Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100

Could be competition for Yeti SB100. I have a SB100 and Mayhem. Ryve geo looks damn good against Yeti.

https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...ts/ryve-115-29

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    But they don't offer frame only. I was waiting to see what Ibis comes out with, but this just got added to the list with the Sniper and Signal Peak if I can get a frame only.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    But they don't offer frame only. I was waiting to see what Ibis comes out with, but this just got added to the list with the Sniper and Signal Peak if I can get a frame only.
    There is a frame only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Frame only is an option in the build kit list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wonder how the different shock placement will change the living link performance because it is different than the Mayhem or the new 150.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I wonder how the different shock placement will change the living link performance because it is different than the Mayhem or the new 150.

Was thinking the same thing. This release now throws a monkey wrench in my decisions. I wonder why they didn’t put the fork at 130. Maybe then it would be too much overlap with the mayhem. This bike goes up against the Giant Trance 29 Adv Pro for me. As well as the Yeti, Intense, and Fezzari Signal Peak.

Rocks belong
    21" and 19" seat tube length on XL and Large frames? Get outta here
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Love it, was thinking mayhem but never pulled trigger as there was too much overlap with mu daily ripper. Now this bike is another story for all day rides. Would def set fork at 130 if spot approves. Now just to wait what ibis has to say.

mtbr member
    I’ve been waiting for this 115. SOLID!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like another solid option in the short travel category. It’s about an inch longer reach than the mayhem and steeper seat tube angle. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is that a water bottle cage under the downtube?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Frame only is an option in the build kit list.
    I was looking under build kits,, didn't try adding to cart.
    Ripley LS v3

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I would love to try one of these out. Looks like my. Kind of trail bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at the spec sheet for the 5 star they spec’d out 780mm bars on this bike but only put 760mm on the Mayhem.....why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Looks like another solid option in the short travel category. It’s about an inch longer reach than the mayhem and steeper seat tube angle. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Looking at the spec sheet for the 5 star they spec’d out 780mm bars on this bike but only put 760mm on the Mayhem.....why?
    When I saw the geo chart I wondered: is there an updated Mayhem coming??? (I think the 115 is a better option for me....but new bikes are good &#128513

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The shock change is interesting. I wonder if they made this change to help the bike handle chatter better. really one of the only complaints that I've heard regarding the Mayhem is its ability to handle chatter.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I found the mayhem to handle chatter extremely well. The mayhem is lucky with shock setting though. If you don't get it dialed, it doesn't ride great. When it's dialed, it's dialed. My rollik 150 is a lot less picky about shock pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Santa Cruz went to this shock design on the new mega tower and said it was going to do it on all their bikes for improved performance etc. wouldn’t surprise me if a new mayhem is released with some tweaks, new shock placement, maybe sram g2 brakes, an AXS build option, a XTR build, wider bars, etc.

@hardtail party... maybe they will send you a Ryve 115 for review. It will be great since you already did such thorough reviews on the Rollik and the mayhem.
    Last edited by cue003; 04-06-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I wonder how they can justify 3k for a frame being direct sales. Fezzari Signal Peak is 800$ less. Makes the decision easy for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    True, but the Signal Peak and the spot frame are apples and oranges. The intense sniper is in the same class yet five to six hundred dollars less.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Have you ridden the Signal Peak?

mtbr member
    They looked good until I checked the seat tube lengths. Why so long?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012

@hardtail party... maybe they will send you a Ryve 115 for review. It will be great since you already did such thorough reviews on the Rollik and the mayhem.

Man, that would be a dream come true.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm all for sticking to a budget, but frames are the heart and soul of a bike. You can swap everything else later. There a lot of bikes with similar travel and geo numbers that ride extremely different. If I'm going to spend $4k+ on a bike, I don't mind spendibg a little bit more for the spot and get the living link suspension. I've never ridden anything like it. It's extremely unique.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    Have you ridden the Signal Peak?
    Finally did, yes, after passing through Utah. The SP was on my list due to price, 2 bottles, etc. It's not the fast point and shoot XC awesome climbing frame I had hoped it'd be, and several owners on mtbr's reports are similar to mine. It's not as quick or fast as the much more expensive SB100 that has similar weight. The new Spot is an ultra lightweight uber efficient XC and long distance race bike per their marketing and press releases. Like the Sniper. Like the Oiz, et al. The SP is a nice bike, just not what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    $300 off for following on social media.

mtbr member
    Waiting for ride reports. Been searching for the perfect “all day/every day” plus marathon race bike (50k-100mi). I’m 75.5”/215 (geared)....anyone have ny input?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think the reason you're seeing these lightweight trail bikes come with 120 forks is that the Fox Step Cast forks max out at that length. There's a half pound weight penalty for going to the 130mm forks from a Step Cast.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brr7 View Post
    I think the reason you're seeing these lightweight trail bikes come with 120 forks is that the Fox Step Cast forks max out at that length. There's a half pound weight penalty for going to the 130mm forks from a Step Cast.
    I wasn’t aware the Fox step cast tops out at 120mm. They could have looked at Rockshox 2020 lineup but Spot appears to be loyal to Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wondering if it's the same rear shock AND 4 digit Fox shock tune ID with a spacer removed to get the 115 travel. Intense does it with their Sniper to get a 100XC and 120Trail, but the 100 is really 108mm per Intense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ohhhh, looks good. I wish the XL had a higher stack height, but other than that I'm liking this....will be watching this and Ibis to see if they come out with something similar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    This just shot to the top of my list. Love the long reach and steeper seat tube on the XL. Hoping those are a second set of bottle bosses under the down tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Think the fox shock ID is DT94, but it comes up with nothing on the Fox site. Tried blowing pic up, but the last digit or letter isn't clear. Or Fox doesn't have the Ryve's info up yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kriedel View Post
    This just shot to the top of my list. Love the long reach and steeper seat tube on the XL. Hoping those are a second set of bottle bosses under the down tube.
    Ditto. Why would Spot market the 115 as the ultimate marathon bike....with only 1 bottle option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Ditto. Why would Spot market the 115 as the ultimate marathon bike....with only 1 bottle option.
    You can see the first set off bosses on the down tube. Granted to me it would have more sense on the bottom of the top tube so it was within better reach and not getting all the crap from the front wheel.
    Plenty of space there.
    Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100-spot_ryve_115_29_mountain_bike_red_1024x1024.jpg
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You can see the first set off bosses on the down tube. Granted to me it would have more sense on the bottom of the top tube so it was within better reach and not getting all the crap from the front wheel.
    Plenty of space there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spot_Ryve_115_29_Mountain_Bike_Red_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	1245959
    Couldn't tell by that pic. Looks like downtube pad protector bolts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Rear travel should be 120mm in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Rear travel should be 120mm in my opinion.
    If my totally wild azz guess of the 100 and 120 being the same shock but with a spacer removed, it can't be 120 because most short travel bikes ala Intense Sniper give about 12 to 15mm travel difference with spacer removed. The Sniper 100 is actually 108mm and while no one has measured actual on the Sniper 120, the 12mm difference ties into the Ryve 100 and 115 travel amounts perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I should have been more specific...rear travel on Ryve 115 should have been 120mm in my opinion.

Then again...Maybe I'm just splitting hairs. 120mm gives you 3/16" more travel. Not a big jump and may not make a noticeable difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My coworker emailed Spot. They said: Two bottle cages. Two different shocks (no spacer presumption). Same frame. May still ship date. At 5'10" my coworker would ride a large. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Opinions on 4-star vs. 5-star? ...assuming you don't care about the wheels (b/c you'll be putting carbon hoops on it anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the 6 star Sram axs build is a great deal compared to most other brands top level. If you add up all the components and take a 20% discount(which you would not get on most all of those parts anyways), it adds up to $7500 retail($6000 at the 20% off) so the frame is only costing $2000 if you could get the discount on the components($500 at retail on the components) I was waiting to see if Yeti sorted out the sb100 or what the new ibis ripley or new santa cruz tallboy would become but this bike is making it hard to wait.
    2019 yeti sb100
    2020 Specialized epic hardtail

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Both 4 and 5 star builds are fantastic. Same fork, frame, and shock, so it just comes down to whether or not the weight savings (and perhaps the status of having a higher end groupo) is worth the extra cost to you.

I have a 6 star SPOT (not a ryve), and it's a gorgeous bike, but if I were to get another one it'd be a 4 star. Apart from the shifter, I can't feel a performance difference between GX and XX1. To me, a GX derailleur with an XX1 shifter feels identical toan xx1 derailleur. You'll notice the weight difference on the rear cassette and the cranks, but performance wise, I doubt most people would be able to tell the difference blindfolded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I think the 5 star bumps you up to fox factory fork/shock which is a pretty significant upgrade. To someone who just wants to set and forget and not tune with the additional settings, it's likely not a big deal though.

x01 derailleur and x1 crank isn't going to make a big difference but the enve handlebar is nice I'm sure. I'm not too familiar with sram brakes so don't know if TL vs TLM is a big deal.

