mtbr member

spot new mayhem 130/150

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spot-a...0-and-150.html

https://spotbikes.com/collections/bikes

available for pre-orders now

wonder if they are the same frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    would be sweet if the frame was compatible with both models. cant believe they still have that horrid external rear brake routing though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    would be sweet if the frame was compatible with both models. cant believe they still have that horrid external rear brake routing though.
    Can't believe they still have that horrid internal rear derailleur routing though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Posted on the other Spot Mayhem thread before seeing this.

150 has Fox 38 and Fox X2 shock in the 5 star build. Slacker geometry with a HI/LO geo adjust setting right on the shock mount. New Head Angles are 65/64.5 respectively. 31.0 lbs with the 5 star ($6199)

New 130 has lower headset angle of 65.7/65.2 with a Fox 36 and a Fox DPS Evol shock, same Geo adjust. 28.5 lbs with the 5 star ($5999)

Not excited about the 130 going down to a DPS for the shock, but I am sure they can customize for anyone. I'm thinking the 130 with a 150 upgrade upfront and a DPX2 in the rear is perfect for me. I'm also considering the Trek Fuel EX but I have the '17 version and the ReAktiv shock is just too goofy for me.

The 150 looks great but it's going to lose traction in the climbs with the X2 on the rear. I need all of the help I can get going uphill...

Looks like the leaf spring is now Titanium instead of carbon. New frame has a longer reach too, which was needed.

Choices, choices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think Spot nailed it with these updates.

Lots of people were beefing up the 130 with a 150mm on front and dpx out back, which I'm surprised doesn't come stock still... but the bit more reach and slightly slacker head angle will help the 130 feel a bit more planted like most modern trail/enduro bikes, whereas before the geometry / builds weren't quite progressive enough compared to current bikes (though Spot was pretty earlier in the steep STA and slightly slacker HTA).

The 150 looks killer, slacked out aggressively up front, 38, X2 which I think will make the living link that bit more plush, surprised Zoomie you think the X2 will some how kill the up hill traction? I think the bit more forgiveness and compliance in the shock will make up for how firm the living link system is on technical up hills.

I'm curious about the switch to titanium leaf spring from carbon as well, I had the Ryve 115 and the carbon living link plate developed a crack and play in the first week due to it not being torqued correctly as per Spot apparently (I didn't post it on here as Spot was really quick in sending an entire replacement frame as they believed it was their issue with the mis torque from their shop). I'm curious if they saw a few of those issues and switched to titanium. If it works the same but has more longevity why not.
    Yeti SB150
    Santa Cruz Tallboy V4
    Specialized Diverge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post

Lots of people were beefing up the 130 with a 150mm on front and dpx out back, which I'm surprised doesn't come stock still... but the bit more reach and slightly slacker head angle will help the 130 feel a bit more planted like most modern trail/enduro bikes, whereas before the geometry / builds weren't quite progressive enough compared to current bikes (though Spot was pretty earlier in the steep STA and slightly slacker HTA).

The 150 looks killer, slacked out aggressively up front, 38, X2 which I think will make the living link that bit more plush, surprised Zoomie you think the X2 will some how kill the up hill traction? I think the bit more forgiveness and compliance in the shock will make up for how firm the living link system is on technical up hills.

I'm curious about the switch to titanium leaf spring from carbon as well, I had the Ryve 115 and the carbon living link plate developed a crack and play in the first week due to it not being torqued correctly as per Spot apparently (I didn't post it on here as Spot was really quick in sending an entire replacement frame as they believed it was their issue with the mis torque from their shop). I'm curious if they saw a few of those issues and switched to titanium. If it works the same but has more longevity why not.
    You could be right about the X2 combined with the Living Link. The knock on the X2 is that it has two modes - Firm and Open - and it's got a lot of plush in the open position which the Living Link might firm up a bit because the firm setting on the X2 is a traction killer.

