Steel Softails ??- Mtbr.com
    U sayin' Bolt ?

Steel Softails ??

Hi
    I am currently riding the heck out of a new old-stock 2003 gunnar rockhound frame I picked up off ebay, and built up with some 'bang for buck' parts (slx crank, m485 brakes, xt/sun singletrack wheels) Loving it !

I want to get my hands on a soft-tail 29er frame. I am entranced by the moots ybb 29er, but the price is high and I am wondering if y'all could offer some options ?? I'd like to roll steel, geared and I'd be slapping a suspension fork on it

Salsa dos niner only comes in aluminum ?
    I know Curtlo can do a custom 29er soft-tail, is that my best option?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Siren bikes.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso
    I know Curtlo can do a custom 29er soft-tail, is that my best option?
    I'm happy with mine...and you'll spend a lot more money for anything else. But plan ahead, as you'll have a long wait. I would order now if you want something to ride next summer.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    I'm happy with mine...and you'll spend a lot more money for anything else. But plan ahead, as you'll have a long wait. I would order now if you want something to ride next summer.
    Nice
    Found your thread, way to go on that whip, what do you think of the manitou ?
    Btw looks like we both ride in norcal
    Last edited by knutso; 08-15-2010 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    check out Curtlo for sure. He does great work. Something else to think about. How bad do you want the Moots? They come up used on flee-bay quite often and sell for $1,700-ish. If were to order the Curtlo, the very long wait will give you plenty of time to save up the extra bucks and get a used Moots.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Yeah good point ..
    Do you think Curtlo could do a shortish chainstay on a softail ?
    17.6" on the moots ybb 29 seems a bit long to me

mtbr member
    Check with Brendan at Siren bikes. He may be able to build you a Song in steel...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin
    Siren bikes.
    Ah shoot, as thefuzz points out, Siren only makes a softy in AL. I've been drooling over Siren's John Henry so much I began to think all Brendan's bikes were steel.

mtbr member
    Still worth asking if one could be done in steel....

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso
    Nice
    Found your thread, way to go on that whip, what do you think of the manitou ?
    Btw looks like we both ride in norcal
    The Manitou has always treated me right, especially with the Absolute+ damper. No creaks, clunks, tire clearance problems, or broken knobs.

I'm sure Curtlo can do shorter chainstays...I specifically asked for ~18". But he has the same constraints as any frame, which are that you'll have front derailleur clearance problems if you go too short. I'm not sure if he does bent seat tubes or not.

mtbr member
    Last year I conversed with Walt "Waltworks" about a steel softail and he said he could do one for me. I never acted on it though but kinda wish that I had.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Good stuff, sent [email protected] an email describing what I am looking for. If he is down, I guess the long wait will give me time to watch for 100mm TA fork deals on ebay and catch CRC's end of the year sale. If Curtlo is a no go I am watchin ebay for a moots, hitting up Siren ( whose bikes look sick ), waltworks and maybe even trying that bystickel fella

Thinking about specing whatever frame I get with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse's house rims and rear hub, hopefully getting this bike done for $2300-$2500

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Last year I conversed with Walt "Waltworks" about a steel softail and he said he could do one for me. I never acted on it though but kinda wish that I had.
    Back when I got mine, Walt was anti-softail and had basically said he wouldn't make them. Apparently that's changed...Walt's a good guy and I'm sure he'll make a solid frame.

Knutso: don't expect responses to your emails. If you're serious, mail Doug a filled-out fit sheet and he'll get right back to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0