Steerer tube length to head tube length Help please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Steerer tube length to head tube length Help please

I have never swapped out forks on a bike before so I need a bit of help with this. I am looking to pick up a used Reba fork for my new winter build and need to know if the steerer tube will be long enough. The tube is 185mm and will be going on a L Air 9 with a head tube length of 105. Is this going to be long enough? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes it should be long enough.

I just measured up my L Air 9.

A Chris King headset (including crown race) takes 31mm.

I measured up three stems, a Thomson X4 (40mm), a Bontrager (45mm) and a Truvative DH (50mm).

Even with the beefiest stem you will just make it with no spacers required. (105+31+50=186)

With the Thomson stem you would need 10mm of spacers.

You will need to measure your headset and stem in case they are different to the examples I have used.

Gratuitous photo of my Air 9 below. I didn't trim much off the steerer and have about a 25mm spacer, the 45mm stem and flat bars. This set up feels good to me.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    most stems have a clamp length of 40mm or so.

most headsets stack heights are 33mm (king, cane creek) but you can go low stack with a crank bros, at 20mm.

40mm for the stem, 33mm for the headset is 73mm. the large air9 ht is 105mm....total 178mm....a 185mm steerer will be fine, and allow some spacers for fine tuning the stem height.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Kam and Ozy thanks for the info it was a big help. Still haven't decided on a stem yet but I have been leaning toasted a Thomson so it's good to know it all should work. I did get great news and the FedEx guy should be at my house today or tomorrow with my new frame

Members who have read this thread: 0