STAN'S is it Worth IT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

STAN'S is it Worth IT

Hello, I am looking at this forum for advice. Is going with the STAN'S no tube really worth doing? I stopped in a local bike shop that was selling the product and was sort of talk out of buying the stuff. I had thought it was the way to go but now I'm not sure. Lets hear about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

depends

It really depends on what rim/tire combo you plan on using and what you are trying to achieve...weight, low pressures, thorn resistance, etc. My favorite wheelset of all time was my stans rim/wire nano combo.It was super light, fast, and I ran as low as 18psi without trouble. Do some research on what works and what doesn't. Generally, wtb and bonty kevlar beads are NO good for stans. Many rims are not good either. Remember, none of this stuff (except for stans rims) were DESIGNED to be run tubeless. You do so at your own risk, and sometimes it is a risk.

Witty McWitterson
    Unless you're going for thorn resistance and using Stans rim, stay away. Stay far far away. Do some searches here on the forum, there are lots of positive's and possibly more negatives
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Stans chows...

...burro schlong. Not necessarily a scientific description - but indeed it does.

Figured I'd put this out there before pro-Stans pundits arrived en masse.

See also www.yestubes.com (if still active).

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Only dead people are old

Yes/No

Quote Originally Posted by cottonball
    Hello, I am looking at this forum for advice. Is going with the STAN'S no tube really worth doing? I stopped in a local bike shop that was selling the product and was sort of talk out of buying the stuff. I had thought it was the way to go but now I'm not sure. Lets hear about it.
    I agree with the above "depends" (and that's not the adult diaper being referred to). Stan's is a superior product in areas with a gazzillion goat-head thorns. But (and this is one big butt) it depends on your choice of tire/rim combination. I have had great success running Bontrager rims and IRC tires with Stan's (no flats in 2 years). I also have succeeded with Velocity Aerohead rims (narrow) and IRC tires. Due to comments on this forum I run other tire combinations (WTB and Bontrager) with tubes and I have flats from thorns on about every other ride at least (if not 2-3 in a single ride). I do know someone who has had recent success running the Bontrager tires on Bontrager rims with a Stan's kit but again I would not recommend this. In the end if you need constant flat protection and want to use a limited tire/rim combo then Stan's is cool, otherwise just run tubes.