Steep Head Angle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Steep Head Angle

Hi everyone!
    Currently I'm out of action due to a pesky knee issue, but I hope to get back in action...um...someday...
    Anyhow, when I do, I'm thinking about jumping on the wagon and trying out a 29r.
    I know that manufactors need to steepen the head angle in order to make them more nimble, so my question is: does that make them unstable on fast descents?
    I used to own an Epic w/ a 72 degree angle that demanded more skills than I possesed!
    Thank in advance!

mtbr member

I have several 29ers...

all with 72 degree head angles. None are sketchy or unstable flying downhill and at 250 I do "fly" down hill. Of course, more than just the head angle must be considered when talking about handling.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Currently I'm out of action due to a pesky knee issue, but I hope to get back in action...um...someday...
    Anyhow, when I do, I'm thinking about jumping on the wagon and trying out a 29r.
    I know that manufactors need to steepen the head angle in order to make them more nimble, so my question is: does that make them unstable on fast descents?
    I used to own an Epic w/ a 72 degree angle that demanded more skills than I possesed!
    Thank in advance!
    The trail figure gets changed as a result of the steeper head angle. It actually helps a bit on most 29ers to avoid the flip-floppy steering feeling at low speed, although there are now quite a few 29ers with slacker HAs that handle very well.

I have a 72* HA on my MCR9 and it is perfectly stable at high speed while remaining nimble in turns and on technical sections.
    You have nothing to fear. Most mfrs. have worked out some good 29er geometry.

-F