Stan's is driving me nuts.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stan's is driving me nuts.

It really is... I have flows and rampages.. but I don't think it matters as I have done ghetto on different wheels.. same crazy stuff.

Front wheel seemingly fine for a few weeks, then flat for no reason--what is weird is even the day after a ride it is still aired up then all of the sudden flat when I grab it to go for a ride.

Rear wheel seems to hate stans.. or at least the valve, will either not seal or will seal then during a ride will let go.. has happened 4 times now.. fed up.

Feel better for ranting....

mtbr member

Flows and Arches

[QUOTE=Leethal]It really is... I have flows and rampages.. but I don't think it matters as I have done ghetto on different wheels.. same crazy stuff.

Front wheel seemingly fine for a few weeks, then flat for no reason--what is weird is even the day after a ride it is still aired up then all of the sudden flat when I grab it to go for a ride.

Rear wheel seems to hate stans.. or at least the valve, will either not seal or will seal then during a ride will let go.. has happened 4 times now.. fed up.

Feel better for ranting....[/QUOTE

They use different valves. Make sure you have the right one. Also is the Rampage a good tire for Stan's?

IME wire bead work the best (Ignitor / Nano).

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    My Rampage works great on my 355s. I ran it pretty low pressure all over rocky tech yesterday and it was problem-free.

I've had a problem with Panaracers (Razer 2.3 in 26 inch) on Olympics before. If you burp one on the trail, the sealant lubricates the bead which is baaaaaad.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Do you have the Oly valves and the proper width tape for the Flows? Did you nick or bend the yellow tape when putting the beads on? Those Rampages should seal up rock solid on Flows.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with a Rampage on an Arch rim. No issues at all.

On the other hand, I have a set of 355's where the front works perfectly, and the rear slowly looses pressure over a 3-4 day period. I've tried two different tires with the same result.

I've been trying to convert the Open Pro rims on my CX bike, and have not had good luck. The front seems to work okay. The rear is similar to your experience - it holds air great for a couple of days, and then it's 100% air free without warning while sitting untouched overnight. I'm about to give up on the conversion.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have the right valves and yellow stans tape was stock it appears in good shape and not pushed aside in any way.

mtbr member
    How often do you ride? The sealant needs to flung around in the tire to seal it properly. It seems like if you wait a long time between rides it either drains away from the bead or dries or something. I've had the best luck using gorilla glue duct tape because after i get a piece of the tape in the rim I can use a razor blade to cut the tape away from the bead. Even the standard valves cut out of old tubes seem to work fine.

mtbr member
    I've never had a problem setting up Rampages with Stans, they work great. The one time I had a problem with a Stans rim, it was with the valve stem. Even though the stem looked okay, I retaped the rim and used a new valve stem and then it sealed fine. A pain, for sure, but it works fine now.

Bite Me.
    Have you soaped the wheels up to see where the leak is? I run Rampages on Flows and had a little leakage at first. I added more sealant, inflated them to about 55 psi, and really worked the sealant around and set them on 5 gallon buckets for a good hour each, with a few swirls in between. It's all tight now - a bit of a PITA, but well worth the weight savings and absence of flats.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh and I have had them for a year now.. this isn't first time set-up issues, continued long lasting problems. Works for a while then goes all to hell.. well the rear wheel typically is tubed. I may try a new valve in the back.

My setup time is typically overnight on buckets. yada yada yada.. like I said before will work fine for a few rides then give up for no apparent reason. This last round went something like this:
    8.30 Front on a 5 or so week successfull Stans application, rear tubed.
    8.31 Flat front ride my other bike (with tubes)
    9.03 Remove both tires check strips, soap and water, sealant shake let sit...
    9.04 Holding air lost a few psi.. no biggie add some air flip and shake
    9.06 Verify pressure ride-- 3/4 way thru ride (maybe 10/12 miles) rear lets loose at valve--almost instant flat--check valve--is tight, spill latex **** all over camelback insert tube finish ride
    9.07 Ride Road bike but check pressure in both tires on the 29er, both holding air just fine- note rear is still tubed.
    9.08 Grab bike to take to work for a needed after work loop--front tire flat--- grab the tubed SS drive to work post rant..LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So yeah I am going to try a new valve in the back.. but the random flats suck the most.. go to grab the bike at 5am and find out it is flat sucks.. especially when it was fine a day ago and you didn't ride that bike that day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ran a rampage on a flow rim tubeless for about 9 months with no problems. It was as close to bulletproof as a wheel/tire combo could be. Just recently swapped it out for a snakeskin racing ralph, took 10 min to setup, and was riding trails within 30. Sounds like there's something going on with your valve, tape, or rim. I'd start with replacing the valve(s), check the tape for any issues, then inspect the rim's bead for any bends/etc. Many others have run the rampage/flow combo without any issues.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That's really weird.

Here's a left-field question: How did you initially seat the beads? Did you use a pump or an air compressor?

Reason I ask is I've found really hitting the beads hard on the initial setup seats them like a champ. I use my air compressor set at 140psi and seat the beads initially at roughly 45 to 50 psi in the tires. I then pull the valve core, dump in fluid, replace valve core and hit it again with a bunch of compressed air. Then soapy water, shake and rotate for awhile.

Using this method, I rode a cut rear Ardent on a Flow about 1.5 miles off the trail completely flat yesterday. No air and the bead itself never moved from the rim.

mtbr member
    butyl anyone?
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Seat the beads with an air compressor, I've never tried to figure out the front- in many cases I add air again and it works say 50% of the time.. I know when I have redone it the bead is usually stuck well to the rim..

The rear valve.. hell maybe i will caulk it in..

If I didn't live in the desert I wouldn't be so persistent in trying-however knock on wood my SS hasn't flatted in a while- using normal slimeless tubes..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I also don't get on the rear wheel why the Stans' won't seal the valve in if it begins to leak, it isn't like a huge gash...

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I use my air compressor set at 140psi and seat the beads initially at roughly 45 to 50 psi in the tires.
    I used to do that too until one day I blew one off. Took my dog about 3 days before she would come into the garage again. Now I never go passed 35psi. Wear your safety glasses
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Make sure you are shaking the bottle of fluid upside down with the tapered nozzle on top. Do not turn over and immediately shoot the fluid into a cup. This makes sure that the latex isn't settled near the bottom of the container. It sounds like you have all fluid and no latex to me. I had problems with my setups in the past until I read the bottle. It made perfect sense and has worked awesome after those little realizations.

Other than that you probably have a cut through your tire in tough spot to see. Usually at or on a knob. I got a nasty cut in my Racing Ralph Snakeskin last race that sheered a knob from left to right. You can see it when I ride now as it seeps when it breaks open. I'd really scan your tire well. I bet you either have a cut in your tire, or a tape issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0