Steel frame recommendations- Mtbr.com
    Speedbump

Steel frame recommendations

Specifically, looking for something I can run both SS and 1x9. Suggestions? Looking at the SIR 9, but I'd like to take a look at some others before pulling the trigger...
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

Rider and Wrench
    While there are a few solid choicesI am running a Mariachi and love it- at first I ran it 1X9 and recently converted it to ss- I know there is a complete split on the whole ec bb.... but I have not had too many problems with mine- I keep it fairly clean and have only had slippage once, through no fault of it's own when I failed to tighten it enough... I know some others that have a specific hate for eccentric BB... I like vertical drop-outs (not to say I find fault with sliders/horizontal) easy disc brake fit, qr's etc...

I like the ride/feel and the geo it works very well - not too flexy but very compliant, huge tire clearance and nice attention to detail. For my use it is a great balance, I don't really race but still want a bike that can move out, I also don't need to feel like I was drug behind a truck when I am done-

I also have a buddy with a few and he runs them ss, geared, rigid and with a suspension fork- very versitile bike
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake
    Specifically, looking for something I can run both SS and 1x9. Suggestions? Looking at the SIR 9, but I'd like to take a look at some others before pulling the trigger...
    How about the Jamis Dragon ONE 2010 Mountain Bike?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Singular.
    Great frame w/ a quality ebb, and high attention to detail (i.e. faced and chased, hose/housing clips and seatpost binder included).
    Best rigid fork I've ridden, if that's your bag.

the flerg
    +1 on the Sir9. all these are great bikes. I rode the Dambala for a while too but the 853 of the Niner is a deal maker. Pull that trigger. I'm sure you checked the mtbr reviews on it.. doh!
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The 2009 Dambalas were Reynolds 853 too. If you can wait till April VooDoo has the Soukri, which can accommodate a 120mm fort. This'll replace the Dambala in the lineup.

You've got a lot of choices (and really great suggestions by respondents),so it all comes down to budget. That said, consider going custom or semi-custom as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quiring Q-Ball. Great price, great quality, handmade in the USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quiring Q-Ball. Great price, great quality, handmade in the USA.

Speedbump
    Some great suggestions. Thanks.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

mtbr member
    You might consider a Vassago Jabberwocky/Bandersnatch. I test rode a jabberwocky and absolutley loved the geometry. The bike has a longer wheel base(wet-cat geometry) and after the test ride( ~7 rides) I was convinced this was the frame for me. I did not feel any flexing when climbing up grades, felt very stable coming down steep descents and corners like a bat out of hell. Love it so much I have already ordered a 16" frame from vassago. By the way, the frame is half the price of the SIR 9. Have not had the pleasure of riding a SIR 9 so I can not make any comments.

mtbr member
    2nd on the Bander/Jabber. It probably isn't the best choice for wheelying and hucking, but is climbs, flows, and downhills well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    who can forget aboot the vintage surly karate monkey...been around for long time...still quality is bar none and simplicity is ellaborately simple...get it and love it in a multitude of environments...!!!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    www.osbikes.com
    Nice details, a bit different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was in the same boat a month or two ago and finally decided to give the John Henry by Siren Bicycles a try. The bike is somewhere on a Brown truck headed this way so I can't give a ride report yet, but the ordering process was smooth and the owner, Brendan, was great to work with.

mtbr member
    Soma Fabrications makes the Juice which is made from Tange Prestige tubing and the optional IRD fork is made from Tange Infinity Tubing. I'm really happy with mine. But if it was me and money wasn't an issue I'd go for the niner or even better a made in the USA frame. When I bought mine I was on a tight budget so I went with the Soma and am happy with my decision.

mtbr member

all good

I agree, Niners are nice bikes, but you're only a few hundred dollars away from full custom steel rig. Siren John Henry, Curtlo Mountaineer, hell you can get a custum Ti Carver for a few dollars more.

mtbr member

not to threadjack, but...

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass
    I was in the same boat a month or two ago and finally decided to give the John Henry by Siren Bicycles a try. The bike is somewhere on a Brown truck headed this way so I can't give a ride report yet, but the ordering process was smooth and the owner, Brendan, was great to work with.
    How long did the process of ordering and receiving this frame take? I am close to pulling the trigger, just don't want to wait too long. The standard handbuilt means short production time, right? I wonder if they have a batch of the se already built and ready to ship, or if they build them per order.

Any info?

