Steep STA and Saddle Setback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Steep STA and Saddle Setback

Regarding saddle setback, anyone run out of saddle rail space trying to match their older geo bike?

mtbr member
    Don't try to match your older geometry. The whole point of steep STA is that it's an improvement, don't undo it.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I just put my 480mm bars back on. #inspirationallychallenged
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Don't try to match your older geometry. The whole point of steep STA is that it's an improvement, don't undo it.
    Not trying to match old geo. I am trying to duplicate the same measurement fore aft of knee over BB I had before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    Not trying to match old geo. I am trying to duplicate the same measurement fore aft of knee over BB I had before.
    That's what he means. The newer bikes are designed to put you in a more forward position relative to the BB. Try raising your saddle instead to get the proper extension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    That's what he means. The newer bikes are designed to put you in a more forward position relative to the BB. Try raising your saddle instead to get the proper extension.
    Ahh yes, Thank you.

mtbr member
    I also found it more comfortable to slide my cleats back a little.... if you use clipless. Still sit just about center rail on the saddle though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I also found it more comfortable to slide my cleats back a little.... if you use clipless. Still sit just about center rail on the saddle though.
    I also have moved the cleats back to more closely emulate the position I get on flats. I think it works better for my biking style.

mtbr member
    Regarding saddle setback, anyone run out of saddle rail space trying to match their older geo bike?
    You can buy a set-back dropper from KS or from 9.8 if you want to try to repilcate your fore-aft posi re BB

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    We have a couple threads on this----some folks are finding they want to be back a bit----others are finding seating top tube is too short---and others love it. Could just take some more time.

Next week I am doing a factory demo of a large ripley and we will see after a good long ride what I think----parking lot ride showed the top tube was short---measured and a full 3/4 inch shorter than current bike.

I am hoping a good long ride will show me this is ok---it think going to a setback post shows that the bike is not the correct one for you as you are basically going back to older geo---I also do not want to extend the stem more than 10mm for the same reason---good news is there are lots of good bikes but I hope I love the ripley

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It might not be for him.

This steeper = automatically better, for everyone idea needs to die. Soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    My saddle position is non negotiable. Jacking your saddle forward does not work for everyone.

mtbr member

Steep STA and Saddle Setback

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    It might not be for him.

^ This.

I already had my saddles all the way back before the steep STA revolution. Now shopping a setback head for my 9 Point 8. I'd much rather have to sit on the nose of the saddle for 50 pedal strokes per ride and have the remaining 4,950 strokes be comfortable, as compared to the reverse.
    Last edited by ReXTless; 06-01-2019 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    OP, don't listen to the lemmings, make your own decision of what works for your style and knees. All these people who like these steep STAs, also I think only suffer the climbs to go down, doesn't matter how long it takes, just stick it in the 50t cog and a 28t ring and putz on up. They don't like pedaling on rolling or flat terrain or putting power down while they climb, it's just about the downs

As said OP, 9point8 offer either a normal or setback head, can buy both if you like and try to see which you prefer. I've been on one with a setback head now for 3 years, love it, could not ride the bikes I own without it and they are not even remotely steep STA compared to some of the shite that companies are releasing now. FYI the 9point8 will give you more setback than a Thomson setback would, if that helps any.

It might not be for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    ^ This.

I already ran my saddles all the way back before the steep STA revolution. Now shopping a setback head for my 9 Point 8. I'd much rather have to sit on the nose of the saddle for 50 pedal strokes per ride and have the remaining 4,950 strokes be comfortable, as compared to the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

WTF is downcountry?
    This sh!t is no different than the short stem and short stays craze. In 5 years it will revert to slacker seattubes and steeper HA's and the latest and greatest crowd will sing it's praises. I thought everyone had their saddle jammed forward with the new style geo cause the front centers were so loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

My current bike has a steeper seattube and slacker HA than any other trail bike I've bought and I like it! I also moved the saddle back farther than usual to replicate my pedaling position like the OP and I sized down and run an 80 stem, still works great imagine that

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I might be wrong but that has been working for me the last 5 years with many different bikes.
    My optimal saddle height is 30.25 in and with just about every bike 30 to 30.5 works great. Do you have knee pain? Upper body pain?
    So with any new bike i use my magic #, it was established by a pro, i paid for real fit.
    - B usually i set my saddle all the way to the front, due to my crazy long legs all frames are too long for me. But you can
    A- use the eight that worked for you before.
    B- move your saddle a little at a time than ride 2 hrs, when you are pain free that is your sweet spot.
    C- set your cockpit to your liking.
    No need to listen to generalities nor a la mode stuff.
    Your body knows.
    My bars are 620, that works for me, that s it
    I often reverse my seat post so i never have a setback.
    I like to climb and all my bikes are set for it, saddle, granny gear.
    If you are not sure how to mesure the height look on you tube.

mtbr member
    Hilarious how many threads there are on this topic.

Super slack HTA requires moving the rider weight forward, otherwise the front end will be too light, hence the steeper STA. But this means that your position relative to the BB is farther forward.

An argument I’ve heard is that it’s better for terrain where you’re either climbing (saddle in a better position for that) or descending (doesn’t matter where the saddle is b/c you’re standing up).

So if you’re more geared towards downhill/enduro, than you like slacker HTA and steeper STA.

