Are Stans Arch's ok for my size.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Are Stans Arch's ok for my size.

I'm looking to build a new wheel set. Before everyone tells me to go to another forum, hear me first. I'm a bit of an oddity. I'm big 6'4" 250, but am pretty easy on wheels. My 26 inches wheels have always held up. King laced to Mavic 717's. I've never run tubeless cause of my size. Never really thought a gent of my stature could benefit form the technology. Could be wrong. My last bike, I was running King laced to DT Swiss 470's 29ers and never had to true them.

I know the Arch wheels don't have reinforced spoke holes, do you think it would matter for me. I just don't want to build a crazy heavy wheel set if I don't need it. I've been riding a hard tail all my life so I'm use to picking lines.

Is there any big guys out there easy on wheels? Have you ridden the Arch's? What have been the issues? Will my weight alone be too much for the rim to handle?

The wheels will be going on my I.F. Ti Deluxe. Feedback wanted.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    You can probably get by using an arch wheelset if you are as easy on wheels as you say you are. I also get the weight weenie thing but why not go with a flow wheelset for another 150gms and a lot more durability? You can get a flow set with light hubs around 1900 gms.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

Rollin 29s
    +1 on the Flows. The Flows also work better with wider tires, and give narrower tires a wider contact patch. I'm 6'4, 210 lbs, and fairly easy on wheels. I've trued my 26" wheels a few times, but never my road bike wheels, and so far I haven't had to touch my Stans Flows laced to ZTR hubs.

IMHO, the very few grams you gain going with the Flow instead of the arch is worth the durability and piece of mind that your wheels are just going to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    I'm only 210 or 220 with gear. I've been running Arch's for 18 months on I9 hubs, and I haven't had to touch the rims. I'd do it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi IMO you should only be thinking about the Flow Rims,If your bike only weighs 20lb & Im sure it is not the Flows will add 0.1 of a percent to your total riding weight.

So at your weight forget about the 100 to 150 gram extra wheel weight.

Just because you are not damaging a wheel set doesn't mean it is delivering the best results.

The leaverage your height & weight can put on tyres is huge & even if you don't take into acount that the flow is stronger & will flex & need less work to keep them good,The wider rim will hold your tyre more stable at a given pressure than with the Arch.

All this & we haven't even got to what the extra volume the wider rim will will give you.

Simple math big guy = big gear.

Do you drive a Mini or did you work out at your size a bigger bit of kit just works better for you?
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Members who have read this thread: 0