Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100

Could be competition for Yeti SB100. I have a SB100 and Mayhem. Ryve geo looks damn good against Yeti.

https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...ts/ryve-115-29

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    But they don't offer frame only. I was waiting to see what Ibis comes out with, but this just got added to the list with the Sniper and Signal Peak if I can get a frame only.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    But they don't offer frame only. I was waiting to see what Ibis comes out with, but this just got added to the list with the Sniper and Signal Peak if I can get a frame only.
    There is a frame only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Frame only is an option in the build kit list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wonder how the different shock placement will change the living link performance because it is different than the Mayhem or the new 150.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I wonder how the different shock placement will change the living link performance because it is different than the Mayhem or the new 150.

Was thinking the same thing. This release now throws a monkey wrench in my decisions. I wonder why they didn’t put the fork at 130. Maybe then it would be too much overlap with the mayhem. This bike goes up against the Giant Trance 29 Adv Pro for me. As well as the Yeti, Intense, and Fezzari Signal Peak.

Rocks belong
    21" and 19" seat tube length on XL and Large frames? Get outta here
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Love it, was thinking mayhem but never pulled trigger as there was too much overlap with mu daily ripper. Now this bike is another story for all day rides. Would def set fork at 130 if spot approves. Now just to wait what ibis has to say.

mtbr member
    I’ve been waiting for this 115. SOLID!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like another solid option in the short travel category. It’s about an inch longer reach than the mayhem and steeper seat tube angle. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is that a water bottle cage under the downtube?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Frame only is an option in the build kit list.
    I was looking under build kits,, didn't try adding to cart.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I would love to try one of these out. Looks like my. Kind of trail bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at the spec sheet for the 5 star they spec’d out 780mm bars on this bike but only put 760mm on the Mayhem.....why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Looks like another solid option in the short travel category. It’s about an inch longer reach than the mayhem and steeper seat tube angle. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Looking at the spec sheet for the 5 star they spec’d out 780mm bars on this bike but only put 760mm on the Mayhem.....why?
    When I saw the geo chart I wondered: is there an updated Mayhem coming??? (I think the 115 is a better option for me....but new bikes are good &#128513

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The shock change is interesting. I wonder if they made this change to help the bike handle chatter better. really one of the only complaints that I've heard regarding the Mayhem is its ability to handle chatter.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I found the mayhem to handle chatter extremely well. The mayhem is lucky with shock setting though. If you don't get it dialed, it doesn't ride great. When it's dialed, it's dialed. My rollik 150 is a lot less picky about shock pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Santa Cruz went to this shock design on the new mega tower and said it was going to do it on all their bikes for improved performance etc. wouldn’t surprise me if a new mayhem is released with some tweaks, new shock placement, maybe sram g2 brakes, an AXS build option, a XTR build, wider bars, etc.

@hardtail party... maybe they will send you a Ryve 115 for review. It will be great since you already did such thorough reviews on the Rollik and the mayhem.
    Last edited by cue003; 04-06-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I wonder how they can justify 3k for a frame being direct sales. Fezzari Signal Peak is 800$ less. Makes the decision easy for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    True, but the Signal Peak and the spot frame are apples and oranges. The intense sniper is in the same class yet five to six hundred dollars less.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Have you ridden the Signal Peak?

mtbr member
    They looked good until I checked the seat tube lengths. Why so long?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012

@hardtail party... maybe they will send you a Ryve 115 for review. It will be great since you already did such thorough reviews on the Rollik and the mayhem.

Man, that would be a dream come true.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm all for sticking to a budget, but frames are the heart and soul of a bike. You can swap everything else later. There a lot of bikes with similar travel and geo numbers that ride extremely different. If I'm going to spend $4k+ on a bike, I don't mind spendibg a little bit more for the spot and get the living link suspension. I've never ridden anything like it. It's extremely unique.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    Have you ridden the Signal Peak?
    Finally did, yes, after passing through Utah. The SP was on my list due to price, 2 bottles, etc. It's not the fast point and shoot XC awesome climbing frame I had hoped it'd be, and several owners on mtbr's reports are similar to mine. It's not as quick or fast as the much more expensive SB100 that has similar weight. The new Spot is an ultra lightweight uber efficient XC and long distance race bike per their marketing and press releases. Like the Sniper. Like the Oiz, et al. The SP is a nice bike, just not what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    $300 off for following on social media.