The only thing holding me back from buying the SPOT was the geometry of the old frame, but like you said, longer reach and lower headset angle makes the 130 a great rig spec'd with a 150 Fox 36 and a DPX2. That's what I will ask for anyway!

mtbr member
    yeah, x2 def not a traction killer. just dont use climb switch, i agree its too firm for trail climbing, but x2 has so much tune-ability it can be set up to climb well without the switch.
    paired with living link, which has always felt a bit firmer to me, x2 in open should be just fine for climbing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    whatever happened with direct to consumer prices? look at fezzari and their new delano. their lowest model for 3,500 with SLX drivetrain and DVO suspension. thats what i call a deal.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...lano-peak.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    whatever happened with direct to consumer prices? look at fezzari and their new delano. their lowest model for 3,500 with SLX drivetrain and DVO suspension. thats what i call a deal.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...lano-peak.html
    I was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thicc Member
    That seat angle for the 130 is steep and the ett is short. Not really a bike for pedaling. I'd have to demo first to see if I liked their bikes before dropping the same money compared to a proven company like Pivot.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shorter top tube, shorter stem, steeper seat angle, longer reach might all equal a very similiar cockpit feel of the outgoing Mayhem 130.

Too bad they couldnít get the frame weight down into the 5lb range... or lower.

I am hoping more people review the Mayhem 130. I havenít even had my bike a year yet and I am thinking of ďupgradingĒ to the new Mayhem 130 when available.

The new Fezzari Delano also caught my eye.

I kinda wish the Mayhem was a little more nimble. It feels a little heavy for my 150lb riding style (old man ish riding style... not 20/30 year old letting it rip and trying to send it at every jump.). Lol. Maybe I go to head in the direction of the 2021 Specialized Epic Evo / Santa Cruz Tallboy direction.

mtbr member
    6 Delano reviews on youtube. 0 new Mayhem reviews. Fez can still afford a social media budget at those prices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by relder View Post
    6 Delano reviews on youtube. 0 new Mayhem reviews. Fez can still afford a social media budget at those prices.
    If you are talking about the new Mayhem.... it's because it isn't physically out yet. Dum comment.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member

New Mayhems' info

Hi all! Paul from Spot bikes here. Over the next couple weeks I'll be responding to comments and questions on this forum about our new bikes the Mayhem 130 and Mayhem 150. We hope you like what you see! We've been enjoying developing and riding these new models and we are happy to share information.

Feel free to contact us directly as well -

303.278.3955 & sal[email protected]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    That seat angle for the 130 is steep and the ett is short. Not really a bike for pedaling. I'd have to demo first to see if I liked their bikes before dropping the same money compared to a proven company like Pivot.
    Demos start next week, July 27th from our showroom in Golden. Please give it a try if you can! I think you'll be impressed with how it pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post

One of the compelling reasons to use composites for this part in the past was the relative ease to vary the cross section thickness of the part front to rear. Designed correctly, this taper produces a uniform radius of curvature, and therefore more uniform tensile stress, as the part flexes. This is a similar design solution to the taper of a fly rod getting thinner towards the tip. As this system evolved, we added the "spooler", the part you see below the spring, which was conceived to keep the flexure uniform from side to side and act to further stiffen the frame laterally. Since curvature was now fully constrained, we were no longer dependent on a variable cross section thickness. This opened up opportunities to use many different materials. Titanium won out due to its favorable material properties as a spring, but also due to its strength and corrosion resistance. An added bonus was now the system can be packaged in a smaller space.

mtbr member
    Paul, when do you guys expect XL demos to be available? right now it only lets me reserve M or L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    Paul, when do you guys expect XL demos to be available? right now it only lets me reserve M or L.
    We expect to have XL demos available in late October. We have medium and large coming first in our August delivery. All sizes are coming in October.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hi Paul, thanks for chiming in. could you elaborate some on pricing for new mayhems?
    are you not direct to consumer model any more? looking at few other brands that are not DTC, say Ibis, their frames run about $300-400 less.

also, whats the wait for the bikes/frames at this point? say i wanted 5-star 150 XL in red, or just XL frame with X2? Late October like said above, or is that just for your demo bikes?

will you be able to swap X2 for DPX2 for the frame only? or mod full builds, ie. Shimano or TRP brakes rather than Sram, possibly whole Shimano drive train?

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Why did you slacken the head tube angle on the new Mayhem?

Also as noted above. Price seems to high for DTC bike.

