mtbr member
    Feb 2019

New question here. SRAM GX Eagle Question

Pardon my ignorance, but I have a 2019 Stumpjumper ST 29 with the stock SRAM 1x11 on it. I want to upgrade the groupset to the SRAM GX Eagle 1x12. How can I tell if the rear hub is XD or not? I need to know what all to order. All I can find on the Specialized site is this:
    REAR HUB Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 32h

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Look up the part number of the cassette, or take it off. Or just take out the wheel and check if the cassette has a lockring or not.
    But if it's an XD cassette it should be visible if you look through it from the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If the smallest cog on the current cassette is 10t it's a XD hub. If it's 11t, it's a regular splined Shimano freehub. Some hubs are convertible between the two, but I'd guess that hub probably isn't. You could email Specialized or take it into a local dealer if you have one and find out.

Edit: This is your bike? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...SABEgJ_E_D_BwE

If so, definitely not a XD hub and unlikely to be convertible. You'll need to rebuild the wheel with a compatible hub. That's going to make it an expensive upgrade and doesn't seem worth the cost to me, personally. The drivetrain you have is pretty good already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Those bikes ship with the 11-42 NX or SunRace cassette. While the hub is convertible, they are absolute garbage and not worth the $90 XD freehub body. We rebuild a few of those rear wheels a week with Hope or DT hubs.
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

https://fb.me/bikersedge

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    If the smallest cog on the current cassette is 10t it's a XD hub. If it's 11t, it's a regular splined Shimano freehub. Some hubs are convertible between the two, but I'd guess that hub probably isn't. You could email Specialized or take it into a local dealer if you have one and find out.

Edit: This is your bike? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...SABEgJ_E_D_BwE

If so, definitely not a XD hub and unlikely to be convertible. You'll need to rebuild the wheel with a compatible hub. That's going to make it an expensive upgrade and doesn't seem worth the cost to me, personally. The drivetrain you have is pretty good already.
    Yes, your hyperlink is my bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    Those bikes ship with the 11-42 NX or SunRace cassette. While the hub is convertible, they are absolute garbage and not worth the $90 XD freehub body. We rebuild a few of those rear wheels a week with Hope or DT hubs.
    This was my understanding as well of the Specialized-branded hubs back when I bought an Epic in 2011. They provided the rear hub with the frame - I never used it....

To the OP: save your money, wait until the rear hub dies, then upgrade the wheel and the drivetrain at the same time.

jcd's best friend
    SRAM GX Eagle and above only fit on XD freehubs, not standard. Make sure you double check the freehub like everyone else mentioned! I run a Sunrace 12spd cassette with my GX Eagle and it works great
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Besides the Sunrace, I believe you can also run a GX Eagle shifter/derailleur with the SRAM NX Eagle pg-1230 12 sp cassette (11-50 fits on shimano/splined hub)...looks like they are about $100.

I couldnít run the NX Eagle cassette...had to buy the more expensive GX for XD.

Might be cheaper, but itís not 10-50.
    Ď19 Trek Full Stache 8 29+
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works Jaw Breaker

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    More range?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Just use NX eagle cassette. If you donít need more range but just lower gear - then just buy a smaller chainring and save money.

I upgraded to gx but never use the 10t so technically I didnít need more range- just a smaller chainring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk