Stem length- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stem length

mtbr member

Stem length

I am wondering what others use to determine their fit and setup on a 29'r. Do you determine your reach by what "feels right", or do you mimic a previous 26'r MTB set up or road bike set up?
    In building up a hardtail MCR, I don't have the luxury of swapping out stem's of varying length's until I find the best reach. Although the frame angles are different between a 29'r & my road bike, should I just try to match effective top tube length when choosing stem length?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger
    I am wondering what others use to determine their fit and setup on a 29'r. Do you determine your reach by what "feels right", or do you mimic a previous 26'r MTB set up or road bike set up?
    In building up a hardtail MCR, I don't have the luxury of swapping out stem's of varying length's until I find the best reach. Although the frame angles are different between a 29'r & my road bike, should I just try to match effective top tube length when choosing stem length?
    Black magic, mostly. Besides that, I have a measurement that I use that I call 'cockpit'. It is from the back of the saddle to the center of the h-bar and I kinda go by that to get in the right range.

But.

That is not written in stone. Bar sweep, saddle position/seat tube angle can mess with this a bit, so in the end it is a starting point that I keep my bikes very close to, but will vary here and there by 10mm or so. As well, some bikes just feel better with a stem that is either shorter or longer regardless of the tape measure, but that takes some experimenting to find that out.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Occasionally engagedů
    You might find this article (link) that Lennard Zinn of Velonews just put up. In it, he lectures the cycling industry on how they should designate frame size and tells how to make the measurements -- should help for getting you in the right position, particularly if you want to mimmic something you had before.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You might try using an inexpensive adjustable stem as an experiment to find the sweet spot, or at least the perfect reach, then use this stem calculator to help determine how any specific fixed stem would be a replacement or improvement. http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

mtbr member
    Very cool stem chart!

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Black magic, mostly. Besides that, I have a measurement that I use that I call 'cockpit'. It is from the back of the saddle to the center of the h-bar and I kinda go by that to get in the right range.
    ditto. except I measure from back of saddle to end of handbar.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger
    Bike fit is bike fit ( for the same type of riding) regardless of wheel size.

I do this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...6&postcount=11
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0