With the 4 star, you're still getting RF Turbine stem/bars, Bikeyoke dropper, full GX eagle and about $1000 saved to put toward wheels since it sounds like you plan on replacing them anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some can argue that the weight saved on the overall bike by upgrading the wheels (rotational mass) is better than using the same spend to save weight on the bike components (Gx to X01 or fox performance to fox factory).

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I think the 5 star bumps you up to fox factory fork/shock which is a pretty significant upgrade.
    The grip 2 damper is nice on the 5 star fork, but the shocks are identical except for color. in my experience, Kashima does nothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    The grip 2 damper is nice on the 5 star fork, but the shocks are identical except for color. in my experience, Kashima does nothing.
    I know what you're saying about the performance elite and factory stuff being identical except for the kashima which I agree is a silly marketing upgrade. But the 5 star comes with the factory 34 step cast which has the Fit4 damper and adds low speed compression adjustment. The 4 star comes with the performance fork and Grip 1 damper which is still quite nice.

The Grip 2 is only available on the 36's on the Mayhem and Rollik (at least as of now), not the 34's that are offered on the Ryve. I really just wanted to help out the original guy who asked but typing all this out... sheesh, Fox sure does make it confusing for people.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected. I'm less familiar with the step cast stuff. Yeah, they don't make it easy, do they? Too bad they don't put the grip 2 damper in the 34s yet. That being said, the fit 4 damper has been flawless for me, as well as the grip 1 damper.

If I were on a budget, I'd get the 4star and be super happy with it. If weight mattered more than cost savings, I'd go for the 5 or 6 star. It's a win - win. This bike looks like a rocket. I'm excited to hear from some people who have ridden it. I love thet the head angle is what it is, and that the chainstays aren't a mile long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yeah, this looks like a pretty soft launch with no media ride reports. I guess they just wanted to get the announcement out before Sea Otter which makes sense. Hopefully demos are available and we get some ride reports.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Wondering if it's the same rear shock AND 4 digit Fox shock tune ID with a spacer removed to get the 115 travel. Intense does it with their Sniper to get a 100XC and 120Trail, but the 100 is really 108mm per Intense.
    Another way of doing it might be like Orbea does with the new Oiz. The race and TR model have the same frame & same eye-to-eye shocks but the TR shock has 5mm more stroke.

Wish the 34 stepcast had a 130mm option.

I'm really liking this trend of race/racey bikes with +20mm travel. Was considering the Oiz TR but somewhat skeptical of single pivot. The Oiz, Scott Spark, etc. all come with lockout levers standard. I'd rather have a fully that has an efficient rear end design to begin with. Plus the Ryve linkage/bb cluster looks quite solid compared to the Oiz.

Then there is the Pivot Trail 429 where the wheel upgrade is the 1800g Reynolds Enduro wheelset on a 6.5+ lb frame (28 lbs XTR no pedals). So it looks more like a shorter travel enduro bike vs a mid travel xc/trail bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    new Spot looks amazing. 429 just needs more travel for what it is lol.

Living the Dream
    Hi, do you know how to get the 20% off 6 star build? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Hi, do you know how to get the 20% off 6 star build? Thanks
    He was adding up the cost vs package pricing. But to get 20% off you'd have to wait til Black Friday. Spot has (had) some attractive pricing specials.

mtbr member
    He was adding up the cost vs package pricing. But to get 20% off you'd have to wait til Black Friday. Spot has (had) some attractive pricing specials.
    Haven't they had a Memorial Day special too? If that's true, that would be great timing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm new the Spot brand so I don't know what their pre Black Friday marketing is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    go to the website and click get discount in lower right corner. $300 off

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have been eyeing up the Mayhem to purchase this summer then this bike came along and I was interested in the 115 until I saw it has a PF BB. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have been eyeing up the Mayhem as purchase this summer then this bike came along and I was interested until I saw it has a PF BB.
    One of the reasons I'm holding off any decision until Ibis announcement.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    One of the reasons I'm holding off any decision until Ibis announcement.
    exactly, high hopes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Was spot past Memorial Day sale only on the 6* build at 20% or was it on all builds?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Edit: The Signal Peak is clearly in the same category as the Sniper, the Blur, but NOT the new Spot; that Spot is a bit less burly than it appears (see video)

Granted, it's nice to be excited about a new bike, but the Spot bike is just that: New. So being new, that bike is nothing but heresay and eye candy until it's been ridden and tested.

At 3k for a frame, the Spot has a lot of competition, so it really needs to be something special. The Signal Peak and the Sniper are comparable in price $2k-2.2k, so to for folks looking for bargain, those bikes stand apart from the Spot.

I find the Signal Peak to be a very able climber, stiff frame, lightweight, very much point and shoot, as well as being an efficient climber and a solid descender. Though I'm not an XC rider per se, I do a lot of climbing and I plan to use the Signal Peak for endurance riding.

What I like about the Signal Peak is that it works for all around use, it's not cowed by a technical downhill, not overwhelmed by a heavy rider flogging it on trails that are better suited for an enduro bike. I'm 200# and I am used to riding an enduro bike.

So there you go, a solid bit of feedback for you and others on the Signal Peak that I've used as a daily driver for a couple months.

Finally did, yes, after passing through Utah. The SP was on my list due to price, 2 bottles, etc. It's not the fast point and shoot XC awesome climbing frame I had hoped it'd be, and several owners on mtbr's reports are similar to mine. It's not as quick or fast as the much more expensive SB100 that has similar weight. The new Spot is an ultra lightweight uber efficient XC and long distance race bike per their marketing and press releases. Like the Sniper. Like the Oiz, et al. The SP is a nice bike, just not what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 04-11-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Watched a video of the Spot 100/115 breaking apart off a minor drop, scary!
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ouch!

I’m thinking this bike may not be all that 🙄

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...utturt.280098/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Ouch!

I’m thinking this bike may not be all that 🙄

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...utturt.280098/
    That was a year ago, right?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    That was a year ago, right?
    I saw that video and yes that was a year ago on their Rollik platform and they have made design changes to the platform when they introduced the Rollik 150 from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    got this in my email this morning. looks a lot like ryve with bit more travell and less living link susp design.

https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-full...2019_p118.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I saw that video and yes that was a year ago on their Rollik platform and they have made design changes to the platform when they introduced the Rollik 150 from what I understand.
    And that dude didn't have enough air in his shock. User error not frame failure in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That video just won’t die. The broken frame was the result of an out of spec rocker link that allowed it to contact the frame at full compression. Spot sent out new links to Rollik owners and then completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. Problem has been addressed.

mtbr member
    I would like to demo this bike and feel what the living link is all about. Spot bikes/demos are hard to come by in So Cal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I would like to demo this bike and feel what the living link is all about. Spot bikes/demos are hard to come by in So Cal.
    Between the Mayhem thread in this forum and numerous online reviews...there is plenty out there about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    got this in my email this morning. looks a lot like ryve with bit more travell and less living link susp design.

https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-full...2019_p118.html
    In other words: totally different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ah, a true believer in our midst.

Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    That video just won’t die. The broken frame was the result of an out of spec rocker link that allowed it to contact the frame at full compression. Spot sent out new links to Rollik owners and then completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. Problem has been addressed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ah, a true believer in our midst.
    Has nothing to do with being a true believer. That's just what happened. I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end. That said, I do find it amusing that every time some one mentions Spot this video comes up. Like other bikes don't break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i would say it comes up because it wasnt due to bike abuse but clearly a design flaw. i do remember seeing another rollik break too, some small chubby dude broke his at the very same spot. i certainly hope my mayhem doesnt have any design flaws like this.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchRider View Post
    Another way of doing it might be like Orbea does with the new Oiz. The race and TR model have the same frame & same eye-to-eye shocks but the TR shock has 5mm more stroke.

Wish the 34 stepcast had a 130mm option.

I'm really liking this trend of race/racey bikes with +20mm travel. Was considering the Oiz TR but somewhat skeptical of single pivot. The Oiz, Scott Spark, etc. all come with lockout levers standard. I'd rather have a fully that has an efficient rear end design to begin with. Plus the Ryve linkage/bb cluster looks quite solid compared to the Oiz.

Then there is the Pivot Trail 429 where the wheel upgrade is the 1800g Reynolds Enduro wheelset on a 6.5+ lb frame (28 lbs XTR no pedals). So it looks more like a shorter travel enduro bike vs a mid travel xc/trail bike.
    Skeptical of a Single Pivot? In what way. I have the ultimate single pivot in my Orange Stage 4 and that bike rips both up and down.

I also have a new OIZ XC which obviously has the lockout but pedals just fine in the open setting. I would actually give the Orange the win in suspension performance, but I like that my 20.5lb OZ is about 3 pounds less.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end.
    Piss poor is an understatement. I don't think they could have possibly handled it in a worse way.
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Piss poor is an understatement. I don't think they could have possibly handled it in a worse way.
    Yep, agreed. After the issue was discovered they also could have done a much better job explaining exactly what happened and what they were doing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go watch the video, beginning to end, then read all the comments. If the crash doesn’t make you gut clinch a little, I’d be surprised. I know shite breaks, but breaking a frame is not the same as a frame failure causing a horrific crash. The rider got lucky. Spot deserves 100% of the blame. And to be fair, there are other bike mfgs who’ve had similar failures, like Salsa’s Bucksaw. I wouldn’t buy a Bucksaw for this reason, nor would I buy a Spot.

Has nothing to do with being a true believer. That's just what happened. I will say Spots initial reaction to the incident was piss poor. Blaming the customer first is a horrible way to do business, especially when it turns out it was their problem in the end. That said, I do find it amusing that every time some one mentions Spot this video comes up. Like other bikes don't break.

Living the Dream
    Hi, what exactly was the final issue, if you don't mind explaining? I remember the comments regarding the underinflated shock, but I don't think I ever heard a follow up or fix that was done. Thanks again.
    Yep, agreed. After the issue was discovered they also could have done a much better job explaining exactly what happened and what they were doing to fix it.

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100

Go watch the video, beginning to end, then read all the comments. If the crash doesn’t make you gut clinch a little, I’d be surprised. I know shite breaks, but breaking a frame is not the same as a frame failure causing a horrific crash. The rider got lucky. Spot deserves 100% of the blame. And to be fair, there are other bike mfgs who’ve had similar failures, like Salsa’s Bucksaw. I wouldn’t buy a Bucksaw for this reason, nor would I buy a Spot.
    Oh I did watch the video and the resulting PR shit show that commenced in the comments. Obviously it never should have happened, and Spot handled it poorly. It definitely gave me pause as I had purchased a Mayhem just before this all went down. But, unlike a lot of keyboard warriors, I actually emailed Spot and the guide (smmokan on this forum) and asked what happened. While their initial public response was botched, they did fix the problem. I have close to 2000 trouble free miles on my Mayhem and after my conversations with Spot, I'm not in the least bit concerned that I will have a frame failure in the same way Alex did. In addition to all of this, every interaction I've had with Spot over the last year and a half has been overwhelmingly positive. If you will only buy bikes from companies that have never had a frame failure... well, I wish you luck with that.
    Last edited by ripn; 04-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Living the Dream
    Which suspension platform do you prefer between the spot and yeti? Thanks
    Could be competition for Yeti SB100. I have a SB100 and Mayhem. Ryve geo looks damn good against Yeti.

https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...ts/ryve-115-29

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Which suspension platform do you prefer between the spot and yeti? Thanks
    I don't think I can answer that question if you are asking SB100 vs Ryve. The Ryve could be totally different than the Mayhem. My only issue with the Mayhem likely will ruffle some feathers. The high anti squat wears on my over long technical rides. Essentially it pedals so well and anti squat is so high, you are constantly lifting your body up and over obstacles. It wears me down. The Yeti is more active and relieves this a bit. I run a 30T front chain ring. Maybe it would be different if I ran a larger ring on the Spot. On flat and less tech runs, the Spot is likely better

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Exactly my observations. When it comes to techy, the living link is so efficient that it becomes its own doom. I prefer living link to dw link in terms of efficiency, but for all mountain ridin that involves all type of terrain, it can not match dw overall

Living the Dream
    Thanks. That is what I was looking for. SB100 vs Mayhem.
    I don't think I can answer that question if you are asking SB100 vs Ryve. The Ryve could be totally different than the Mayhem. My only issue with the Mayhem likely will ruffle some feathers. The high anti squat wears on my over long technical rides. Essentially it pedals so well and anti squat is so high, you are constantly lifting your body up and over obstacles. It wears me down. The Yeti is more active and relieves this a bit. I run a 30T front chain ring. Maybe it would be different if I ran a larger ring on the Spot. On flat and less tech runs, the Spot is likely better

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks. That is what I was looking for. SB100 vs Mayhem.
    Let me clarify that I ride east coast singletrack with loads of roots and rocks, punch climbs. We also have flowy smooth trails and trails that are rock and tech nightmares. On short rides either will work. On longer rides 10+ miles, I prefer the SB100 on the more tech trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi, what exactly was the final issue, if you don't mind explaining? I remember the comments regarding the underinflated shock, but I don't think I ever heard a follow up or fix that was done. Thanks again.
    It was an out of spec rocker link. At full compression the rocker link would hit the frame. A couple of hard impacts and the frame cracked. Spot sent out revised rocker links with more clearance to Rollik owners and then subsequently completely redesigned the rear end of the bike. This was only on the Rollik, the Mayhem wasn't effected.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Exactly my observations. When it comes to techy, the living link is so efficient that it becomes its own doom. I prefer living link to dw link in terms of efficiency, but for all mountain ridin that involves all type of terrain, it can not match dw overall
    Interesting observations on the living link. Definitely something to keep in mind. Is it a comfort thing? As in do you think you will adjust? Or wil different shock/fork settings alleviate some/all of “problem”.
    Last edited by cue003; 04-13-2019 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    another mishap, but from 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUiK8WnWRZ/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    another mishap, but from 2017

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUiK8WnWRZ/
    Ouch.. but yep 2017 timeframe and looks to be prototype Rollik 557.

mtbr member
    Saw the Ryve at Sea Otter today. Its a pretty good looking bike on person. Too bad the bikes were fixed to bike stands. Kind of a shame that you couldn't throw a leg over it or pedal it around like some of the other bikes that were there. My GF is looking for a 120mm bike. This is one that she is considering.

mtbr member
    I did a brief parking lot test ride on the Spot Ryve! I love it - planning to get one. I was waiting for Ibis but tired of waiting. I had great conversations with Spot at the Sea Otter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I did a brief parking lot test ride on the Spot Ryve! I love it - planning to get one. I was waiting for Ibis but tired of waiting. I had great conversations with Spot at the Sea Otter!
    You should wait a week or so.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like Norco is joining the 1 frame 2 bike party with a 100 and 120mm coming in June.

https://forums.mtbr.com/norco/new-20...a-1101201.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Don't know if anyone cares, but the 100's will be shipping with the new stiffer Fox 32.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ordered a 6-star build (Shimano) 115, start getting some time in on it in May I suppose. Have a Mayhem build with 150mm, 36 fork and dpx2, running 2.5 DHF's, was looking for an all day XC/Trail bike (SB100) just when the Ryve popped out. Super stoked on this if the Mayhem is anything to go by!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Congrats, it sounds like an awesome bike. I hope I get to throw a leg over one soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Skeptical of a Single Pivot? In what way. I have the ultimate single pivot in my Orange Stage 4 and that bike rips both up and down.

I also have a new OIZ XC which obviously has the lockout but pedals just fine in the open setting. I would actually give the Orange the win in suspension performance, but I like that my 20.5lb OZ is about 3 pounds less.
    I had a Scott Sparka few years ago and now have a Pivot Mach 4. The Pivot pedals worlds better. The Scott i wanted/needed to use the included lock out to reduce the bobbing. Maybe Scott is better now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The new Scott are night and day better than the Scotts from just three years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What are folks experience with the long reach and step seat angle bikes?

I ride a large pivot Mach 4 with 130mm fork. The seat angle is fairly relaxed (but I've moved the seat forward) and the reach is 424mm and i run an 80mm stem. A large Ryve has 470mm reach. So with the spec'd 60mm stem I'm still looking at ~24mm more reach... This has me thinking about getting a medium Ryve instead.

I demoed a large Trail 429 and it felt fine but the Ryve is even longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The new Scott are night and day better than the Scotts from just three years ago.
    In what ways?

The Spark changed from the swing link to a rocker but otherwise its still a single pivot that comes with a remote lockout.

Is the damper tune improved?

I just recall that in order for the single pivots to pedal better they come with high compression tunes.

The longer travel single pivots that Canondale and Scott have made have come with funky proprietary shocks as work-arounds to the kinematics.

Whereas the dual link (dw, vpp) come with medium damping tunes and pedal well while being supportive and responsive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Took the Ryve 115 (Large; XTR build) for a demo on Apex today (Golden, CO). Fantastic. I own a Mayhem and love it. The Ryve was just as fun, but in a lighter and slightly racier way. On my Mayhem I put a 70mm stem as I felt a bit cramped with the stock 60mm. With the Ryve it fit me "perfectly" as is. I felt it was a bit more of a natural fit for me...I suppose due to the slightly longer TT and the slightly slacker ST, as compared to the Mayhem. It was spry and zippy on the climbs, did well cleaning all sorts of rock features (up and down). It flew on the downhills and tracked well; very playful. Due to it being 4-5 pounds lighter than the Mayhem it felt more "airy" on the descent, but I never felt like I was losing control; tracked nicely. If I had some races lined up I'd very inclined to get this bike. Even without races I'm tempted. As always, it comes down to "need" and the bank account. Anyway, if you're looking of this type of bike (race, endurance races, light to medium trail), this should be a top contender on your list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Your size and weight? What was your demo sag settings?
    Obviously you're a Spot fan, but any shortcomings; have you ridden any bikes in the same "class" as the Ryve to compare?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaggers View Post
    Took the Ryve 115 (Large; XTR build) for a demo on Apex today (Golden, CO). Fantastic. I own a Mayhem and love it. The Ryve was just as fun, but in a lighter and slightly racier way. On my Mayhem I put a 70mm stem as I felt a bit cramped with the stock 60mm. With the Ryve it fit me "perfectly" as is. I felt it was a bit more of a natural fit for me...I suppose due to the slightly longer TT and the slightly slacker ST, as compared to the Mayhem. It was spry and zippy on the climbs, did well cleaning all sorts of rock features (up and down). It flew on the downhills and tracked well; very playful. Due to it being 4-5 pounds lighter than the Mayhem it felt more "airy" on the descent, but I never felt like I was losing control; tracked nicely. If I had some races lined up I'd very inclined to get this bike. Even without races I'm tempted. As always, it comes down to "need" and the bank account. Anyway, if you're looking of this type of bike (race, endurance races, light to medium trail), this should be a top contender on your list.
    You are tempted to get the Ryve but if you were buying today and didn’t have the Mayhem which would you choose? You can only choose one. Also what is your height and arm length, torso etc? Did you buy the Mayhem with the 70mm stem already concerned with the cockpit feeling cramped?