Why no Shimano builds in the 4 or 5 star build? Would rather have Shimano over SRAM

mtbr member
    hi Paul, thanks for chiming in. could you elaborate some on pricing for new mayhems?
    are you not direct to consumer model any more? looking at few other brands that are not DTC, say Ibis, their frames run about $300-400 less.

also, whats the wait for the bikes/frames at this point? say i wanted 5-star 150 XL in red, or just XL frame with X2? Late October like said above, or is that just for your demo bikes?

will you be able to swap X2 for DPX2 for the frame only? or mod full builds, ie. Shimano or TRP brakes rather than Sram, possibly whole Shimano drive train?

thanks
    Yes, I can comment on pricing. Our costs have gone way up this year due to increased tariffs and rising transportation prices. This gets passed on to frames and complete bikes as both prices went up. The Mayhem 150 frame gets the Fox Factory X2 shock vs. the DPX2 that has been on frame-only options in the past. This raises the price of that frame as well.

For timeline, on an 5-star XL complete or frame only would come in around late October/early November. We are expecting them at that time. We won't have any modifications available on the new Mayhems this year but this may be something we can do in 2021.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Why did you slacken the head tube angle on the new Mayhem?

Also as noted above. Price seems to high for DTC bike.

Why no Shimano builds in the 4 or 5 star build? Would rather have Shimano over SRAM
    Hi there. For pricing, our costs have gone up due to transportation prices and rising tariffs.

Along with the slacker head angle, we also increased the reach on the new Mayhem 130, offering more stability on steep and fast terrain along with more front end grip. We've also steepened the seat angle on the new bike to help put the rider in a great position to handle the longer and slacker front end. All together, it makes for a faster, more stable bike without sacrificing any of the Mayhem 130's climbing or slow-speed handling ability.

Thanks for the feedback on your build preferences. We like the SRAM Eagle drivetrains and G2 brakes. Shimano makes great product as well. We can't inventory everything but we hope to add more options at some point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So who is selling their generation 1 mayhem and getting a generation 2 mayhem?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So who is selling their generation 1 mayhem and getting a generation 2 mayhem?
    I will gladly sell my late model year 2019 size M Mayhem (with 2020 components - 5 star build - full x01 - 160mm dropper) for the new one if I could find a buyer for mine. If anyone is interested PM me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I really like the geometry and the suspension on these new bikes (at least in concept from what I have read). So much so I ordered a 150 to replace my Insurgent and a 130 to replace my wifeís sb5c. I prefer a stiffer, poppier suspension that climbs well Combined with aggressive geometry. I snobbishly admit I also like a bit of a unique ride on the trails. These new versions seem to fit the bill. Itís an added bonus that they are local and I can pick them up from the headquarters in Golden.

Will report back on if it was blind money well spent or a bad gut decision. Canít wait for October!

mtbr member

Anyone disconnect the shock and cycle a LL suspension?

I'm super curious about what the living link "feels" like without the shock's involvement during the complete cycle (compression and rebound). I wish I had access to a bike to try this. Anyone care to post a video demonstration? How and when and in which directions does the leaf spring push and pull exactly and with how much force? I'm having a hard time visualizing the effect of the LL on the suspension despite Spot's online animation. Disconnecting the shock will isolate suspension effects to just the LL.
    Never cross a river because it is on average 4 feet deep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged View Post
    I'm super curious about what the living link "feels" like without the shock's involvement during the complete cycle (compression and rebound). I wish I had access to a bike to try this. Anyone care to post a video demonstration? How and when and in which directions does the leaf spring push and pull exactly and with how much force? I'm having a hard time visualizing the effect of the LL on the suspension despite Spot's online animation. Disconnecting the shock will isolate suspension effects to just the LL.
    I'm just going to tack onto this question....

I have had a few buddies ride the full suspension line up from Spot at demos, and they all say they blow through the suspension and have bottoming out problems. Is this something to do with the setup, or just inherently part of the suspension design? I've also seen a few reviews that mention the same thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have only seen one review of the new Mayhems out so far in bicycling and didnít see any mention of suspension giving up the travel too easy. Are you reading reviews of the older version?

Hope thatís not the case but i will find out. Should be able to tune that out quite a bit with the compression settings on the x2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I have only seen one review of the new Mayhems out so far in bicycling and didnít see any mention of suspension giving up the travel too easy. Are you reading reviews of the older version?

Hope thatís not the case but i will find out. Should be able to tune that out quite a bit with the compression settings on the x2.
    These are old reviews, but it's the same suspension platform. They did mention in the one article posted above that they fiddled with the ramp up, which may help. I was hoping the Spot fella on here could give some insight.

I was looking at the Mayhem pretty heavily but backed off when the few people I know reported back riding them at demos. They say they climb amazing, but going down they couldn't stop the bike from blowing through the rear travel and bottoming the bike out. These guys are well seasoned riders and said they did tinker with some settings on the trail trying to fix the issue, but couldn't seem to get it set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    These are old reviews, but it's the same suspension platform. They did mention in the one article posted above that they fiddled with the ramp up, which may help. I was hoping the Spot fella on here could give some insight.

I was looking at the Mayhem pretty heavily but backed off when the few people I know reported back riding them at demos. They say they climb amazing, but going down they couldn't stop the bike from blowing through the rear travel and bottoming the bike out. These guys are well seasoned riders and said they did tinker with some settings on the trail trying to fix the issue, but couldn't seem to get it set.
    That's not great to hear. Were your buddies riding the 130 or 150? That does sound like an issue fixable with a volume spacer though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I have had a few buddies ride the full suspension line up from Spot at demos, and they all say they blow through the suspension and have bottoming out problems. Is this something to do with the setup, or just inherently part of the suspension design? I've also seen a few reviews that mention the same thing.
    had a very similar issue with my mayhem 29. i would either run higher pressure and the bike would feel hardtail while climbing or would lower the pressure and make it more compliant on the climb (which is what i wanted) but then blow through the travel super easy. i eventually found sort of a balance, but it would feel real firm on climbs still, to the point i kept looking at the shock making sure its actually moving. i think maybe there should be different leaf stiffness options for the bike to swap as we all ride differently. not an engineer here but maybe it would help to tune the bike for ones needs better. i tried so many air pressure/shock/volume reducers adjustments combination, even tried dpx2 shock for a while but couldnt make it feel right. (actully liked the bike with dps better though). it is difficult to describe and maybe i am too picky, but i ended up selling the bike after 6 months and got ripley v4 and i couldnt be happier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cglass1015 View Post
    That's not great to hear. Were your buddies riding the 130 or 150? That does sound like an issue fixable with a volume spacer though.
    They were on the 130 and iirc one of them had the same report about the Rollik.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To say its the same is likely not accurate. Its a revised version of their patented living link. V2 is a departure from V1. Maybe a good analogy is It may be more like the v1 to v2 Ripmo - subtle but most agree - better. So it may not ride like a whole new bike - or it may... but it could be also really lie in sum of it all - the combination of suspension kinematic changes combined with goemetry changes make the change ultimately ride like a very different bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    To say its the same is likely not accurate. Its a revised version of their patented living link. V2 is a departure from V1. Maybe a good analogy is It may be more like the v1 to v2 Ripmo - subtle but most agree - better. So it may not ride like a whole new bike - or it may... but it could be also really lie in sum of it all - the combination of suspension kinematic changes combined with goemetry changes make the change ultimately ride like a very different bike.
    This is a great point. It'd be nice to have Spot weigh-in as others have said. The new bike is supposed to be softer off the top, but is it too soft now and bottoms too easy? The bicycle review is pretty glowing and says nothing about being harsh off the top or bottoming easily. In fact, the review said it felt like "butter." I do agree with Matt Phillips' (the Bicycling review author) conclusions on other bikes, so I'm tending to think he's right on this one. That said, I'm really hoping for more reviews soon.

I pre-ordered a 130, so I'm very very interested in this. I ordered with the thought I would cancel if I read poor or conflicting reviews from other publications. At this point though, I'm not sure they'll be any more reviews until after the first orders ship.

mtbr member
    the bike would feel hardtail while climbing
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm not the most aggressive rider, but bottoming out has never been an issue for me on the Mayhem, perhaps I'm over-pressurized to get that hardtail climbing you mention. Then again, I got the Mayhem after riding a bunch of different bikes at Outerbike and picked it since it wasn't super squishy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think they may have recognized their errors on the first gen bikes. For example, they updated the Rollick in 2019 to have a softer initial stroke and more ramp at the end. This is an acknowledgement by them that it needed to be improved in this respect. However, I think a stiffer ride is always going to be inherent and intentional in this design. They are saying similar suspension modifications are made to the new mayhems. From an bike rumor article on the new Rollick below.

ď The Rollik 150 gets a revised suspension tune and updated kinematics. They say itís now a little more progressive, so itís softer off the top for better traction but with more support at bottom out.Ē

I will try to test ride the 150 before it arrives if I can get away from work and report back, but I am committed (unless test ride goes unexpectedly bad). I like a bit firmer rear suspension for a more playful and less plow ride. Itís more fun that way.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying the new version has the same issues, I'm asking. Like I said, these are just reports I got from people I trust. I was very interested in a Mayhem but not with the issues mentioned. If Spot has some good insight as to how they addressed these issues then I'm interested in hearing them. I think it's a fair question since I haven't seen it addressed anywhere else yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Itís absolutely a fair question. Not trying to diminish it at all. You sparked a good conversation about it and motivated me to take a test ride to confirm for myself.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice bike. Going with the 130 or perhaps the Ryve which can't find a negative review on....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone have a comparison on the "feel" of the old mayhem to the new mayhem with the updated geometry?

mtbr member

Where are they riding these bikes at? Sounds like a set up issue but Spot does all their own demos now and I'd like to think they aren't sending folks out on bikes set up poorly.

I have had my Mayhem for 3 years and never had this issue. I'm a hack that points and shoots, zero finesse all beef. Mine is ridden on Colorado chunk daily with trips to Moab. The fun meter shows I use all the travel but I never feel it bottom. When I first test rode a Mayhem I asked at the top of the climb how to open the shock and when they said it was open I expected the worst on the descent. Used full travel but never felt it going down, I was sold.

I'm initially attracted to the 150 so the extra travel can bail me out of my bad line choices but with how far design has come with suspension lately do I need the extra travel?
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i wonder if there is more rear clearance on new models, my mayhem would only fit 2.35 with clearance i would be comfortable with. hopefully this got addressed. was hoping they loose that nasty rear brake routing and go internal too. hoping to be able to demo 150 soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i wonder if there is more rear clearance on new models, my mayhem would only fit 2.35 with clearance i would be comfortable with. hopefully this got addressed. was hoping they loose that nasty rear brake routing and go internal too. hoping to be able to demo 150 soon.

Rear brake routing is still external but it does appear that there is an actual groove in the frame molding to perfectly fit the brake line run to the rear of the bike. The virtual reality representation of the bike in your room is a really cool thing to see it full size and spin it around in crazy detail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Rear brake routing is still external but it does appear that there is an actual groove in the frame molding to perfectly fit the brake line run to the rear of the bike. The virtual reality representation of the bike in your room is a really cool thing to see it full size and spin it around in crazy detail.
    yeah, its in the groove like on ryve, not a big deal but i would rather see clean frame look. dont really see point in external since brake swap literaly takes less than 10 minutes, including bubble bleed. plus most of the folks will not ever touch it anyway. but its jut me being super picky, lol

mtbr member

mayhem

what color?

mtbr member
    can't decide between red hot tomato or black.....hmmmm

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any more real reviews. Interested in how it does in chunky rocky slow tech. The v1 didn't fair well here.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Tough call. New 130's aren't shipping until October. Worst case scenario if you don't like it return it, get your money back, get something else. Its just a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks like reviews are rolling in on their website from folks who have demoíd one so far. Look at the bottom of the 130 demo page linked below.

https://spotbikes.com/collections/de...0-29-demo-ride

mtbr member

mayhem

can't find a single negative review. i think when bicycling mag dropped their story that pretty much solidified the bike. I'm in...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I have only had my Ryve 115 for a month, but I am so impressed with it that I just ordered a Mayhem 150 to replace my Fezzari La Sal Peak. Something about the Spot Kinematics and Geo just clicks with me and I have instant trust of the bike.

