Stem Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stem Question

mtbr member
    May 2005

Stem Question

How many of you out there have your stem flipped to get your bars height down? I have a Race Face stem, and the website said it could be run at a postive or negative rise.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    How many of you out there have your stem flipped to get your bars height down? I have a Race Face stem, and the website said it could be run at a postive or negative rise.
    Ritchey WCS flipped to neg. 6 degrees.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, My 20" unit 2-9 has a pretty long head tube, and with the fork set at 100mm of travel, they bars are pretty high even with a Salsa flat bar. So it looks like the stem flip is a solution.

Recovering couch patato
    I do it when I feel like it. Some handlebars I use have negative rise which also helps. It's different on each bike for each rider. Smaller frames suffer most from too-high handlebars, but it can always be solves quite easily.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

ICORR - FORC
    I felt a little crowded on my s.i.r.9 on the first ride Sunday and so flipped the stem over today (110mm 6 degree rise RaceFace Deus). Made a big difference. I'm still running 1-1/4" rise bars and may switch to a flat bar.

Sweep the leg!
    I just replaced a Bontrager Race 7 degree with a Ritchy WCS and it is also "flipped" negative. I have the same sensation about the height of the bars due to the tt length.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Another Ritchey stem here, flipped -6 degree. Would have never considered doing that with my 26" bike, but the 29er is just too tall in front without the flip.

mtbr member
    A) Caffine Powered, your bike makes me very thirsty for some reason...

B) I have the stems flipped on two bikes. One has a 130mm Ritchey WCS, the other has a 120mm Ritchey Pro; both 6°. I used tro run an older Ritchey Comp (before they but lettering in both directions for flipping) and it was fine, too. Actually three bikes...the Profile stem on my Crosscheck is flipped for more rise than the typical stretched out roadie position.

C) No, I don't have a Ritchey fixation, their stems just seem to keep being the best bang for the buck when I'm buying one.

D) That is all

Gold Member
    I am going to do the same thing. My Inbred has a stem that is a good 3/4 - 1" taller than my seat.
    So I will be at the very least flipping it to make it equal.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Madre runs a 0 degree on her One 9 with a flat salsa bar.
    On her Leviathan she runs a flipped 5 degree Thomson with a flat Salsa bar.

Personally, I could only dream of needing a flipped stem. Instead, I have a 4" fork, a gigANTIC head tube, 3 spacers, and a 10 degree stem...with a flat bar.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    I am going to do the same thing. My Inbred has a stem that is a good 3/4 - 1" taller than my seat.
    So I will be at the very least flipping it to make it equal.
    I also flipped my stem on my Inbred - I run a RaceFace Dues 120mm upsidedown. If I didn't do that, I'd get the feeling like I was on a chopper with ape-hangers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did anyone who flipped a Ritchey ( or any other stem ) add or subtract spacers to compensate? I am thinking of doing the same thing but wasn't sure if it would be too drastic.

Jan 2006
    [QUOTE=Padre]Madre runs a 0 degree on her One 9 with a flat salsa bar.

I just got a Hope Tech 0 degree stem for my medium frame it is did the trick also comes in any color you want haha. Made a big difference over the 10 degree that came stock.

bike geek
    I run my +/- 5* Thomson in + when using a rigid fork, and flipped - when using my Reba. Once left it flipped - with the rigid fork and felt like I was about to pitch OTB on any steep section.

Work Shed...
    Right now I'm running a stock bontrager (100mm??) that came with my paragon. Im getting lots of hand pressure with positive rise, did you guys notice less when you flipped your stems?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QCRage
    I felt a little crowded on my s.i.r.9 on the first ride Sunday and so flipped the stem over today (110mm 6 degree rise RaceFace Deus). Made a big difference. I'm still running 1-1/4" rise bars and may switch to a flat bar.
    How much did flipping your stem and to the lenght? 5 or 10mm? I also have the Reba set at 100mm of travel with a 5.25 inch long head tube with a salsa flat bar just to get the bars down. It looks like flipping the stem is going to work perfect for me. I also noticed that the Orbea 29er come with their stems flipped to be negative as well.

ICORR - FORC
    How much did flipping your stem and to the lenght? 5 or 10mm? I also have the Reba set at 100mm of travel with a 5.25 inch long head tube with a salsa flat bar just to get the bars down. It looks like flipping the stem is going to work perfect for me. I also noticed that the Orbea 29er come with their stems flipped to be negative as well.
    That's a good question. I flipped it w/o checking any measurements so was basing everything off of my gut feeling. I just crunched the numbers based on a 72 degree head angle for a medium frame (Reba @ 80mm), 110mm +/- 6 degree stem and came up with this:

Flipping the stem from "positive" to "negative" dropped the bar 22.2mm and lengthened the saddle-to-bar length by 7.1mm. With your Reba set to 100mm, I would expect you'd get slightly more drop and less additional length, but only a couple mm difference in each direction.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QCRage
    That's a good question. I flipped it w/o checking any measurements so was basing everything off of my gut feeling. I just crunched the numbers based on a 72 degree head angle for a medium frame (Reba @ 80mm), 110mm +/- 6 degree stem and came up with this:

Flipping the stem from "positive" to "negative" dropped the bar 22.2mm and lengthened the saddle-to-bar length by 7.1mm. With your Reba set to 100mm, I would expect you'd get slightly more drop and less additional length, but only a couple mm difference in each direction.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for crunching the numbers! That is what I wanted to hear. The bike is at the shop right now getting the fork converted, a new Cane Creek Solos headset installed, and the stem flipped. Can't wait to ride it Saturday. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootberry
    Right now I'm running a stock bontrager (100mm??) that came with my paragon. Im getting lots of hand pressure with positive rise, did you guys notice less when you flipped your stems?
    I would think you'd get more hand pressure by flipping it as it moves your weight forward.

Only one way to tell! It's an easy change to make so give it a try!

Cheers!
    -Ian

Members who have read this thread: 0