I need to call Brendan, I know.

mtbr member
    I know Brendan just put together a number of John Henrys so you may be in luck timing wise. Definitely give him a call.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    i bought a redline at the LBS...super cheap and very nice overall, but made in China...forgive me. next time i'll go with a US custom maker like maybe Jay at Stoic: http://www.stoiccycles.com/home.html

he made me a set of custom bars that i'm still riding. easy to work with, good quality work. recommendo.
    the time is right for violent revolution

i heart singletrack
    I'm a big El Mariachi fan... I've been riding 'em since early '07, and currently own both versions of the frame. I'm about to get the new Ti El Mariachi as well, and won't be selling either of my steel frames, if that tells you anything about how much I like them.

The SIR is a nice bike too... Definitely take a ride on both before pulling the trigger on either. They are pretty easy to find, so you should be able to get it done pretty easily.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel frame recommendations-mgselm.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    How long did the process of ordering and receiving this frame take? I am close to pulling the trigger, just don't want to wait too long. The standard handbuilt means short production time, right? I wonder if they have a batch of the se already built and ready to ship, or if they build them per order.

Any info?

I need to call Brendan, I know.
    I procrastinated on commiting to ordering and they had just run out of the size run that I needed. I opted to add custom color to my frame, so that may have delayed me a bit as well. It's been less than a month for me, and if there is a run done then order now and it should ship within a week I would guess.

mtbr member
    All the usual suspects are listed here except I don't think I've seen anyone mention what might be left of the current crop of slot dropout On One Inbred frames.

You might be able to pick one up relatively cheap via www.unrealcycles.com

The other options listed are good too.

Figure out your desired effective top tube length, your desired chainstay and/or wheelbase length and go from there.

Good luck - hard to go wrong these days IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I built up my Siren John Henry in December. It is hands down the nicest frame I have ever ridden. I would definitely give it a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    +1 Vassago Jabberwocky

Speedbump
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    +1 Vassago Jabberwocky

I like the Jabberwocky/Bandersnatch. Great bikes. But, as I understand it each are "single use." In other words, either geared (Bander) or SS (Jabber.) I am hoping to find something that will let me run either SS or 1x9.

Guess I need a Jabbersnatch...
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

mtbr member
    I like the Jabberwocky/Bandersnatch. Great bikes. But, as I understand it each are "single use." In other words, either geared (Bander) or SS (Jabber.) I am hoping to find something that will let me run either SS or 1x9.

Guess I need a Jabbersnatch...
    You can get a deralleur hanger for a Jabber, or you can get an EBB for the Bander.

Apr 2007
    I'm currently building up a Redline Monocog Flight. Sliding dropouts can be used for ss or fully geared set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    09' Fisher Rig. EBB has given zero problems so far.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    You can get a deralleur hanger for a Jabber, or you can get an EBB for the Bander.
    Not really, unless you want to get one of the Eccentrizers($$$) or what ever they are. They don't have a ton of throw, so if you change gears, you also have to change a chain. Not big deal, but still extra work.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Anyone mentioned the On One 29" Inbred ?
    It can be run singlespeed, and geared with deraileur or with an IGH.
    Great bike, little heavy perhaps.
    I've had mine singlespeed, 3x9, 1x9 and now with Alfine.
    A Rohloff should fit without a speedbone, I think, haven't tried that one.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Waltworks. I really like my El Mar, but would like to have Walt build me something custom eventually. When I bought my El Mar, I didn't have a bike to ride or I would have waited for Walt to build one for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Not really, unless you want to get one of the Eccentrizers($$$) or what ever they are. They don't have a ton of throw, so if you change gears, you also have to change a chain. Not big deal, but still extra work.
    http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

Yes it is work to make changes with any EBB, but it is possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    apparently I've been reading too many threads lately. Obviously the Rig isn't steel. I would recommend the Surly Karate Monkey or Vassago. I personally want the Milwaukee Bicycle Co. 29er myself.

Witty McWitterson
    Yeah, that was the other one I was thinking of. Just couldn't remember its name.

Another to consider is the Jamis Dragon One. It comes with a hanger, has track ends, has all stop necessary for geared set ups, and is one helluva ride. I really, really liked my Exile from 2009.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I'm currently building up a Redline Monocog Flight. Sliding dropouts can be used for ss or fully geared set up.
    Is the 2010 Monocog Flight suspension corrected? Can it run a 100mm?

Now broadcasting from CO
    Another vote for the Jabberwocky or the OS Blackbuck. I have a Jabber and my friend has an OS, completely different bikes but both are great. Here is what you will need to make the Jabber a 1x9 bike. It's the second item down the page... good luck with your choice!
    Brought to you by rocks.

Speedbump
    Aha! Instant Jabbersnatch!
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

Members who have read this thread: 0