Spot Brand - New Ryve 115 and 100 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Took the Ryve 115 (Large; XTR build) for a demo on Apex today (Golden, CO). Fantastic. I own a Mayhem and love it. The Ryve was just as fun, but in a lighter and slightly racier way. On my Mayhem I put a 70mm stem as I felt a bit cramped with the stock 60mm. With the Ryve it fit me "perfectly" as is. I felt it was a bit more of a natural fit for me...I suppose due to the slightly longer TT and the slightly slacker ST, as compared to the Mayhem. It was spry and zippy on the climbs, did well cleaning all sorts of rock features (up and down). It flew on the downhills and tracked well; very playful. Due to it being 4-5 pounds lighter than the Mayhem it felt more "airy" on the descent, but I never felt like I was losing control; tracked nicely. If I had some races lined up I'd very inclined to get this bike. Even without races I'm tempted. As always, it comes down to "need" and the bank account. Anyway, if you're looking of this type of bike (race, endurance races, light to medium trail), this should be a top contender on your list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Your size and weight? What was your demo sag settings?
    Obviously you're a Spot fan, but any shortcomings; have you ridden any bikes in the same "class" as the Ryve to compare?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaggers View Post
    Took the Ryve 115 (Large; XTR build) for a demo on Apex today (Golden, CO). Fantastic. I own a Mayhem and love it. The Ryve was just as fun, but in a lighter and slightly racier way. On my Mayhem I put a 70mm stem as I felt a bit cramped with the stock 60mm. With the Ryve it fit me "perfectly" as is. I felt it was a bit more of a natural fit for me...I suppose due to the slightly longer TT and the slightly slacker ST, as compared to the Mayhem. It was spry and zippy on the climbs, did well cleaning all sorts of rock features (up and down). It flew on the downhills and tracked well; very playful. Due to it being 4-5 pounds lighter than the Mayhem it felt more "airy" on the descent, but I never felt like I was losing control; tracked nicely. If I had some races lined up I'd very inclined to get this bike. Even without races I'm tempted. As always, it comes down to "need" and the bank account. Anyway, if you're looking of this type of bike (race, endurance races, light to medium trail), this should be a top contender on your list.
    You are tempted to get the Ryve but if you were buying today and didn’t have the Mayhem which would you choose? You can only choose one. Also what is your height and arm length, torso etc? Did you buy the Mayhem with the 70mm stem already concerned with the cockpit feeling cramped?

Any negatives to the Ryve or the Mayhem?
    Last edited by cue003; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaggers View Post
    Tell us how it worked in chatter and repetitive hits like rock gardens.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Westin - I'm just shy of 6' and with gear on weigh around 170-175. I have no idea what my sag setting was as the guys at Spot set it up for me and I didn't inquire. The last bike I had that was in the class of the Ryve would be a 2017 Pivot Mach 429sl with 120mm fork (XO kit, carbon wheels). Fantastic bike. I bought it that season because I "needed" an endurance race oriented bike for a multi day adventure race. Prior to that bike I had an OG Ibis Ripley, Cannondale Scalpel, an OG Mach 429, Turner 5 Spot, Turner XCE....and I imagine one or two others that aren't coming to mind at the moment. As compared to the 2017 Mach 429, the Ryve is a bit lighter seems a tad zippier, and I like the slacker head tube angle of the Ryve....just as dexterous as the 429 but also more fun for the downhill. Also, I became a Spot fan after buying the Mayhem. Late autumn 2017 I by chance came across some reviews of it and was curious. Then I happened into a dealer who was blowing out their demos since Spot was moving to direct to consumer. They had a pristine used large Mayhem at a price "I couldn't refuse"...the reviews were good and I figured if I didn't like it I'd turn around and sell it for no loss since the price was so good. This was all inspired by G.A.S. , new bike-itis, and I was interested in getting a bike with a slacker HA that was more trail to light enduro oriented. First ride was a blast and it kept going from there. On top of that, the people at Spot have been great with any inquiries etc I've had.

Cue003 - Ouch....to put me in the position of having to choose. Perhaps I'll try to deflect or pivot like our "great and fearless" leaders have taught us so well to do (bipartisan!). Hahaha. It would depend on what type of riding was on my calendar. So, if I had a bunch of racing coming up I'd go with the Ryve. For some 70%-85% of the trails I regularly hit the Ryve is plenty sufficient, and where its undergunned I know I can still get by (barring crazy Moab type stuff). However, if I didn't have any races lined up I'd probably stick with the Mayhem and perhaps invest in some lighter racier rims and tires if I got inspired to start doing a bit of racing again. The Mayhem is more of an all-arounder so it would be the better 1 bike, barely racing, quiver bike I think. Mine weighs around 29 pounds (XO build, Mavic alloy rims). One thing I noticed while riding the Ryve is that the tires on my Mayhem are slow, so I'm going to seek out some better rolling tires. As for fit, the Mayhem came with a 60mm stem. Coming from the Pivot 429sl things did feel a tad cramped as the geometry was so new compared to what I was used to...but I did ride it several times to give myself a chance to adapt. Changing to the 70mm was the right move. Height is just shy of 6', I have no idea what my arm length is, but I think my torso, lower body and arm length proportions are quite average. And no, no glaring negatives to either bike for me....but note that I don't dissect things....I'm a set it and go kind of rider (like with beer and wine...I taste it and like it or don't like it, but I don't analyze it any farther than that).

BogeyDog - I thought the bike handled quite well in the chatter and did just fine in the small/short rock gardens I encountered on Apex.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Excellent feedback. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i so want to demo Ryve but they done have XL available. do you think L would be too small for a 6'-1 1/2" guy? just for demo purposes. i would go with XL for sure if i decide to buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fantastic input, appreciate your time. You've had some excellent DW Link climbers so it's a good apples to apples. I'd give you more rep than already given if possible. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cavo - I think you'd be okay. Probably best to call them and ask their take. I think Paul at Spot might be close to your height. And perhaps they have a slightly longer stem they could throw on for you.

Living the Dream
    Anyone know if Spot is doing the memorial day sale again this year on 6-star builds?

Thanks,

John
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Anyone know if Spot is doing the memorial day sale again this year on 6-star builds?

Thanks,

John
    If they are doing a killer sale then I may just have to pull the trigger on the 6 star Mayhem or 6 star Ryve 115. I am currently only interested in 5 star builds but for a good deal will jump up for mainly the carbon wheelset.

Teabaggers — has the Ryve been calling out to you anymore since you test ride it? I am sure from your post above that the mayhem has nothing to worry about. . What color mayhem did you go with? I am having a hard time deciding since I haven’t been able to see either color in person and probably won’t be able to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post

Thanks,

John
    I'd ask. Obviously a company may keep that info quiet, but buyers can be impulsive. I'd be interested in a frame or complete bike if it was a good deal like their Black Friday.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Ive owned both a red and the black. Both are cool, but the red is definitely my favorite color between the two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Cue003 - Indeed the Ryve is still on my mind, covertly trying to find its way into my wallet. So far I'm holding strong....but I'm only human. Price justification is the hard part as I'd really want the XTR build kit...Ka-ching! I'd want that for a few "reasons" - very light build kit, works really well, and light weight aspect would separate it more from the Mayhem (as I'd likely keep both bikes). And to build a further gap I'd increase the Mayhem fork to 140 and maybe put on the DPX2. Time to buy some Powerball and Lotto tickets. As for colors, for me the tomato red is da bomb. Beautiful and unique...and the world needs more color. Its part of what caught my eye when I first saw a pic of the Mayhem. Now if I were to add a Ryve to the quiver I would have a challenge....another red bike, or go with the black one to differentiate (and I'd probably name it Black Widow, the the tag line: it travels at the speed of dark).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Teabaggers, I like the “travels at the speed of dark” tagline. I am finding myself starting to be drawn to the red until I see pics of it dusty/dirty then I start to think black. Maybe I should try your approach and just get one of each. Mayhem and Ryve. Lucky for me that my wife is the same height as I am and wants a bike..... so this may actually be very doable but very expensive combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cue - I got to give credit where credit is due...i.e. the "Speed of dark" is a play off a funny one from the incredible comedian Steven Wright. As for the red frame and dirt, its never "stuck out to me" as if it looked dirtier than what a black frame would after the same ride. And heck, its a mountain bike, its supposed to get dirty! Lucky you having a wife who rides same size bike!!! I hope you can make it work. And of course you are guilty of causing me to think anew about procuring the Ryve. Until this recent exchange I'd been doing a pretty good job of suppressing the temptation. hahaha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any of these out in the wild yet? I'm looking to replace my 2014 Tallboy 2c, and I think I've narrowed the search to the Ryve 115 and the SB100. I have an SB5c so I'm familiar with the SI link, but no experience with the Spot linkage and zero chance of a demo ride without a multi-day trip. Usage would be mainly Midwestern trails with lots of punchy climbs, quick downs, and twisty turns with roots and rocks mixed in.

Haven't seen any recent reviews or test rides of the Ryve, just the ones from the announcement and a couple around See Otter. Anybody have theirs yet, or had good demo time on one that could compare it to the SB100 or TB2?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I'm super curious as well. This is the first xc/trail bike ice been interested in for a long time. Kudos to spot for using modern geo and not having a super steep head angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I confess to leaning pretty hard towards the new Trek Top Fuel, but this Ryve is intriguing.

Seems crazy that they announced some time ago, and no real reviews yet. I can't even find a first ride review kind of thing floating around out there.
    Whining is not a strategy.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I confess to leaning pretty hard towards the new Trek Top Fuel, but this Ryve is intriguing.

Seems crazy that they announced some time ago, and no real reviews yet. I can't even find a first ride review kind of thing floating around out there.
    I've been trying to get my hands on one to film a video review, but no luck yet. If I do get a chance to ride one, I'll be sure to film it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    I've been trying to get my hands on one to film a video review, but no luck yet. If I do get a chance to ride one, I'll be sure to film it.
    Tactical error on Spots part not having the bike available to buy and/or send out for tests rides and reviews on launch. Definitely miss the "new bike on the market" buzz if there aren't any follow up reviews pretty quickly. IMO better to hold off on the announcement until the bike is available and ready to ship. Lots of bike companies have had to learn this the hard way.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I believe they're available to buy right now aren't they? I was under the impression they're in stock right now ready to ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    not XL for sure. not even for demo. i was given a "few months" estimate. was trying to decide if i wanted to make switch from mayhem to ryve.
    went with ripley v4 instead and sold mayhem. so long spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    I believe they're available to buy right now aren't they? I was under the impression they're in stock right now ready to ship.
    Not according to their web site, still shows email when available when I select a 115. Still no pro (or amateur) reviews. With a direct to consumer company like Spot, reviews are huge. Lots of people will not have an opportunity to try before they buy, so rely on reviews to help make their decision. Im sure Spot felt pressure to get the bike announced around Sea Otter, but I would have much preferred them to hold off until the bike was actually available to buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Not according to their web site, still shows email when available when I select a 115. Still no pro (or amateur) reviews. With a direct to consumer company like Spot, reviews are huge. Lots of people will not have an opportunity to try before they buy, so rely on reviews to help make their decision. Im sure Spot felt pressure to get the bike announced around Sea Otter, but I would have much preferred them to hold off until the bike was actually available to buy.
    When I selected Large just now it appears to be in stock. Probably best to call Spot and ask. Website might be out of sync.

My Large Ryve 115 6-star XTR black arrived Saturday. Came nicely packaged and built up easily. It weighed 25lbs on the money with Nobby Nics front and rear, no pedals. Haven't ridden it off road yet as the trails are muddy and rain is forecast for the week. I'll keep you posted.

To compare, my last bike was a Pivot Mach 4c w/ 130mm fork. Spinning around on the pavement the Ryve definitely felt more upright than the Mach 4 and its ~72.5deg seat tube. On the Ryve my saddle ended up about 1.5cm further fwd than on my Pivot. I did swap out the saddle for a new Specialized Phenom: the rails are further forward for steeper seat tubes if you want to keep some setback.
    Last edited by wasatchRider; 3 Days Ago at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    not XL for sure. not even for demo. i was given a "few months" estimate. was trying to decide if i wanted to make switch from mayhem to ryve.
    Ibis nailed the ripley launch. they had those things in stock at dealers a couple weeks before launch ready to go with another shipment on the trucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    How are you liking the Ripley vs the Mayhem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    i didnt have any significant issues with mayhem but there was something i didnt like about living link. dw-link on ripley 4 has much better compliance in techy climbs and descends, maybe a touch less efficient over smooth climbs but for me it does better in techy climbs. with new geo, ripley is very capable, and i am quite happy i held on on buying ripmo last year. plus there were few little things that annoyed me on mayhem, like super tall seat tube on xl, fairly heavy frame, limited rear tire clearance and rear brake external routing, using zip ties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    How are you liking the Ripley vs the Mayhem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i honestly couldnt click with the mayhem really. my biggest issue being suspension and handling chunk. I like new ripley a lot, but i have always been a dw-link guy, i like how it rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The rain held off and I got in a good 20 miler with 3,400ft up & down. I'm coming from a Mach 4c with 130mm fork with a Luftkappe installed. The Ryve geo (much more reach, steeper STA and slacker HTA) and 29er wheels are pretty big changes. All in all, I really liked everything about the Ryve 115 geo and the larger wheels. Holding lines, including some dicey off camber loose was more secure.

Similar to Brankulo, the dw-Link of my M4c feels a bit more compliant (i won't say considerably tho) and a bit deeper than the same amount of rear travel on the Ryve. But it was my first ride and there's still some rear end tuning to be done. Would a larger volume spacer in the rear shock increase the ramp up and lower pressure for better sensitivity?

The Ryve rear feels like it pops more on the little airs I was taking.

Unlike Brankulo tho, the external routing of the rear brake hose is an attribute to me. It is nicely done with the molded groove on the side of the DT.

Otherwise I felt that the frame was stiff and responsive and handled really nice on the ups and downs. Felt more composed than my M4c while still being quick handling.

The XTR 12spd is great! I like it better than my XO1 Eagle. The shifting is really positive & crisp up and down the cassette. Especially like the Shimano release (& dual release). With X01 downshifting on rough terrain I'd frequently bounce through 2 or 3 gears unintentionally.

Initial impression is that I also like the XTR 2 piston brakes better than the Guide RSCs for both feel (less modulation & lighter lever), consistency and power. Didn't do anything long/steep that'd test heat dissipation tho.

One oddity is that every size Ryve is spec'd with 170mm cranks. Will probably swap my 175 Next SL over from my M4c.

The Enve rims & build are sweet but the I9 Hydra hubs are a drag, literally, and noisy. On my M4c with DT240 hubs i was used to giving a quick tap with my toe to spin the crank around to clip in. I have to 'tap' much harder to get the crank to come all the way around with the Hydra hubs but they do have near instant engagement.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wasatchRider View Post
    The rain held off and I got in a good 20 miler with 3,400ft up & down. I'm coming from a Mach 4c with 130mm fork with a Luftkappe installed. The Ryve geo (much more reach, steeper STA and slacker HTA) and 29er wheels are pretty big changes. All in all, I really liked everything about the Ryve 115 geo and the larger wheels. Holding lines, including some dicey off camber loose was more secure.

Similar to Brankulo, the dw-Link of my M4c feels a bit more compliant (i won't say considerably tho) and a bit deeper than the same amount of rear travel on the Ryve. But it was my first ride and there's still some rear end tuning to be done. Would a larger volume spacer in the rear shock increase the ramp up and lower pressure for better sensitivity?

The Ryve rear feels like it pops more on the little airs I was taking.

Unlike Brankulo tho, the external routing of the rear brake hose is an attribute to me. It is nicely done with the molded groove on the side of the DT.

Otherwise I felt that the frame was stiff and responsive and handled really nice on the ups and downs. Felt more composed than my M4c while still being quick handling.

The XTR 12spd is great! I like it better than my XO1 Eagle. The shifting is really positive & crisp up and down the cassette. Especially like the Shimano release (& dual release). With X01 downshifting on rough terrain I'd frequently bounce through 2 or 3 gears unintentionally.

Initial impression is that I also like the XTR 2 piston brakes better than the Guide RSCs for both feel (less modulation & lighter lever), consistency and power. Didn't do anything long/steep that'd test heat dissipation tho.

One oddity is that every size Ryve is spec'd with 170mm cranks. Will probably swap my 175 Next SL over from my M4c.

The Enve rims & build are sweet but the I9 Hydra hubs are a drag, literally, and noisy. On my M4c with DT240 hubs i was used to giving a quick tap with my toe to spin the crank around to clip in. I have to 'tap' much harder to get the crank to come all the way around with the Hydra hubs but they do have near instant engagement.
    Thanks for the write up. I look forward to how you feel it handles and compares on the rocky chunky stuff with the living link suspension vs the dw-link bikes you have mentioned. Especially the continuous rocks/roots etc.

Living the Dream
    Verified no Memorial Day sale. :-(
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12