Steel frames, gussets and rust.- Mtbr.com
    Gold Member

New question here. Steel frames, gussets and rust.

I doubt this is a "structural" issue and that is not my question.
    But I noticed that the gusseting on my steel frame is done on only 3 of 4 sides.
    Is this done for a reason?
    My question is more about rust issues, can I place filler in the 4th edge using like Marine tech or Liquid Steel, then paint to keep water from getting into the cracks and forming rust?

Also, I heard that you can use household oils, (not motoroil) to coat the inside of the frame to help protect against rust?
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    I have had frames like that, and just occasionally spray my rust preventative of choice in the gap.

A thin oil will wick better than a thick oil, which would coat the inside of a frame more thoroughly. I use a spray oil called "Corrosion Block" which, as the name implies, is intended to stop corrosion. It wicks better than most other oils and will spread out to cover any areas that don't get directly sprayed.

Gold Member
    I was given a good hint for the gusset gaps.
    First, sometimes leaving a side un-welded is for a purpose like not pushing stress to a particular point, so welding it or permanently filling it make place undo stress on a part of the frame that was not intended to get more stress.
    It was also suggested to use wax to fill the gaps, it will keep the water a debris out and it remains flexible enough to stay in place.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

Nov 2005
    Clear silicon caulk seals up that area without being too noticeable and dries flexable so the gap can do it's job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    But I noticed that the gusseting on my steel frame is done on only 3 of 4 sides. Is this done for a reason?
    Leaving the rear portion of the gusset unwelded is done to reduce the stress at the end of the gusset. One of the purposes of a gusset is to disappate high-impact stress over a a larger area. Welding the rear of the gusset moves the stress from the weld to the rear of the gusset (so why have a gusset?). Leaving the rear unwelded better disappates the stress along the length of the gusset welds, and avoids the stress at the gussets end. That's the theory anyway.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!

Yep I think Bontrager started or was on of the first to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Leaving the rear portion of the gusset unwelded is done to reduce the stress at the end of the gusset. One of the purposes of a gusset is to disappate high-impact stress over a a larger area. Welding the rear of the gusset moves the stress from the weld to the rear of the gusset (so why have a gusset?). Leaving the rear unwelded better disappates the stress along the length of the gusset welds, and avoids the stress at the gussets end. That's the theory anyway.
    IE the Gusset can turn into a Can-openner of sorts.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

Gold Member
    I was wondering about theory behind the gussets and like I said, I figured all is/was done for a reason.
    I just want to make sure that I protect my frame where possible.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    I doubt this is a "structural" issue and that is not my question.
    But I noticed that the gusseting on my steel frame is done on only 3 of 4 sides.
    Is this done for a reason?
    My question is more about rust issues, can I place filler in the 4th edge using like Marine tech or Liquid Steel, then paint to keep water from getting into the cracks and forming rust?

Also, I heard that you can use household oils, (not motoroil) to coat the inside of the frame to help protect against rust?
    There is specific product made for still frames. It is called Frame Saver, and it comes in a spray can.

Members who have read this thread: 0