SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Just picked my Mayhem from Ethan this morning. Blew out the seals on my Evol last week so I had him do the warranty rebuild on it. I ended up treating myself to a new DPX2, hope to get the inaugural ride on it maŮana before the snow comes Monday. Anyone in the market for a newly rebuilt Evol shoot me a pm and I will give you a good deal! Thought about keeping it for a spare but that is just silly.
    No, but I'd really like to hear how you like the x2. I've been considering one for a while but need to try the evol for a while first

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The evol on this bike is $$$. I used to want the ďupgradeĒ when bored at work but after each ride I always thought ďhow could that be better?Ē I asked Ethan about it a couple weeks ago and he said itís a little beefier which I wonít notice and will be more consistent, whatever that means. I got a new job with a big raise so I had money to burn I guess. Will report back after a few rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Yes there is a new version. I got mine from Ethan FlowZone | Maverick Suspension and Service
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So I had a chance to demo the pivot switchblade for a day and Iím glad I did not buy it. Not a bad bike but head tube angle way too steep and the front end wanders too much on steep climbs. Also not as stable as the Mayham on the downs both bikes had stiff rear ends. One of the things I love so much about having the Mayham with the 160 pike on the front is I have 14 inches of BB Clarence now so I can run my 175 mm crank. The switchblade also felt sluggish on the climbs you could feel the weight at 31.2 pounds compared to Mark 28 pound Mayham. I was riding the switchblade but I was thinking about the Mayham.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rear Suspension Set-up, just still feels harsh. I've got only 4 rides so far. Cycled the fox evol while adding air every 50 PSI as described. Running 85% to my weight. 185 plus camelback. Have 30% sag and using all the travel.
    I've owned a few DW-Link bikes and Split-Pivot bikes and this 130mm feels like 100mm.
    It works better on bigger hits and is somewhat compliant on small trail imperfections. When I ride over moderate to small 2-4 inch obstacles if just feels harsh. Ride fully open with rebound dialed to not bob after the hit.
    I like the lateral stiffness of the rear, ST angle etc. I'm running a 140mm fox 34, but think I could get away with a 150mm fork with no flop climbing, but don't think that would match how rear end feels.
    Any ideas out there for tuning the rear? I've read the other posts in this forum.
    I like the frame, but would love it if I could dial in the rear suspension. I'm starting to think the harsh suspension action is the trade off with the single pivot design. I bought this bike to replace my XC/trail bikes with a smoother longer travel trail bike. Right now it does not feel like more travel bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    Rear Suspension Set-up, just still feels harsh. I've got only 4 rides so far. Cycled the fox evol while adding air every 50 PSI as described. Running 85% to my weight. 185 plus camelback. Have 30% sag and using all the travel.
    I've owned a few DW-Link bikes and Split-Pivot bikes and this 130mm feels like 100mm.
    It works better on bigger hits and is somewhat compliant on small trail imperfections. When I ride over moderate to small 2-4 inch obstacles if just feels harsh. Ride fully open with rebound dialed to not bob after the hit.
    I like the lateral stiffness of the rear, ST angle etc. I'm running a 140mm fox 34, but think I could get away with a 150mm fork with no flop climbing, but don't think that would match how rear end feels.
    Any ideas out there for tuning the rear? I've read the other posts in this forum.
    I like the frame, but would love it if I could dial in the rear suspension. I'm starting to think the harsh suspension action is the trade off with the single pivot design. I bought this bike to replace my XC/trail bikes with a smoother longer travel trail bike. Right now it does not feel like more travel bike.
    I'm 2 rides in and feeling the same. Dropped about 10 psi off of what's recommended and it's better so far. What other settings have peoplle found work best

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    I don't think you are necessarily going to get around it. I firmly believe that the design of the leaf spring pivot firms up right in the mid stroke. Thinking through it I can't think of a way around it. In my opinion, it is just going to be firm. That's the trade-off for pretty good small compliance and a great pedaling platform. In my case I am setting PR's without trying. I must contribute this to the efficiency of the suspension and I will trade some of the plushness for a good pedal platform.

I would be interested to hear from others that have used X2 shock.

In my case I feel the same firmness that you do. I do not find I am losing any traction or the bike is hopping. Small drops and larger everything is magical. Small Bump compliance is very good as well. I am 150 lb and run 17 lb in the front and 19 lb in the rear

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I don't think you are necessarily going to get around it. I firmly believe that the design of the leaf spring pivot firms up right in the mid stroke. Thinking through it I can't think of a way around it. In my opinion, it is just going to be firm. That's the trade-off for pretty good small compliance and a great pedaling platform. In my case I am setting PR's without trying. I must contribute this to the efficiency of the suspension and I will trade some of the plushness for a good pedal platform.

I would be interested to hear from others that have used X2 shock.

In my case I feel the same firmness that you do. I do not find I am losing any traction or the bike is hopping. Small drops and larger everything is magical. Small Bump compliance is very good as well. I am 150 lb and run 17 lb in the front and 19 lb in the rear

What psi do you have in your shock?I'm 156 and went down to 125psi with the shock fully open and 1 click of low speed compression damping before it started to feel balanced

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    What psi do you have in your shock?I'm 156 and went down to 125psi with the shock fully open and 1 click of low speed compression damping before it started to feel balanced

About 155 with gear. 126lbs of pressure. Rebound I think is 3 from out from closed. So we are close. I have been using a Shockwiz.

Last edited by bogeydog; 10-29-2017 at 04:09 PM.

dmo
    mtbr member
    About 155 with gear. 126lbs of pressure. Rebound I think is 3 from out from closed. So we are close. I have been using a Shockwiz.

Ya, I'm using a shockwiz too. I'm probably 158 in kit depending on how many layers and how much water I carry. I'm only 2 rides in so I still have some work to do. I'm also running 27.5+ wheels which will change the feel of the bike.

One thing I can't deny, this bike climbs like no other. I'm just trying to get it to feel better on the downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ya, I'm using a shockwiz too. I'm probably 158 in kit depending on how many layers and how much water I carry. I'm only 2 rides in so I still have some work to do. I'm also running 27.5+ wheels which will change the feel of the bike.

One thing I can't deny, this bike climbs like no other. I'm just trying to get it to feel better on the downs.

I have both sizes of wheels. The plus tires make it softer for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes, it rips uphill. Hooks up great as well! I'm running 29 30mm internal width and 20/22 psi with 175 cranks and no issues with pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Consider volume spacers in the fox evol shock. Im 195 and run 190psi with 1 volume spacer. Prior to volume spacers I was blowing right through travel and the volume spacer helped a ton with ramping up the curve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First "long term" review posted on NSMB... considering North Shore is the NS in NSMB - pretty impressive write up as we all know those testing grounds are endu-bro optimized.

https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    First "long term" review posted on NSMB... considering North Shore is the NS in NSMB - pretty impressive write up as we all know those testing grounds are endu-bro optimized.

https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/

Agree with everything except the harsh bottoms. Iíve felt my 36 bottom out but not the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree with everything except the harsh bottoms. Iíve felt my 36 bottom out but not the rear.

Push now offers coil spring upgrade for the Fox 36!!!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone use volume spacers with the shock? The bike is pretty progressive with the leaf spring. Would a volume spacer allow lower pressure to be run without making the bike wallow in the early part of its travel?

Btw, I spoke to Spot and they said using a shockwiz (which I've been doing) doesn't really work due to the leaf spring and the way it works.

mtbr member
    Volume spacers have an affect on the last part of the travel resisting bottom out.
    Air spring pressure and dampening have an affect throughout the travel.
    Set your air pressure low enough to get the plushness you want and add volume spacers if you are bottoming out. This might get you into too much sag. That is the problem with shocks without high speed compression and rebound adjustments.
    I am using an X2 and I found the high compression adjustment very useful in setting the mid travel progressiveness of the the leaf spring to my liking. I have 2 volume spacers and get full travel without wallow in the early part of the travel and no harsh bottoming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Volume spacers have an affect on the last part of the travel resisting bottom out.
    Air spring pressure and dampening have an affect throughout the travel.
    Set your air pressure low enough to get the plushness you want and add volume spacers if you are bottoming out. This might get you into too much sag. That is the problem with shocks without high speed compression and rebound adjustments.
    I am using an X2 and I found the high compression adjustment very useful in setting the mid travel progressiveness of the the leaf spring to my liking. I have 2 volume spacers and get full travel without wallow in the early part of the travel and no harsh bottoming.
    What are your stats and settings? How do the mid size Rocks and roots feel especially when back to back or successive hits?

dmo
    mtbr member
    What are your stats and settings? How do the mid size Rocks and roots feel especially when back to back or successive hits?

I'm 156lb and have shock at 130psi, rebound 6clicks from fully closes and lsc fully open.

I'm not getting full travel right now. If I go below 130 too much the shock gets too soft and doesn't climb as efficiently. I think I may try dropping 1-2psi and adding a click of lsc to the 2nd setting

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm 156lb and have shock at 130psi, rebound 6clicks from fully closes and lsc fully open.

I'm not getting full travel right now. If I go below 130 too much the shock gets too soft and doesn't climb as efficiently. I think I may try dropping 1-2psi and adding a click of lsc to the 2nd setting

I am about same weight, run 126 lbs and 3 clicks of rebound.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I am about same weight, run 126 lbs and 3 clicks of rebound.

What about compression damping? The 1,2,3 on the lever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What about compression damping? The 1,2,3 on the lever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I could see how a shock with HSC could help. But I am doing OK with the stoxk one unless someone can convince me the x2 is worth it ON THIS BIKE. It's an expensive and heavy option.

mtbr member
    You guys are on the lighter side. The stock evol shocks might have a tune for the average rider 170 - 180LBS.
    You might need a custom tune.
    I never used the evol shock. I used a X2 from the start. I am using the X2 with a Fox36 140mm.
    I have also used an updated CC Inline which was nice but found the X2 to be a better match to the 36. If I did not have the X2(I donít mind the weight) I would have no problem using the CC inline.
    Having the ability to adjust the high speed compression and rebound has really helped the rear suspension. I am still playing around with the settings but I am in range.

I am 180-185 lbs geared up on a Large
    Fox X2
    Air Pressure 157-160PSI - 2 tokens
    Fox recommended settings from open
    HSC 2-4
    LSC 1-3
    HSR 6-8
    LSR 2-4 clicks

My Settings from open
    HSC 1-2 clicks
    LSC 2 clicks
    HSR 5-6 clicks
    LSR 8 clicks

No problems with successive hits but remember it is a 130mm bike. I do wish it was 140mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tuesda...rt-1-2016.html

dmo
    mtbr member
    You guys are on the lighter side. The stock evol shocks might have a tune for the average rider 170 - 180LBS.
    You might need a custom tune.
    I never used the evol shock. I used a X2 from the start. I am using the X2 with a Fox36 140mm.
    I have also used an updated CC Inline which was nice but found the X2 to be a better match to the 36. If I did not have the X2(I donít mind the weight) I would have no problem using the CC inline.
    Having the ability to adjust the high speed compression and rebound has really helped the rear suspension. I am still playing around with the settings but I am in range.

I am 180-185 lbs geared up on a Large
    Fox X2
    Air Pressure 157-160PSI - 2 tokens
    Fox recommended settings from open
    HSC 2-4
    LSC 1-3
    HSR 6-8
    LSR 2-4 clicks

My Settings from open
    HSC 1-2 clicks
    LSC 2 clicks
    HSR 5-6 clicks
    LSR 8 clicks

No problems with successive hits but remember it is a 130mm bike. I do wish it was 140mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tuesda...rt-1-2016.html
    I have the new CC inline on my old bike, a Yeti sb95, that I really like. I contacted Push to see if they would do a custom tune on the evol and they said they can't. I can get another CC inline for half the cost of a X2 so I may consider that after I've spent some more time with the stock evol.

mtbr member
    On my dpx2, Ethan installed a .4 spacer. He said he did that per the advice of one of the Spot engineers who has had a lot of time with that shock on the Mayhem. Two rides in and Iím loving it, but I also loved the evol so ymmv.

mtbr member
    Anyone figure out if a 180 rotor will work in the rear?
    Denver, CO

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I am running a Hope 180mm rotor in the rear. I removed the chain stay protector and installed 3m tape. The original protector was starting to come off and hitting the rotor. No issues now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    I am running a Hope 180mm rotor in the rear. I removed the chain stay protector and installed 3m tape. The original protector was starting to come off and hitting the rotor. No issues now.
    thanks, same rotors I have.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Rode a demo today from Spot. I have to say.... I knew the bike would climb well based on the geometry but this thing RIPS on the descents. If youíre a competent descender do yourself a favor and put something bigger then a fox 34 on it. Trying to get my hands on one setup with a fox dpx2/36 next. Even with a fox 34 @ 130mm I only missed a KOM on a double black descent by one second on strava. Trail and bike were both new to me. Pretty impressive! Personally I think the bike will feel best at 140mm or even 150mm. The rear end is as stiff as any bike Iíve ever ridden. Iíll be comparing it to a stumpy, HT, trail pistol, and Following MB in the near future. The bar is set REAL high though...

dmo
    mtbr member
    What tires are people running for 29" hoops? I'm using dhf/Rekon 2.8 for my 27.5 wheels. I was thinking of getting some carbon 29er wheels around i29 width, maybe a set of Box wheels and was wondering what tires people like. Trails are northeast style rocks and roots with soft to dry dirt depending on the season. I heard good things about Vittoria Morsa or Goma tires. What are you rolling?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What tires are people running for 29" hoops? I'm using dhf/Rekon 2.8 for my 27.5 wheels. I was thinking of getting some carbon 29er wheels around i29 width, maybe a set of Box wheels and was wondering what tires people like. Trails are northeast style rocks and roots with soft to dry dirt depending on the season. I heard good things about Vittoria Morsa or Goma tires. What are you rolling?

Knight Enduro 29 wheels with P321 hubs. These are special for sure and work great in roots and rocks.

Tires are Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.35. They are really good especially when a little damp. They like to be leaned as the center knobs are built for speed. New G+ compound coming mid month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Trying to get my hands on one setup with a fox dpx2/36 next. The bar is set REAL high though...
    I've always had the 36 at 140 but just got my 3rd ride in with the dpx2 and I am now ready to crown it. I really liked the Evol but DPX2 seems to take the bigger hits a little better and is just more consistent. Ethan at Maverick kept saying it was a more consistent shock and I had no clue what he meant till now. It doesn't seem to react as big to anything, it doesn't seem to dive as much in the big stuff but I am still getting full travel. Hard to explain it.

I'm always amazed at how this thing rips the chunk coming down with how well it climbs.

If you are a Denver local, they should be able to set up a demo with a 36 and dpx2, one of the engineers had that exact same set up for a while. I bought mine with a 36 for a minimal up charge. I'd bet you could swap the evol for the dpx2 for a few bucks also.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I've always had the 36 at 140 but just got my 3rd ride in with the dpx2 and I am now ready to crown it. I really liked the Evol but DPX2 seems to take the bigger hits a little better and is just more consistent. Ethan at Maverick kept saying it was a more consistent shock and I had no clue what he meant till now. It doesn't seem to react as big to anything, it doesn't seem to dive as much in the big stuff but I am still getting full travel. Hard to explain it.

I'm always amazed at how this thing rips the chunk coming down with how well it climbs.

If you are a Denver local, they should be able to set up a demo with a 36 and dpx2, one of the engineers had that exact same set up for a while. I bought mine with a 36 for a minimal up charge. I'd bet you could swap the evol for the dpx2 for a few bucks also.
    Thank you for the feedback on the DPX2. So you know if it would be able to be set up so that you could still get a water bottle inside the triangle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Did the dpx2 get a similar tune as was on the Evol?

mtbr member

They said dpx2 next year. Iím waiting to hear back about riding the 36/dpx2 bike
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    They said dpx2 next year. Iím waiting to hear back about riding the 36/dpx2 bike
    What do you mean next year?

mtbr member
    20oz water bottle fits just like it did with the Evol. The piggyback sits up top.

Ethan set the pressure on the dpx2 just like the Evol. Iím running 153 for my 180 weight. He did install a .4 spacer and I want to say I am one click in on both knobs. I always ride the shock in the open position same as I did with the Evol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    20oz water bottle fits just like it did with the Evol. The piggyback sits up top.

Ethan set the pressure on the dpx2 just like the Evol. Iím running 153 for my 180 weight. He did install a .4 spacer and I want to say I am one click in on both knobs. I always ride the shock in the open position same as I did with the Evol.

200x57? So it's just a factory tune. I think the Evol is LLM maybe.

mtbr member
    Yep, straight out the box style.

dmo
    mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Oh...i forgot to mention I have the shock at 129psi right now

dmo
    mtbr member
    Oh...i forgot to mention I have the shock at 129psi right now
    I had posted before this and it dissappeared...anyway,

I'm not getting full travel out of my Mayhem. I'm about 156lb and get about 45 of 57mm of the shock stroke. Can I take the .2 spacer out of the shock and run it without any spacers?

Should I be using all the travel or is the mayhem just super progressive.

I'm at 129psi but if I go lower it'll be too soft. I have the shock fully open too

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had posted before this and it dissappeared...anyway,

I'm not getting full travel out of my Mayhem. I'm about 156lb and get about 45 of 57mm of the shock stroke. Can I take the .2 spacer out of the shock and run it without any spacers?

Should I be using all the travel or is the mayhem just super progressive.

I'm at 129psi but if I go lower it'll be too soft. I have the shock fully open too

Maybe you have a shock issue. I get full travel with the specs I posted before.

What is your shock code?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Maybe you have a shock issue. I get full travel with the specs I posted before.

What is your shock code?

DD29

Does that mean anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    DD29

Does that mean anything?

Well mine is DCSQ. Using the Fox ID decoder, our is the same except the damping is different.

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Digressive Compression Medium, Digressive Rebound Medium, Lockout Light

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML
    Linear Compression Medium, Linear Rebound Medium, Lockout Light

I bought my frame in May.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Well mine is DCSQ. Using the Fox ID decoder, our is the same except the damping is different.

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML

Hmmm...

What's the difference between digressive and linear? Mine is a medium that I bought last month

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hmmm...

What's the difference between digressive and linear? Mine is a medium that I bought last month

Linear, as shaft speed increases, damping increases at a predictable, linear rate.

Digressive, as shaft speeds increase, the damping forces increase at a decreasing rate.

From what I understand, digressive are a newer version of suspension thinking.

According to DVO, Digressive vs progressive is the most ideal setup for most riding conditions. The beginning stroke is supportive and not mushy or diving in the travel, as suspension velocity increases, damping force is less so larger hits are absorbed better without harsh spiking.

However, another article says that Digressive shocks are bad at small bumps and large bumps, but good at handling a g outs. Linear shocks provide the best all around performance.

mtbr member
    Are you riding trails where it should be using all the travel? If youíre riding smooth xc stuff then it shouldnít be blowing through travel. If youíre riding the gnar and it still isnít then it sounds like an issue.

Most importantly, does it feel good? Stiff on the way climbs plush on the downs?

My suspension guys( Dirtlabs and Maverick) have always told me that after any change get a couple rides in to see if I want the shock to behave differently then only make one adjustment at a time and get two rides in again.

Might be a silly question but are you riding in open mode?

mtbr member
    Also if you are running a 36 up front the bottom out spot is about an inch from the top. So the ring will never push all the way up.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Also if you are running a 36 up front the bottom out spot is about an inch from the top. So the ring will never push all the way up.

Yes, I'm running the shock full open. I also have a 2018 pike 140mm that I may try taking a spacer out of.

