Steel + cruiser frame + 29" wheels- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Steel + cruiser frame + 29" wheels

Does that combination exist in non-custom, production form? The reason I ask is because I've been smitten by the pics of Spicer-built titanium cruiser 29ers, and wondered if I could sort out a steel equivalent from older cruiser bikes, etc. Are there steel cruiser bikes out there that use 700c wheels? I've only ever found those with either 24" or 26" wheels. And by cruiser frame, I'm interested specifically in this shape:

I'm trying to picture one of these, with big 700c/29" wheels, some knobby tires, On*One Midge bars, big fat ring in the front, a single cog in the back...

Witty McWitterson
    Its not really that shape, but it does echo it with a modern flair. I converted my Kona Humuhumu a few years back and it worked out quite well. The new ones would be even easier since they run w/sliders and disc brakes. All you'd have to do is cut out the stay bridges and you've got a sweet modern 29" cruiser. The coolest part about the Kona cruiser's is that they come with a low 11.5" BB. Putting the big wheels on the bike raises that BB to more than acceptable off roading hieghts.

That, or you could go with a Cook's Bro's Cruiser. They're not too spendy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just a regular guy.

giddy up!

I love that bike...

Man Marty, I can't get enough of that thing!

I wonder if the new ones have the same type of extra room?

Any thoughts?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Witty McWitterson
    I'm willing to bet that they do. It looks to be about the same, except for the slider DO's. It there are stay bridges, they may need to be cut out to fit a full niner tire, but that's an easy operation. I wish I never sold that bike. Traded it for a steamroller that I sold about 4 months after I got it. Hated the 'roller, loved the Humu. Oh well. What I'm wondering is if KONA will let one purchase just a frame of the humuhumuakuapunapauuekkesa? Slap on a Surly disc fork and you're set!
    Just a regular guy.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I'm willing to bet that they do. It looks to be about the same, except for the slider DO's. It there are stay bridges, they may need to be cut out to fit a full niner tire, but that's an easy operation. I wish I never sold that bike. Traded it for a steamroller that I sold about 4 months after I got it. Hated the 'roller, loved the Humu. Oh well. What I'm wondering is if KONA will let one purchase just a frame of the humuhumuakuapunapauuekkesa? Slap on a Surly disc fork and you're set!
    http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...4&parentid=182

It looks like it! 299 for frame only!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Witty McWitterson
    OOh! so who's gonna be the first one to do this? I'm thinking about it pretty hard....
    Just a regular guy.

Recovering couch patato
    Why again is this so much better than just adding a tube to a randon other frame? Steel Oryx 29" frames are sortof available as well, and there's used KM, etc. Nice opportunity for some first welding action that just has to be good the first try.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

passenger/engine

Cutting out stay bridges?

All you'd have to do is cut out the stay bridges and you've got a sweet modern 29" cruiser.
    Martini,

I have often wondered about doing this. I have a frame that would be perfect for this experiment, but I'm afraid that if I do it, it will lead to frame failure at the bottom bracket, followed by a trip to the ER (maybe even in a helicopter).

Convince me it is probably okay to do. BTW, I weigh about 210 with gear on and the bike I'd do the cutting on is a fairly beefy steel trek 930; I think it is double butted in the main tubes and straight in the stay tubes.

Your old Kona is a beaut! Gotta love bold experimentation, pushing the limits to the 29th.
    "Look for your breath; it's always there... Make friends with your breath." Thannisaro Bhikku

Recovering couch patato
    Wouldn't cutting some inverted U braces from thick sheetmetal be something to weld onto the stays not make the frame even stiffer than it originally was?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Witty McWitterson
    Well, I've got you by 20lbs, and the bike is obviously a SS which puts more tourque on the BB area. I didn't have any fears at all about doing this. On top of the cutting, the stays were squished for clearance from the factory. In the time I had the bike, I certainly wasn't easy on it. It went through several Wed. Nite rides with the Mpls mafia(think drunk idiots doing dumb things on bikes, including derbies) and came out on top. Go ahead and do it. DO IT. DO IT.