But you definitely shouldn’t be moving your saddle back using an offset post. You shouldn’t buy a bike with a steep STA in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    But you definitely shouldn’t be moving your saddle back using an offset post. You shouldn’t buy a bike with a steep STA in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I disagree with this. Everyone has different body geometry and needs based on local trails vary wildly. There is nothing wrong with buying a bike like the new Ripley and installing a offset post if that's what works for you. Size down, offset post, and voila, a bike that fits. Offset posts do look naff though . Personally, I feel that STA's are finally arriving where I need them, regardless of the trail.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I'd argue if you can run a set back seat post on a bike with progressive geo then your bike is probably (not definitely) too small. I'd recommend trying to run it as designed first with your seat high enough for a few weeks at least then if you still want a set back post go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you need setback to sit comfortably then your bike is too short, you should get a larger frame. BBs & knees are just BS. People should not spend any time on made up bikefit science and climate skepticism (yes global warming is happening). Put the seat so you sit comfortably. Good luck with your new bike.

mtbr member
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 395
Size:  41.6 KB

I'd argue if you can run a set back seat post on a bike with progressive geo then your bike is probably (not definitely) too small. I'd recommend trying to run it as designed first with your seat high enough for a few weeks at least then if you still want a set back post go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    If you need setback to sit comfortably then your bike is too short, you should get a larger frame. BBs & knees are just BS. People should not spend any time on made up bikefit science and climate skepticism (yes global warming is happening). Put the seat so you sit comfortably. Good luck with your new bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Yes it does, or all of the lemmings will have gone over. Soon.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Wow, you guys are sensitive, both knees and ego. OP, asked a question and you guys have to turn into your personal petty thing. Grow up.

mtbr member
    Just waiting for Hitler to be mentioned.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Formerly of Kent
    Wow, you guys are sensitive, both knees and ego. OP, asked a question and you guys have to turn into your personal petty thing. Grow up.
    Some of us like to not suck at going up hill.

You may not. That’s fine.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I use a 1" setback dropper to tame the steep STAs on two of my bikes. I am not trying to match an old geo so much as trying to find a comfortable/efficient pedalling position for all my riding.

If you just jam a saddle as far back on the rails as it can go you will bend then snap rails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It might not be for him.

Yes. I also hoping we get a few more high end dropper options with setback heads.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The OP should ride the bike and fiddle with set up, slide the seat back, try a longer stem, run a higher bar position. A steeper STA is not a bad thing, it’s just new to folks who haven’t bought a bike in the past couple years.

So much drama, what fun eh?

Oh,Travis: Hitler 😘
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Still hopeful this will spin out of control to that point.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thread seems to have calmed--I guess we have to go back to the Yeti threads to enjoy poor behavior.

In the meantime I will ride the new ripley as my first ride on a steep seat tube---hoping to love this thing

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have two bikes both with about 475mm reach and 40mm stems.
    One is 73.5 STA, one is 76. At 750mm bottom bracket to seat distance, this is about 32mm of lateral change.

The seat on the 73.5 bike is slammed forward, the seat on the 76 bike is slammed rearward. At 5'11" with my body proportions I guess you could guess maybe a 75 degree STA would result in a centered saddle.

For sure an STA of more than 76 would not work for me without more reach, more stem, or a setback saddle. I don't want more reach or more stem for the type of riding I do. In fact the 76 STA bike has about an 840mm front center, and I'm not really a fan. The 73.5 bike's front center is more like 790mm and is much more manageable and plenty stable.

orthonormal
    I made a pretty big switch about 6 months ago.

Old bike: ETT 610mm, Reach 420mm, STA 73, HTA 67, WB 1130mm.
    New bike: ETT 635mm, Reach 475mm, STA 76, HTA 66, WB 1230mm.

I went from a 65mm stem on the old bike to 40mm on the new. With spacers, I was able to duplicate my saddle to handlebar relationship, although my hips are obviously more forward relative to my feet. It works for me. I'm able to power climbs just as well as I could on my old bike but I get a lot less sore in the hips/lower back from long rides. I have limited range of motion in my hip hinge without rounding my lower back and the more forward position helps me avoid this.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Kenny good info-----I am 768 height so about 3/4 higher --current Pivot Mach 429 is 72.8 STA and reach of 423 and using a 60MM stem----seat is pushed back all the way. Will post ripley observations later this week

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Next week I am doing a factory demo of a large ripley and we will see after a good long ride what I think----parking lot ride showed the top tube was short---measured and a full 3/4 inch shorter than current bike.
    On paper the Ripley's top tube is 2mm longer, but you may be right (429T's ETT > Ripley's) since I think Pivot fudged their STA (I found it to be 72* not 72.8* at stack height). I also found the WB to be 1/2" longer.

Kenny good info-----I am 768 height so about 3/4 higher --current Pivot Mach 429 is 72.8 STA and reach of 423 and using a 60MM stem----seat is pushed back all the way.
    Saddle pushed fully rearward on a 429T? Your next bike is going to be VERY different.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    As an aside, it looks like 9Point8 has redesigned the Fall Line R's head to a more traditional 2-Bolt radiused head. I'd be cool if we could use that head on other dropper posts.

It'd certainly be worth someone's time to design an offset head for OneUp's V2 dropper.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thread seems to have calmed--I guess we have to go back to the Yeti threads to enjoy poor behavior.

In the meantime I will ride the new ripley as my first ride on a steep seat tube---hoping to love this thing
    Revive this thread in six to eight months and you'll get some action ...
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Revive this thread in six to eight months and you'll get some action ...
    I hope to start a new thread: Cool bars
    I am just waiting for them to make risers from 50 to 80 mm.
    It is geo for the old riders but easier to sell with a kool name