I have confused isolating with composed, and turns out a lively bike can be fast, confident and fun without needing to erase the trail.

mtbr member
    heard about that

mtbr member
    i wonder if there is more rear clearance on new models, my mayhem would only fit 2.35 with clearance i would be comfortable with. hopefully this got addressed.
    I have been running 2.4 DHR2 and 2.5 Assegai or Aggressor on the rear for the last 2.5 years without issue. I'm also running 36mm internal width rims
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rode the 150 today for a short test ride. Take this all with a huge grain of salt as I canít form a real opinion on an hour ride.

Loved it. Very playful and sporty suspension that likes to be pumped, popped and pushed into corners. Fairly easy to get front up too for a 29er. Itís a bike that rewards active riding and begs to find trail features. Itís not a magic carpet ride for those looking for that (I am not) but handled the chunk I hit with absolute poise and had a firm but muted feel. I was also surprised at the lack of sluggishness in the handling given the angles. Pretty sharp steering bike for what it is.

Climbing was very, very efficient for a bike with this travel. Probably wouldnít be my first choice, however, if my favorite thing in the world is climbing short steep chunk, but thatís my least favorite part of riding and where I tend to get hurt the most. Get a horst link for that. However, itís not bad in this respect just not the best Iíve ridden (not the worst either like older VPP).

The 38 will be getting coiled as soon as the smash pot is available. Just canít get along with air springs after going coil up front.

In short, I finished the ride with a huge smile in my face and had that new bike buzz. Canít wait for mine to come in Nov.

mtbr member
    Nice. Cant find a negative review anywhere on this brand. I think once the refresh starts to come out the reviews are going to explode. Tested a Ripmo and Ripley other day. Nice rides but maybe its me, didn't think the fit and finish was anything memorable. DW Link was nice but there are lots of nice bikes out there. Again if the reviewer at Bicycling Mag said he got rid of all his bikes and now rides new Mayhem 130, somethings gotta be there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Demo ride results make me feel better about buying blind. You describe just what I wanted in my long travel bike. What shock did the demo have?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It had the x2. Spot set up the suspension for me before I arrived. It wasnít perfect for me as setup but reasonably good for a demo. I didnít spend any time fiddling with it.

Felt better out of the box for me than the rock shox shock that came on my insurgent, which had compression issues I had to have avalanche correct.

Climbed with it in open mode and wouldnít ever likely use the climb switch unless it was a very long fire road climb. Bike climbed very well in open.

Again, worth repeating I only rode it for an hour and may change my opinions after I get real seat time on it and adjust it to my liking. Promising first impression though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Took the 150 out for a demo last week and the 130 out today. I am not really in the market for a new bike but was curious how the new bikes compared to the older models. I have the Rollik 607 and my wife has the mayhem with fox 34 and dps shock which she lets me ride sometimes. We both love our bikes, but I am not a total fanboy who thinks they are perfect. I like how poppy and energetic they are when putting down the power, but I find that comes with the downside of less traction on technical climbs and rocky descents, so like I said I was curious how the new bikes compared. Rode both bikes on Apex on even days.

150: The first thing I noticed on the 150 going up was the small bump compliance was definitely improved as advertised, and the rear wheel felt glued to the ground on technical climbing. The bike climbed well for a bike this size, but I could feel it was a bigger, longer slacker bike than I am used to. I felt like I didn't clean as many technical sections going up as I usually do, but could be in my head. I would say it climbed "fine", but not my favorite bike to climb on. When I pointed the bike down hill I was blown away with how confidence inspiring it was. With the 38 and x2 shock, I felt like I could plow into anything at mach speed and the bike would charge through unfazed. Picking lines became unnecessary, and the wheels stayed glued to the ground through the chunder. Downside to all that traction and suspension was when I went to pop off of a little rock or root it didn't have that energetic pop I am used to with spot bikes, and was harder to get the bike in the air. If max speed down steep technical trails was my mission, this would definitely be my bike, but overall I felt like neither me or my trail are aggressive enough to warrant all that capability for 90% of my riding.

130: This bike felt much more familiar to me. I guess it was the 5 star with carbon wheels. It felt energetic and playful and much more of a trail bike. climbing was a breeze, and while it didn't have as much gluey traction as the 150 over technical sections i felt the small bump was improved over the original mayhem, and the slacker head angle and longer reach didn't seem to have any negative effect going uphill. It felt light and easier to pop up over obstacles than the 150. Going downhill it was more playful and super easy to get airborne. It definitely didn't smash through things like the 150, but instead want to pop over obstacles versus going through them. Versus the original mayhem, the slacker head angle and fox 36 was a welcome improvement over my mayhem. The 36 is plenty of fork for me to keep things calm up front, and the dps did fine, I wouldn't say it got overwhelmed, but maybe skipped over rocks more than staying glued to the ground like the 150. Even though I felt more confident on sketchy sections on the 150, I had more fun on the 130.

Thats my take. For a park bike or downhill race bike, I would take the 150. For an everyday trail bike/do everything bike on the front range, its 130 all day. Fun factor was higher going both up and down. Compared to the previous mayhem, small bump compliance is improved, and longer reach and slacker HA are welcome improvements.

mtbr member
    Nice so at the end of the day if you could buy a Mayhem 130, Rascal or a Ripmo which would you buy and why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Took the 150 out for a demo last week and the 130 out today. I am not really in the market for a new bike but was curious how the new bikes compared to the older models. I have the Rollik 607 and my wife has the mayhem with fox 34 and dps shock which she lets me ride sometimes. We both love our bikes, but I am not a total fanboy who thinks they are perfect. I like how poppy and energetic they are when putting down the power, but I find that comes with the downside of less traction on technical climbs and rocky descents, so like I said I was curious how the new bikes compared. Rode both bikes on Apex on even days.

150: The first thing I noticed on the 150 going up was the small bump compliance was definitely improved as advertised, and the rear wheel felt glued to the ground on technical climbing. The bike climbed well for a bike this size, but I could feel it was a bigger, longer slacker bike than I am used to. I felt like I didn't clean as many technical sections going up as I usually do, but could be in my head. I would say it climbed "fine", but not my favorite bike to climb on. When I pointed the bike down hill I was blown away with how confidence inspiring it was. With the 38 and x2 shock, I felt like I could plow into anything at mach speed and the bike would charge through unfazed. Picking lines became unnecessary, and the wheels stayed glued to the ground through the chunder. Downside to all that traction and suspension was when I went to pop off of a little rock or root it didn't have that energetic pop I am used to with spot bikes, and was harder to get the bike in the air. If max speed down steep technical trails was my mission, this would definitely be my bike, but overall I felt like neither me or my trail are aggressive enough to warrant all that capability for 90% of my riding.

130: This bike felt much more familiar to me. I guess it was the 5 star with carbon wheels. It felt energetic and playful and much more of a trail bike. climbing was a breeze, and while it didn't have as much gluey traction as the 150 over technical sections i felt the small bump was improved over the original mayhem, and the slacker head angle and longer reach didn't seem to have any negative effect going uphill. It felt light and easier to pop up over obstacles than the 150. Going downhill it was more playful and super easy to get airborne. It definitely didn't smash through things like the 150, but instead want to pop over obstacles versus going through them. Versus the original mayhem, the slacker head angle and fox 36 was a welcome improvement over my mayhem. The 36 is plenty of fork for me to keep things calm up front, and the dps did fine, I wouldn't say it got overwhelmed, but maybe skipped over rocks more than staying glued to the ground like the 150. Even though I felt more confident on sketchy sections on the 150, I had more fun on the 130.

Thats my take. For a park bike or downhill race bike, I would take the 150. For an everyday trail bike/do everything bike on the front range, its 130 all day. Fun factor was higher going both up and down. Compared to the previous mayhem, small bump compliance is improved, and longer reach and slacker HA are welcome improvements.
    did demo both at apex as well. i totally agree with your observations, like 100%. i used to own mayhem 29 but ended up selling it due to lack of traction and you are mentioning, the suspension never felt there for me and it definetly wasnt supple, which i love with dw links. got ripmo, had ripmo for a while but eventually ended up with ripley 4 as ripmo felt like too much bike for most rides that i do.
    the small bump on both mayhems has definitely improved. i would go for
    130 if i had to pick but there was nothing really that was being done better than my current set up ripley v4. i got a new bike bug again, but i dont think its going to be either of these bikes. now ESKER rowl seems really promising as it stands between ripley and ripmo. this would probably be ideal bike for me and unfortunately ibis doesnt have bike in this category.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The 150 sounds very capable from the demo descriptions. Any thoughts if a bit more pop could be dialed in via the X2, or if the plow bike behavior the sum of the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -The back up bike needs a back up bike: n+2

