Steel Jones - feedback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Steel Jones - feedback

Intrigued by the steel Jones frame/fork. I know it's not cheap, but the geometry appeals. However, there don't seem to be any/many reviews out there. I've searched on here but not turned up much.

So, for those that own one or have ridden one, what do you think? Has anyone had a steel frame made by somebody else with similar geometry with any success?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    no feedback here, but is jones even offering the steel frameset with merlin bowing out of the picture? just curious.

i likes those steel frames with the ti truss forks (that black one on his blog is the shizzle)....probably would have ordered one too if it weren't for the ebb (i prefer sliders).....
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member

New question here. He makes cool stuff, but wtf on the prices ?

He makes cool stuff, but wtf on the prices ? I know ti ain't cheap (had a merlin, why did I sell that again?) but his prices are insane!
    my 5 year old son took my photo, not a bad shot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfn3
    He makes cool stuff, but wtf on the prices ? I know ti ain't cheap (had a merlin, why did I sell that again?) but his prices are insane!
    +1

No matter how much money you got, Jones doesn't make sense.

aka baycat
    $2,450, if the price is still correct, is way overpriced for a custom steel frame in my opinion. Could get a nice custom built steel frame from a hand full of other builders and still have coin left over for some parts.

mtbr member
    There are many qualified builders that will curve steel for you and do an identical frame for $1,500...

DG5
    mtbr member
    +1 on the pricing. He is soo far out of line compared to ANY other custom steel frame. I don't get it.
    I love my bike.

mtbr member
    I don't get the pricing either, but as long as he has a wait list, more power to him.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    At the end of the day if his prices are high it's because people are paying it... we only have ourselves to blame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    +1 on the pricing. He is soo far out of line compared to ANY other custom steel frame. I don't get it.
    The unjustified reason is that the designer (Jones), outsources production to Merlin, so you need to feed him, his family, and the builder and his family. To your advantage as a customer, with other builders you don't have that situation.

By the way, that's the reason the price of his Ti frames is outrageous; you pay him and then some to Merlin. Better go Blacksheep if you like curves.
    Last edited by Climber999; 02-01-2010 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I don't get the pricing either, but as long as he has a wait list, more power to him.
    He can always count there will always be another fool out there....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the comments on pricing guys - as I said, I know it's $$$$$$. I'm more concerned with experience of the geometry. Anyway, to get back on track, has anyone actually ridden a steel Jones or had something similar made??

"Its All Good"
    If the main focus is the price of a Jones, then a Jones is not for you.....

And dont mean that arrogantly at all, when you boil it down, it is pretty much the facts....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can we pleeease stop talking about the price - that wasn't the reason for posting this thread!!!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Can we pleeease stop talking about the price - that wasn't the reason for posting this thread!!!
    Very good call, hence my post...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

just go with

fred.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice! So how does it ride? What's the geometry etc?

Birthday Collector
    Actually - if you look at the price of the Blacksheep Eon - the bike most like the Jones Ti Spaceframe - the pricing is $6700 for basically the same assemblies that you get from Jones for $6500. The Stellar, with a truss fork and sliding drops is a $4,000 frameset. Personally, I think I would oscillate between the two of them - both gorgeous bikes - but something about the Jones spaceframe would have me choose it over the Eon, though the Stellar is a much more appealing buy than the Jones steel frame and truss fork for me - a few hundred more than the Jones steel, for Ti. I somehow doubt it will be any time soon that I would be in the position of making any of these choices though! If there is Ti in my future this year, it would likely be a Nelson or a Quiring - both being great choices, IMO.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

hispanic mechanic
    @lukeduke- I was thinking the same thing.
    @Clink- Search for "Wolfhound" on this forum. Fred's geometry is very similar to the Jones geo, and some people who have ridden both have noted the similarities.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for info on Wolfhound - price looks the same as a steel Jones though! (not that we are mentioning $$$$, or in my case !)

AJT
    I like bicycles
    +1 for Fred @ Wolfhound i'm on his list, like the curves and the steel i think the price is ok,
    I read a pie ce on him and he said "i like to sketch each bike before the build begins as then they have a soul" Yes i know i'm a hippy

recognize the slowness

++++1

Quote Originally Posted by lukeduke
    fred.
    few too many pluses sorry...

I have seen one of Fred's frames close up and it was really nice. Very similar in Geo to Jones bikes and save a few quid!!

MHO
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

mtbr member
    Sorry...I've never ridden a steel Jones but I was very close to buying one....love my Wolfhound though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel Jones - feedback-wolfhound2.jpg  

Steel Jones - feedback-wolfhound3.jpg  

"Its All Good"
    A Wolfhound is almost a Jones made by Fred................................

JustRide44
    Clink- You're saying you want a Jones because of the geometry. Custom = any geometry you want (within reason) from the bendy guys. If you want a Jones just to have a Jones, thats cool- But if you just want a solid steel frame from a reputable builder there are many out there... My personal vote would be Blacksheep. Also, what is your reasoning for steel instead of Ti?

What about retrotec? DeSalvo? I realize money is not the major issue, but imagine what you could do with the leftover (like, buy another bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel Jones - feedback-retrotec.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I admire Jones for pushing the unsuspended thing, and the technical riding, and I'm glad that he does the work that he does. That said, his prices are insane.

mtbr member
    Clink...I asked the same question about the steel Jones before I bought the Wolfhound and it seems like no one owns one....very strange.

JustRide44
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007
    Clink...I asked the same question about the steel Jones before I bought the Wolfhound and it seems like no one owns one....very strange.
    Do you know anyone who drives a ferrari with a chevy engine? I mean steel is great & all but if a builder is known for his Ti, go with that- Otherwise go with a builder that specializes in steel (i.e Walt or Wolfhound or Engin, etc...) and for gods sake, pay steel pricing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well I've got a steel Jones but not ridden it yet!
    Frame here:

Building wheels and accumulating bits for the final builld.
    It'll be a Rohloff hub and I had rohloff cable guides added to the basic frame by Jeff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel Jones - feedback-img_9194.jpg  

In FTF We Trust
    This friggin place... Anytime someone asks a very particular question about something it turns into a sh!tshow of people complaining about how stupid that particular thing is and how the OP should buy what they have or want. Clink, I'm sorry, I'm just adding to the background noise at this point but that's been wearing on me lately. Time to go to the Passion board for a while.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pacerider
    That's sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you think the Jones has what you're looking for......buy a Jones.
    They ride great, have a certain combination of attributes that no other bike has, and the design and geometry of them has been refined and developed through riding. You won't look back, won't have any regrets. Commit to the bike and it will never let you down.
    I love mine, and have a blast riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    And you're in the UK too!!
    Whatmade you go for the Jones?

mtbr member
    Ya ever think he might be pricing the steel stuff high so nobody actually orders one and instead they focus on the Ti goods?
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Ya ever think he might be pricing the steel stuff high so nobody actually orders one and instead they focus on the Ti goods?
    "hey, i don't really want to work on steel, but if someone wants to pay me $x, then i guess i will."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Clink
    Well I'm just greedy - I already have a ti spaceframe 69er and just wanted another Jones. Couldn't really stretch to another ti one though.
    Personally I've been sold on my spaceframe for the last four years, it rides sweet both as a front suspension 26er and a rigid 69er and Jeff's a great guy to do business with.

If you want to see it in the flesh and have a ride make contact. I'll let you know when it's complete!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    This friggin place... Anytime someone asks a very particular question about something it turns into a sh!tshow of people complaining about how stupid that particular thing is and how the OP should buy what they have or want. Clink, I'm sorry, I'm just adding to the background noise at this point but that's been wearing on me lately. Time to go to the Passion board for a while.
    exactly...bunch of whiny b!tches who don't get the point. In summary, if you want a Jones buy a Jones, steel or otherwise. If you want a Jones and money is an issue I guess the algorithm is to cry like a schoolgirl about how much it costs and get something else that is not a Jones, but still fine...unless of course its a Jones you really want in which case you are retarded to then not get the Jones