mtbr member
    Waiting for ride reports. Been searching for the perfect “all day/every day” plus marathon race bike (50k-100mi). I’m 75.5”/215 (geared)....anyone have ny input?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think the reason you're seeing these lightweight trail bikes come with 120 forks is that the Fox Step Cast forks max out at that length. There's a half pound weight penalty for going to the 130mm forks from a Step Cast.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brr7 View Post
    I think the reason you're seeing these lightweight trail bikes come with 120 forks is that the Fox Step Cast forks max out at that length. There's a half pound weight penalty for going to the 130mm forks from a Step Cast.
    I wasn’t aware the Fox step cast tops out at 120mm. They could have looked at Rockshox 2020 lineup but Spot appears to be loyal to Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wondering if it's the same rear shock AND 4 digit Fox shock tune ID with a spacer removed to get the 115 travel. Intense does it with their Sniper to get a 100XC and 120Trail, but the 100 is really 108mm per Intense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ohhhh, looks good. I wish the XL had a higher stack height, but other than that I'm liking this....will be watching this and Ibis to see if they come out with something similar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    This just shot to the top of my list. Love the long reach and steeper seat tube on the XL. Hoping those are a second set of bottle bosses under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Think the fox shock ID is DT94, but it comes up with nothing on the Fox site. Tried blowing pic up, but the last digit or letter isn't clear. Or Fox doesn't have the Ryve's info up yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kriedel View Post
    This just shot to the top of my list. Love the long reach and steeper seat tube on the XL. Hoping those are a second set of bottle bosses under the down tube.
    Ditto. Why would Spot market the 115 as the ultimate marathon bike....with only 1 bottle option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Ditto. Why would Spot market the 115 as the ultimate marathon bike....with only 1 bottle option.
    You can see the first set off bosses on the down tube. Granted to me it would have more sense on the bottom of the top tube so it was within better reach and not getting all the crap from the front wheel.
    Plenty of space there.
    Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100-spot_ryve_115_29_mountain_bike_red_1024x1024.jpg
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You can see the first set off bosses on the down tube. Granted to me it would have more sense on the bottom of the top tube so it was within better reach and not getting all the crap from the front wheel.
    Plenty of space there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spot_Ryve_115_29_Mountain_Bike_Red_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	1245959
    Couldn't tell by that pic. Looks like downtube pad protector bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Rear travel should be 120mm in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Rear travel should be 120mm in my opinion.
    If my totally wild azz guess of the 100 and 120 being the same shock but with a spacer removed, it can't be 120 because most short travel bikes ala Intense Sniper give about 12 to 15mm travel difference with spacer removed. The Sniper 100 is actually 108mm and while no one has measured actual on the Sniper 120, the 12mm difference ties into the Ryve 100 and 115 travel amounts perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I should have been more specific...rear travel on Ryve 115 should have been 120mm in my opinion.

Then again...Maybe I'm just splitting hairs. 120mm gives you 3/16" more travel. Not a big jump and may not make a noticeable difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My coworker emailed Spot. They said: Two bottle cages. Two different shocks (no spacer presumption). Same frame. May still ship date. At 5'10" my coworker would ride a large. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Opinions on 4-star vs. 5-star? ...assuming you don't care about the wheels (b/c you'll be putting carbon hoops on it anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the 6 star Sram axs build is a great deal compared to most other brands top level. If you add up all the components and take a 20% discount(which you would not get on most all of those parts anyways), it adds up to $7500 retail($6000 at the 20% off) so the frame is only costing $2000 if you could get the discount on the components($500 at retail on the components) I was waiting to see if Yeti sorted out the sb100 or what the new ibis ripley or new santa cruz tallboy would become but this bike is making it hard to wait.
    2019 yeti sb100

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Both 4 and 5 star builds are fantastic. Same fork, frame, and shock, so it just comes down to whether or not the weight savings (and perhaps the status of having a higher end groupo) is worth the extra cost to you.

I have a 6 star SPOT (not a ryve), and it's a gorgeous bike, but if I were to get another one it'd be a 4 star. Apart from the shifter, I can't feel a performance difference between GX and XX1. To me, a GX derailleur with an XX1 shifter feels identical toan xx1 derailleur. You'll notice the weight difference on the rear cassette and the cranks, but performance wise, I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference blindfolded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I think the 5 star bumps you up to fox factory fork/shock which is a pretty significant upgrade. To someone who just wants to set and forget and not tune with the additional settings, it's likely not a big deal though.

x01 derailleur and x1 crank isn't going to make a big difference but the enve handlebar is nice I'm sure. I'm not too familiar with sram brakes so don't know if TL vs TLM is a big deal.

With the 4 star, you're still getting RF Turbine stem/bars, Bikeyoke dropper, full GX eagle and about $1000 saved to put toward wheels since it sounds like you plan on replacing them anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some can argue that the weight saved on the overall bike by upgrading the wheels (rotational mass) is better than using the same spend to save weight on the bike components (Gx to X01 or fox performance to fox factory).

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I think the 5 star bumps you up to fox factory fork/shock which is a pretty significant upgrade.
    The grip 2 damper is nice on the 5 star fork, but the shocks are identical except for color. in my experience, Kashima does nothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    The grip 2 damper is nice on the 5 star fork, but the shocks are identical except for color. in my experience, Kashima does nothing.
    I know what you're saying about the performance elite and factory stuff being identical except for the kashima which I agree is a silly marketing upgrade. But the 5 star comes with the factory 34 step cast which has the Fit4 damper and adds low speed compression adjustment. The 4 star comes with the performance fork and Grip 1 damper which is still quite nice.

The Grip 2 is only available on the 36's on the Mayhem and Rollik (at least as of now), not the 34's that are offered on the Ryve. I really just wanted to help out the original guy who asked but typing all this out... sheesh, Fox sure does make it confusing for people.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected. I'm less familiar with the step cast stuff. Yeah, they don't make it easy, do they? Too bad they don't put the grip 2 damper in the 34s yet. That being said, the fit 4 damper has been flawless for me, as well as the grip 1 damper.

If I were on a budget, I'd get the 4star and be super happy with it. If weight mattered more than cost savings, I'd go for the 5 or 6 star. It's a win - win. This bike looks like a rocket. I'm excited to hear from some people who have ridden it. I love thet the head angle is what it is, and that the chainstays aren't a mile long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah, this looks like a pretty soft launch with no media ride reports. I guess they just wanted to get the announcement out before Sea Otter which makes sense. Hopefully demos are available and we get some ride reports.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Wondering if it's the same rear shock AND 4 digit Fox shock tune ID with a spacer removed to get the 115 travel. Intense does it with their Sniper to get a 100XC and 120Trail, but the 100 is really 108mm per Intense.
    Another way of doing it might be like Orbea does with the new Oiz. The race and TR model have the same frame & same eye-to-eye shocks but the TR shock has 5mm more stroke.

Wish the 34 stepcast had a 130mm option.

I'm really liking this trend of race/racey bikes with +20mm travel. Was considering the Oiz TR but somewhat skeptical of single pivot. The Oiz, Scott Spark, etc. all come with lockout levers standard. I'd rather have a fully that has an efficient rear end design to begin with. Plus the Ryve linkage/bb cluster looks quite solid compared to the Oiz.

Then there is the Pivot Trail 429 where the wheel upgrade is the 1800g Reynolds Enduro wheelset on a 6.5+ lb frame (28 lbs XTR no pedals). So it looks more like a shorter travel enduro bike vs a mid travel xc/trail bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    new Spot looks amazing. 429 just needs more travel for what it is lol.

Living the Dream
    Hi, do you know how to get the 20% off 6 star build? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Hi, do you know how to get the 20% off 6 star build? Thanks
    He was adding up the cost vs package pricing. But to get 20% off you'd have to wait til Black Friday. Spot has (had) some attractive pricing specials.

mtbr member
    He was adding up the cost vs package pricing. But to get 20% off you'd have to wait til Black Friday. Spot has (had) some attractive pricing specials.
    Haven't they had a Memorial Day special too? If that's true, that would be great timing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm new the Spot brand so I don't know what their pre Black Friday marketing is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    go to the website and click get discount in lower right corner. $300 off

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have been eyeing up the Mayhem to purchase this summer then this bike came along and I was interested in the 115 until I saw it has a PF BB. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I have been eyeing up the Mayhem as purchase this summer then this bike came along and I was interested until I saw it has a PF BB.
    One of the reasons I'm holding off any decision until Ibis announcement.
    OG Ripley v2
    Ripley v4

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    One of the reasons I'm holding off any decision until Ibis announcement.
    exactly, high hopes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Was spot past Memorial Day sale only on the 6* build at 20% or was it on all builds?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Edit: The Signal Peak is clearly in the same category as the Sniper, the Blur, but NOT the new Spot; that Spot is a bit less burly than it appears (see video)

Granted, it's nice to be excited about a new bike, but the Spot bike is just that: New. So being new, that bike is nothing but heresay and eye candy until it's been ridden and tested.

