Stan s crest v american classic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Stan s crest v american classic

I m between the crest and the ac mtb 29 wheels for my new 29 frame.
    the crest are cheaper and maybe lighter but the american classic look very sweet even dough they cost much more ($ 850) v the crest (550) with the ztr hubs 15 mm ...any suggestion from anybody ? Is it worth to spend the extra money for the ac or not?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Not worth the difference in cost. You can get Crest at half the price of ACs and the Stan's stuff is the best for tubeless.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member
    Over here by me the AC are cheaper than the Stans by more than $200 so i went with the AC.Top class wheel and i must admit to me they seat the tires even better than the stans wheels i have on my 26er.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chillie
    Over here by me the AC are cheaper than the Stans by more than $200 so i went with the AC.Top class wheel and i must admit to me they seat the tires even better than the stans wheels i have on my 26er.
    The tubeless AC's mount tires easier then the Stan's rim IMO and have no weight limit. Used a set for DH last year and they made the whole season. If you look around you can get the AC's for close to the same price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Both great options. Buy whichever one is cheaper.

Trail Junkie
    The amazing part about the American Classics are the hubs. You can build up a set of Crests with American Classic hubs for around $650 which is still cheaper...and have all the same performance!

I have 355s w/ American Classic hubs and they a dream to ride..spin up incredibly fast and smooth, and have required zero maintenance!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    The amazing part about the American Classics are the hubs. You can build up a set of Crests with American Classic hubs for around $650 which is still cheaper...and have all the same performance!

I have 355s w/ American Classic hubs and they a dream to ride..spin up incredibly fast and smooth, and have required zero maintenance!
    Cheaper than what? Crest/ZTR wheelsets can be had for $440 w/ free shipping...

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    I'm in the market for the Crest with ZTR hubs...where can I get them for that price? Stan's is quoting me $565 with a Lefty hub and black spokes/nipples? Or is that normal with the Lefty hub add on? I'm in CA, so I'd like to buy out of state and save on tax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    I'm in the market for the Crest with ZTR hubs...where can I get them for that price? Stan's is quoting me $565 with a Lefty hub and black spokes/nipples? Or is that normal with the Lefty hub add on? I'm in CA, so I'd like to buy out of state and save on tax.
    With silver spokes and standard ZTR hubs is $440. Not sure about with the lefty hub, etc...

http://www.r2technik.com/crest29.html

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    Cheaper than what? Crest/ZTR wheelsets can be had for $440 w/ free shipping...
    He's obviously saying that the particular build he quoted (AC hubs laced to the NoTubes Crest rims) would be cheaper than the AC wheelset. Not sure how the quality of the ZTR hubs compare to the AC hubs over the long haul, but time will tell. I've got 2 sets of AC hubs that have made it 7 years to date without a hitch.

Spinning Lizzard writes:

"The tubeless AC's mount tires easier then the Stan's rim IMO and have no weight limit. "

Prior to the American Classic wheelsets being introduced as tubeless, the rider weight limit was 225. The 2011 model year for tubeless 29"er lists that weight limit is 235 pounds for the regular, SS and all mountain 29"er tubeless wheels.

The NoTubes Crest wheelset is around 180-5 for rider weight limit.

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    He's obviously saying that the particular build he quoted (AC hubs laced to the NoTubes Crest rims) would be cheaper than the AC wheelset. Not sure how the quality of the ZTR hubs compare to the AC hubs over the long haul, but time will tell. I've got 2 sets of AC hubs that have made it 7 years to date without a hitch.
    Oh it's far from obvious.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown

Spinning Lizzard writes:

"The tubeless AC's mount tires easier then the Stan's rim IMO and have no weight limit. "

Prior to the American Classic wheelsets being introduced as tubeless, the rider weight limit was 225. The 2011 model year for tubeless 29"er lists that weight limit is 235 pounds for the regular, SS and all mountain 29"er tubeless wheels.

The NoTubes Crest wheelset is around 180-5 for rider weight limit.