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I nearly got a steel Jones - but went for a Spaceframe in the end - just had to wait longer for it!

pacerider - are you going for a fat front tyre??

mtbr member
    Clink,
    when you ask for opinion on a specific builder and his product, ask of people who actually use the product, or have a talk with the builder himself. Before i ordered my bike from Jeff, i spoke with Paduano (Italian Ti builder), Carl Strong, James of BS, and some others. Some things you can gather just by talking to the builder. I really appreciated the talk i had with Carl Strong. I wanted something he was not working with, and i eventually ended up taking a much closer look at the Jones Spaceframe.
    The fact that my frame was welded by Merlin, did not bother me at all, Merlin being a top quality Ti product, and Jeff being a perfectionist, the result is outstanding. In talking to Jeff, you can get a vast amounts of info, and its not any info to get you to purchase. Jeff is not a sales person. All of above is applicable as much to the steel frame.

flamers such as climber999 only whine, especially about things they know little about

mtbr member
    @mbkot,

Jeff's result is so "outstanding" that for $5,400 you get an EBB to tension your chain...Sheesh...real, real, thoughtful...(or cheap, if you consider Paragon Sliders cost $200..)

Nothing like a fool that fools himself...

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    @mbkot,

Jeff's result is so "outstanding" that for $5,400 you get an EBB to tension your chain...Sheesh...real, real, thoughtful...(or cheap, if you consider Paragon Sliders cost $200..)

Nothing like a fool that fools himself...
    I don't have trouble with my EBB...I like how I can change the position of my cranks for different types of riding...longer or shorter chainstay...higher or lower BB...

Just put the 4mm wrench to it to make sure it's snug before each ride and I'm good to go. Take it out and grease it once a year and it always performs as it should.

Climber999...you present yourself poorly on the Mtbr forums. Go lick your chode.
    Grow some food for yourself.

oh crap...

p.s.

Clink - I have ridden a steel jones with a fat front around jeff's house for a few minutes. The geometry is the same as my spaceframe, even with the fat front. If it's want you want, go for it...this thread is so old now...maybe you already did!

mtbr member
    @Farm,

I am truly delight to know you enjoy modifying your pedaling position upon whim. Must be great never to dial in an optimal riding setup...

Here is a link of a Jones' Spacewhatever frame owner. The gent discusses how he treats his EBB. He also shares the permeant damage he sustained from neglecting it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=15

As I said before, nothing like a fool that fools himself...

oh crap...
    @Climber...yo...that's the two-fold beauty of the EBB, I CAN dial in optimal riding setup dependent upon terrain and length of ride. 100 miles of gravel dictates a different setup than 20 miles of single-track.

Sliders are an awesome addition to any frame as well. Different strokes for different folks. Stop hating so much on people's preferences and recognize!

Birthday Collector
    Clink, about 18 months or so ago, Jeff brought a bunch of bikes to our area and we did a 3+ hour demo ride, swapping models, etc... I started off on a steel-framed diamond with a fat fork and Endomorph. I actually really thought it felt good, and we did about 3 - 4 miles on the road to get to the trailhead. Big tire rolled well and I liked the riding position - esp for SS. Handles well and I lked the weight over the rear tire. The only thing I didn't particularly like was the SS with 165mm cranks - I was WORKING getting up the hill with a slightly lower gear than what I rode at the time (33x20 for me, 32x20 on the demo bike...). When I realized the cranks were 10mm shorter I went "DOH!!!" and just figured that my hefty a$$ likes and maybe needs longer cranks. That said, the Ti Spaceframes felt really good, and someday, if the money is there, I'd like to get one. Yes - his prices are pretty insane, but for the Spaceframe I'd pay it. For steel, I'd probably go with the Wolfhound, as the geo is similar and the fillet-brazed bike looks so pretty.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Get a Phil Wood EBB and your problems are solved.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cheers for the responses all. Money is now spent elsewhere, but I still fancy a steel Jones someday...

Members who have read this thread: 0