At 3k for a frame, the Spot has a lot of competition, so it really needs to be something special. The Signal Peak and the Sniper are comparable in price $2k-2.2k, so to for folks looking for bargain, those bikes stand apart from the Spot.

I find the Signal Peak to be a very able climber, stiff frame, lightweight, very much point and shoot, as well as being an efficient climber and a solid descender. Though I'm not an XC rider per se, I do a lot of climbing and I plan to use the Signal Peak for endurance riding.

What I like about the Signal Peak is that it works for all around use, it's not cowed by a technical downhill, not overwhelmed by a heavy rider flogging it on trails that are better suited for an enduro bike. I'm 200# and I am used to riding an enduro bike.

So there you go, a solid bit of feedback for you and others on the Signal Peak that I've used as a daily driver for a couple months.

Finally did, yes, after passing through Utah. The SP was on my list due to price, 2 bottles, etc. It's not the fast point and shoot XC awesome climbing frame I had hoped it'd be, and several owners on mtbr's reports are similar to mine. It's not as quick or fast as the much more expensive SB100 that has similar weight. The new Spot is an ultra lightweight uber efficient XC and long distance race bike per their marketing and press releases. Like the Sniper. Like the Oiz, et al. The SP is a nice bike, just not what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 04-11-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Watched a video of the Spot 100/115 breaking apart off a minor drop, scary!
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ouch!

I’m thinking this bike may not be all that 🙄

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...utturt.280098/
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Ouch!

I’m thinking this bike may not be all that 🙄

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...utturt.280098/
    That was a year ago, right?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    That was a year ago, right?
    I saw that video and yes that was a year ago on their Rollik platform and they have made design changes to the platform when they introduced the Rollik 150 from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    got this in my email this morning. looks a lot like ryve with bit more travell and less living link susp design.

https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-full...2019_p118.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I saw that video and yes that was a year ago on their Rollik platform and they have made design changes to the platform when they introduced the Rollik 150 from what I understand.
    And that dude didn't have enough air in his shock. User error not frame failure in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That video just won’t die. The broken frame was the result of an out of spec rocker link that allowed it to contact the frame at full compression. Spot sent out new links to Rollik owners and then completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. Problem has been addressed.

mtbr member
    I would like to demo this bike and feel what the living link is all about. Spot bikes/demos are hard to come by in So Cal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I would like to demo this bike and feel what the living link is all about. Spot bikes/demos are hard to come by in So Cal.
    Between the Mayhem thread in this forum and numerous online reviews...there is plenty out there about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    got this in my email this morning. looks a lot like ryve with bit more travell and less living link susp design.

https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-full...2019_p118.html
    In other words: totally different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ah, a true believer in our midst.

Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    That video just won’t die. The broken frame was the result of an out of spec rocker link that allowed it to contact the frame at full compression. Spot sent out new links to Rollik owners and then completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. Problem has been addressed.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ah, a true believer in our midst.
    Has nothing to do with being a true believer. That's just what happened. I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end. That said, I do find it amusing that every time some one mentions Spot this video comes up. Like other bikes don't break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i would say it comes up because it wasnt due to bike abuse but clearly a design flaw. i do remember seeing another rollik break too, some small chubby dude broke his at the very same spot. i certainly hope my mayhem doesnt have any design flaws like this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchRider View Post
    Another way of doing it might be like Orbea does with the new Oiz. The race and TR model have the same frame & same eye-to-eye shocks but the TR shock has 5mm more stroke.

Wish the 34 stepcast had a 130mm option.

I'm really liking this trend of race/racey bikes with +20mm travel. Was considering the Oiz TR but somewhat skeptical of single pivot. The Oiz, Scott Spark, etc. all come with lockout levers standard. I'd rather have a fully that has an efficient rear end design to begin with. Plus the Ryve linkage/bb cluster looks quite solid compared to the Oiz.

