Stumpjumper FSR 29er XXL- Mtbr.com
    Waldmeister

Stumpjumper FSR 29er XXL

Hey there,

is there anyone who has the XXL Frame of the 2010/2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er?

I would like to know how this thing handles and maybe your body sizes.
    I am 198cm tall (6'6'') with a 95cm inseam and just wondering which would be a good frame size for me.

How is the optical appearance of that monster? Is there anyone having a picture of the XXL frame?

Thanks!
    IMTB

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomShakkaLagga
    Hey there,

I am 198cm tall (6'6'') with a 95cm inseam and just wondering which would be a good frame size for me.

How is the optical appearance of that monster? Is there anyone having a picture of the XXL frame?

Thanks!

the XXL would probably be great for you...for reference, I'm about 6'4" and I find the XXL too big. It does look a little odd with the 23" seat tube, but I think in that size it's a much better looking bike than some of the other options out there.

Waldmeister
    thanks! i think that`s the only brand where i am in the range of recommended rider sizes and even between two sizes... hmmm...

is there anyone with a photo of that thing? also is there anyone who has that frame in this available champagne silver?

thanks!
    IMTB

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey there,

Thanks!
    I've got a 2010 FSR Expert and 2011 SS in XXL and both look great (proportional), especially in person.
    If you are in the Jupiter, FL area, you are welcome to check them out.
    I enjoy both bikes, but prefer the SS for local (flat) trails. The Avid rear brakes are noisy, but otherwise the bikes are great.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    another 6'4 guy who rides a 21 (xl) from specialized. 23/xxl is a bit too big. i can ride one, and it's a bit tall and a big long. at 6'6 you should fit great
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

On wuss patrol
    is there anyone with a photo of that thing?

thanks!
    Ask and you shall receive. Here's me at 6' 7" and 220 lbs with my 2010 XXL. Fits me perfectly, or at least as perfectly as any off-the-shelf bike can. As a 29er, very proportional to itself and me, I think. Handling is fine for a bike this size and I find it fairly flickable. If it fits, the XXL sounds like the bike for you as you might feel a little cramped on the XL.

Glad to help.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

wheelset and frame strength

For those of you riding the stumpy fsr 29er xxl I have a couple more questions

How are the stock wheels/hubs? I am seriously considering this as my next bike but at 6'8" and 240lbs I have issues with rear wheels and hubs. Any thoughts...

What is the weight of the bike?

Would you say the bike is laterally stiff?
    Thanks,
    E

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by bigE

How are the stock wheels/hubs? I am seriously considering this as my next bike but at 6'8" and 240lbs I have issues with rear wheels and hubs. Any thoughts...

Thanks,
    E
    The stock hubs on the Expert have been know to hold up better than the hubs on the Comp. The hoops are the same for both bikes and while they have required some truing and tensioning over the last 8 months and almost a 1000 miles, they have taken a pretty good beating. I did blow up the original alloy freehub body and DT replaced it under warranty with a steel shell type. So far, good at about 400 miles. Like most OEM components with any brand, it can be a roll of the dice so replace/upgrade as needed.

Weight is just a bit under 31 pounds.

It is about as laterally stiff as any trail bike in its class. I did an extended trail test ride on a Sultan and they feel quite similar. That said, it is more noodly than I was comfortable with at first but the pivots are still quite tight and once used to the handling, it works.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

is your picture somewhere around St. Helens?

Malibu,
    Is your picture somewhere around St. Helens? I think I recognize logs in the lake...
    I live between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon.

A few more questions...
    How is the rear tire clearence? What width rim and what tire are you using? Would a 28mm wide rim with a 2.25 or 2.3 fit back there?

Have you ridden the bike in the Bellingham area?

E

On wuss patrol
    bigE,

Yes, above Spirit Lake on Windy Ridge. Great ride. I have not been up to Bellingham but would like to. I have heard about some amazing stuff there from guys I ride with.

I had a Nevegal 2.2 on the back it was very tight. With the Stick-E compound, I found it picked up rocks often and they would get shoved between the tire and the seat stay, knocking the paint off. Also, not a lot of mud clearance. I will stick with 2.1 or 2.0 for the rear from now on. I find the stock Specialized Captain Control in 2.0 is a little wider than 2.0, has good clearance and is a good all-around tire for the places and conditions I ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a 2010 in XL. I'm 6'5" ~210lbs When I got it I was over 300lbs and questioned if I really needed an XXL , more for the longer wheel base than the reach. Now I don't worry so much about going OTB. I had a great ride on it Sunday morning!

