Stan's, 26" or 29" rimstrip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stan's, 26" or 29" rimstrip?

I've noticed quite a few people on here mention that they are using Stan's 26" rimstrips on their 29" wheels. Is there some advantage to doing this, or are people just using the rimstrips that they have leftover from their 26" wheeled bikes? Does it depend on which rim you are using - 26" rimstrips work better on some, while 29" rimstrips work better on others?

elbow gloves

I just converted to stans

with 29er rim strips. Getting them on the rim nicely was kind of a pain on my bontrager Mustangs. The rim strip seemed just a bit long. I started from the stem and had to push the rim strip towards the stem hole as i put in each section. If you stretch the rimstrip away from your starting point you will end up with a big pile-o-rimstrip somewhere in the middle that will never sit down. Once the rim strips were on though, I had the most pleasant experience inflating my fast track tires. Could have easily done it with a floor pump.

matt

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    I've noticed quite a few people on here mention that they are using Stan's 26" rimstrips on their 29" wheels. Is there some advantage to doing this, or are people just using the rimstrips that they have leftover from their 26" wheeled bikes? Does it depend on which rim you are using - 26" rimstrips work better on some, while 29" rimstrips work better on others?
    The rim strip used is determined by the rim width and to some extent the depth of the inside cavity. Many of the current rims available for 29" are on the narrow side and the 26" strip will work fine. When I have some time (hopefully very soon) I will get the website updated but in the interim, feel free to contact us through the website or give us a call 607-739-2301 if you are not sure which strip will work best.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    Once the rim strips were on though, I had the most pleasant experience inflating my fast track tires. Could have easily done it with a floor pump.

matt
    Ditto. Getting the Fast Traks to air up with a floor pump was virtually as easy as if I were using a tube. And it was my first try.

I'm using 29er strips on Mustangs. It's a tight fit, but patience and a plastic tire lever is all you need to get it to sit tight there under the bead lip. Only one ride on them, but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    The rim strip used is determined by the rim width and to some extent the depth of the inside cavity. Many of the current rims available for 29" are on the narrow side and the 26" strip will work fine. When I have some time (hopefully very soon) I will get the website updated but in the interim, feel free to contact us through the website or give us a call 607-739-2301 if you are not sure which strip will work best.
    Thanks Mike. Might as well keep the discussion here for the benefit of others. I don't have the wheels yet, but I'm planning to use Velocity VXC rims. Which rimstrip do you suggest for those?

mtbr member
    Thanks Mike. Might as well keep the discussion here for the benefit of others. I don't have the wheels yet, but I'm planning to use Velocity VXC rims. Which rimstrip do you suggest for those?
    Hope you don't mind if I piggyback a recommendation question on here too!

If you could recommend a strip for the new Salsa Delgado Disc rims that would be awesome!

Thanks,
    -Ian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian

If you could recommend a strip for the new Salsa Delgado Disc rims that would be awesome!

Thanks,
    -Ian

ditto that. I'm guessin that the 29er strip would be needed for the delgado since its wide but would like some input before buying it. I have some 26" strips laying around so I might try that first for sh*ts and giggles.
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    The VXC rims will work best with the 26" rim strip and as always, if you have loose fitting tires, you can add a layer of narrow velox type tape below the rim strip.

Remember - wire beads only for tubeless 29er conversions.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian

Thanks,
    -Ian
    We haven't had one to work with here yet and I don't know what the cross section looks like so based on width alone, the 29er strips are the way to go. We'll always work with you on an exchange if the strips don't work out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Too bad WTB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    The VXC rims will work best with the 26" rim strip and as always, if you have loose fitting tires, you can add a layer of narrow velox type tape below the rim strip.

Remember - wire beads only for tubeless 29er conversions.
    isn't making wire bead 29er tires anymore. Did you catch that thread a couple of days ago? I spoke with them and they gave me the low down. 29er tires will only have aramid beads from here on out. No more steel/wire.

Who else is making a non-folding 29er tire?

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Great thread!
    Such useful info so far- esp. considering I have Mustangs and a set of Fast Traks.

Mike B.
    Thanks for your help here. Do you think it's possible to create a current list of rims/tires that your rimstrips are compatable with and the corresponding rim strip size?

Thanks!
    OGG

thats actually already on the notubes website. they don't have all options but have a good amount.
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Great thread!
    Such useful info so far- esp. considering I have Mustangs and a set of Fast Traks.

Mike B.
    Thanks for your help here. Do you think it's possible to create a current list of rims/tires that your rimstrips are compatable with and the corresponding rim strip size?

Thanks!
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chidDONG
    thats actually already on the notubes website. they don't have all options but have a good amount.

yeah, a lot of the stuff is there already but it is due for a major update - soon I hope.

Recovering couch patato
    I got inspired. Took a new 355 ZTR wheel and a used dirty Fast Trak. Would air up with the floorpump just like that. Added the 29" strip, and almost immediately I got it to inflate! Keeping air decently already, just loses air too quickly to ride it for a while.
    I wonder what would be a good seating psi that still keeps a bead intact. Or should one just manually seat the tire when at lower, burpble, pressure?

i heart singletrack

I've used 26-inch Stans rim strips on 29-inch rims...

... out of convenience, I'm using the 26-inch Stans rimstrips I had laying around on my Dos Niner (with Delgado X rims) -- no problems. Tires air up easily and hold air better than with tubes. the strips themselves stretched to fit the larger rim with seemingly no issues (to-date).

That said, next time I buy rim strips, I'll get the genuine 29-inch versions.

Cheers,
    MG

SUBLIM8er
    How many are running tubeless w/out rimstrips? I've never used rim strips and seem to do just fine. It's a bit of a pain to air up intially (gotta use the gas station's air compressor) but, after that it's all good. I'm willing to sacrifice some convenience for lower rotational mass.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Jan 2006
    which tires are you using if you don't mind me asking??

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by JC2niner
    which tires are you using if you don't mind me asking??
    In 26- Scwalbe RR, Conti Explorer SS, Conti Gravity pro, Conti Twister SS, Hutch. Python
    In 29- Ignitors

Works for me
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I got inspired. Took a new 355 ZTR wheel and a used dirty Fast Trak. Would air up with the floorpump just like that. Added the 29" strip, and almost immediately I got it to inflate! Keeping air decently already, just loses air too quickly to ride it for a while.
    I wonder what would be a good seating psi that still keeps a bead intact. Or should one just manually seat the tire when at lower, burpble, pressure?
    When I went to Stan's to have him help me get my tires to work he aired them to max psi during the entire process. This was a few years back but it seemed to work.

Members who have read this thread: 0