Which Steel Rigid SS to buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Which Steel Rigid SS to buy?

Hi all,
    After a steel rigid SS hardtail, which can also be geared as a 1x9. Kona Unit and Redline Monocog Flight are the 2 I'm looking at, but there must be a couple of others I've missed. I'm located in Australia, so availibility might be an issue.
    Bring on the suggestions and let me see if I can source them over here.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    An Inbred from on one (www.on-one.co.uk) could fit the bill, and sure they would ship to Australia.

Did I catch a niner+?

Avanti Kiss 29
    https://www.avantibikes.com/single-s...9.aspx?bid=359
    I hear these are popular in your neck of the woods, I think it is missing the option for 1x9 though.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Avanti Kiss is a good bike, but hasn't got the option of 1x9. I still like to enter some events which have heaps of climbing, so the option of 1x9 appeals to me as I have the parts sitting in the shed already.

mtbr member
    The Monocog Flight is an excellent bike. I've had quite a few higher end HT 29ers and I always find myself going back to the Flight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    The Monocog Flight is an excellent bike. I've had quite a few higher end HT 29ers and I always find myself going back to the Flight.
    Second that opinion. I have a monocog and it handles better than any of my other bikes and they are pretty easy to get in Australia and also pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Singular Swift, comes with EBB, can be run both SS and geared. Handles perfectly & loads of fun.

One Gear
    The Salsa El Mariachi can go both ways thanks to the alternator rear drop out.

Good luck

Expert Crasher
    Another bike that comes to mind is the Karate Monkey. Lots of good recommendations here though. I have a Monocog Flight as well as my KM - can't go wrong with either one. My wife has a Salsa El Mariachi.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would love a SIR 9 equivalent with sliders instead of the EBB for a similar price. Frames close to the SIR 9 weight and quality all seem more expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I second the Karate Monkey. Best bike I have ever owned. And one of the cheaper ones too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm in the same boat. If would love to get my hands on a Gunnar Ruffian, but they are $pendy. Kona Unit seems like a good cheaper alternative. I would like to avoid the EBB's.

WNC Native
    Take a look at the 2011 Kona Unit
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Short-Change-Hero
    Second the On-One Inbred 29er. They will be coming out with a swap-out version in the spring which will give you the ability between gears and single. I just got my frame and love it, now just to wait for wheels to start riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Vassago jabberwocky is another option

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It gives me a few more options. I'll look into the brands and see what availibility is like.
    Cheers.

Witty McWitterson
    I've just sent a Swift down there, so that's certainly not out of the question.
    Just a regular guy.

Single Speeder
    i had a jabber and am now on a gryphon - EBB hasnt been a big deal like I thought - both bikes were great, jabber sold in a flash used - welds seem better on the gryphon not sure if that carries over to the swift but imagine it does - both have good non-twitchy geo - that canfield bike seems really interesting too - so many great choices - happy hunting!

mtbr member
    After riding the Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy and If I were in the market for a steel 29er that could go both SS and geared, I'd go with the Nimble 9.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    You might want to check if the lastest model Avanti KISS has replaceable dropouts, I have a 2008 model which has replaceble drop outs, so I run 1x9 whenever I feel the need for gears!
    That's crazy talk!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by caldy
    You might want to check if the lastest model Avanti KISS has replaceable dropouts, I have a 2008 model which has replaceble drop outs, so I run 1x9 whenever I feel the need for gears!
    Does the 2008 frame have cable stops, or do you just run a full length cable? I'm trying to get some info on the current model, but with the holidays, not many places are open. Avanti's are easily obtainable here and at good pricing too, so it is a real option. I hear Kona Unit's are in short supply, so it may be hard to get one in my size.

mtbr member
    The Haro Mary can also run 1x9 by swapping in a derailleur hanger. I run mine 1x9 now and really dig it.

I run full-length housing, and just zip-tied the RD cable along the brake routing. I had to add two stick-on cable mounts on the drive side seat stay, but they're hardly noticeable.

This model is a couple years old, but the new ones still have the same capability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nath8
    Does the 2008 frame have cable stops, or do you just run a full length cable? I'm trying to get some info on the current model, but with the holidays, not many places are open. Avanti's are easily obtainable here and at good pricing too, so it is a real option. I hear Kona Unit's are in short supply, so it may be hard to get one in my size.
    The 2008 doesn't have cable stops, I run full length cable zip tied. I can swap between singlespeed and 1x9 easily.
    That's crazy talk!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Singulars very shortly available in Australia through Larry's Custom Cycles in Melbourne.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    @ Singular

I am in the Uk & looking at buying a swift befre the summer. Im in North Wales, can you tell me if there are any dealers near me? Sideways cycles in Stoke dont tell you much on their website. I would like to throw my leg over a built bike to get a feel for size.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    Singulars very shortly available in Australia through Larry's Custom Cycles in Melbourne.
    Just had a look at the web page. Apparently the frames will be here in a couple of days. Any idea of pricing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    The Haro Mary can also run 1x9 by swapping in a derailleur hanger. I run mine 1x9 now and really dig it.

I run full-length housing, and just zip-tied the RD cable along the brake routing. I had to add two stick-on cable mounts on the drive side seat stay, but they're hardly noticeable.

This model is a couple years old, but the new ones still have the same capability.

Love the Big Apples! I also second the Mary, could probably find one on the cheap used now. Fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just sold my road bike last night and ordered my 2011 Kona Unit today. LBS said it should arrive in 2 weeks.

The 22" frame has a 25.5" top tube length and 6.3" head tube length.

The Kona Unit should be a good stable mate with my 24" Fargo.
    Last edited by timberline12k; 01-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    why not the Jones steel diamond frame and fork?

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Now that they've finally stopped them from breaking the monocog flights are sweet. 2011 Unites are supposed to be pretty nice too with the redesigned fork. My roommate has a 2010 and it is one of the better values out there IMO. The slider system works well.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thumbs up to the KM.Loads of adjustability,ss,geared,cyclocross,fully rigid.Pick any and all good fun.Most fun ive had with a bike at a very reasonable price. My high end bikes hardly get an outing these days.

Members who have read this thread: 0