Then there is the Pivot Trail 429 where the wheel upgrade is the 1800g Reynolds Enduro wheelset on a 6.5+ lb frame (28 lbs XTR no pedals). So it looks more like a shorter travel enduro bike vs a mid travel xc/trail bike.
    Skeptical of a Single Pivot? In what way. I have the ultimate single pivot in my Orange Stage 4 and that bike rips both up and down.

I also have a new OIZ XC which obviously has the lockout but pedals just fine in the open setting. I would actually give the Orange the win in suspension performance, but I like that my 20.5lb OZ is about 3 pounds less.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end.
    Piss poor is an understatement. I don't think they could have possibly handled it in a worse way.
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Piss poor is an understatement. I don't think they could have possibly handled it in a worse way.
    Yep, agreed. After the issue was discovered they also could have done a much better job explaining exactly what happened and what they were doing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go watch the video, beginning to end, then read all the comments. If the crash doesn’t make you gut clinch a little, I’d be surprised. I know shite breaks, but breaking a frame is not the same as a frame failure causing a horrific crash. The rider got lucky. Spot deserves 100% of the blame. And to be fair, there are other bike mfgs who’ve had similar failures, like Salsa’s Bucksaw. I wouldn’t buy a Bucksaw for this reason, nor would I buy a Spot.

Has nothing to do with being a true believer. That's just what happened. I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end. That said, I do find it amusing that every time some one mentions Spot this video comes up. Like other bikes don't break.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Living the Dream
    Hi, what exactly was the final issue, if you don't mind explaining? I remember the comments regarding the underinflated shock, but I don't think I ever heard a follow up or fix that was done. Thanks again.
    Yep, agreed. After the issue was discovered they also could have done a much better job explaining exactly what happened and what they were doing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100

Go watch the video, beginning to end, then read all the comments. If the crash doesn’t make you gut clinch a little, I’d be surprised. I know shite breaks, but breaking a frame is not the same as a frame failure causing a horrific crash. The rider got lucky. Spot deserves 100% of the blame. And to be fair, there are other bike mfgs who’ve had similar failures, like Salsa’s Bucksaw. I wouldn’t buy a Bucksaw for this reason, nor would I buy a Spot.
    Oh I did watch the video and the resulting PR shit show that commenced in the comments. Obviously it never should have happened, and Spot handled it poorly. It definitely gave me pause as I had purchased a Mayhem just before this all went down. But, unlike a lot of keyboard warriors, I actually emailed Spot and the guide (smmokan on this forum) and asked what happened. While their initial public response was botched, they did fix the problem. I have close to 2000 trouble free miles on my Mayhem and after my conversations with Spot, I'm not in the least bit concerned that I will have a frame failure in the same way Alex did. In addition to all of this, every interaction I've had with Spot over the last year and a half has been overwhelmingly positive. If you will only buy bikes from companies that have never had a frame failure... well, I wish you luck with that.
    Last edited by ripn; 04-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Living the Dream
    Which suspension platform do you prefer between the spot and yeti? Thanks
    Could be competition for Yeti SB100. I have a SB100 and Mayhem. Ryve geo looks damn good against Yeti.

https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...ts/ryve-115-29

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Which suspension platform do you prefer between the spot and yeti? Thanks
    I don't think I can answer that question if you are asking SB100 vs Ryve. The Ryve could be totally different than the Mayhem. My only issue with the Mayhem likely will ruffle some feathers. The high anti squat wears on my over long technical rides. Essentially it pedals so well and anti squat is so high, you are constantly lifting your body up and over obstacles. It wears me down. The Yeti is more active and relieves this a bit. I run a 30T front chain ring. Maybe it would be different if I ran a larger ring on the Spot. On flat and less tech runs, the Spot is likely better

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Exactly my observations. When it comes to techy, the living link is so efficient that it becomes its own doom. I prefer living link to dw link in terms of efficiency, but for all mountain ridin that involves all type of terrain, it can not match dw overall

Living the Dream
    Thanks. That is what I was looking for. SB100 vs Mayhem.
    I don't think I can answer that question if you are asking SB100 vs Ryve. The Ryve could be totally different than the Mayhem. My only issue with the Mayhem likely will ruffle some feathers. The high anti squat wears on my over long technical rides. Essentially it pedals so well and anti squat is so high, you are constantly lifting your body up and over obstacles. It wears me down. The Yeti is more active and relieves this a bit. I run a 30T front chain ring. Maybe it would be different if I ran a larger ring on the Spot. On flat and less tech runs, the Spot is likely better

