SS and FS Geared Bike- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

New question here. SS and FS Geared Bike

OK you guys sold me. I want to replace my SS and FS geared bike with 29'ers.
    Any suggestions on what FS geared bike to get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

here's a suggestion

You should by my 04 sugar 292

Dec 2004
    Maybe if it was an 05 with disks ect. Why don't you like it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It has hope mono mini's 180f/160r rotors, sram X-0 rear d., easton monkey lite bar, and X-9 triggers. I love it, I added a sybil link to get 4.6 inches out of the back and some custom fisher stickers and I must say the thing looks sweet. So basicly it's kind of an 05 but with better brakes. I just work at a bike shop so I kind of feel obligated to ride this years bike But don't worry I'll be getting the exact same thing. Fisher gets hammered on pretty hard on this board, but it's really the only complete full suspension bike at a decent price. Plus it has the most travel and the can be built up light. Most of the weight is in the fork and wheels. A maverick duc would take care of those two problems Also there are complaints about bb height, but by adding a sybil link to an '04 further raises the bb. Oh yeah I think maybe the maverick would raise the bb a little more too.

Dec 2004
    I really like the black 05's. Did they correct the bb height with the 05's? I am 6'3" and require a L or XL frame.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well as far as I know, no changs have been made to the frame. If you go online and compare this years 292 with lasts years 292 (look in a section called archives) the numbers are the same. However this could be a misprint, I'm not sure. I'm 6 1' and ride a large and my friend is 6'3 and rides a large with a 110 stem and a 400mm seatpost. The wheel on the xl just gets to be to long, if that's any help. I agree that the black is very cool, when i look forward my bike is black, when i look down it's silver. It's kind of fun, plus I changed the stickers to pewter because I don't really like yellow.

Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info! You think the 29'ers are that much better than the 26" wheel bikes? The selection on the 29'ers are limited so I am slightly concerned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well I think they are, I haven't had any desire to go back that's for sure. There was only one time over the season when I actully road a 26er on the trail. It was my friends Turner five spot with full xtr and a talas. Well all i can say is, it did nothing for me. It seriously felt like I was just going to fall off of the bike and the handling was far to twitchy. I rode really wierd and that's a nice bike with a 69 degree head angle, my fisher has a 71.5 and is rock solid. I can pretty much garantee that you wouldn't go back once you go big.

Dec 2004
    Thanks. Now I need to find a deal on an 05. How much would your shop charge for an 05?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dzanella
    Thanks. Now I need to find a deal on an 05. How much would your shop charge for an 05?
    Get a GF293 and build it up over time with the components you want. Or, if you have the money, get a frame and go to town ordering all the top of the line stuff. If you really have to money, I would go for the Lenz Leviathon.

Dec 2004

New question here.

Thanks I have been checking out the Lenz Leviathon's (sweeeeet!) Do you know how much the frame would cost? I think if I sell one or two of my 26' bikes I can build what I want. The GF293 seems like it has poor quality parts but may be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think the lenz is the best looking 29er, but for me 3 inches just isn't going to cut it. I like to run a lot of sag and with the fisher's 4.6 inches I can do that. Also this frame paired with a Maverick is the trailbike that everyone is waiting for and can't seem to find? 4.6 in the back and 5 in the front, well that and a set of those new ritchey's and that's all I need. I don't understand why everyone gives the fisher such a hard time. I really like my bike a lot, and they are availible to the genral public for a good price. If you think about, what is there to really up grade on an '05 292. It has X-0/X-9, a reba, disks, and carbon fiber goodies all for like 2600 bucks or something like that. The lenz and the fisher have a very similar rear suspension design in that neither have a horst link. The only bike that really does is the titus, but that bike has under three inches in the rear and is design to be run with an 80mm fork. I didn't even run an 80mm fork on my old hardtails, so why would i run one now. Now when devin gets around to that five inch lenz don't be suprised if I'm posting mine on this board

Dec 2004

Smile

Decisions….Decisions. Thanks for all of your great advice.