Your right on the edge between XL and XXL. Ride both if at all possible!

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4" on an XL. I was breaking spoke nipples on the rear wheel, so I relaced the wheel with stronger spokes and brass nipples.
    I just built up a set of wheels with Gordos. Haven't ridden them yet. Trails are under deep snow.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Wheels on SpecialEDs are notorious for not being well built (at least on the lower end ones), best bet if you want them to last is to take them to a trusted wheel builder and let them go over them and maybe even do a complete rebuild before you even ride them.

Sure is a lot of standover clearance on that XXL Glad I'm not that big to require XXL sizing, as is I think it's hard enough to get a stiff enough chasis on XLs. If you're of the XXL size, sadly they're aren't many options, but just to throw out another there is also Ventana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Stumpy stock hubs

Quote Originally Posted by bigE

Thanks,
    E
    I bought the 2010 Stumpy Comp FSR - I was curious about the rear hub, but given how many times I walked out of the woods after stripping out the rear hub on previous bikes (particuarly Shimano hubs), I took no chances - I had the rear wheel built up on a DT Swiss hub before I took it home - These babies have performed incredibly under my 240#

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    thanks! i think that`s the only brand where i am in the range of recommended rider sizes and even between two sizes... hmmm...
    If you have the budget, both Turner and Ventana makes 23" 29er FS frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

my rear hub on my 2010 died after 10 months.

I had never had problems with hubs before so I don't think I'm hard on them, although this is my first 29er. The free-hub stopped working in the middle of an Xtera race, sucked having to walk the bike back to the start.

They ended up warrantying the hubs with another DT hub they claimed was equivalent and had the bike shop rebuild the wheel with the old rim and spokes. I figured if these were equivalent I may not be able to to trust them. Also I never had good luck getting the wheels to work reliably with tubeless so I decided to get some better wheels/rims and keep the OEMs as spares. Went for Hadlley hubs with Stan's arches rims and have been very happy.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Stumyp FSR 29er vs. Rumblefish

Hearing that the Stumpy FSR doesn't have a lot of rear tire clearence has me thinking about the other similarly priced 29er that is close to fitting a 6'8" rider, the Trek GF Rumblefish.

Does any one have any real world trail experience with the Rumblefish? How does it compare to the Stumpy 29er? How is it for lateral stiffness?

Does it have rear tire clearance for a wider rear rim and a 2.25 or 2.3 rear tire?

Or, at 240lbs should I go straight to the Ventana El Rey or Turner Sultan?

E

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm 6'8" as well (but only 190 lbs) and have had my Trek Rumblefish for close to a month and I have nothing but praise for it. Given I am not a very experienced rider and this is only my second "real" bike I can't really give you too much feedback on the riding characteristics compared to other bikes. However, I'm very pleased with the bike. Handles great, and thanks to the G2 geometry it was hard to notice the transition between the 26" wheels on my old bike and the new 29ers. My bike is at work, I can get some measurements on the tire clearance for ya tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ogre on a Sp SJ FSR 29er...

To return this trend back to its OP:

I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam and ape arms! I utilized a XXL, 20in, Kona Coiler frame as "my size" bike. The poor Coiler had plenty of seatpost showing with a 1.5" riser bar mounted in order to fit the bike to my stature. Unfortunately this puts me in a gray area when it comes to the '11 Spec SJ FSR Expert 29er!!!

Do I fit an XL or XXL? Any input prior to me pullin the trigger...?

For what it is worth I have rode an XL '10 SJ FSR 29er Comp, it did 'feel' somewhat 'tight' in the TT measurement...

Over and out,
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412

Man, that bike look gigantic !
    DirtySixer Bikes, California
    Big 32er & 36er bikes for tall riders
    DirtySixer
    Facebook
    Instagram

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    Do I fit an XL or XXL? Any input prior to me pullin the trigger...?

For what it is worth I have rode an XL '10 SJ FSR 29er Comp, it did 'feel' somewhat 'tight' in the TT measurement...

Over and out,
    Try 'em both before deciding. I would say that for 6'4", the XL should fit and the cramped cockpit could be remedied with a setback seat post and/or longer stem. The XXL actually has lower standover than the XL and with the longer TT, it may be the ticket. Try 'em.

Members who have read this thread: 0