Any negatives to the Ryve or the Mayhem?
    Last edited by cue003; 04-24-2019 at 05:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaggers View Post
    Tell us how it worked in chatter and repetitive hits like rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Westin - I'm just shy of 6' and with gear on weigh around 170-175. I have no idea what my sag setting was as the guys at Spot set it up for me and I didn't inquire. The last bike I had that was in the class of the Ryve would be a 2017 Pivot Mach 429sl with 120mm fork (XO kit, carbon wheels). Fantastic bike. I bought it that season because I "needed" an endurance race oriented bike for a multi day adventure race. Prior to that bike I had an OG Ibis Ripley, Cannondale Scalpel, an OG Mach 429, Turner 5 Spot, Turner XCE....and I imagine one or two others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. As compared to the 2017 Mach 429, the Ryve is a bit lighter seems a tad zippier, and I like the slacker head tube angle of the Ryve....just as dexterous as the 429 but also more fun for the downhill. Also, I became a Spot fan after buying the Mayhem. Late autumn 2017 I by chance came across some reviews of it and was curious. Then I happened into a dealer who was blowing out their demos since Spot was moving to direct to consumer. They had a pristine used large Mayhem at a price "I couldn't refuse"...the reviews were good and I figured if I didn't like it I'd turn around and sell it for no loss since the price was so good. This was all inspired by G.A.S. , new bike-itis, and I was interested in getting a bike with a slacker HA that was more trail to light enduro oriented. First ride was a blast and it kept going from there. On top of that, the people at Spot have been great with any inquiries etc I've had.

Cue003 - Ouch....to put me in the position of having to choose. Perhaps I'll try to deflect or pivot like our "great and fearless" leaders have taught us so well to do (bipartisan!). Hahaha. It would depend on what type of riding was on my calendar. So, if I had a bunch of racing coming up I'd go with the Ryve. For some 70%-85% of the trails I regularly hit the Ryve is plenty sufficient, and where its undergunned I know I can still get by (barring crazy Moab type stuff). However, if I didn't have any races lined up I'd probably stick with the Mayhem and perhaps invest in some lighter racier rims and tires if I got inspired to start doing a bit of racing again. The Mayhem is more of an all-arounder so it would be the better 1 bike, barely racing, quiver bike I think. Mine weighs around 29 pounds (XO build, Mavic alloy rims). One thing I noticed while riding the Ryve is that the tires on my Mayhem are slow, so I'm going to seek out some better rolling tires. As for fit, the Mayhem came with a 60mm stem. Coming from the Pivot 429sl things did feel a tad cramped as the geometry was so new compared to what I was used to...but I did ride it several times to give myself a chance to adapt. Changing to the 70mm was the right move. Height is just shy of 6', I have no idea what my arm length is, but I think my torso, lower body and arm length proportions are quite average. And no, no glaring negatives to either bike for me....but note that I don't dissect things....I'm a set it and go kind of rider (like with beer and wine...I taste it and like it or don't like it, but I don't analyze it any farther than that).

BogeyDog - I thought the bike handled quite well in the chatter and did just fine in the small/short rock gardens I encountered on Apex.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Excellent feedback. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i so want to demo Ryve but they done have XL available. do you think L would be too small for a 6'-1 1/2" guy? just for demo purposes. i would go with XL for sure if i decide to buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fantastic input, appreciate your time. You've had some excellent DW Link climbers so it's a good apples to apples. I'd give you more rep than already given if possible. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cavo - I think you'd be okay. Probably best to call them and ask their take. I think Paul at Spot might be close to your height. And perhaps they have a slightly longer stem they could throw on for you.

Living the Dream
    Anyone know if Spot is doing the memorial day sale again this year on 6-star builds?

Thanks,

John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone know if Spot is doing the memorial day sale again this year on 6-star builds?

Thanks,

John
    If they are doing a killer sale then I may just have to pull the trigger on the 6 star Mayhem or 6 star Ryve 115. I am currently only interested in 5 star builds but for a good deal will jump up for mainly the carbon wheelset.

Teabaggers — has the Ryve been calling out to you anymore since you test ride it? I am sure from your post above that the mayhem has nothing to worry about. . What color mayhem did you go with? I am having a hard time deciding since I haven’t been able to see either color in person and probably won’t be able to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks,

John
    I'd ask. Obviously a company may keep that info quiet, but buyers can be impulsive. I'd be interested in a frame or complete bike if it was a good deal like their Black Friday.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Ive owned both a red and the black. Both are cool, but the red is definitely my favorite color between the two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Cue003 - Indeed the Ryve is still on my mind, covertly trying to find its way into my wallet. So far I'm holding strong....but I'm only human. Price justification is the hard part as I'd really want the XTR build kit...Ka-ching! I'd want that for a few "reasons" - very light build kit, works really well, and light weight aspect would separate it more from the Mayhem (as I'd likely keep both bikes). And to build a further gap I'd increase the Mayhem fork to 140 and maybe put on the DPX2. Time to buy some Powerball and Lotto tickets. As for colors, for me the tomato red is da bomb. Beautiful and unique...and the world needs more color. Its part of what caught my eye when I first saw a pic of the Mayhem. Now if I were to add a Ryve to the quiver I would have a challenge....another red bike, or go with the black one to differentiate (and I'd probably name it Black Widow, the the tag line: it travels at the speed of dark).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Teabaggers, I like the “travels at the speed of dark” tagline. I am finding myself starting to be drawn to the red until I see pics of it dusty/dirty then I start to think black. Maybe I should try your approach and just get one of each. Mayhem and Ryve. Lucky for me that my wife is the same height as I am and wants a bike..... so this may actually be very doable but very expensive combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cue - I got to give credit where credit is due...i.e. the "Speed of dark" is a play off a funny one from the incredible comedian Steven Wright. As for the red frame and dirt, its never "stuck out to me" as if it looked dirtier than what a black frame would after the same ride. And heck, its a mountain bike, its supposed to get dirty! Lucky you having a wife who rides same size bike!!! I hope you can make it work. And of course you are guilty of causing me to think anew about procuring the Ryve. Until this recent exchange I'd been doing a pretty good job of suppressing the temptation. hahaha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any of these out in the wild yet? I'm looking to replace my 2014 Tallboy 2c, and I think I've narrowed the search to the Ryve 115 and the SB100. I have an SB5c so I'm familiar with the SI link, but no experience with the Spot linkage and zero chance of a demo ride without a multi-day trip. Usage would be mainly Midwestern trails with lots of punchy climbs, quick downs, and twisty turns with roots and rocks mixed in.

Haven't seen any recent reviews or test rides of the Ryve, just the ones from the announcement and a couple around See Otter. Anybody have theirs yet, or had good demo time on one that could compare it to the SB100 or TB2?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm super curious as well. This is the first xc/trail bike ice been interested in for a long time. Kudos to spot for using modern geo and not having a super steep head angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I confess to leaning pretty hard towards the new Trek Top Fuel, but this Ryve is intriguing.

Seems crazy that they announced some time ago, and no real reviews yet. I can't even find a first ride review kind of thing floating around out there.
    Whining is not a strategy.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I confess to leaning pretty hard towards the new Trek Top Fuel, but this Ryve is intriguing.

Seems crazy that they announced some time ago, and no real reviews yet. I can't even find a first ride review kind of thing floating around out there.
    I've been trying to get my hands on one to film a video review, but no luck yet. If I do get a chance to ride one, I'll be sure to film it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been trying to get my hands on one to film a video review, but no luck yet. If I do get a chance to ride one, I'll be sure to film it.
    Tactical error on Spots part not having the bike available to buy and/or send out for tests rides and reviews on launch. Definitely miss the "new bike on the market" buzz if there aren't any follow up reviews pretty quickly. IMO better to hold off on the announcement until the bike is available and ready to ship. Lots of bike companies have had to learn this the hard way.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I believe they're available to buy right now aren't they? I was under the impression they're in stock right now ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    not XL for sure. not even for demo. i was given a "few months" estimate. was trying to decide if i wanted to make switch from mayhem to ryve.
    went with ripley v4 instead and sold mayhem. so long spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I believe they're available to buy right now aren't they? I was under the impression they're in stock right now ready to ship.
    Not according to their web site, still shows email when available when I select a 115. Still no pro (or amateur) reviews. With a direct to consumer company like Spot, reviews are huge. Lots of people will not have an opportunity to try before they buy, so rely on reviews to help make their decision. Im sure Spot felt pressure to get the bike announced around Sea Otter, but I would have much preferred them to hold off until the bike was actually available to buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Not according to their web site, still shows email when available when I select a 115. Still no pro (or amateur) reviews. With a direct to consumer company like Spot, reviews are huge. Lots of people will not have an opportunity to try before they buy, so rely on reviews to help make their decision. Im sure Spot felt pressure to get the bike announced around Sea Otter, but I would have much preferred them to hold off until the bike was actually available to buy.
    When I selected Large just now it appears to be in stock. Probably best to call Spot and ask. Website might be out of sync.

My Large Ryve 115 6-star XTR black arrived Saturday. Came nicely packaged and built up easily. It weighed 25lbs on the money with Nobby Nics front and rear, no pedals. Haven't ridden it off road yet as the trails are muddy and rain is forecast for the week. I'll keep you posted.

To compare, my last bike was a Pivot Mach 4c w/ 130mm fork. Spinning around on the pavement the Ryve definitely felt more upright than the Mach 4 and its ~72.5deg seat tube. On the Ryve my saddle ended up about 1.5cm further fwd than on my Pivot. I did swap out the saddle for a new Specialized Phenom: the rails are further forward for steeper seat tubes if you want to keep some setback.
    Last edited by wasatchRider; 05-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    not XL for sure. not even for demo. i was given a "few months" estimate. was trying to decide if i wanted to make switch from mayhem to ryve.
    Ibis nailed the ripley launch. they had those things in stock at dealers a couple weeks before launch ready to go with another shipment on the trucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How are you liking the Ripley vs the Mayhem?

mtbr member
    i didnt have any significant issues with mayhem but there was something i didnt like about living link. dw-link on ripley 4 has much better compliance in techy climbs and descends, maybe a touch less efficient over smooth climbs but for me it does better in techy climbs. with new geo, ripley is very capable, and i am quite happy i held on on buying ripmo last year. plus there were few little things that annoyed me on mayhem, like super tall seat tube on xl, fairly heavy frame, limited rear tire clearance and rear brake external routing, using zip ties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How are you liking the Ripley vs the Mayhem?

i honestly couldnt click with the mayhem really. my biggest issue being suspension and handling chunk. I like new ripley a lot, but i have always been a dw-link guy, i like how it rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The rain held off and I got in a good 20 miler with 3,400ft up & down. I'm coming from a Mach 4c with 130mm fork with a Luftkappe installed. The Ryve geo (much more reach, steeper STA and slacker HTA) and 29er wheels are pretty big changes. All in all, I really liked everything about the Ryve 115 geo and the larger wheels. Holding lines, including some dicey off camber loose was more secure.

Similar to Brankulo, the dw-Link of my M4c feels a bit more compliant (i won't say considerably tho) and a bit deeper than the same amount of rear travel on the Ryve. But it was my first ride and there's still some rear end tuning to be done. Would a larger volume spacer in the rear shock increase the ramp up and lower pressure for better sensitivity?

The Ryve rear feels like it pops more on the little airs I was taking.

Unlike Brankulo tho, the external routing of the rear brake hose is an attribute to me. It is nicely done with the molded groove on the side of the DT.

Otherwise I felt that the frame was stiff and responsive and handled really nice on the ups and downs. Felt more composed than my M4c while still being quick handling.

The XTR 12spd is great! I like it better than my XO1 Eagle. The shifting is really positive & crisp up and down the cassette. Especially like the Shimano release (& dual release). With X01 downshifting on rough terrain I'd frequently bounce through 2 or 3 gears unintentionally.

Initial impression is that I also like the XTR 2 piston brakes better than the Guide RSCs for both feel (less modulation & lighter lever), consistency and power. Didn't do anything long/steep that'd test heat dissipation tho.

One oddity is that every size Ryve is spec'd with 170mm cranks. Will probably swap my 175 Next SL over from my M4c.

The Enve rims & build are sweet but the I9 Hydra hubs are a drag, literally, and noisy. On my M4c with DT240 hubs i was used to giving a quick tap with my toe to spin the crank around to clip in. I have to 'tap' much harder to get the crank to come all the way around with the Hydra hubs but they do have near instant engagement.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchRider View Post
    The rain held off and I got in a good 20 miler with 3,400ft up & down. I'm coming from a Mach 4c with 130mm fork with a Luftkappe installed. The Ryve geo (much more reach, steeper STA and slacker HTA) and 29er wheels are pretty big changes. All in all, I really liked everything about the Ryve 115 geo and the larger wheels. Holding lines, including some dicey off camber loose was more secure.

Similar to Brankulo, the dw-Link of my M4c feels a bit more compliant (i won't say considerably tho) and a bit deeper than the same amount of rear travel on the Ryve. But it was my first ride and there's still some rear end tuning to be done. Would a larger volume spacer in the rear shock increase the ramp up and lower pressure for better sensitivity?

The Ryve rear feels like it pops more on the little airs I was taking.

Unlike Brankulo tho, the external routing of the rear brake hose is an attribute to me. It is nicely done with the molded groove on the side of the DT.

Otherwise I felt that the frame was stiff and responsive and handled really nice on the ups and downs. Felt more composed than my M4c while still being quick handling.

The XTR 12spd is great! I like it better than my XO1 Eagle. The shifting is really positive & crisp up and down the cassette. Especially like the Shimano release (& dual release). With X01 downshifting on rough terrain I'd frequently bounce through 2 or 3 gears unintentionally.

Initial impression is that I also like the XTR 2 piston brakes better than the Guide RSCs for both feel (less modulation & lighter lever), consistency and power. Didn't do anything long/steep that'd test heat dissipation tho.

One oddity is that every size Ryve is spec'd with 170mm cranks. Will probably swap my 175 Next SL over from my M4c.

The Enve rims & build are sweet but the I9 Hydra hubs are a drag, literally, and noisy. On my M4c with DT240 hubs i was used to giving a quick tap with my toe to spin the crank around to clip in. I have to 'tap' much harder to get the crank to come all the way around with the Hydra hubs but they do have near instant engagement.
    Thanks for the write up. I look forward to how you feel it handles and compares on the rocky chunky stuff with the living link suspension vs the dw-link bikes you have mentioned. Especially the continuous rocks/roots etc.

Living the Dream
    Verified no Memorial Day sale. :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Update after riding the Ryve 115 some more. Got in a couple of rides in Moab area. 1st was down Bull Run, up Getaway & all the Horsethief loops. Sure there are better bikes for Bull Run than the Ryve but that's what i have. I like Bull Run and have done this loop several times before on my M4c. Going down Bull Run with the rear shock in open 1 it felt as capable as my M4c did but with better roll over of course. I didn't think it felt less compliant than the M4c but it did feet more supportive. I was holding back a bit because of the uber light 24 spoke Enve M525 wheels that i may sell cause i want wider rims in a build that i'm not hesitant about pounding more. $2,500 wheels make me cringe a bit. They sure spin up fast tho.

Then up Getaway i was in the middle position on the smooth single track then switched to open 2 for the rockier sections where i would've stayed in the middle position on my M4c. The Ryve truly climbs great. It felt efficient and compliant on the Getaway climb.

On the Horsethief trails which are short sections of twisty up/down blue trails i was enjoying the handling and its acceleration. Traction was great. The Ryve isn't quite as nimble as the M4c with its 27.5 wheels and almost 3" shorter wheelbase but it was really close and i didn't feel like it was holding me back. Otoh, the Ryve felt more predictable/stable.

Another ride was a lap each direction on the Rodeo loop (my 4th ride on the Ryve). Rodeo is an 8 mile loop of rolling, twisty desert single track mixed rock & sand with short ups & downs. Lots of brake then accelerate then brake then accelerate riding. Started out in middle position then switched to open 2. Was getting more used to the handling and really thought the Ryve was great in this type of terrain. Again, the acceleration stood out and i thought the bump performance was fine. I would've stayed in the middle position on my M4c.

I like my new seating position. With the steeper STA, longer reach (same TT length) and shorter stem, my saddle is about 1.5 cm further fwd on the Ryve vs my M4c while saddle to handle bar is nearly the same. Not sure how i feel about the 780mm wide bars. Feels like more input is needed than with the 740 on my M4c.

No issues with the XTR group and it still impresses compared to XO1 Eagle. Shifting is tighter. And the XTR 2 piston are more responsive than the Guide RSC with equal or better power. Haven't done any long steep descents yet to assess heat management.

Another interesting aspect of the build kit is the 170mm crank spec for all sizes. I was pedaling more through turns and in rough terrain without hitting of course. Hip angle felt more open/comfortable. Not sure i felt any drawbacks.

Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100-ryve.jpg

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Great feedback, thanks. I'm quite familiar with those trails, so that's really helpful. I'll bet this bike would be a blast on Navajo rocks with some beefier wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great review. Bike sounds fun.

It pi$$es me off that Bull Run is one way now.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Is bull run uphill only now? That was such a great trail to take beginners on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is bull run uphill only now? That was such a great trail to take beginners on.
    Downhill only. I loved finishing the day climbing up that techy, ledgy stuff.

Great Escape is a wonderful trail, too, but still.

Sorry for the thread drift!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Downhill only. I loved finishing the day climbing up that techy, ledgy stuff.

Great Escape is a wonderful trail, too, but still.

Sorry for the thread drift!
    I hear you. Sneaking in a climb of Bull Run would maybe be doable later in the day but for the first half of most days there are multiple van loads of shuttle riders dropping in. So wouldn't be enjoyable anyway. Hymasa and beyond out to Pothole and back up to the top of Ahab has some good climbing. I set out to do that on this trip but had a bio-mechanical and pulled the plug. :-(

One bummer on the Ryve is rear end clearance is limited to 2.35. The 2.35" Nobby Nics fit fine. It'd be fun to try some of the new Aspen Race 2.4 that Maxxis is testing now on some wide rims. I think the selection of wide tires with low profile knobs is going to grow. I rode some 2.35 Ikons on 28mm iW rims and was impressed at the low pressure i could run and the additional traction it afforded.

The Spot direct pricing can't be beat... MSRP for a very similarly spec'd Ripley 4 is $9200 before sales tax. It's going to interesting times seeing how bike marketing & sales shakes out.

The new M4c SL 29er now has pivot arrangement similar to the Ryve. Wish the new M4c had a longer travel option... i considered the Trail 429 but didn't want to pay for the heavy frame and the SuperBoost+ rear axle.

The DoppleBox integration of the lower mount into the downtube is really cool. And the bottle mount is high enough on the DT that the shock lever is accessible although it is a reach.

Living the Dream
    I don't see frame only options any more on Spot's Website? Anyone know if they stopped offering frame only options? thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I don't see frame only options any more on Spot's Website? Anyone know if they stopped offering frame only options? thanks,
    They made a separate page for frame only. Just click on the "Bikes" dropdown and select "Mountain Bikes"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Ibis nailed the ripley launch. they had those things in stock at dealers a couple weeks before launch ready to go with another shipment on the trucks.
    Not true... they had a very limited number of bikes available for their top dealers only, while everyone else is waiting for the next shipment to come in. They have major fulfillment issues, and they're pissing off a lot of their dealers. They've lost a LOT of sales because of this.

(sorry for the thread drift)

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    same story with their DV9

I'm hoping to get a ryve in my hands soon to do a demo video. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Not true... they had a very limited number of bikes available for their top dealers only, while everyone else is waiting for the next shipment to come in. They have major fulfillment issues, and they're pissing off a lot of their dealers. They've lost a LOT of sales because of this.

(sorry for the thread drift)
    Yeah, screw Ibis for making a great bike everybody wants!

Hans from Ibis has a few words on this...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Yeah, screw Ibis for making a great bike everybody wants!

Hans from Ibis has a few words on this...
    that's kind of uncalled for. you don't know what his experience(s) have been with Ibis or to what extent this may have been par for them. Han's response is greatly appreciated, but doesn't cover everything.

here's the extreme of what happens when you fail to plan...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sick-b...e-us-fail.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    that's kind of uncalled for. you don't know what his experience(s) have been with Ibis or to what extent this may have been par for them. Han's response is greatly appreciated, but doesn't cover everything.

here's the extreme of what happens when you fail to plan...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sick-b...e-us-fail.html
    Was it though? If a little sarcasm is too harsh then we are all too thin skinned. Sure I don't know what his experiences were, but he more or less called you a liar and what he said isn't true from what I have seen and heard. Too many people feel entitled to instant gratification, sure I like it too but there just isn't enough to go around. And it is ridiculous to compare the Sick Bikes fiasco to what Ibis is doing.

Living the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    They made a separate page for frame only. Just click on the "Bikes" dropdown and select "Mountain Bikes"
    Thanks!

Living the Dream
    anyone know what the frame weight is on the new Ryves? Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    anyone know what the frame weight is on the new Ryves? Thanks,
    I did a Ryve demo and the guys at Spot told me the frame weights were under 5 lbs including shock. They didn't specify what size that weight was for. The 100 and 115 frame are the same, only with a 5mm longer stroke on the shock. I didn't didn't have the opportunity weigh one myself, so this is only what I was told. The demo bike I rode was an XL 5 Star build and it felt adequately light for the build.

Living the Dream
    Thanks. I would have guessed 6 pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    I did a Ryve demo and the guys at Spot told me the frame weights were under 5 lbs including shock. They didn't specify what size that weight was for. The 100 and 115 frame are the same, only with a 5mm longer stroke on the shock. I didn't didn't have the opportunity weigh one myself, so this is only what I was told. The demo bike I rode was an XL 5 Star build and it felt adequately light for the build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I would like to see some actual verified frame weights on these.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Did anyone get the max tire width? I can't seem to find it now but I thought I read it was 2.3?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did anyone get the max tire width? I can't seem to find it now but I thought I read it was 2.3?
    It says under Support - FAQ on their website that it is designed for 29x2.30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It says under Support - FAQ on their website that it is designed for 29x2.30.
    Thanks, I knew it was out there somehwere. I don't know why it's not on the actual product page though?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I would like to see some actual verified frame weights on these.
    I stopped by Spot yesterday and asked them if they could put an XL frame on the scale which they happily did. It was an XL frame painted (Hot Tomato) with shock, seat collar and rear axle and it came in at 6.1 lbs (~2750 grams). From what I've seen reported, this is in the same weight range as the new Pivot Mach 4 SL (I've seen 2650g reported for frame and rear shock in XL). The unpainted (black) frame is probably about 60g less, so right around 2700g for an XL. Not sure how much weight is lost for each size smaller, but I would guess 50-75g?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just built up a medium Ryve 115 with a Fox 34SC, Truvativ Stylo Carbon cranks, Whiskey carbon bars, I9 stem (just because it's shiny), XT 11 speed shifters and 4 piston brakes, XX1 cassette with X1 chain, BikeYoke dropper, oneUp flat pedals, and I reused my Nox Farlow/I9 wheelet with e13 tires. Obviously, it's not a weight-weenie build, but I don't think I'm using the heaviest build I could.

I didn't weigh the frame by itself as I don't have a small scale for that but the total build weight with pedals on, spare tube/co2/lever/inflator, and OneUp EDC toolkit in the stem came to 29.02lbs.

Living the Dream
    Thanks!
    I stopped by Spot yesterday and asked them if they could put an XL frame on the scale which they happily did. It was an XL frame painted (Hot Tomato) with shock, seat collar and rear axle and it came in at 6.1 lbs (~2750 grams). From what I've seen reported, this is in the same weight range as the new Pivot Mach 4 SL (I've seen 2650g reported for frame and rear shock in XL). The unpainted (black) frame is probably about 60g less, so right around 2700g for an XL. Not sure how much weight is lost for each size smaller, but I would guess 50-75g?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just built up a medium Ryve 115 with a Fox 34SC, Truvativ Stylo Carbon cranks, Whiskey carbon bars, I9 stem (just because it's shiny), XT 11 speed shifters and 4 piston brakes, XX1 cassette with X1 chain, BikeYoke dropper, oneUp flat pedals, and I reused my Nox Farlow/I9 wheelet with e13 tires. Obviously, it's not a weight-weenie build, but I don't think I'm using the heaviest build I could.

I didn't weigh the frame by itself as I don't have a small scale for that but the total build weight with pedals on, spare tube/co2/lever/inflator, and OneUp EDC toolkit in the stem came to 29.02lbs.
    Nice build. Enjoy the Ryve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Selling my large 6-star (Shimano) Ryve 115 if anyone might be interested. Asking $7,750 CAD (about $5800 USD).

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2628308/

Bought it as soon as they became available thinking I'd do a lot of big XC rides this year but being in western canada most of my riding and tastes and friend groups lately have shifted towards big bike stuff, picked up a Yeti SB150 on sale. Spot Mayhem will be my xc/trail bike out here.

Spot is pretty much unheard of in this part of the world it seems so folks seem a bit iffy on the brand, seems an awesome deal for an XTR/Enve level bike that is a rocket!
    Last edited by Abiding-Dude; 09-26-2019 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    2.35" Schwalbe Nobby Nic on 27mm iW rims become 2.42". It looks like clearance is least with the Living Link. The stays have more clearance. Still rides fine in dry conditions.

The Living Link is a mud catcher regardless.

dmo
    mtbr member

When you get some time can you post a report about how it rides and compares to other bikes youve ridden. I have a Mayhem but have thought about a ryve 115 as a xc marathon race bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    When you get some time can you post a report about how it rides and compares to other bikes youve ridden. I have a Mayhem but have thought about a ryve 115 as a xc marathon race bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm using the bike for all around trail riding. From pure XC style stupid-steep SoCal climbs to fun, rocky, ledge-filled AZ trails, and even a bit of DH/Flow/All-Mountain stuff. Yeah, so trail riding Really, I've basically used it everywhere I ride except the park.

I will say that I think it climbs pretty great. I think I climb faster on it, but the suspension still has that new-bike smell and the cognitive-dissonance of the large purchase hasn't worn off. Having said that, it climbs better than the Spot Rollik, and better than the GG Shred Dog/Smash/MegaTrail combo I own. I rode a Epic EVO earlier in the year and I think it climbs better than that too. It's purely subjective though since I'm also in better shape this time of year...

It's has done really well on the tech climbs, which I attribute as much to fresh suspension as anything else, but I'm a firm believer in steeper HAs for tech climbing and I think they got the geo right for that. I wish it had a threaded BB or ISCG mounts though as the WolfTooth bash/ring combo I like (as an alternative the above) doesn't fit the frame. Boost chainrings are a MUST.

As far as descending, I'm a suspension minimalist these days. It doesn't feel all pillowy soft like the Smash/MT (with a coil) combo but large hits don't create any scary noises in the rear shock area and the 34 Step-Cast isn't scaring me either. It holds its line just fine for my pacing. Having said that, there is some flex when pushing it hard. Like I said above, it's working for me on all my usual trails, which include most of the off-menu options around San Diego. There are a couple trails that have fast-paced drops in rapid succession that I need to slow down a bit for, but you already knew that about a bike in this class.

Sizing-wise, I went with a medium when Spot recommended a large. I'm still not sure I made the right choice as some of the long climbs make me want to be stretched out more, but so far it's been a net gain. I won't rant about trends in bike geometry in the bike-fashion industry, but for my purposes it works to have a smaller bike (compared to today's standard.)

Anyway, in summary, I would say that it's a good bike. I think it would be perfect for xc marathon race use, but my approach to bikes may be different than yours. My biggest complaint so far is the rear brake mount, who's mounting bolts are difficult to access - especially if you run a 180 rotor in the back.

mtbr member
    Hello all SPOT Ryve 100 & 115 owners and those who are Ryve-curious! Full disclosure, I work at Spot and I'm writing to you from our showroom in Golden, CO. We've been lurking on MTBR and have loved seeing the excitement grow and community develop around all our Living Link bike models. Thanks for posting in these forums and sharing information and experiences with each other. If you ever want to have a conversation with us at Spot, the best way to reach us is by phone or email - 303.278.3955 or [email protected]. We are putting in hard rides on the Ryve daily and love to talk about them so drop us a line! Carry on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What power meters are you guys running on your Ryves? I have the 6-star build XTR and am thinking of slapping one on for long winter gravel rides and racing the odd long marathon next year. Does the Ryve have clearance to the stays for a single sided crank arm based one like a stages?
    Yeti SB150
    Spot Mayhem
    Spot Ryve
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Bicycling recently posted a review of the Ryve 115 - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ve-115-review/

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Bicycling recently posted a review of the Ryve 115 - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ve-115-review/

Enjoy!
    Great review! I demoed one from your Golden headquarters this summer and was very impressed with the bike. You guys need your own forum in the MTBR Bike Manufacturer's section.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks! Yes, we'll have to see about that. Francis said we're good candidates now that we have a few threads with a following.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Agreed Spot are deserving of their own MFG thread and have previously stated as much. Not sure if its a pay to play thing, but 2 of the newest MFG to gain their own forums have no meaningful activity to speak of by comparison...

I'm sure there's a recipe that Francis has created. Here's to a Spot specific MFG landing spot!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I picked up a Ryve 115 in late July. I'm coming of a 2016 Pivot 429sl that I absolutely loved - but after 2+ years of XC racing and a few ill-advised trips to Downieville and Santa Cruz, it was time for a new ride. As Pivot was several months out on their new xc bike, I started looking around and liked the #'s on the Spot. I had the opportunity to ride their demo in Golden and was impressed with how well it climbed and overall trail manners. Pulled the trigger on the AXS group with Bontrager Kovee XXX wheelset and Enve cockpit. Size large is 27.3lb with 2.25 Aspens. Heavier than expected, but I assume you pay for that pretty red paint with some added grams.

Fast forward 5 months, and I'm still stumped by the bike. First, the lower pivots came loose almost immediately, and the beautiful red paint chipped/flaked/peeled off around the lower pivots. I was assured this wasn't a structural issue, and to have them tightened and carry on. Second, the BB has no drain hole. Rode it in the Sierra on trials with a few creek crossings. Nothing above BB height, likely in the 8" range. Had not plugged the unused holes for the rear derailleur, and it appears these holes drain into the bb shell. 1st Dub BB lasted 32 miles and I may have had a tadpole swimming in the bb. I've never seen water drain out of a bb when you pull the cranks. Wild. Have since taped all holes and swapped BBs and no bb issues since. So, not an awesome start, but we appear to be through all the quirks...almost.

Bike handles well for an xc/marathon bike, and climbs like a scared banshee. Not as overly planted as the DW linked Pivot, but zero complaints on the ups and smooth flats.

Rear suspension tho...I cannot for the life of me get the rear suspension anywhere near dialed. It either bottoms out rolling off a curb, or becomes a pogo-stick. I've gone from a 2mm volume spacer to a 4mm, and am now running a 6mm with seemingly very little change. I'm 170lbs, and currently run 212-215 to avoid a bottom out while riding fairly tame trails in Marin County. I am not new to suspension adjustment, and have a very reputable shop also giving advise. I even resorted to trying a shock-wiz...also to no avail.

If anyone has had success dialing in suspension for xc racing/trail riding I would LOVE to hear what you landed on. To sum, when at suggested weight, the bike bottoms out rolling off curbs. At around 215 the bottoming out stops, but i can no longer pedal over choppy terrain as it bucks like a mo-fo. Not ideal when racing mountain bikes...all suggestions welcome...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by that_hill_kid View Post
    I picked up a Ryve 115 in late July. I'm coming of a 2016 Pivot 429sl that I absolutely loved - but after 2+ years of XC racing and a few ill-advised trips to Downieville and Santa Cruz, it was time for a new ride. As Pivot was several months out on their new xc bike, I started looking around and liked the #'s on the Spot. I had the opportunity to ride their demo in Golden and was impressed with how well it climbed and overall trail manners. Pulled the trigger on the AXS group with Bontrager Kovee XXX wheelset and Enve cockpit. Size large is 27.3lb with 2.25 Aspens. Heavier than expected, but I assume you pay for that pretty red paint with some added grams.

Fast forward 5 months, and I'm still stumped by the bike. First, the lower pivots came loose almost immediately, and the beautiful red paint chipped/flaked/peeled off around the lower pivots. I was assured this wasn't a structural issue, and to have them tightened and carry on. Second, the BB has no drain hole. Rode it in the Sierra on trials with a few creek crossings. Nothing above BB height, likely in the 8" range. Had not plugged the unused holes for the rear derailleur, and it appears these holes drain into the bb shell. 1st Dub BB lasted 32 miles and I may have had a tadpole swimming in the bb. I've never seen water drain out of a bb when you pull the cranks. Wild. Have since taped all holes and swapped BBs and no bb issues since. So, not an awesome start, but we appear to be through all the quirks...almost.

Bike handles well for an xc/marathon bike, and climbs like a scared banshee. Not as overly planted as the DW linked Pivot, but zero complaints on the ups and smooth flats.

Rear suspension tho...I cannot for the life of me get the rear suspension anywhere near dialed. It either bottoms out rolling off a curb, or becomes a pogo-stick. I've gone from a 2mm volume spacer to a 4mm, and am now running a 6mm with seemingly very little change. I'm 170lbs, and currently run 212-215 to avoid a bottom out while riding fairly tame trails in Marin County. I am not new to suspension adjustment, and have a very reputable shop also giving advise. I even resorted to trying a shock-wiz...also to no avail.

If anyone has had success dialing in suspension for xc racing/trail riding I would LOVE to hear what you landed on. To sum, when at suggested weight, the bike bottoms out rolling off curbs. At around 215 the bottoming out stops, but i can no longer pedal over choppy terrain as it bucks like a mo-fo. Not ideal when racing mountain bikes...all suggestions welcome...
    Have you tried to chat with the guys at Spot about your specific suspension woes and see what they suggest?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think the red paint on that bike is a bad idea. Every used one Mayhem on that market that I have seen has chipped red paint and it looks horrible. Spot should have just stuck with the natural color of carbon as their only offering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by that_hill_kid View Post

man i wish i could help you out. i had very same experience with mayhem i had owned. it is fairly new platform of theirs and i think it is not there yet. way too much antisquat makes for a decent climbing bike on smoother terrain but it is also its own doom.
    it had some other design flaws for me so i ended up selling my mayhem after couple of months when new ripley 4 was announced and went that route. much better bike, proven suspension design that works excellent for what i ride. it is bummer as spot is maybe 5 minutes from my house. i thin the living link maybe needs set of carbon leafs with different thickness so the rider can chose how supple it will get. anyways, hope you have better luck with setting up your bike, if not, you can always sell it and get something else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I think I'm in love.
    I demoed the Ryve 115 last week and I can't stop thinking about it. It's the perfect compliment for my Rollik. I've had a hankering for a light, fast but capable xc race bike that was still fun, and the Ryve does it all.

mtbr member
    I think the red paint on that bike is a bad idea.
    Terrible idea, they should have gone with Rocker blue!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by relder View Post
    Terrible idea, they should have gone with Rocker blue!
    I'd be into that. I'm just not a big fan of red anyway.

Geaux ride!
    2019 Spot Ryve 115
    2018 Spot Rocker SS

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I finally got a chance to ride a ryve at a recent Spot demo. I've never ridden a perfect bike before, but this was the first time I couldn't think of a single thing I'd change on a bike. I was blown away by this bike, and I usually ride 150mm bikes. I knew it would climb like an xc race machine. What I wasn't ready for is how much fun it is on the downs and the flow. What a blast. It's so incredibly fast, and I feel it's more fun to ride than the mayhem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Deleted
    Last edited by Abiding-Dude; 01-31-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Yeti SB150
    Spot Mayhem
    Spot Ryve
    Specialized Fatboy

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I agree, it sounds like something's up if your scott scale hardtail feels more planted. (Granted, that bike is a very stable feeling bike in my experience).

The Mayhem I rode had a 140mm 36 and a dpx2 out back too, so not too different. The ryve was a 115 6 star. Size med on both.

I'm not an XC rider/racer. Being a short rider, I don't like long chainstays. It sounds like you prefer the feel of longer chainstays. I love how easy it is to get the ryve off the ground, manual, and bunny-hop it. The longer chainstays of the mayhem made it want to stay stuck to the ground more. Some people love that feeling, but I ride for fun more than all out speed.

To me, "more fun" means jumping, bunny-hoping, manualing, and jibbing stuff. The mayhem might be slightly faster on some downs due to the long chainstay, but I feel like I'm faster on the Ryve to be honest, including downhills. And I hate light, twitchy bikes.

What tire psi are you running? What types of terrain is it feeling unplanted on? (i.e. where do you ride most?) 'm betting changing the tires will make a big difference.

I also find that living link bikes feel awful when the rear shock is underinflated. Have you played with different tires yet?

I definitely feel the drag of the Hydras over my Onyx hubs on other bikes. The price we pay for all those teeth ratcheting all the time is more drag. Some people prefer lower engagement hubs due to their lower drag. I prefer Onyx, which come with a weight penalty, but have instant engagement with almost zero drag (and zero noise).

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I, too, was surprised how much the ryve and mayhem overlap. To me the Ryve 115 feels like way more travel than 115, and the Mayhem feels like less (more like a 120 bike to me.)
    Last edited by hardtail party; 01-24-2020 at 09:26 AM.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I also feel like the Ryve rewards a forward/aggressive body position more than the mayhem. It seems like bikes from 4+ years ago rewarded a riding position where riders shy away from the terrain (hips and butt back behind the seat, arms outstretched), while more modern bikes reward a more forward-leaning position (hips and knees forward, arms bent, chin over the stem, leaning into the terrain.) I ride the Mayhem a lot different than how I ride the Ryve, and the Ryve really rewards me when I "lean into" the terrain instead of shying away from it.

(I'm in no way insinuating that you do or don't ride a certain way Abiding-Dude.) The Yeti SB150 encourages me to ride the same way, and I see you have one of those as well. It was interesting to see so many magazines reviewing the SB150 saying it was hard for them to ride because it required them to put so much weight on the front of the bike. i feel like people are starting to learn to ride like that, and we're seeing the results. That's one reason that two people can have completely different opinions about a similar bike (not to mention body differences, style, preference, etc.)

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Here's a quick review video I did of the bike. I'm happy to answer any questions about it. I filmed this earlier on the week in Phoenix.

Letter this week I took it on a 22 mile ride today in Sedona and tackled everything from blue to black trails, and with a smooth riding style, it took it all like a champ. This thing is so much fun.

Last edited by hardtail party; 01-24-2020 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Trail looks rather smooth in that video compared to what I ride.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Trails always look smoother on goproa, but you're right, it was a fairly smooth trail. Nevertheless it was where the snow was held.

I've had it on most of Sedona's trails now, where nothing is smooth, and it's done remarkably well for a 115mm bike. I'll film some more videos of it in Sedona as time goes on. To be fair, most xc/marathon bikes with 115mm travel aren't meant for super chunky trails, though this one handles chunk quite well if you ride light on your feet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I was playing around with my 360 camera (Insta 360 OneX) and I ended up making this little video. "A Ryve in San Diego" - just because toys. Pardon the amateur videography...

https://youtu.be/tnXflZEJNzU

mtbr member
    ^^^ nice. Unlike the large majority of mtb vids, this looks like the kind of riding I like to do...though I'm significantly weaker and less skillful.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ nice. Unlike the large majority of mtb vids, this looks like the kind of riding I like to do...though I'm significantly weaker and less skillful.
    Thanks!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Nice riding Scott!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'll be leading a group ride at the Sedona MTB fest on my Ryve 115 Sat, March 7th if anyone wants to tag along.

I've been riding this bike on greens, blues, black diamonds, and even took the occasional double-black diamond here in Sedona. I'm having a blast on this thing. I'm a pretty smooth rider, and I don't ride it like an enduro plow bike, and it's holding up great. I haven't felt a bike this exciting to ride in a LONG time.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I will say, the tires that come on this bike are not ideal for where I live. I want wait to try something with better traction on the rocks here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm a pretty smooth rider, and I don't ride it like an enduro plow bike, and it's holding up great. I haven't felt a bike this exciting to ride in a LONG time.
    No no no. You're doing it wrong. Strap on your fullface and go full enduro. Huck to flat at will. It'll be even more exciting :P

mtbr member
    Come spring I’m going to demo the 115. It just sounds like exactly what I’m looking for.
    Thanks for the videos guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll be leading a group ride at the Sedona MTB fest on my Ryve 115 Sat, March 7th if anyone wants to tag along.

I've been riding this bike on greens, blues, black diamonds, and even took the occasional double-black diamond here in Sedona. I'm having a blast on this thing. I'm a pretty smooth rider, and I don't ride it like an enduro plow bike, and it's holding up great. I haven't felt a bike this exciting to ride in a LONG time.
    How did the ride go?
    BIKE Mag likes the 115: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9Y-aTeZdo
    Is Spot no longer selling Ryve framesets? Maybe it's my search skills, but I no longer see the frame-only option.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    It was an awesome ride today. The ryve 115 continues to amaze. It ate up everything we could dish out on teacup and Grand Central. It's a truly amazing bike. I'll have a video up late this week that features some ryve shredding.

I completely agree with everything Ryan said in that video.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey all,

About to pull the trigger on the 115 (moving from a V1 Following). The wheel set I intend to use are RF ARC 30 rims (Vault hubs) and currently really like Vigilante 2.3's. I'm assuming they'll fit fine based on the experience above with Nox rims that someone had (I think they have a 35mm outside width?).

Just want to check and see if anyone has any insights on tire/wheel fit.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm running 2.35 ikons on the stock enve rims and I have plenty of clearance.

That's going to be a big change from a following v1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks HP! That's what I'd hoped.

As for the Following - LOVE the bike for the down, and jibbing around. But I'm a long-ride climber at heart. I've been that way since the 90's. I want the squish, but I like to climb strong even more. It seems like the Ryve is the sweet spot for a old-timey climber like me?
    BTW, I'm going to put a Pike on it in a mind bending misuse of intentions because I'm a kook.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm running 2.35 ikons on the stock enve rims and I have plenty of clearance.

That's going to be a big change from a following v1.
    I'm running a 2.35 e13 semi-slick on 28mm ID rims and I have a few buzz marks on my seat tube. I may have had a few huck to flat moments though...
    Last edited by Scott2MTB; 03-17-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typos :(

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    The ryve is the perfect bike for what you describe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frytown View Post
    Thanks HP! That's what I'd hoped.

As for the Following - LOVE the bike for the down, and jibbing around. But I'm a long-ride climber at heart. I've been that way since the 90's. I want the squish, but I like to climb strong even more. It seems like the Ryve is the sweet spot for a old-timey climber like me?
    BTW, I'm going to put a Pike on it in a mind bending misuse of intentions because I'm a kook.
    On an unrelated note, I think it's cool how this is just your 2nd post in 13 years!! Someone's been doing more actual riding than online writing. Kudos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    On an unrelated note, I think it's cool how this is just your 2nd post in 13 years!! Someone's been doing more actual riding than online writing. Kudos!
    Thanks!
    Every once in a while, I read at thread here. But, yeah, I don't post. And for sure would more likely be riding than writing! I probably will report my experience building/riding the Ryve since my build will likely be a little less XC than stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast