Steel Hardtail Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Steel Hardtail Bikes

I might be blinded, metal filings in the eye or something, but there seems to be a growing popularity in steel bikes. I have a steel FS as can be seen in the sister thread "Steel Full Suspension Bikes", and it is interesting to see some of these same star manufacturers have steel hardtails as well. Plenty of Moxies, Cotic, Vertigo etc.

During Isolation, sat in front of a computer screen it wasn't long before I weakened. Just one click, the boredom and the elation of one click. Its history now, click, and I obtained a steel Iso frame. Something to work off those Iso pounds I put on. Here's my Steel Hardtail.

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-1.jpg

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-2.jpg

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-4.jpg

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-5.jpg

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-7.jpg

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-6c.jpg

mtbr member
    It’s gorgeous. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sweet bike. I love my steel ht. Built up a bike around a 2011 Raleigh XXiX+G frame. It is plenty for my trails although my boredom is drawing me toward a fs bike that I don't really need.

Cycologist
    Wow, really nice! Is the clearcoat a standard option?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I still can't believe On-One has not come out with a replacement for the Inbred.

All my bikes have been steel hardtails. I transitioned from steel 20" BMX bikes to bigger steel BMX bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, that is one of the options. Dark clear over raw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I might be blinded, metal filings in the eye or something, but there seems to be a growing popularity in steel bikes. I have a steel FS as can be seen in the sister thread "Steel Full Suspension Bikes", and it is interesting to see some of these same star manufacturers have steel hardtails as well. Plenty of Moxies, Cotic, Vertigo etc.

During Isolation, sat in front of a computer screen it wasn't long before I weakened. Just one click, the boredom and the elation of one click. Its history now, click, and I obtained a steel Iso frame. Something to work off those Iso pounds I put on. Here's my Steel Hardtail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD 1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	1340739

Name:	HD 2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	1340737

Name:	HD 4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	1340741

Name:	HD 5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	1340743

Name:	HD 7.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	1340745

Name:	HD 6c.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	1340747
    That. Looks. Awesome. Wow! Props on the new rig!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bad a$$. Very nice

poser Administrator
    This is a pretty cool bike. I have not seen this before! The geo is seriously progressive.

Can't wait for a ride review! This is right in the park with the super aggressive chromag frames.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Professional Crastinator
    SahWeet!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    SICK CYCLE Man!!
    (hehe get it?)

poser Administrator
    After seeing this I found this review here:

tl;Dw

Loves the bike, its feel, its competence on trails, even its weight. Didn't particularly like the heavy tires.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

sluice box
    very Mone like
    ptarmigan hardcore

All fat, all the time.
    Yikes, a hardtail is the last thing I need but I like that a lot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323 View Post
    Sweet bike. I love my steel ht. Built up a bike around a 2011 Raleigh XXiX+G frame. It is plenty for my trails although my boredom is drawing me toward a fs bike that I don't really need.
    I'll hijack the thread. I also have a Raleigh XXIX+g. I had a full suspension bike and bought the Raleigh frame to make a sort of touring/gravel bike (just before gravel bikes became a thing). It worked, but it was an ugly bastard of a bike, and I eventually bought a proper touring/gravel bike. The Raleigh frame hung from a hook for about a year, and then I decided to build it back up as a proper hardtail. Now it looks beautiful, all black with red lettering and some white. It definitely doesn't replace the FS bike, but it has its own character, and with a PNW 27.2mm dropper post, it's fun for mixed terrain rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First date with Dave

I had the first outing with Dave and I can say I am impressed with the feel. It's been awhile since I had a hardtail, since then Cush cores and 2.6 tyres have become de rigueur. I am not hardtail fit anymore.

On small stuff, little rocks little ruts, it is really good. Feels suspended by the Cush Cores and fat tires and long steel stays. You feel the terrain, but it’s not jarring.

I was faster along the flats and faster on the ups. Not surprising because it is a HT, but I was surprised how much better. I have fat 2.6s and cush cores and stupid geo. It is very usable on mellow, it has a good breadth of capability which was a nice surprise.

Steel Hardtail Bikes-hd-8.jpg

Going down, this thing really wants to roll away. Reminds you of the first time on a DH bike and how they roll away on you. And oh my, I love the geo. It is a hoon with corners. I can perch myself on the front so aggressively and that HA accepts (fork dives less because of the slack angle) it so well and you just get down to business.

It is really great at ripping corners and man handling it through corners switching direction is so much fun.

I dived down a couple of steeps. What a joy. Steep corner, I usual drag brake. But the steep corner now goes, “Hello Dave, give it to me”. It is so confident, I just let it go. Bloody awesome on steeps.

I had no problems in tights, it climbs very well, jumps and hops all good and pumping terrain good. Looking forward to going out some more.