 2010 S-works Specialized frame, which has the lower internal bearing fitted up inside the headtube. Dont forget that bottom headset cup in the pic is a 1.5", so it is deceptive to look at it, it sort of looks like he has tried to fit a taper fork onto a 1-1/8" headset, but thats just not the case.

ballbuster

Wow.... just... wow

[
    You can't make this shiz up.

Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    I doubt 200 grams will make a diff on that bike, I'd ride it like you stole it!! and enjoy!!

200 grams is almost half a pound. That is not an insignificant amount of weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Where the crown race is fitted in the pictures is where SPECIALIZED designed it to be! Where THEY glued it! There is a gap below the race as the fork was designed for a 2010 S-works Specialized frame, which has the lower internal bearing fitted up inside the headtube. Dont forget that bottom headset cup in the pic is a 1.5", so it is deceptive to look at it, it sort of looks like he has tried to fit a taper fork onto a 1-1/8" headset, but thats just not the case.

That's absolutely correct. It's 1 1/2 at the bottom, not 1 1/8. It feels a lot more solid than the nontaper reba xx i put on to see if it ride any better. The s29 ride much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

update!!!

It's now under 22lbs

I changed the following:
    Race Face Next crank (save 49g)
    ZTR race Gold (save 250g)
    CB Ti 11 (save 18gm...my candy only weight 198g)
    sram 999 cassette (save 45gm)
    XX brake (not sure how much weight i saved)
    Handle bar and stem(not sure how much i gained )

Last edited by snellvilleGAbiker; 09-09-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

Master of Beat
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Someone in Austin is rocking a sweet sub 20lbs Tallboy... mucho $$ spent on that build. And the guy is a helluva rider too.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    If your pedal bopping that means you need to find tougher terrain. How much does it weigh once you put a couple of water bottles and other gear on it, like spare tube or small seat bag?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27 View Post
    Someone in Austin is rocking a sweet sub 20lbs Tallboy... mucho $$ spent on that build. And the guy is a helluva rider too.
    <20lbs???? WOW, he gotta have the lefty on there. $$$$ for sure.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Race Face Cranks.

I'd be doing something different with those cranks quick before you put too many rides on them. I run the Next SL cranks as a 2x10 when it should be a tripple. On my second set of cranks now due to the spider cracking at the bolt holes. Race Face are looking after me because I was using spacers where the big ring would be, but I see you are not.Turns out the pressure distribution without a bigring bolted inplace is just a tad too much for the carbon spider.
    On a separate note, wicked beast of a bike you got there!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ubermach429 View Post
    I'd be doing something different with those cranks quick before you put too many rides on them. I run the Next SL cranks as a 2x10 when it should be a tripple. On my second set of cranks now due to the spider cracking at the bolt holes. Race Face are looking after me because I was using spacers where the big ring would be, but I see you are not.Turns out the pressure distribution without a bigring bolted inplace is just a tad too much for the carbon spider.
    On a separate note, wicked beast of a bike you got there!!!
    thanks, what type of spacer do i need to put there?
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hmmmm...... I got mine with my FRM chainrings, but I recon the spacers that come on alot of bashrings that the downhillers use should fit the bill.
    Have a chat with the LBS and see what they have around the place.
    Here is a closeup of my cranks with said spacer, also shows what to keep your eye out for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. I could easily fabricate this spacer.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That's the lightest tallboy I've ever thought of... and definitely the ugliest. Gold and orange...ewww... I think mine is a little over 30 lbs and I'm pretty sure you couldn't ride most of our local trails w/ your build. When I moved here, I had to up my stock bike to a 120mm fork, dropable post and big gnarly tires to handle the ridiculous log drops and stupidly steep runs you find in Santa Cruz...

Now why exactly are you trying to build such a light 29er dualie? Is this sort of an academic exercise?

mtbr member
    No Lefty for me, thanks. It's not my thing
    Why!? They are apparently the hands down best performing fork out there, not to mention you would shave almost a pound off that thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There's no way that crown race is safe or installed correctly. I have the Specialized Reba S29 fork and mine doesn't have a metal spacer glued to it.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Gold is heavy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey View Post
    That's the lightest tallboy I've ever thought of... and definitely the ugliest. Gold and orange...ewww... I think mine is a little over 30 lbs and I'm pretty sure you couldn't ride most of our local trails w/ your build. When I moved here, I had to up my stock bike to a 120mm fork, dropable post and big gnarly tires to handle the ridiculous log drops and stupidly steep runs you find in Santa Cruz...

Now why exactly are you trying to build such a light 29er dualie? Is this sort of an academic exercise?
    I don't know about ugliest but it ride really nice.
    Why? because i can and also i'm 130 lbs
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    There's no way that crown race is safe or installed correctly. I have the Specialized Reba S29 fork and mine doesn't have a metal spacer glued to it.
    That's a pretty strong statement there. Reba S29 2010 fork is a proprietary fork and does not fit any other taper HT except for the specialized bikes. I have the same fork on my S Work SS and it fit perfectly.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    May 2017

fixed up

here I fixed it upSub 22lbs Tallboy?-fixed2.png