Spot Longboard versus Niner MCR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spot Longboard versus Niner MCR

Hey Guys,

I've been wanting to try this 29er thing I keep hearing about. I've been doing a lot of research and have decided on a steel hardtail 1x9. I've got it narrowed down to the Spot Longboard 9 or Niner MCR. Both of them have similar geometry, although the MCR has a slightly longer top tube. My 26" bike has a 23" top tube. The Spot also has a 23" and the Niner has a 23.75".

Curious if anyone has ridden both and what their impressions were. To be clear, I'm looking at the Spot made in Taiwan, not the custom built frames.

Thanks.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Just on CS: Niner wins hands down.

Emailed Spot when I was looking at 29'ers - Got no reply (ever).
    Emailed Niner - Reply is always within a couple of hours.

(Not quite the answer you're looking for, sorry).

I'm just messing with you
    Comparing apples and oranges - a MCR frame approaches the price of a complete Longboard these days.

I wouldn't hesitate (and didn't) to make a lowball offer to those e-bay sellers and see how cheap you can get a Spot these days.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    IMO the frames are very comparable. the spot sizes are right between the niner sizes. my spot XL is exactly between L and XL niner frames (except for the seat tube length that does not have much influence on the riding charcteristics).

the weight of the longboard is about the same to the MCR as well.

VERY nice geometry on both bikes and solid quality, you can't go wrong with any of them. it drills down to sizing (see above) and color preferences i guess.

Category Winner
    Assuming you're looking at medium frames keep in mind that there is also a difference in HTA's.

Niner: 72

Spot: 71
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Thread Pollution
    and a difference in the grade of steel. my MCR I knight thee 'The Wet Noodle'
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut

One man's wet noodle is another man's compliance.

I'll take my One 9 thank you very much.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Thread Pollution
    [QUOTE=teamdicky]One man's wet noodle is another man's compliance.

I'll take my One 9 thank you very much.[/QUOT

agreed.and compliance not for me. Anything that comes close to my butt better be stiff if I'm going to ride it.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    So, does this mean the spot will handle a little better descending, but will not be as nimble? I know 29ers will have a steeper HTA than 26ers but not sure where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Assuming you're looking at medium frames keep in mind that there is also a difference in HTA's.

Niner: 72

Spot: 71

mtbr member
    Serious? You thought the frame too flexy? Isn't that the point of a steel frame?

Quote Originally Posted by makachut

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You don't want "flexy" so to speak;but rather a "less jarring" feeling over aluminum. Compiant is a great way to describe it. There should be a strong lateral stiffness too at the same time.

mtbr member
    my mcr is quite stiff laterally... it is a small frame if that makes a difference.. I have ridden a medium and it seemed much more complaiant to me

I'm just messing with you
    The MCR is 853 isn't it?

My Longboard is generic no-name steel. I'm surprised the MCR would be considered flexier than that.

The Longboard does have a delta-shaped downtube, which may help with stiffness.

I haven't noticed flex, but that doesn't mean it's not there. With 30psi in the tires and 100 inches of travel, of course it feels compliant..
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Serious? You thought the frame too flexy? Isn't that the point of a steel frame?
    Yep,too flexy for my 150 lb. fat arse.I like it in the horizontal but the lateral compliance messes up my mojo.Big reason why I went custome on my next steel ride.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    So, does this mean the spot will handle a little better descending, but will not be as nimble? I know 29ers will have a steeper HTA than 26ers but not sure where you want to be.

In a nutshell, yes.

This is a matter of personal preference though, and it can be affected by fork choice.

I've never ridden the Longboard, so I can't speak to its performance. My current One9 is a small and has a slacker HTA (71.5), but my MOOTS was designed similarly to the medium Niner geometry (I had owned a medium One9 in the past), and I loved it going up or down.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Tattooed Scumbag
    niner geo is spot on....I have had several Niners and they handle really well, not to mention their customer service is second to none in my opinion
    If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I rode an XL Spot and thought it was much stiffer than a large Sir9 as well as too big for me. Maybe Spot uses size specific tubing and the XL's are stiffer?
    Either way I like the lively steel feel and went with a Sir9.
    2 wheels

Members who have read this thread: 0