I've ridden a mix....more xc as well as more rocky gnar. I'm going to keep tuning and see.

Would a dpx2 or X2 help at all given there are more tuning options?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Poon,

What is the code on your Evol?

mtbr member

That's not true, at least not for the '17 or '18 36 I've owned.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sold my Evol already so no clue.

My Ď18 on this bike and my Ď17 on my hd3 donít roll all the way up. Here is a pic from todayís ride

mtbr member
    If thatís where your fork bottoms something isnít right.

mtbr member
    Think itís spacers? Both the guys I rode with today said thereís act the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think Poon is right. The bottom out on the 36 is where the kashima labels at. Mine behaves the same

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    shock appears "wrong" as that ring shouldn't go past the kashima branding print - bottom out comes before that... if you measure 57mm from air can seal you will see what i mean - if your ring is traveling that far - something is likely going on and not proper.

On my Rollik - and even tho the kinematics are a bit different btw the 2 - rear shock feel and performance for me is way better near 30% sag - which is a good bit lower air pressure than the recommended settings from Spot which put me about 18-20% sag. now if you like a crisp/xc feel great - i have old bones and injuries and wanted a more plush ride. Also changed my bottom out spacer (to a conical Push Ind brand via Ethan at Maverick) - and can run a bit lower pressure with a nice ramp towards the end.

in the end - find what feels and works best for you but i believe a lower pressure in the shock will help - and playing with the volume spacer will help as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML

Ok here is what Paul told me today regarding the apparent difference in our shock codes. I bought an early bike. They came with the tuning per the code I stated. They had Dirtlabs tune to the code which you have. There Digressive is the tune.

Also spoke about Dpx2. Said it would feel differently than DPS unless the DPS gets overheated by long descents, etc. Therefore the Dpx2 would be more consistent over the DPS in the right circumstances.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Ok here is what Paul told me today regarding the apparent difference in our shock codes. I bought an early bike. They came with the tuning per the code I stated. They had Dirtlabs tune to the code which you have. There Digressive is the tune.

Also spoke about Dpx2. Said it would feel differently than DPS unless the DPS gets overheated by long descents, etc. Therefore the Dpx2 would be more consistent over the DPS in the right circumstances.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So, am I correct in assuming that unless I have long descents (which I dont) the Dpx2 (and maybe the X2) won't feel any different?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So, am I correct in assuming that unless I have long descents (which I dont) the Dpx2 (and maybe the X2) won't feel any different?

Spoke to Chris at Dirtlabs who confirmed they did the mods to my shock. We discussed a few options including changing a spacer one level and dropping pressure 10lbs. That would help with small and mid compressions. However we don't want to comprise the pedaling which is where the bike shines.

We also discussed DPX2. He said it is a superior shock than the DPS. He is familiar with East Coast riding..... I placed an order for a DPX2 tuned for me and my riding style. Should be here next week.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Spoke to Chris at Dirtlabs who confirmed they did the mods to my shock. We discussed a few options including changing a spacer one level and dropping pressure 10lbs. That would help with small and mid compressions. However we don't want to comprise the pedaling which is where the bike shines.

We also discussed DPX2. He said it is a superior shock than the DPS. He is familiar with East Coast riding..... I placed an order for a DPX2 tuned for me and my riding style. Should be here next week.

How are you getting it tuned? Who do you order it through?

This sort of thing is new to me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How are you getting it tuned? Who do you order it through?

This sort of thing is new to me.

Thanks

Ordered from Dirtlabs. Look them up on Colorado. They know the bike. Asked me a bunch of questions. They will get shock from Fox and tune accordingly. Give them a call.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm planning to build a 29er wheelset for the mayhem. Nox Farlow 29 with i9s. I want to see what people think about colors. I getting black decals, black spokes and nips. My hub choices are black, silver, purple or gold. Black is a safe bet, silver might look cool, purple would add some color, gold maybe too blingy.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm planning to build a 29er wheelset for the mayhem. Nox Farlow 29 with i9s. I want to see what people think about colors. I getting black decals, black spokes and nips. My hub choices are black, silver, purple or gold. Black is a safe bet, silver might look cool, purple would add some color, gold maybe too blingy.

Thoughts?

I have had many colored wheels over the years. Black would look like what you have. I think silver hubs and nipples with black spokes could look good. You didn't mention blue, but blue or turquoise hubs, black spokes and silver nipples could look good with the red. I have that with my black frame. Gold is too much, red won't match the frame red, purple isn't my thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Go gold, i9 gold is a fairly warm color and you're spending bling $ anyway...

mtbr member

Gold is the only choice

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Gold is the only choice

Looks good

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Certainly black spokes would be a little more subtle but looks good either way. Currently riding an ORANGE Ripley with an orange helmet and gold i9's during hunting season so I'm definitely not the reference point for 'subtle'.. DMO, where do you ride in MA? I'm in Sturbridge and we've got 3 GREAT places to ride a Mayhem out here, plus Treehouse and BT's BBQ!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Certainly black spokes would be a little more subtle but looks good either way. Currently riding an ORANGE Ripley with an orange helmet and gold i9's during hunting season so I'm definitely not the reference point for 'subtle'.. DMO, where do you ride in MA? I'm in Sturbridge and we've got 3 GREAT places to ride a Mayhem out here, plus Treehouse and BT's BBQ!
    I'm in eastern MA and usually ride east of 495. I have a tough time travelling further for a ride. Maybe one day I'll get out near you

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm in eastern MA and usually ride east of 495. I have a tough time travelling further for a ride. Maybe one day I'll get out near you

Where would you say is the best spot for technical/trail riding in the vicinity of 495? Also, who did you buy the SPOT from?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Where would you say is the best spot for technical/trail riding in the vicinity of 495? Also, who did you buy the SPOT from?
    I'd goto Vietnam.

I got my frame direct from Spot.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    It's funny. Everyone that has ridden a long bike (that I can tell from reading these posts) has nothing but good things to say about them, myself included.

I'm still searching for the one person that really hated them.

The only negative I have ever read is that people prefer "throwing" around the smaller bikes, but they still enjoyed riding the longer ones.

I would never go back to purchasing a shorter bike, or one with a slacker seat angle.
    Yeah that way of thinking is done with I think. You can get the advantages of the longer wheel base and with the stems, handle bars, seats, frame angles these bike become with, stay centered within the bike and have a confortable and efficient ride these days...

FAT CHANCE!
    Can't believe that we do t have a detailed ride report yet

http://https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/?mc_cid=2e85b6c121&mc_eid=1140e827bb

mtbr member
    Ordered from Dirtlabs. Look them up on Colorado. They know the bike. Asked me a bunch of questions. They will get shock from Fox and tune accordingly. Give them a call.

Before I met Ethan at Maverick they were my suspension shop. I have nothing but great things to say about em. Great work on my squishy stuff and dropper posts. If they were closer I would probably still use them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, I was finding the rear a little harsh. Got some good riding in down in Hurricane/St George Utah..about 100 miles including Gooseberry and Gander Trail. Lots of short ups and downs etc. The bike was amazing!!! Climbs so well!! I was nailing everything. I've felt good on Gooseberry before with my other bikes, but really just crawled up EVERYTHING!!
    I got full travel flying on some downhills faster than I've felt comfortable before. The rear end was working great! I think the bike just won't be super plus ever, but I'm very pleased with the overall package. 140mm fork and feels perfect and I would easily say 150 could work well too. I'm 195 kitted up with camelback and run 30% sag and open platform. Bobs a little bit at higher cadence but settles down 80 and below.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm still looking for a good set of 29er tires for this bike. What do people think of the e13 tires for this bike? Would they be ok or roll to slowly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm still looking for a good set of 29er tires for this bike. What do people think of the e13 tires for this bike? Would they be ok or roll to slowly?

Knight wheels on sale now for 20% off. Killer deal.

mtbr member
    I'm running the 2.5 DHF up front and about to go back to the DHRII 2.4 rear. Not the fastest rolling but has the best grip.

mtbr member
    I'm running the 2.5 DHF up front and about to go back to the DHRII 2.4 rear. Not the fastest rolling but has the best grip.
    I got the 2.4 DHF up front and High Roller 2 in the rear.

BTW if someone wants to buy a barely used DHRII I got one for sale.
    2017 Surly Ogre

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm planning to run a pair of Vittoria Morsa 2.3 tires. My old wheelset has DHf/DHR combo. I hear the Morsa roll fast and corner well. I may try a e13 TRS up front but am afraid it'll be a bit of an anchor on the climbs

mtbr member
    A friend of mine is selling his DT Swiss XM 551 wheels for a good price, but they are 28 spoke,not 32 and im a bit of a clydesdale. do you think it would be safe? All my wheels now are 32 spoke.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    i am still thinking about ordering a mayhem but one thing sounds strange to me.

some owners call the rear suspension Ąplushď others call it Ąharshď.

i really do not like harsh rears - i like it plush, soft and planted. this makes me feel safe and offers comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by badbandit View Post
    i am still thinking about ordering a mayhem but one thing sounds strange to me.

some owners call the rear suspension Ąplushď others call it Ąharshď.

i really do not like harsh rears - i like it plush, soft and planted. this makes me feel safe and offers comfort.
    There seems to be some confusion and I would say erroneous info about this. The leverage rate of the frame provides for a great small bump compliance, a firm mid stroke. This is why it pedals so well. Once past the mid stroke, it is very plush. Likely those that aren't getting past the mid stroke are not going to get to plush.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    There seems to be some confusion and I would say erroneous info about this. The leverage rate of the frame provides for a great small bump compliance, a firm mid stroke. This is why it pedals so well. Once past the mid stroke, it is very plush. Likely those that aren't getting past the mid stroke are not going to get to plush.

Bogeydog nailed it. You need to ride the bike hard enough to get past the mid stroke. It still shocking to me how nice this bike rides in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    I also I agree. However the best way I could describe the feeling the mid stroke/pedal platform felt to me, is like an over-inflated tire. So I decided that I would try to lower the tire air pressure as low as possible and that did improve the perceived harshness and traction over roots. Getting more familiar (weight shifts) with the bike geometry has also helped.
    Larger volume tires and wider ID rims should also help. Has any one tried the new 29 x 2.5/2.6 tires?
    Also the 27.5+ configuration should provide more plushness. I will be trying this set up soon, so I will see how it compares to my current 29 x 2.35 Schwalbe NNs.

I also think that some of us, depending on weight and style of ridding, will require further rear shock dampening customization to get more plushness in the mid travel area.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I also I agree. However the best way I could describe the feeling the mid stroke/pedal platform felt to me, is like an over-inflated tire. So I decided that I would try to lower the tire air pressure as low as possible and that did improve the perceived harshness and traction over roots. Getting more familiar (weight shifts) with the bike geometry has also helped.
    Larger volume tires and wider ID rims should also help. Has any one tried the new 29 x 2.5/2.6 tires?
    Also the 27.5+ configuration should provide more plushness. I will be trying this set up soon, so I will see how it compares to my current 29 x 2.35 Schwalbe NNs.

I also think that some of us, depending on weight and style of ridding, will require further rear shock dampening customization to get more plushness in the mid travel area.

I am running Ibis 942 wheels 29 and Nox Kitsuma 27.5. The 27.5 plus tires do really smooth the ride out and are very fun. I have not run anything larger than a 2.4 Maxxis DHR on the 29er wheels but plan to give the 2.6 a try at least on the front. Not sure it would fit on the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    so i guess you canĎt have it all - which makes sense.
    either great support on climbs and while pedaling or an overall plush feeling.

i guess i am not a very hard rider, so most of the time i would be in the area, where it is not that plush.

mtbr member
    "I'm planning to run a pair of Vittoria Morsa 2.3 tires. My old wheelset has DHf/DHR combo. I hear the Morsa roll fast and corner well. I may try a e13 TRS up front but am afraid it'll be a bit of an anchor on the climbs"

I am currently running this combo on eThirteen TRS race wheels in South Lake Tahoe, CA. The eThirteen TRS is an outstanding front tire with great volume---and it will feel similar to your DHF when it comes to cornering traction and rolling resistance. The Morsa on the rear has very nice volume, good to very good cornering traction, good to very good rolling resistance, and decent drive and braking traction (not great). I think it is a very good tire combo but the Morsa can get a bit overwhelmed during high speed breaking in the loose and rough (your DHR2 will have noticeably better braking traction). That said, I am generally willing to give up some braking traction for less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    so i guess you canĎt have it all - which makes sense.
    either great support on climbs and while pedaling or an overall plush feeling.

i guess i am not a very hard rider, so most of the time i would be in the area, where it is not that plush.
    What tire pressure are you running on the 29 setup?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone using onyx hubs on their mayhem? I was going to get i9s but I found a color of onynx that I like. It's about .5lb heavier though

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone using onyx hubs on their mayhem? I was going to get i9s but I found a color of onynx that I like. It's about .5lb heavier though

Had on another bike. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think I saw it in this thread earlier, but I'm considering the Mayhem vs. the Evil Following MB.

I used to have a Specialized Camber Evo (120mm f/r 29er) that I loved, but built it more and more towards XC as it had a pretty steep HA (68.8), only 120mm etc, but generally loved the speed over 29ers.
    I'm on a Bronson now and quite enjoy it on the downs, but I am a rider who also enjoys ripping some XC loops, big trail rides, along with most of my trips to places like Moab, Sedona, and whistler every year.
    Kind of looking for the one quiver bike that feels fairly at home ripping Whistler trail rides such as comfortably numb & the occasional park lap, the Whole Enchilada in Moab, Captain Ahab in Moab (my favourite trail anywhere), but would also be a pretty stellar bike for a 'XC' race like Moab Rocks & BC Bike Race (I've been wanting to return to having 1 bike period, multiple wheel sets with aggressive tires & a set with XC/trail tires).

Demo'd the Following in Sedona recently and really enjoyed it despite not really even being setup that well for myself. The 29er, with 130mm pike and slacker HTA had me clearing through the tech. rock stuff on hi line and hangover as if I was on my Bronson, despite the Following having worn out hockey puck tires (IMO).

I felt the 130mm fork was enough to handle and inspire confidence when paired with the slacker HTA and 29er wheels for steep descents into chunky rock, similar to the Bronson @ 150mm, and even perhaps more confidence inspiring as the 27.5 wheels lead me to pick my lines a bit more carefully to not get pulled into holes with the front wheel etc.

I felt the Following climbed well, didn't really 'surge' forward, but still felt some energy going up hill and pedalling, including while standing, which is what I feel the Bronson lacks, a bike that seems to sap my will to pedal.
    I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Following due to the feeling it's far more biased towards the enduro end of the spectrum, weight wise and the slacker seat tube angle has me wondering if that might bug me in the future.

I came across this thread and everything I've read and reviewed on paper leads me to believe the Spot Mayhem might address some of my concerns and hopes.
    Sounds like the Mayhem would likely be a stronger climber out of the saddle than the following, and maybe for longer gravel grind sort of climbs as well.

Anyone able to comment about more steep, techy climbs? I'm just wondering if it firms up so much on that type of terrain whether traction would be inhibited?

I'm also curious about the Mayhem vs. Following in terms of the 'bottomless' feel; I agreed with the reviews I read in that the following had a really plush feeling beyond it's 120mm, never really felt like I was really overwhelming the rear end too much through rock gardens as I would have on my Camber. (Camber always felt like it was skipping, skating & harsh in this terrain a bit no matter how I set the suspension).

Another place I'm curious where the Mayhem lies is handling in quick successive corners, the Following felt very agile, much like the 27.5 wheeled Bronson in that laying the bike over side to side quickly, and bombing tighter corners was possible, whereas my 29er hardtail and the Camber for some reason felt like they really fought this kind of handling (wanting to stand up instead of falling into the corner more).

Unfortunately I'm very unlikely to be able to demo the Mayhem as I'm up in CA, and I'm kind of wanting to pick up a new bike this fall/winter still for a big 2 week trip I have planned, as neither of my current bikes actually excite me to ride. (The bronson goes up hill well, but it still feels like a chore compared to an aggressive short travel 29er I feel my style of riding enjoys).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post
    I think I saw it in this thread earlier, but I'm considering the Mayhem vs. the Evil Following MB.

I used to have a Specialized Camber Evo (120mm f/r 29er) that I loved, but built it more and more towards XC as it had a pretty steep HA (68.8), only 120mm etc, but generally loved the speed over 29ers.
    I'm on a Bronson now and quite enjoy it on the downs, but I am a rider who also enjoys ripping some XC loops, big trail rides, along with most of my trips to places like Moab, Sedona, and whistler every year.
    Kind of looking for the one quiver bike that feels fairly at home ripping Whistler trail rides such as comfortably numb & the occasional park lap, the Whole Enchilada in Moab, Captain Ahab in Moab (my favourite trail anywhere), but would also be a pretty stellar bike for a 'XC' race like Moab Rocks & BC Bike Race (I've been wanting to return to having 1 bike period, multiple wheel sets with aggressive tires & a set with XC/trail tires).

Demo'd the Following in Sedona recently and really enjoyed it despite not really even being setup that well for myself. The 29er, with 130mm pike and slacker HTA had me clearing through the tech. rock stuff on hi line and hangover as if I was on my Bronson, despite the Following having worn out hockey puck tires (IMO).

I felt the 130mm fork was enough to handle and inspire confidence when paired with the slacker HTA and 29er wheels for steep descents into chunky rock, similar to the Bronson @ 150mm, and even perhaps more confidence inspiring as the 27.5 wheels lead me to pick my lines a bit more carefully to not get pulled into holes with the front wheel etc.

I felt the Following climbed well, didn't really 'surge' forward, but still felt some energy going up hill and pedalling, including while standing, which is what I feel the Bronson lacks, a bike that seems to sap my will to pedal.
    I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Following due to the feeling it's far more biased towards the enduro end of the spectrum, weight wise and the slacker seat tube angle has me wondering if that might bug me in the future.

I came across this thread and everything I've read and reviewed on paper leads me to believe the Spot Mayhem might address some of my concerns and hopes.
    Sounds like the Mayhem would likely be a stronger climber out of the saddle than the following, and maybe for longer gravel grind sort of climbs as well.

Anyone able to comment about more steep, techy climbs? I'm just wondering if it firms up so much on that type of terrain whether traction would be inhibited?

I'm also curious about the Mayhem vs. Following in terms of the 'bottomless' feel; I agreed with the reviews I read in that the following had a really plush feeling beyond it's 120mm, never really felt like I was really overwhelming the rear end too much through rock gardens as I would have on my Camber. (Camber always felt like it was skipping, skating & harsh in this terrain a bit no matter how I set the suspension).

Another place I'm curious where the Mayhem lies is handling in quick successive corners, the Following felt very agile, much like the 27.5 wheeled Bronson in that laying the bike over side to side quickly, and bombing tighter corners was possible, whereas my 29er hardtail and the Camber for some reason felt like they really fought this kind of handling (wanting to stand up instead of falling into the corner more).

Unfortunately I'm very unlikely to be able to demo the Mayhem as I'm up in CA, and I'm kind of wanting to pick up a new bike this fall/winter still for a big 2 week trip I have planned, as neither of my current bikes actually excite me to ride. (The bronson goes up hill well, but it still feels like a chore compared to an aggressive short travel 29er I feel my style of riding enjoys).
    Wow that's a long post. Ina nutshell, I would call the guys at Spot to identify what the bike is capable of in the riding spots you speak of. I live in the east and we have techy, rocky and rooty climbs. I don't feel any harshness in these climbs nor any loss in traction. The bike climbs so well. In comparison to the Evil, I had a v1 Following. I think this bike climbs better and also feels bottomless. It's the rare pedal platform with this big hit feel that is cool. In regards to handling back and forth and fast turns, it's amazing. I have commented on that before. On paper it doesn't look like it should be. I always felt like I was loading the front in the a evil to rail turns. The geo in the Spot puts you more centered and makes turning easy.

mtbr member
    My Mayhem likes Moab. Whole Enchilada, Mag 7 and ahab Jackson rockstacker. Eats it all up. Iím running big rubber on wide rims and the 36 up front. I️ donít trust tires under 1000 grams.

I️ had a Bronson that climbed like a pig but descended well. Rented a Camber in New Mexico that I️ hated, not slack at all. Felt like a bike path bike. Replaced my HD3 that I️ had dialed all the way in with this bike. Took me a few rides and a couple tweaks but I️ donít miss the hd3 at all now.

Do a little research on where Spot is located and the trails these guys ride. Apex, White Ranch, Deer Creek and Dakota Ridge is where this bike was designed. Take a look at those trails and ask yourself if your trails are rougher. Nate Hills has follow cams on most of em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For anyone contemplating the DPX2 on the Mayhem vs the Stock DPS - do it. Im on a Rollik and got to ride a DPX2. The shock architecture is very different (as it should be by design) to the DPS. On the Rollik it erased any of my nits/niggles w the rear end. I know the Rollik and Mayhem do not share the same kinematics but the DPX2 is the real deal. We set sag/air and only adjusted 1 click rebound from starting and it was on!!

I suspect the DPX2 will offer that more plush feel some are missing on the Mayhem yet still provide the pedal support.

Formerly of Kent
    The HT on the Mayhem is pretty long, even in the small size. Great bike for all purpose riding, but it might be hard to get a good fit on the bike for aggressive XC racing, depending on your fit needs. Combined with a 130mm fork, I wouldn't be able to ride a Mayhem for that purpose. Couldn't climb or corner well enough at that height.

A 120/120mm bike would be ideal for Moab Rocks. Scott Spark 900 or similar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

dmo
    mtbr member
    For anyone contemplating the DPX2 on the Mayhem vs the Stock DPS - do it. Im on a Rollik and got to ride a DPX2. The shock architecture is very different (as it should be by design) to the DPS. On the Rollik it erased any of my nits/niggles w the rear end. I know the Rollik and Mayhem do not share the same kinematics but the DPX2 is the real deal. We set sag/air and only adjusted 1 click rebound from starting and it was on!!

I suspect the DPX2 will offer that more plush feel some are missing on the Mayhem yet still provide the pedal support.
    Sounds good.

Why not an X2 instead?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

What is your weight and where did you set sag and pressure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds good.

Why not an X2 instead?

Good question... never been discussed - let me bridge that one tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ~ 160-162 pounds riding weight

Sag - approx 30% starting at 160 psi - maybe felt bottom out a couple times - added 10 psi today - didn't bottom and still felt great - maybe a shade better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    ~ 160-162 pounds riding weight

Sag - approx 30% starting at 160 psi - maybe felt bottom out a couple times - added 10 psi today - didn't bottom and still felt great - maybe a shade better.
    I had Dirtlabs set one up for me. Installed yesterday. Now they said to start with 20% sag and were fairly adamant about it. I don't know what they did internally to it, but will find out today. Steve at Spot, said to set at 25 or 30%. We discussed his setup for weight and ended up with 29%, open mode adjustment or 1 click from full left, rebound 10 clicks from closed I think. Pressure wise he said that the dpx2 has required more pressure than DPS.

Ride a familiar trail last night which is fairly XC with some chatter (successive roots). What I noticed was the pedaling and small bump was improved. Hard to describe, but I would say firm, but soft at same time. Seemed to ride higher in travel. There are only a few small jumps (12-18") so I only got into about 3/4 travel. Felt good. The sections with the successive roots felt ok, but I am playing with rebound. I had a few light pedals strikes which I will talk to them today.

Thinking I will add change sag to 25 or so and test again unless they talk me into something else.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I had Dirtlabs set one up for me. Installed yesterday. Now they said to start with 20% sag and were fairly adamant about it. I don't know what they did internally to it, but will find out today. Steve at Spot, said to set at 25 or 30%. We discussed his setup for weight and ended up with 29%, open mode adjustment or 1 click from full left, rebound 10 clicks from closed I think. Pressure wise he said that the dpx2 has required more pressure than DPS.

Ride a familiar trail last night which is fairly XC with some chatter (successive roots). What I noticed was the pedaling and small bump was improved. Hard to describe, but I would say firm, but soft at same time. Seemed to ride higher in travel. There are only a few small jumps (12-18") so I only got into about 3/4 travel. Felt good. The sections with the successive roots felt ok, but I am playing with rebound. I had a few light pedals strikes which I will talk to them today.

Thinking I will add change sag to 25 or so and test again unless they talk me into something else.

Dumb question maybe....but do you measure sag for whatever % of the 57mm of shock stroke?

I've also read sag is not so much a % but based on ride height and feel to an extent. Is this more or less true with the Mayhem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Dumb question maybe....but do you measure sag for whatever % of the 57mm of shock stroke?

I've also read sag is not so much a % but based on ride height and feel to an extent. Is this more or less true with the Mayhem?

At 57mm, 30% sag would be 17mm. I use a set of calipers to measure.

Spot, on the DPS, said to use 85% of body weight. For me that was about 129 psi. I went with it, but never checked sag. Referencing the online Mayhem manual, that is a starting point.
    Apparently this doesn't translate to the dpx2. Steve at Spot said the dpx2 needs more air pressure to get the sag. The dpx2 is set about 160 now I think.

I will speak to Dirtlabs today and see what they did to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My experience is w the Rollik and the kinematics are different but would concur with your feel of the DPX2... its different, better and yet the DPS and Living Link work very well.

the DPX2 does require more pressure and i was running about 148psi on the DPS and ran 170psi on the DPX2 last night.

Something just feels right and better. Coming down the last sections of Apex gut the bike was more controlled and just handled everything better... i was 2 seconds off a segment PR and I stopped with foot off for a hiker/dog - i was going to let her through but she stepped aside and told me to continue - so yeah - I'm pretty impressed with the increased feel and performance and will be ordering today. Oddly - had some uphill PR's and felt i was pedaling thru mud (prob not shock related tho).

dmo
    mtbr member
    I've been having a heck of a time getting the shock on the mayhem feeling good. For starters I'm using 27.5x2.8 wheels/tires. I'm coming off a mojo3 which I never got along with. I also have a evil insurgent with a 150mm fork that I use for trail riding too. So far I feel the evil handles tech "gnar" better than the mayhem. It doesn't give up much in terms of climbing to the mayhem. That's really a different discussion for another time or place maybe.

Back to the mayhem, I'm about 159 in full kit depending on number of layers and what I'm carrying in my pack. Based on 85% I set the shock at 134psi. I found it was too much pressure and couldn't get into the shocks travel. After a half dozen rides I opened the can and removed the .2 volume spacer to make it less progressive. This helped the shock get into the middle part of its travel. I experimented with pressure and found 127 or 128 to feel real good and efficient, almost in a xc bike kind of way. Going down to 125psi the bike felt more active but the early travel felt too spongey. Settling on 126psi seemed to be the best. However, I just can't ever get the shock to bottom out.

Maybe the bike is designed not to bottom I don't know. Or maybe I need to be riding harder faster. The trails I ride don't have lots of extended descents or climbs. I ride NE single track and ride alot in Needham Town Forest, for those of you in MA. I don't do any drops or jumps more than 2 feet.

Taking the spacer out helped alot but I still feel like the shock isn't quite right for me. I mean it feels good and the Mayhem is a great bike but maybe with the way I ride I shouldn't expect to get full travel? I'm not sure.

If I want to ride for just all out fun though I'll grab my Insurgent any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been having a heck of a time getting the shock on the mayhem feeling good. For starters I'm using 27.5x2.8 wheels/tires. I'm coming off a mojo3 which I never got along with. I also have a evil insurgent with a 150mm fork that I use for trail riding too. So far I feel the evil handles tech "gnar" better than the mayhem. It doesn't give up much in terms of climbing to the mayhem. That's really a different discussion for another time or place maybe.

Back to the mayhem, I'm about 159 in full kit depending on number of layers and what I'm carrying in my pack. Based on 85% I set the shock at 134psi. I found it was too much pressure and couldn't get into the shocks travel. After a half dozen rides I opened the can and removed the .2 volume spacer to make it less progressive. This helped the shock get into the middle part of its travel. I experimented with pressure and found 127 or 128 to feel real good and efficient, almost in a xc bike kind of way. Going down to 125psi the bike felt more active but the early travel felt too spongey. Settling on 126psi seemed to be the best. However, I just can't ever get the shock to bottom out.

Maybe the bike is designed not to bottom I don't know. Or maybe I need to be riding harder faster. The trails I ride don't have lots of extended descents or climbs. I ride NE single track and ride alot in Needham Town Forest, for those of you in MA. I don't do any drops or jumps more than 2 feet.

Taking the spacer out helped alot but I still feel like the shock isn't quite right for me. I mean it feels good and the Mayhem is a great bike but maybe with the way I ride I shouldn't expect to get full travel? I'm not sure.

If I want to ride for just all out fun though I'll grab my Insurgent any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents...

Can't imagine that you can't get full travel on the Mayhem if you do on the Insurgent or other bike. Something just isn't right here. Are you riding the others somewhere else?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Can't imagine that you can't get full travel on the Mayhem if you do on the Insurgent or other bike. Something just isn't right here. Are you riding the others somewhere else?

Nope. I ride the insurgent almost exclusively in NTF. Occasionally I ride it in Vietnam or Mt. Pisgah.

It just rips and I do stuff I can't on any other bike. The Mayhem, not so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nope. I ride the insurgent almost exclusively in NTF. Occasionally I ride it in Vietnam or Mt. Pisgah.

It just rips and I do stuff I can't on any other bike. The Mayhem, not so much.

I assume you have spoken to Spot. Maybe the shock is just tuned wrong. They should be able to work something out to prove the bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I assume you have spoken to Spot. Maybe the shock is just tuned wrong. They should be able to work something out to prove the bike.

Just got off the phone with them. They said everything I'm doing sounds right for my terrain and how I ride. They suggested speeding rebound 1-2 clicks. I'm 5 clicks from full closed atm.

They were super helpful. Cool bike company for sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got off the phone with them. They said everything I'm doing sounds right for my terrain and how I ride. They suggested speeding rebound 1-2 clicks. I'm 5 clicks from full closed atm.

They were super helpful. Cool bike company for sure

Yeah they love their customers.

Here you go. Fresh off the press.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/outerbike-te...r-trail-bike/2

dmo
    mtbr member
    So I opened my shock to take out the .2 spacer (which helped btw) but now my shock leaks oil especially if I hang the bike by the seat with the front of the bike pointing down. What did I screw up? I tightened the can by hand as much as I could. Is this normal after opening a shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I opened my shock to take out the .2 spacer (which helped btw) but now my shock leaks oil especially if I hang the bike by the seat with the front of the bike pointing down. What did I screw up? I tightened the can by hand as much as I could. Is this normal after opening a shock?

One of the seals likely damaged or out of place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode a familiar rocky and rooty track today. Dpx2 did real well. Hard to describe, but I would say it is more supportive than DPS. But not in a harsh way. The pedaling platform is better with the dpx2. This area has some really tough steep climbs. It handled it with no issue. Keep in mind I had it tuned by Dirtlabs.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Rode a familiar rocky and rooty track today. Dpx2 did real well. Hard to describe, but I would say it is more supportive than DPS. But not in a harsh way. The pedaling platform is better with the dpx2. This area has some really tough steep climbs. It handled it with no issue. Keep in mind I had it tuned by Dirtlabs.

Interesting. I spoke to Spot and they felt a Dpx2 wouldn't do anything for me as I don't ride long descents so the shock isn't heating up alot. They advised me to stick too the DPS. Having ridden both what do you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. I spoke to Spot and they felt a Dpx2 wouldn't do anything for me as I don't ride long descents so the shock isn't heating up alot. They advised me to stick too the DPS. Having ridden both what do you think?

Yeah they told me that as well. However Dirtlabs said it would be different and it is. However they also tuned it so that may be what is causing the difference. My original DPS also was tuned by then for the Spot. However I wouldn't order a shock tune or new one without talking to either Maverick or Spot since they both know the bike.

mtbr member
    Hey guys there is a Large Mayhem frame in Red for sale on pinkbike, just thought I would pass it along. This is actually the bike I demoed before pulling the trigger and buying a spot.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So, someone please tell me if I was dreaming or did I get a 2018 Blk Lrg Mayhem for 5199 from Jenson last night. I haven't been looking for a deal in about 4 months since I test rode one in Golden,Co, but ran across this last night and completed the purchase. Was this a good deal or impulse buy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    So, someone please tell me if I was dreaming or did I get a 2018 Blk Lrg Mayhem for 5199 from Jenson last night. I haven't been looking for a deal in about 4 months since I test rode one in Golden,Co, but ran across this last night and completed the purchase. Was this a good deal or impulse buy?
    that's a pretty sexy deal, if it doesn't fit you and you need to sell let me know

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Sweet, will do. It was the 5star as I left that out. Will do, but pretty sure it will fit. Need to swap the seatpost for 150 and it will be dialed in.
    that's a pretty sexy deal, if it doesn't fit you and you need to sell let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Jenson has Mayhem 4stars - $4499 today from $5799... dang....

dmo
    mtbr member
    Yeah they told me that as well. However Dirtlabs said it would be different and it is. However they also tuned it so that may be what is causing the difference. My original DPS also was tuned by then for the Spot. However I wouldn't order a shock tune or new one without talking to either Maverick or Spot since they both know the bike.

Hey Bogeydog, you spend any more time on the dpx2? Any more thoughts on how it compares to the DPS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone just get an email or notice Spot just dropped their prices for Black Friday Sale week quite a bit?

$6524.00 for the 6-star build...

Definitely puts me into major temptation territory!

Curious if this is just a regular 'sale' promo or if they are clearing stock for new bikes/builds to come in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone just get an email or notice Spot just dropped their prices for Black Friday Sale week quite a bit?

$6524.00 for the 6-star build...

Definitely puts me into major temptation territory!

Curious if this is just a regular 'sale' promo or if they are clearing stock for new bikes/builds to come in.
    Just a regular sale to take advantage of the holiday buying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey Bogeydog, you spend any more time on the dpx2? Any more thoughts on how it compares to the DPS?

Riding tonight. Will give you more afterwards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode a very XC oriented trail tonight so not much info. I didn't check travel used. Mostly quick ups and downs and numerous turns. Worked well. I will ride Thursday morning and likely over the weekend and will give feedback as I have it. Any specific questions?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Rode a very XC oriented trail tonight so not much info. I didn't check travel used. Mostly quick ups and downs and numerous turns. Worked well. I will ride Thursday morning and likely over the weekend and will give feedback as I have it. Any specific questions?

I suppose climbing compared to the DPS. Do you feel the extra weight. Overall tunabilty for lighter riders, 155lbs or so...

I just need to decide if I should get one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I suppose climbing compared to the DPS. Do you feel the extra weight. Overall tunabilty for lighter riders, 155lbs or so...

I just need to decide if I should get one.

I say the dpx2 climbs and pedals better. Feels like it rides higher in its travel.

I set sag at 30%. Dirtlabs wanted me to set at 20% to start. I didn't do that so I am out sure why. I need to call them and ask why and what would be the result compared to 30%. I can't tell the weight. I did install RWC needle bearings in the eyelets which I think alway helps. I had them tune it to 153 pound rider. Rebound has more settings than DPS and low speed compression has more settings.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I say the dpx2 climbs and pedals better. Feels like it rides higher in its travel.

I set sag at 30%. Dirtlabs wanted me to set at 20% to start. I didn't do that so I am out sure why. I need to call them and ask why and what would be the result compared to 30%. I can't tell the weight. I did install RWC needle bearings in the eyelets which I think alway helps. I had them tune it to 153 pound rider. Rebound has more settings than DPS and low speed compression has more settings.

I was thinking about RWC bearings but wasn't sure which ones I need. Can you share a link for which ones? Did you do both eyelets?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was thinking about RWC bearings but wasn't sure which ones I need. Can you share a link for which ones? Did you do both eyelets?

I installed on both ends, but really it is the rear that moves the most. The rear was the 39.88mm kit. The front was the 19.05mm kit. I also got 2 sets of shims just in case. Used one set on the rear.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I installed on both ends, but really it is the rear that moves the most. The rear was the 39.88mm kit. The front was the 19.05mm kit. I also got 2 sets of shims just in case. Used one set on the rear.

Does one kit include both bearings for each eye? Did you get the bushing and bearing tools as well as the press too?

dmo
    mtbr member

And are those size bearing for the DPS or the DPX2 or do they fit both?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    And are those size bearing for the DPS or the DPX2 or do they fit both?

Fits both. I just had the shop install. I didn't want to mess with it but it's very simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Does one kit include both bearings for each eye? Did you get the bushing and bearing tools as well as the press too?

One kit per end of the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What front fork and travel is everyone riding? I currently have a 2018 Fox Factory 34 at 140mm tuned by Push. Been great in every way. I am a short guy and have trouble getting the stack down. Considering dropping travel to 130mm which may give me a little lower stack height. I already have played with stem and bar combos. I ride east coast single-track which means rocky and rooty, punchy climbs. Not too many large drops or jumps. The 140mm has been great and I don't have any reason to go 130mm other than why stated.

Thoughts?

dmo
    mtbr member
    What front fork and travel is everyone riding? I currently have a 2018 Fox Factory 34 at 140mm tuned by Push. Been great in every way. I am a short guy and have trouble getting the stack down. Considering dropping travel to 130mm which may give me a little lower stack height. I already have played with stem and bar combos. I ride east coast single-track which means rocky and rooty, punchy climbs. Not too many large drops or jumps. The 140mm has been great and I don't have any reason to go 130mm other than why stated.

Thoughts?

I have a 2018 140mm Pike on a med frame with a 40mm stem and 760mmx20mm bars. I have one 5mm spacer under the stem. It feels pretty good to me. I'm 27.5+ wheels currently while my 29er wheels get built.

I'm 5'6" and feel the stack is pretty reasonable. There have been times one other bikes when I have used a neg 6 degree rise stem (Raceface turbine), or a neg 7 degree rise stem by 3T.

Cane Creek is also making a zero stack headset, called the Slamset I think. I would look into that if you're still feeling the front is too tall. I usually have the same issue and always slam my stem. If I need to go lower I'm getting the Slamset.

Hope that helps.

Btw, I'm planning to call Dirtlabs about the dpx2. Can't ride my Mayhem now anyway as I busted a spoke on my last ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 2018 140mm Pike on a med frame with a 40mm stem and 760mmx20mm bars. I have one 5mm spacer under the stem. It feels pretty good to me. I'm 27.5+ wheels currently while my 29er wheels get built.

I'm 5'6" and feel the stack is pretty reasonable. There have been times one other bikes when I have used a neg 6 degree rise stem (Raceface turbine), or a neg 7 degree rise stem by 3T.

Cane Creek is also making a zero stack headset, called the Slamset I think. I would look into that if you're still feeling the front is too tall. I usually have the same issue and always slam my stem. If I need to go lower I'm getting the Slamset.

Hope that helps.

Btw, I'm planning to call Dirtlabs about the dpx2. Can't ride my Mayhem now anyway as I busted a spoke on my last ride.

Great. I am riding some heavy stuff today and will let you know how the dpx2 does. Stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Hope that helps.

Dpx2 did great today in chunky rocks and roots. A lot of tech climbs too. Not sure what more I can say but the shock works. Seems more consistent and predictable.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm setting up my Mayhem with 29er wheels now. Onyx hubs on Nox rims with Martello 2.35 tires. I was previously running 27.5+ DHF/Rekon combo which was great. I'll report back on how the 29ers compare to 27.5+.

I have both a 10-42 And 9-46 cassette. Any thoughts on which cassette would suite which wheel set up the best?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm setting up my Mayhem with 29er wheels now. Onyx hubs on Nox rims with Martello 2.35 tires. I was previously running 27.5+ DHF/Rekon combo which was great. I'll report back on how the 29ers compare to 27.5+.

I have both a 10-42 And 9-46 cassette. Any thoughts on which cassette would suite which wheel set up the best?

Going to 29 wheels and the increase in diameter will change your effective gear ratio. Pedaling will be slightly more difficult. I would choose whichever spacing that has high numerical teeth in the upper half of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    yes, with 29ers you need more power in your legs.

i would also consider shortening the cables in the front.

dmo
    mtbr member
    yes, with 29ers you need more power in your legs.

i would also consider shortening the cables in the front.
    Thanks.

Ya, I know. The brake cable is a little long. Everything else looks funny in the pic. They really aren't too long. Just looks that way. I left the brake like that in case I decide to sell it. Besides I don't want to deal with bleeding it.

mtbr member
    If anyone wants the race face 27.5" plus wheels that come on the Mayhem shoot me a pm. I have a set new in the box that I am not going to use, I'll cut you good deal on em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bought a Large red frame on their black Friday sale. I was planning to build it up slowly over the ski season but the lack of snow has me moving faster than I planned. Have most of what I need except for the wheels and waiting on a seatpost that is lost in a USPS-Canada post mixup. Loved this bike set up as a 29er and the 27.5+ when I demoed it. Still haven't decided for sure which way I will set up first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaskidawg View Post
    Bought a Large red frame on their black Friday sale. I was planning to build it up slowly over the ski season but the lack of snow has me moving faster than I planned. Have most of what I need except for the wheels and waiting on a seatpost that is lost in a USPS-Canada post mixup. Loved this bike set up as a 29er and the 27.5+ when I demoed it. Still haven't decided for sure which way I will set up first.
    Im undecided on which width would be best for plus bike riding with a 2.8, and what will fit. I like the Industry 9 450's but at that price I could buy a carbon rims.
    2017 Surly Ogre

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Im undecided on which width would be best for plus bike riding with a 2.8, and what will fit. I like the Industry 9 450's but at that price I could buy a carbon rims.
    I have i49 carbon hoops with maxxis 2.8s that have worked well for me

MSH
    mtbr member
    Been corresponding with Paul at Spot over email on some questions I had about swapping parts over from my v1 Ripley. It was mainly drivetrain related but I was asking about the DPX2 option as well. Some of the dialogue may be useful to others so here it goes (apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed previously, but I didn't see anything when I have been reviewing the six pages on the thread)...

- The DPX2 is not an option now, but will be in the Spring or so timeframe. For those wanting to move now on a DPX2 the tune code if you are purchasing direct from Fox is DCSS

- Spot is going consumer direct so the "sale" prices now are pretty much the new norm. "We are going all consumer direct and lowering prices by about 20-25%"

- If you need a Large frame (like I do) they are out of stock on both colors but a new shipment is coming in January and then again in March. I asked if the DPX2 would be an option once the March frames arrive and Paul indicated there wasn't a solid timeline since it's still in the planning phase, so if you want a Mayhem probably not best to wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Been corresponding with Paul at Spot over email on some questions I had about swapping parts over from my v1 Ripley. It was mainly drivetrain related but I was asking about the DPX2 option as well. Some of the dialogue may be useful to others so here it goes (apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed previously, but I didn't see anything when I have been reviewing the six pages on the thread)...

- The DPX2 is not an option now, but will be in the Spring or so timeframe. For those wanting to move now on a DPX2 the tune code if you are purchasing direct from Fox is DCSS

- Spot is going consumer direct so the "sale" prices now are pretty much the new norm. "We are going all consumer direct and lowering prices by about 20-25%"

- If you need a Large frame (like I do) they are out of stock on both colors but a new shipment is coming in January and then again in March. I asked if the DPX2 would be an option once the March frames arrive and Paul indicated there wasn't a solid timeline since it's still in the planning phase, so if you want a Mayhem probably not best to wait.
    Great info! Any indication of any changes to the frames in Jan or March, even as simple as colors? If the prices are the new norm, and no changes at all, may as well jump on frame now and start building I guess.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Great info! Any indication of any changes to the frames in Jan or March, even as simple as colors? If the prices are the new norm, and no changes at all, may as well jump on frame now and start building I guess.
    I did ask if there were any changes coming for 2018 (which I assumed would not be the case since they just released in late April), and Paul did indicate no changes for 2018. I didn't ask about colors specifically but I have to assume status quo there to.
    I'm most likely going to place an order for my frame this week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hi guys, how does this compare to mojo 3? And how does it ride on the 29er mode? I currently ride an M3 but with this frame it seems good to switch from plus to 29er where the mojo 3 can only do 27.5/plus. Thanks!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpeezy View Post
    Hi guys, how does this compare to mojo 3? And how does it ride on the 29er mode? I currently ride an M3 but with this frame it seems good to switch from plus to 29er where the mojo 3 can only do 27.5/plus. Thanks!
    I sold my Mojo3 and replaced it with a mayhem with 27.5x2.8 wheels. It is much better IMO. Stiffer, climbs better, better trail manners and composure, more stable at speed. A bit longer front center maybe. Let me know if you have specific questions

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did some research today on the Fox Dpx2 tune code DCSS. Fox said it is really really close to what is the stock tune on a off the shelf shock. Said it wasn't worth revalving it for $85 until you ride, make adjustments and test. After which, they can tune. I have one by Dirtlabs which was turned for a digressive leverage curve. They also do other tweaks that factory won't. I like mine with the Dirtlabs tune.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Did some research today on the Fox Dpx2 tune code DCSS. Fox said it is really really close to what is the stock tune on a off the shelf shock. Said it wasn't worth revalving it for $85 until you ride, make adjustments and test. After which, they can tune. I have one by Dirtlabs which was turned for a digressive leverage curve. They also do other tweaks that factory won't. I like mine with the Dirtlabs tune.
    Did you purchase yours new from Dirtlabs? Just curious what cost was?
    I'm here on the Front Range and they have done some work for me before being so close by. Great crew over there...not surprised you are very happy with their work..

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm here on the Front Range and they have done some work for me before being so close by. Great crew over there...not surprised you are very happy with their work..
    549 complete. Bought new from them.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I actually purchase a X2 from Dirtlabs. Should be arriving tomorrow or the next day. They felt it was a better choice for me than the DPX2. I trades my stock DPS in for about 150, which left the overall cost $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I sold my Mojo3 and replaced it with a mayhem with 27.5x2.8 wheels. It is much better IMO. Stiffer, climbs better, better trail manners and composure, more stable at speed. A bit longer front center maybe. Let me know if you have specific questions

Thanks! How does it fair on technical rocky trail? I live in the east coast and this is where I mostly ride.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpeezy View Post
    Thanks! How does it fair on technical rocky trail? I live in the east coast and this is where I mostly ride.
    It's been great. I live in New England and ride tech rocky stuff. It's stable at speed and feels very well composed. It does take some time with setup, shock pressure etc to find your sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Hey guys quick question, i found some industry 9 450 wheels for sale with orange hubs and spokes, how do you think they will look with a red mayhem frame? Yeah or Nay?

FAT CHANCE!
    Hey guys quick question, i found some industry 9 450 wheels for sale with orange hubs and spokes, how do you think they will look with a red mayhem frame? Yeah or Nay?
    Yeah!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How many 6foot 1 guys are choosing the large. The TT looks short on paper. Reach looks acceptable. The XL is wayyyyy to long in the wheelbase. Need to demo but. I do not see any coming up. Also I like a 150 front. Looks like bb would raise a bit and slacker to 66?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    How many 6foot 1 guys are choosing the large. The TT looks short on paper. Reach looks acceptable. The XL is wayyyyy to long in the wheelbase. Need to demo but. I do not see any coming up. Also I like a 150 front. Looks like bb would raise a bit and slacker to 66?
    I'm 6'1.5" with "normal" proportions, and I asked Paul at Spot just yesterday what they would recommend. He said he was similar size and that both would work, but the Large is more agile and responsive for him.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I'm right at 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam, so I preordered a Large frame from Paul yesterday. I'll be running a 140 Pike and 50mm stem. Reach will just be a touch longer (by a couple mm's) than my Hightower w/ 150 Lyrik and I run a 50mm stem on that one

dmo
    mtbr member
    I got my Mayhem in the fall and built it up around a 27.5+ wheelset I had from my last bike. (Top pic with Maxxis rubber is 27.5◊2.8)

After riding it for a few months I got around to getting a 29er wheelset and a new shock, Float X2 (2 lower pics). I've only done a ride up my driveway to the mailbox and back but so far it feels great.

Once I get my sag set properly and get a few rides in I'll report back. I'm using a Pike 140mm and may end up lowering my stem when using the 29er wheels so the front end doesn't wander on climbs - not that that has been a problem so far.

Super fun bike. I'm hoping global warming really kicks in so I can ride on some dirt instead of the frozen ground and snow that's around now.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm almost 6'2", but have short legs @ 32" actual inseam. I got sized at Golden bike and it was absolutely at L for me. Still playing with the stem to get it where I want it, but no question that the L was the size for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley View Post
    Yeah!

I bought them, will post once I buy some tires
    2017 Surly Ogre

FAT CHANCE!
    I bought them, will post once I buy some tires
    I think they will look sweet. Can't wait for pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone ridden both a new Ripley LS and a Mayhem and compared them directly? I put my Mojo 3 up for sale and if I can get a reasonable amount for it, I'll be looking for a new short-mid travel 29er. My home trails are flowy, mostly flat with small elevation changes, lots of man made features and roots. I want something efficient since we pedal so much in FL which is what led me to the Ripley, but I also want something that can handle the occasional trip to NC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Has anyone ridden both a new Ripley LS and a Mayhem and compared them directly? I put my Mojo 3 up for sale and if I can get a reasonable amount for it, I'll be looking for a new short-mid travel 29er. My home trails are flowy, mostly flat with small elevation changes, lots of man made features and roots. I want something efficient since we pedal so much in FL which is what led me to the Ripley, but I also want something that can handle the occasional trip to NC.
    I've tested the Ripley and it feels like a 29er version of the mojo I tested, very poppy.

Out of all the bikes I've tested the Mayhem feels more like a Tallboy but with more downhill capabilities but in the same sentence it can climb better than a Hightower. What really sets Mayhem different than any other bike is the Living Link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've tested the Ripley and it feels like a 29er version of the mojo I tested, very poppy.

Out of all the bikes I've tested the Mayhem feels more like a Tallboy but with more downhill capabilities but in the same sentence it can climb better than a Hightower. What really sets Mayhem different than any other bike is the Living Link.
    Which bike pedals better / is more efficient in terms of acceleration?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I have owned the Ripley LS and now the Mayhem. I live in Fruita Colorado so our trails are probably not the same so keep that in mind. After riding both bikes a ton of miles I can say that the Mayhem wins for me. The Ripley was maybe a little quicker cornering for me when I have the Mayhem with 29er wheels. The Mayhem climbs really well. Both seated spinning and when you are doing a technical climb up rock step ups. I am running a 150mm Ribbon front fork on mine and it is great.
    I hope this helps. You can't go wrong with either but the Mayhem is still bringing BIG SMILE to my face after 1600 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any you guys pre-ordering know if both colors of large will be in Janurary ? I wish I could see em in person can't decide color and would like to check fit.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Any you guys pre-ordering know if both colors of large will be in Janurary ? I wish I could see em in person can't decide color and would like to check fit.
    Yeah Iíve been wavering on color as well. I initially was going to go red but will most likely stick with black. Paul told me both colors will be available on the Jan. run

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah Iíve been wavering on color as well. I initially was going to go red but will most likely stick with black. Paul told me both colors will be available on the Jan. run
    Are you pre-ordering due to the fact that they are currently sold out? Is the preorder for the current sale price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To those that have had and/or ridden both the Mayhem and the Rollik. If choosing one between these two, which way would you go?
    I'm in Montana. Not a super aggressive rider or racer. I just enjoy getting out and riding.
    Currently have a carbon Bucksaw that I love for snow and dirt. I also have a Jet 9 RDO that I have set up 27.5+, but have a 29'er wheel set for, as well.
    Something about that Spot geometry and the sale pricing really has me thinking!!
    Any comments?? Thank you!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Are you pre-ordering due to the fact that they are currently sold out? Is the preorder for the current sale price?
    Yes, I'm a Large which is sold out on both colors. I just went ahead and placed my order just to make sure I got one on the January run, which I believe is going to be a smaller run than the next one in March.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    To those that have had and/or ridden both the Mayhem and the Rollik. If choosing one between these two, which way would you go?
    I'm in Montana. Not a super aggressive rider or racer. I just enjoy getting out and riding.
    Currently have a carbon Bucksaw that I love for snow and dirt. I also have a Jet 9 RDO that I have set up 27.5+, but have a 29'er wheel set for, as well.
    Something about that Spot geometry and the sale pricing really has me thinking!!
    Any comments?? Thank you!
    I believe the Rollick is sold out in everything but XL and perhaps small fyi. You may try giving them a ring Wednesday and checking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I believe the Rollick is sold out in everything but XL and perhaps small fyi. You may try giving them a ring Wednesday and checking.
    Thank you. Yes, the Mayhem is all sold out and there are a few Rollik's available in L and XL, but there are more of each coming in next month.
    I was just wondering more about the ride differences and capabilities.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Getting to ride it for real next week and looking forward to it. Still don't know where I'll end up with the stem location, hence it all jacked to the moon.

I have everything pretty well adjusted for air pressure, rebound, compression, etc. so now just the fun. I even was able to dig up a relic so my pedals mostly match the shocks by chance. They are almost brand new condition, just old as dirt. I also put 3M film/tape on all the critical areas as well. Wish I could say that was a better job, but it was my first time doing that and it took forever. Still going to swap to tubeless and I am doing that for my Christmas project tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9690.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9688.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9691.jpg  

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quick question on fork steerer length....

I'm transferring over my Pike from my Ripley. My Pike has ~7" steerer. The Ripley has a 100mm HT on the Large but does use a bottom EC where the Mayhem is ZS top & bottom. Looks like the large Mayhem comes in at 130mm on the HT length. I do have one 10mm spacer I'm running on the Rip.

For those of you on a Large what's your rough steerer length(w/ # of spacers)? I think I'm going to be ok but I'm planning to have Ethan at Maverick do a rebuild on the Pike and bump the travel to 140mm here next month and want to make sure I'm ok before I go down that road .

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

So the combination of the linkage system and the steep STA contribute to the climbing efficiency? That STA makes me look twice every time I look at a picture of this bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Regarding the leaf spring, does it seem to rebound a lot faster than a non-leafspring bikes? Reason I ask is I had a titanium BlackSheep soft tail that had titanium flex spring and felt like it was going to send me over the bars anytime i Bunnyhopped it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Regarding the leaf spring, does it seem to rebound a lot faster than a non-leafspring bikes? Reason I ask is I had a titanium BlackSheep soft tail that had titanium flex spring and felt like it was going to send me over the bars anytime i Bunnyhopped it.
    No

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's got a fancy shock to handle rebound....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After riding it for a few months I got around to getting a 29er wheelset and a new shock, Float X2 (2 lower pics). I've only done a ride up my driveway to the mailbox and back but so far it feels great.
    What's the update on riding the 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone know if the 6-star build kit with Mavic Tires and Mavic wheels comes set up tubeless? (Without tubes)

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    What's the update on riding the 29er wheels?
    Actually haven't had a chance to ride with 29ers. Snow and ice keeping me off the trails. Waiting for an early spring...

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the 6-star build kit with Mavic Tires and Mavic wheels comes set up tubeless? (Without tubes)
    My Rallye came tubeless. I didnít get a wheel set with my Mayhem but Iím sure if you are buying the most expensive build they will either put Stanís or tubes whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you all think the Spot Mayhem 29 will overlap too much with a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29? I absolutely love my E29 for anything that is really rocky or really fast and steep, but I'm looking to slot a bike in between that and my 100mm hardtail. Initially, I was thinking something more pure XC but nothing in that category really does much for me ...I like being able to go fast but also don't want to take a beating in doing so.

What I really want is a trail bike that pedals well enough that I can use it for everything other than what the E29 is good at but also the occasional Cat 1 XC race. Might this be the unicorn I've been looking for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do you all think the Spot Mayhem 29 will overlap too much with a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29? I absolutely love my E29 for anything that is really rocky or really fast and steep, but I'm looking to slot a bike in between that and my 100mm hardtail. Initially, I was thinking something more pure XC but nothing in that category really does much for me ...I like being able to go fast but also don't want to take a beating in doing so.

What I really want is a trail bike that pedals well enough that I can use it for everything other than what the E29 is good at but also the occasional Cat 1 XC race. Might this be the unicorn I've been looking for?
    I suggest checking out the Ibis Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Well the Bike mag test is done and the video is up..they ended up testing the plus version...I would of liked to see them of tested the 29er to like they did with the Norco sight..which looks like an amazing bike..

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well the Bike mag test is done and the video is up..they ended up testing the plus version...I would of liked to see them of tested the 29er to like they did with the Norco sight..which looks like an amazing bike..
    Yeah. I think they did because there just needed at plus bike. Would have been a better review if tested 29. Better yet with a 140 fork.

mtbr member
    There is a Large frame on EBay that looks pretty clean if someone is looking for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There is a Large frame on EBay that looks pretty clean if someone is looking for one.
    I don't see it. There is a small which was a demo at Trailflo

mtbr member
    I don't see it. There is a small which was a demo at Trailflo

Oops that is a small...i did a general search for frames in large and that popped up..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is anyone planning on setting up a European distribution network by chance?
    I am very interested in the Mayhem but ordering only the frame to the Netherlands adds 200$ for shipping and just shy of 600$ (!) for import taxes. So a 2799$ frame ends up costing $3586.

mtbr member
    I finally got out for a quick snowy ride with the plus rims and surprised how well it went, It was no fatbike but some xc skiers blazed in a nice trail,
    I lasted an hour in 19 degree tempsSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-26196159_933833826770800_8959154663341751755_n.jpg
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Your my hero..dang it gets 50 degrees once on a while here in SoCal and I think it's chilly.
    On another note was thinking of pulling trigger but he larges was out of stock. Price went up to 2799....

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....On another note was thinking of pulling trigger but he larges was out of stock. Price went up to 2799....
    if you talk to Paul at Spot you might be able to get $100 off if you preorder now. That's what he offered me when the frames were at $2499, since the Larges were out of stock in mid-Dec. At $2399 I couldn't pass it up

mtbr member
    So I was tossing the idea of installing a Shimano XT Di2, I have no clue how much of a pain in the butt this would be. SO does anyone use a Di2 on there Mayhem and is the wiring easy to do, I know some bikes come with doors in the frame to hide the battery, I don't believe ours does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm 6'2 long torso. I have an XL with a 70mm stem. It fits great. I have a 140mm fork and I can get around most everything. I had a much shorter rear end at about 17 inches, but don't miss it. The rear end has no flex and the bike feels great!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast