Thread: Stan Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stan Wheels

Anyone have any experience with Stans complete wheelsets? Thanks

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

I have

...experience with some of Stan's tubeless wheels. I bought a set from him in late spring last year. They had Hugi 240s hubs and were extremely lightweight. I paid a lot of money for them and I don't think that they are worth all of that money, IMO.

To get them as light as he did, he had to use some lighter guage spokes. They didn't feel totally stiff because of that. The rims were extremely nice for tubeless. Never had any issues there. One thing about the rims that I did not feel too comfortable with is that the brake pad area was not machined away. The brake pads just wore away the side of the rim. And the rims were not beefed up for that potential wear. So, after a year or two of heavy riding would have weakened that rim. Especially if you were riding it in wet/muddy areas. Plus, the nipple holes did not have any eyelets in them. Again, they were made to be light.

I did like the wheels and used them to race with. I never really had any problems. I sold them as I have now went to disc wheels.

Weight of my wheelset was like 680 fr and 860 rr. Something like that. very light!

Cold. Blue. Steel.

me too!

i am interested in Stan's wheels also. i wonder if he would build them with a heavier gauge spoke? or, just get the rims and build them how i like.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Flight Junkie

Stan's

Last time I talked to him, he wasn't making the 29er rim. I guess he was having some issues with quality control and was not happy with it. That was a couple of months ago though. He might have restarted production since then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

awesome wheels

First off, these are race wheels. If you want them for your everyday commuter, they are not the wheels for you. If you want light, wide, tubeless then there is nothing that comes close. Even if you want to run discs, they can be built with stronger spokes and they work great. True, you can wear down the brake track (that's ANY rim, machined or not) but again, you shouldn't be riding these wheels day and day out unless you run discs. I have never owned a finer set of race wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er
    Anyone have any experience with Stans complete wheelsets? Thanks
    I've been using a set stan built wheels for the last year with mixed results. After about a month or so of riding the rear wheel lost tension in several spokes. One had almost backed out entirely. I re-tensioned the wheel and have had no real problems since. I've also had about 3 of stans tubless strips fail at the seam where he vulcanized the two strips together. He replaced them no questions.

They are built around king disc hubs and laced with revolutions, weigh in around 1600 g, and are noticeably stiffer than the race lites my bike came with.

If you do buy them get someone else to build them, I'm having Dave @ speed dreams do my ss set.

e

Occasionally engagedů

Production is backed-up...

Quote Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ
    Last time I talked to him, he wasn't making the 29er rim. I guess he was having some issues with quality control and was not happy with it. That was a couple of months ago though. He might have restarted production since then.
    I spoke with him last month and he was months away from having more of the 29er rims. His manufacturer is backed-up in production of the more in demand 26" rims and it will be late spring before there's a 29er rim available - from the horse's mouth! I'll certianly look to his rim if I have to rebuild my new wheel set (using IRD Cadence road rims) in the future.

Recovering couch patato
    So this would be a bad time to bug him with a possible 29" version of his 570g FR rim?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ
    They should be available at the end of january. Aparrently they are done just waiting to be shipped.

e