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I found the 150 very poppy for a 150 29er. And I am coming from an Evil Insurgent. I guess itís all relative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post

Great write-up. And confirms why I am probably going for the Revel Rascal for my next new bike. I was hoping the new Mayhem would be in the middle of the new 130/150. Sounds like great bikes nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Outside of the demo fleet, anyone seen/have the new Mayhem 150? Seen a handful of g2 reviews and pics of 130s being posted online, but nothing on the g2 150s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Great write-up. And confirms why I am probably going for the Revel Rascal for my next new bike. I was hoping the new Mayhem would be in the middle of the new 130/150. Sounds like great bikes nonetheless.
    check out esker rowl as well, as it would be more "in the middle" as well.
    orion should be similar to dw link so better suspension platform as well.

mtbr member
    Will do. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I received notice this morning Spot isn't shipping 130s Late October as planned, and is now saying mid-December. I pre-ordered in August and needless to say, I'm bummed about this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I received notice this morning Spot isn't shipping 130s Late October as planned, and is now saying mid-December. I pre-ordered in August and needless to say, I'm bummed about this.
    Not sure if you have to have the generation 2 mayhem but contact Spot and they may have some generation 1 mayhems left.

I just bought one that I received on Oct. 11.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spot new mayhem 130/150-mayhem1600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    150ís still looking like later November and 130ís mid December, as cglass stated. Bummer for sure but squarely in the category of it is what it is with the unpredictability of shipping at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I'm pretty locked in to waiting until mid-December at this point, but thanks for pointing out the possibility. I ordered early August, so I might as well keep waiting at this point. I just hope the stars align for mid-December shipment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Got the same message about my 150 I pre-ordered in August. Not a huge deal as even the original date missed my final bike trip of the year. Seems like bike and part supply chain is getting worse, not better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TazMini View Post
    Got the same message about my 150 I pre-ordered in August. Not a huge deal as even the original date missed my final bike trip of the year. Seems like bike and part supply chain is getting worse, not better.

Took me about a month to get my gen1 mayhem. The hold up was the Stans wheels. Took Stans almost 3 weeks to get them the wheelset.

I don't know...If I were Spot I would offer alternate components if one of their standard component suppliers isn't able to come through in a timely manner.

This far into the pandemic I think some companies are using covid as an excuse for not being timely in supplying their product.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Took me about a month to get my gen1 mayhem. The hold up was the Stans wheels. Took Stans almost 3 weeks to get them the wheelset.

I don't know...If I were Spot I would offer alternate components if one of their standard component suppliers isn't able to come through in a timely manner.

This far into the pandemic I think some companies are using covid as an excuse for not being timely in supplying their product.
    The issues are there for many. My wife imports product from China for a living and they are having a real hard time getting orders in a timely fashion still and most often, they are delayed. I am also about to close on a new home with one of the larger home builders in the country and they have to amend the contract to agree to deliver certain items post close because the supply chain broke down. Items they couldnít get include some of the appliances, the smart lock and door knob and some of the hardware.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Keep in mind, it's the Mayhem 130 frames they are missing. It's hard to substitute that.

To your example however, it would have been nice for Spot to offer you a wheel upgrade (assuming you'd have been willing to pay for it) to get your bike out the door sooner.

The fact is, demand is exceeding supply. Even without a pandemic, we'd be seeing delays and shortages. The pandemic has just turned everything up to 11 (not in a good way).
    Last edited by cglass1015; 10-23-2020 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Sh*t show all around for sure which is why I'm waiting on purchasing anything just yet and focusing on golf and riding the bike I have now. No worries, all will come around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I received the new Mayhem130 on Monday. I have two rides on it and love it so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    That's awesome! It'd be great to hear a more in-depth review once you get some more rides on it.

I assume you're either on a medium or large frame then? My order is for an XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
    Sh*t show all around for sure which is why I'm waiting on purchasing anything just yet and focusing on golf and riding the bike I have now. No worries, all will come around.
    Well and the fact you're buying a Specialized.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Yawn.....How's your toy Revel Ranger?