Oh, and Cloxxki, Spin is looking for a cruiser type bike. Mine is only a suggestion. Besides, its easier to cut out a tube or two that to add one in.
    Just a regular guy.

passenger/engine

Okay, here goes..

Well, I've got you by 20lbs, and the bike is obviously a SS which puts more tourque on the BB area...Go ahead and do it. DO IT. DO IT.
    I will, and I'll report back with pics. Before I do this, I need to take some measurements of a few bona fide 29ers. Measure twice, cut once. Thanks for the encouragement.

Cloxx,

Welding in/on the odd piece of plate is probably a good way to avoid the helicopter ride.
    "Look for your breath; it's always there... Make friends with your breath." Thannisaro Bhikku

tl1
    Bicyclist

Retrotec

Retrotec makes their beautiful frames in a 29"er version.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

The Classic Retrotec is our most popular model. We build this bike in Mountain, 29", Road, and Cyclocross. All models can be built as Singlespeed.

The Classic model appeals to a number of people because of it's "old school" cruiser look. All the bends are exactly the same as the early Retrotecs made over 10 years ago.

The Classic is available in production and custom sizes.

One new twist to the frame is our use of some over-sized tubing (1 1/4" from standard 1 1/8" ) when requested.

https://www.ingliscycles.com/retrotec/classic.html

passenger/engine

It ain't happenin'

Martini,

The frame I had in mind is clearly not the one to try this with. I mounted a WTB Motoraptor on a Mavic cxp21 wheel and crammed it in. The Moto is about as wide as any 29er (any recently/widely available 29" tire), so I used it as a guide for the norm. The Moto is too wide at the chainstays, even if I trim nobs.

So, I think I should sell this beautiful Spicer modded, disc tabbed, EBBified, black powdercoated SS beauty that only fits little wheels. But, so what: it is just stuff, with 26" limitations. I am finding that I am selling off all of 'em.

But, maybe I should look into the Kona?

Inspiration is a cheap trick, sometimes.

Thanks for your insight and experience.

mtbr member

regarding steel cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Does that combination exist in non-custom, production form? The reason I ask is because I've been smitten by the pics of Spicer-built titanium cruiser 29ers, and wondered if I could sort out a steel equivalent from older cruiser bikes, etc. Are there steel cruiser bikes out there that use 700c wheels? I've only ever found those with either 24" or 26" wheels. And by cruiser frame, I'm interested specifically in this shape:

I'm trying to picture one of these, with big 700c/29" wheels, some knobby tires, On*One Midge bars, big fat ring in the front, a single cog in the back...
    I talked to Walt about this some months ago and he seemed to think it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to make the curve of the downtube in steel. I looked at the steel retrotec and I think that if I was going to spend the money I would rather have the Spicer ti mountain cruiser. Is it something someone could make in AL for around $599?
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

Witty McWitterson
    bummer man. At least you were smart enough to try before you cut. I don't think I wouldn've been. I was kinda rash with the Kona project....and it worked. Got lucky there.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Idea!

I wonder how an old "middleweight" like a Schwinn Corvette would work for a project like this?...
    http://www.bikeicons.com/1960%20Schw...te%20Boys.html
    Basically the same as a 26" balloner with the rear fender brace/brake mount in a different position. Some cyclocross forks will take a 2.1 tire. A BMX bottom bracket or an adapter for modern cartridge type BB and you would have it.

get down!
    no offense to anyone that has one, but those Spicers look sooo ugly to me. that bend in the downtube is disgusting

go with a retrotec if you decide to get one

ti is overrated
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed

ti is overrated
    Hmmm.....my two ti frames ride better than anything else I've ever owned...

Might be overrated for a funky cruiser but not for a mountain bike.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com