BB
    Hey Bruce, its only 1 L in Lizard, Thanks for weight limits on the AC's

mtbr member
    I was thinking of AC hubs laced to Stan's or the AC MTB 29er wheelseet. However, my local shop said they had seen a lot of issues (no specifics) with the AC stuff and wouldn't build a set of wheels with those hubs. Anybody heard of problems with AC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro
    I was thinking of AC hubs laced to Stan's or the AC MTB 29er wheelseet. However, my local shop said they had seen a lot of issues (no specifics) with the AC stuff and wouldn't build a set of wheels with those hubs. Anybody heard of problems with AC?
    My shop highly recommends AC hubs.

I've had the AC wheelset and they spin up nicely. It's a great wheelset! I don't think you can go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro
    In the past there was some issues w/ the AC rear cassette hubs, but you don't hear of that much anymore. I'm a huge fan, and I also like the WTB Laserdisc Lite/Single Duty which are a powder coated clone of the ACs and a little cheaper.

mtbr member
    I can get a set of the American Classics mtb 29's for $600 verses approx $800 for King/Arch built buy a great builder Also the CrankBrothers can be had for $590

I am 6'4" 190lbs and they are going on a Jet 9

Is it worth the extra money and weight to go with the King/Arch build over the AC's

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a set of AC's. The hubs spin very freely and the rims are very stiff. Can't ask for more than that.

mtbr member
    I love A/C rims but I had 2 rear hubs quit on me in the same year. A/C also "refused" to sell me just a spare rear wheel. Their pricing keeps going up for essentially the same wheelset.

I'm on Stan's Crests right now with ZTR hubs for little more than half the price of the A/C's and am totally happy with them.

I like Mavic's Crossmax wheelset better than either of these though.

NedwannaB

29er?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I like Mavic's Crossmax wheelset better than either of these though.
    I really liked my 26" SL's (selling now though as will be running 650B and 29" from now on ). Curious to your reasoning for liking the Mavics?

Thanks in advance.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

Professional Crastinator
    My ACs were doing fine, but I did break the front rim (crash - very expected mode of failure - they don't bend very far before breaking, but it takes a pretty wicked hit). The rear has 3 seasons on it without a problem. I was even able to fix it when my rear der. broke off and went in the spokes.

But the Crests are awfully light. At 185# I think I am at the limits of the ACs as I'm not running a race-only machine. I wouldn't attempt to use a lighter rim.

-F

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3
    I can get a set of the American Classics mtb 29's for $600 verses approx $800 for King/Arch built buy a great builder Also the CrankBrothers can be had for $590

I am 6'4" 190lbs and they are going on a Jet 9

Is it worth the extra money and weight to go with the King/Arch build over the AC's
    IMO, yes the king/arch combo is worth the premium over the ACs. I'd take a king hub over an AC almost any day, and the arch rims should be stronger compared to the AC rims. The king/arch set will be slightly heavier, but you're getting a fairly bulletproof setup at 190lbs.

FYI, I'm 6'5" and ~190. For xc racing I've gotten away with running 355s without issues, and know others that have gotten away with running crests. I'm currently waiting on a king/355 wheel build for this season. I raced the same wheelset for part of last season and it held up well... if only someone wouldn't have jacked my bike at a race mid-season I'd be using them again this year. Although people say the crests are as strong as the 355s a competent wheel builder advised me to go with the 355s due to being close or at the crest's weight limit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have two sets of AC's and haven't had to lift a finger on either for maintenance, truing ,etc. The 1st set is, I think, from '06 and has been beat up pretty bad since I like to run really low tire pressures. I just bend the rim strikes out with channel locks and keep rolling. I'm only 165# so I can't speak to weight issues.

Trail Junkie
    I actually just bought a set of AC's, and I have to say, they seat tires even better than Stans and my Rovals. They are the same weight, and I got the at about the same cost as Stan's Crest w/ AC hubs. In my opinion, the AC's are a little bit better, and definitely have more bling.

I would only consider the crest, if I wanted a fully custom wheel, and wanted to run something like I9 hubs. As far as proprietary wheelsets go, The AC's are very hard to beat, but the Roval Control ELs are pretty good too!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The only reason I went with the AC's over the Crest is because I picked up a set on CL for $350, otherwise I would be on a set of Crests right now. Nevertheless, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Members who have read this thread: 0