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks. That is what I was looking for. SB100 vs Mayhem.
    Let me clarify that I ride east coast singletrack with loads of roots and rocks, punch climbs. We also have flowy smooth trails and trails that are rock and tech nightmares. On short rides either will work. On longer rides 10+ miles, I prefer the SB100 on the more tech trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi, what exactly was the final issue, if you don't mind explaining? I remember the comments regarding the underinflated shock, but I don't think I ever heard a follow up or fix that was done. Thanks again.
    It was an out of spec rocker link. At full compression the rocker link would hit the frame. A couple of hard impacts and the frame cracked. Spot sent out revised rocker links with more clearance to Rollik owners and then subsequently completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. This was only on the Rollik, the Mayhem wasn't effected.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    Exactly my observations. When it comes to techy, the living link is so efficient that it becomes its own doom. I prefer living link to dw link in terms of efficiency, but for all mountain ridin that involves all type of terrain, it can not match dw overall
    Interesting observations on the living link. Definitely something to keep in mind. Is it a comfort thing? As in do you think you will adjust? Or wil different shock/fork settings alleviate some/all of “problem”.
    Last edited by cue003; 04-13-2019 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    another mishap, but from 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUiK8WnWRZ/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    another mishap, but from 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUiK8WnWRZ/
    Ouch.. but yep 2017 timeframe and looks to be prototype Rollik 557.

mtbr member
    Saw the Ryve at Sea Otter today. Its a pretty good looking bike on person. Too bad the bikes were fixed to bike stands. Kind of a shame that you couldn't throw a leg over it or pedal it around like some of the other bikes that were there. My GF is looking for a 120mm bike. This is one that she is considering.

mtbr member
    I did a brief parking lot test ride on the Spot Ryve! I love it - planning to get one. I was waiting for Ibis but tired of waiting. I had great conversations with Spot at the Sea Otter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I did a brief parking lot test ride on the Spot Ryve! I love it - planning to get one. I was waiting for Ibis but tired of waiting. I had great conversations with Spot at the Sea Otter!
    You should wait a week or so.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like Norco is joining the 1 frame 2 bike party with a 100 and 120mm coming in June.

https://forums.mtbr.com/norco/new-20...a-1101201.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Don't know if anyone cares, but the 100's will be shipping with the new stiffer Fox 32.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ordered a 6-star build (Shimano) 115, start getting some time in on it in May I suppose. Have a Mayhem build with 150mm, 36 fork and dpx2, running 2.5 DHF's, was looking for an all day XC/Trail bike (SB100) just when the Ryve popped out. Super stoked on this if the Mayhem is anything to go by!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Congrats, it sounds like an awesome bike. I hope I get to throw a leg over one soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Skeptical of a Single Pivot? In what way. I have the ultimate single pivot in my Orange Stage 4 and that bike rips both up and down.

I also have a new OIZ XC which obviously has the lockout but pedals just fine in the open setting. I would actually give the Orange the win in suspension performance, but I like that my 20.5lb OZ is about 3 pounds less.
    I had a Scott Sparka few years ago and now have a Pivot Mach 4. The Pivot pedals worlds better. The Scott i wanted/needed to use the included lock out to reduce the bobbing. Maybe Scott is better now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The new Scott are night and day better than the Scotts from just three years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What are folks experience with the long reach and step seat angle bikes?

I ride a large pivot Mach 4 with 130mm fork. The seat angle is fairly relaxed (but I've moved the seat forward) and the reach is 424mm and i run an 80mm stem. A large Ryve has 470mm reach. So with the spec'd 60mm stem I'm still looking at ~24mm more reach... This has me thinking about getting a medium Ryve instead.

I demoed a large Trail 429 and it felt fine but the Ryve is even longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The new Scott are night and day better than the Scotts from just three years ago.
    In what ways?

The Spark changed from the swing link to a rocker but otherwise its still a single pivot that comes with a remote lockout.

Is the damper tune improved?

I just recall that in order for the single pivots to pedal better they come with high compression tunes.

The longer travel single pivots that Canondale and Scott have made have come with funky proprietary shocks as work-arounds to the kinematics.

Whereas the dual link (dw, vpp) come with medium damping tunes and pedal well while being supportive and responsive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast