SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29 - Page 14- Mtbr.com
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,382 of 1382
    Hisforever
    Built a mayhem up a couple weeks ago. really like the 36(160mm on ours) with dpx2 out back. no complaints, overall very supportive and responsive. love the angles with a 1.5 headset.

On seatposts, we just installed a 160mm crankbrothers highline. This is a nice post, easy to install, has a cool swivel on the bar mount so you can place it anywhere you want. nice easy seat install also. only issue is the bottom of post hits inside the frame, so 50mm of post is showing above seat collar. bummer as this seat tube on frame is really long already, ala previous gen Yeti

go ride!
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Orbea Rallon sb 130
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Built a mayhem up a couple weeks ago. really like the 36(160mm on ours) with dpx2 out back. no complaints, overall very supportive and responsive. love the angles with a 1.5 headset.

On seatposts, we just installed a 160mm crankbrothers highline. This is a nice post, easy to install, has a cool swivel on the bar mount so you can place it anywhere you want. nice easy seat install also. only issue is the bottom of post hits inside the frame, so 50mm of post is showing above seat collar. bummer as this seat tube on frame is really long already, ala previous gen Yeti

go ride!
    Congrats on the build. Why the need to go all the way to 160 on the front with only 130 in the rear? Any pics of your setup/build?

Hisforever
    No need to go 160 just what i had at the time so i thought why not just try before going to the 150, not a fan of effin w a fork too much.

can get pics up
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Orbea Rallon sb 130
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I still have a small frame and DPX2 for sale if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How did you guys decide on your size to order? I am 5 9 and 31 inseam but long sleeve length of 34/35. When emailing back and forth with Spot they say medium but the only asked for height, inseam and current crank to middle of the seat height of existing bike (road bikes.. hadn’t had mountain bikes for several years as I was more road ridinng). Looking at the charts for mayhem the reach on the medium seems somewhat short at 424 with a 60mm stem (which I read someplace is the longest stem recommend to use). Should I go to a large?

Any insight will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    How did you guys decide on your size to order? I am 5 9 and 31 inseam but long sleeve length of 34/35. When emailing back and forth with Spot they say medium but the only asked for height, inseam and current crank to middle of the seat height of existing bike (road bikes.. hadn’t had mountain bikes for several years as I was more road ridinng). Looking at the charts for mayhem the reach on the medium seems somewhat short at 424 with a 60mm stem (which I read someplace is the longest stem recommend to use). Should I go to a large?

Any insight will be appreciated.
    Large feels great at 6’1”, but the 60mm stem gives you lots of room to shorten up the front Incase you want a longer bike. The super steep seat tube angle will also give you a little freedom to size up if you want, but you’re probably a pretty typical medium. Just Incase you aren’t aware, the reach measurement on geometry charts is not influenced by stem length. Reach is basically bottom bracket to head tube. Sounds like you might be talking about the unofficial “butt to bars” measurement which isn’t something most manufacturers show since stem length and saddle position are adjustable. With new steep seat tube angles I would not compare reach on this bike to the reach on an older bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @ Training-Wheels, you are correct I was considering reach incorrectly. Thank you for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I am 5’11” with a 32” inseam, and just bought a large Mayhem. Fits me perfectly! Just feels like I am operating the bike at a very comfortable posture and have great control. I also was riding a ton of road bike until now and was always on a Giant medium/large. I would probably yield to Spot, per their suggestion on the medium as they fit me perfectly, and I bought it aight unseen. Let me know if you have any questions and happy riding!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful.

Now I am on my next dilemma which is asking if the price is worth it. Spot is, I think, kind of a boutique brand. Their price point isn’t “cheap” but you do get a lot. However, there are other bikes inpretty much the same price range that you also get a lot with that you don’t on the similiarly priced 5 star build Mayhem.

- Devinci Django Carbon 29 GX Limited ($5550)
    - Giant Trance Advance Pro 29 GX ($5300 includes carbon rims)
    - Fezzari’s Signal Peak Elite Race GX ($5000 includes carbon rims)
    - Stumpjumper ST 29 GX ($5000 includes carbon rims)
    - Transition Smuggler GX
    - Ibis Ripley LS
    - Santa Cruz Hightower / Tallboy
    - RINGER — Can get a Specialized comp carbon 29 GX (not Eagle) for around $2600 out the door. May get this for my wife instead and pick out of the above for me. Or maybe get 2 of these and be done.

Etc etc. do you take prinarily X01 and better brakes and fox factory (not in all cases) over GX, TL brakes, Fox performance or performance elite and carbon wheels and possibly lifetime warranties? 90% of riding is in S FL and the other 10% will be north Florida and travelling with the family to wherever.

What say you guys in how to best narrow this down? They all weigh probably 1.5 to 2 lbs difference between any of them. The lightest benign 28ish lbs or so they say and the heaviest being about 30.5/31lbs. The only bike I can ride/demo on here is the Stumpjumper. Everything else is sight unseen purchase.

I know this is the spot thread and may get biased opinion but I am sure that many of you went through similiar approach before you bought your Mayhem and many of you actually have more than one of the bikes on the list so insight is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful.

Now I am on my next dilemma which is asking if the price is worth it. Spot is, I think, kind of a boutique brand. Their price point isn’t “cheap” but you do get a lot. However, there are other bikes inpretty much the same price range that you also get a lot with that you don’t on the similiarly priced 5 star build Mayhem.

- Devinci Django Carbon 29 GX Limited ($5550)
    - Giant Trance Advance Pro 29 GX ($5300 includes carbon rims)
    - Fezzari’s Signal Peak Elite Race GX ($5000 includes carbon rims)
    - Stumpjumper ST 29 GX ($5000 includes carbon rims)
    - Transition Smuggler GX
    - Ibis Ripley LS
    - Santa Cruz Hightower / Tallboy
    - RINGER — Can get a Specialized comp carbon 29 GX (not Eagle) for around $2600 out the door. May get this for my wife instead and pick out of the above for me. Or maybe get 2 of these and be done.

Etc etc. do you take prinarily X01 and better brakes and fox factory (not in all cases) over GX, TL brakes, Fox performance or performance elite and carbon wheels and possibly lifetime warranties? 90% of riding is in S FL and the other 10% will be north Florida and travelling with the family to wherever.

What say you guys in how to best narrow this down? They all weigh probably 1.5 to 2 lbs difference between any of them. The lightest benign 28ish lbs or so they say and the heaviest being about 30.5/31lbs. The only bike I can ride/demo on here is the Stumpjumper. Everything else is sight unseen purchase.

I know this is the spot thread and may get biased opinion but I am sure that many of you went through similiar approach before you bought your Mayhem and many of you actually have more than one of the bikes on the list so insight is appreciated.
    mayhem is very specific bike in a way it feels/rides. i live literally 5 minutes from Spot so the mayhem would seem obvious choice. i demoed that bike at least 5 times during last summer/fall, i really wanted to like it but i just couldnt click with it.
    for past 10 years, i have been on dw-link bikes but after i demoed ripley LS and Ripmo, they would not click either. of all the 29ers i demoed last year (probably around 15 of them), the one i immediately liked was transition smuggler. and it wasnt even high end build. just your basic fairly heavy aluminum gx build.
    a friend of mine really liked mayhem the first time he demoed and ended up buying it. after about 2 weeksof owning mayhem, he demoed ripmo and loved it so much he returned mayhem and bought ripmo.
    i guess what i am trying to say here is, we are all different, dont rely much on what others like, most of the people in spot forum will tell you spot is the best. go to ibis forum and you will hear how ibis bikes are great. the best is to demo them all on actual trails if you could and pick what you like the best.

mtbr member
    does anyone know actual real world weights for each of 3 builds? i cant seem to find the info on the website.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    does anyone know actual real world weights for each of 3 builds? i cant seem to find the info on the website.
    In which size? S, M, L or XL?

mtbr member
    Xl preferably but does not matter, as long as i get all 3 in one size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Xl preferably but does not matter, as long as i get all 3 in one size.
    I got L 4-star approx 29.25 and L 5-star approx 28.75. I did not inquire about 6-star since it is cost prohibitive for me.

mtbr member
    thanks, trying to decide here between 4 or 5 star but if the difference is just .5lbs ill just go with 4.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks, trying to decide here between 4 or 5 star but if the difference is just .5lbs ill just go with 4.
    The most accurate answer will be from those that have taken delivery of their Mayems and can weigh them directly for us without pedals. Those weights that I posted were approx weights given to me from an email exchange with Spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    according to my math i did when we were buying mayhem for my wife, the difference in components weight was just shy of 500g or 1.1lbs. this wasnt enough for me to justify extra 1k for 5 star build. instead, we sold the S1 wheel set right away, the money we got + extra $300 i used to get her a carbon wheel set and with the carbon bars we transfered from her old bike we matched the weight of 5 star build. now this was when all the builds were with fox 34, so if you are looking into 4 star build now, you can subtract about 180g for 34 vs 36 difference, so the diference between 4 and 5 star would come to 320g.

hope this helps

Hisforever
    Well, we got the wrong size. I was hoping a large would work for Mr and Mrs. but turns out the large is just too big for her at 5'7".

If anyone is interested in a Large Mayhem in Red, I have one for sale. pinkbike. will put an ad up here now. great ride ,just too large. we will look for a medium

cheers.
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Orbea Rallon sb 130
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Well, we got the wrong size. I was hoping a large would work for Mr and Mrs. but turns out the large is just too big for her at 5'7".

If anyone is interested in a Large Mayhem in Red, I have one for sale. pinkbike. will put an ad up here now. great ride ,just too large. we will look for a medium

cheers.
    See return policy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Was thinking the same thing. Is it not elegible for return? Unless you are parting it out and just selling the frame and keeping the components for your replacement Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Was thinking the same thing. Is it not elegible for return? Unless you are parting it out and just selling the frame and keeping the components for your replacement Mayhem.
    Spot is great to work with and likely will work something out

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Silly-ish question... how hard is it to bunny hop and manual on the Mayhem 29er? Is it all business all the time or can you have fun and play? I ask since a few reviewers imply that although the bike is great it is hard to be playful on/with the bike.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    It's a fun bike, but for short riders, it can be a struggle to get behind the rear axle (I'm one of those reviewers). How tall are you? How far can you manual now? How high can you bunnyhop?

You can still manual off drops and ledges just fine, but long sustained manuals over 10 feet long are pretty tough for short riders. Bunnyhopping over a rock, or small 6" high obstacles are no problem for me, but getting up 12"+ obstacles are a real challenge for me on the mayhem. It's a really fun bike, but it doesn't feel at all like a BMX to me. The rollik feels a lot more BMXy.

My buddy could manual a school bus, and he has no problem at all on the mayhem. He's also 6' tall and insanely talented.

It's still a very fun bike to ride, but I can bunnyhop about twice as high on the rollik and three times as high on my hardtai?l. I'm 5'6".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    It's a fun bike, but for short riders, it can be a struggle to get behind the rear axle (I'm one of those reviewers). How tall are you? How far can you manual now? How high can you bunnyhop?

You can still manual off drops and ledges just fine, but long sustained manuals over 10 feet long are pretty tough for short riders. Bunnyhopping over a rock, or small 6" high obstacles are no problem for me, but getting up 12"+ obstacles are a real challenge for me on the mayhem. It's a really fun bike, but it doesn't feel at all like a BMX to me. The rollik feels a lot more BMXy.

My buddy could manual a school bus, and he has no problem at all on the mayhem. He's also 6' tall and insanely talented.

It's still a very fun bike to ride, but I can bunnyhop about twice as high on the rollik and three times as high on my hardtai?l. I'm 5'6".
    Thanks for the response. I’m 5’9” without shoes. I can bunny hop up onto/over picnic benches (not tables) and similar no problem on friends FS mountain bikes (albeit they are lighter weight XC-esq type bikes - I am 148lbs).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Silly-ish question... how hard is it to bunny hop and manual on the Mayhem 29er? Is it all business all the time or can you have fun and play? I ask since a few reviewers imply that although the bike is great it is hard to be playful on/with the bike.
    Weight and wheelsize don’t really impact a bikes playfulness or bunny hop ability. That has more to do with chainstay length, suspension settings and head tube height (can essentially be adjusted with stack height and handlebar height).

A more playful bike is also a less stable bike. It’s a trade off. At high speeds and on chunky terrain a playful bike will not feel playful, it will feel scary.

I think the mayhem is kind of right in the middle, it’s a trail bike. It has good stability and good playfulness, not the best at either but good enough at both without any huge sacrifices.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    The mayhem is a great all rounder trail bike. I wouldn't take it to a skatepark though.

If you're bunny hopping xc bikes, it should feel pretty similar.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks training-wheels and hardtail party.

Hardtail Party.... what would you take to a skatepark? Not that I’m going there just looking for a frame of reference since I have never been to one.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    You can take any bike to a skatepark, but the obvious choice is a hardtail of course!

At a skatepark I'd want something with super short chainstays and a short wheelbase, like a dirt jumper. For skatepark style moves - dropping in vert, airing out, bunny hopping up ledges, jumps, etc., short chainstays, and a short wheelbase is the best. I wouldn't pick a 29er for my dedicated skatepark bike, but they can still be ridden there.

Like training-wheels said, these all come at the cost of high speed stability. Every bike is a compromise somewhere. Personally, I prefer a bike with a longer reach than chainstay. I prefer a playful ride over top speed.

The point is, the mayhem is a great all-rounder. If you're looking to specifically bunny hop, jump, and goof around all the time, there are better bikes for that purpose. If you're looking to ride on trails of all types, up and down, the mayhem is a great bike for that. If I could get a mayhem with a 430mm chainstay like the rollik, it'd be my #1 bike, because I favor fun on the backwheel over overall speed/stability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone running a 150 fork on it have a long term review with 150

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Anyone running a 150 fork on it have a long term review with 150
    I'm running a 36 set at 150 with a Vorspurng Luftkappe. Rides great. I have a long term review in this thread a few pages back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hello All, Not much of a poster but here goes, 30 year mountain biker here, looking for advice. Im an East Coast rider, specifically New Hampshire Exeter, Lynn Woods Mass, Vermont Kingdom Trails. Mostly super tech, up and down. Not a lot of flow, old school flat to drops (I do up to 6 feet or so). On an 26 Intense 6.6 for last 10 years 35lb bike 6 plus inches travel, VPP bike. Rode a Rocky Mountain BC Thunderbolt for a season 27.5. Too wimpy for me, Im 5'10 185-190lbs, aggressive, strong rider, telemark skier, surfer.
    . Dabbled in racing along time ago. Lynn Woods Mass was rated the most technical trails in the country back in 2011 by Bike Magazine. Check out (Trail Boss Lynn Woods). Most reviews don't seem to review where I live so really really hard an annoying to get proper info. Tech climbs here are freaking technically, slow not long, and tight. Downs are quick and tight with all sorts of roots, rocks anything you can think of. I am out of the loop a bit with all these "new" terms, rake, offset, spacers on forks, boost etc. Im reading up on them, but super confusing. I want a bike I can get on ride and not play with settings etc. Looking to spend 5K plus. Might be the last bike I ever buy (ha).
    Looking at Spot Mayhem and Rollik, Ibis Ripmo and Evil Offering. Ive never ridden a 29er and not much option for those bikes to Demo. If anyone on this thread regularly rides east coast, would love your opinion. I dont ride Sedona, Utah, BC, blah blah blah. Not downing those places, it just gets old hearing about those places. Vermont and NH and MASS have kick as riding too. I really just need someone to tell me what the hell to buy, as you all know the is a huge purchase and turning 47 this year not getting any younger. Thanks and thanks for listening!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus1974 View Post
    Hello All, Not much of a poster but here goes, 30 year mountain biker here, looking for advice. Im an East Coast rider, specifically New Hampshire Exeter, Lynn Woods Mass, Vermont Kingdom Trails. Mostly super tech, up and down. Not a lot of flow, old school flat to drops (I do up to 6 feet or so). On an 26 Intense 6.6 for last 10 years 35lb bike 6 plus inches travel, VPP bike. Rode a Rocky Mountain BC Thunderbolt for a season 27.5. Too wimpy for me, Im 5'10 185-190lbs, aggressive, strong rider, telemark skier, surfer (not a couch dude)
    . Dabbled in racing along time ago. Lynn Woods Mass was rated the most technical trails in the country back in 2011 by Bike Magazine. Check out (Trail Boss Lynn Woods). Most reviews don't seem to review where I live so really really hard an annoying to get proper info. Tech climbs here are freaking technically, slow not long, and tight. Downs are quick and tight with all sorts of roots, rocks anything you can think of.
    Looking at Spot Mayhem and Rollik, Ibis Ripmo and Evil Offering. Ive never ridden a 29er and not much option for those bikes to Demo. If anyone on this thread regularly rides east coast, would love your opinion. I dont ride Sedona, Utah, BC, blah blah blah. Not downing those places, it just gets old hearing about those places. Vermont and NH and MASS have kick as riding too. I really just need someone to tell me what the hell to buy, as you all know the is a huge purchase and turning 47 this year not getting any younger. Thanks and thanks for listening!
    I have a mayem 29er with a pike 140mm and a fox x2 shock and ride in mass. I dont hit Lynn but ive been there long ago so know what its like. I ride NTF, Nam, foxboro some times. The mayhem is stiff and composed in the rough stuff. I used to have a ibis mojo3 that i didnt like. It would get overwhelmed in tech. Not sure if the ripmo is any different. From what you described and where you ride i would consider a rollik with 150mm fork or the mayhem with a 150mm fork. The only neg for east coast trails is the chainstays are on the longer side and the wb is a bit long. I think this ads to the stability too. Another bike to consider is the Knolly fugitive LT.

Have fun deciding!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yea that wheelbase and chain stay thing is another consideration. Its all new to me, guess I really never paid attention. I was looking at the SB 130 too sounds perfect except for reach and chain stay length. Rollik almost sounds perfect, plus I would have to sell my 15 year old son to pay for the Yeti!!!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus1974 View Post
    Yea that wheelbase and chain stay thing is another consideration. Its all new to me, guess I really never paid attention. I was looking at the SB 130 too sounds perfect except for reach and chain stay length. Rollik almost sounds perfect, plus I would have to sell my 15 year old son to pay for the Yeti!!!
    I had a yeti (sb95). Great bike but i dont miss it at all. The Spot suspension is amazing. Super stiff. If the geo works for you try it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I have a mayem 29er with a pike 140mm and a fox x2 shock and ride in mass. I dont hit Lynn but ive been there long ago so know what its like. I ride NTF, Nam, foxboro some times. The mayhem is stiff and composed in the rough stuff. I used to have a ibis mojo3 that i didnt like. It would get overwhelmed in tech. Not sure if the ripmo is any different. From what you described and where you ride i would consider a rollik with 150mm fork or the mayhem with a 150mm fork. The only neg for east coast trails is the chainstays are on the longer side and the wb is a bit long. I think this ads to the stability too. Another bike to consider is the Knolly fugitive LT.

Have fun deciding!

Not sure if it matters but I asked Spot recently about me putting on a 150 fork if I decided to buy the Mayhem and they responded and said:

“We do not recommend running a 150mm fork on the Mayhem. The bike was specifically designed around a 140mm fork. If you do decide to run a 150mm, we would be unable to assist you with any warranty items if something did happen to the frame/bike.”

I know a few folks are running a 150 fork and I believe there is even someone with a 160 fork.

I will be interested to see what you end up purchasing and what you think.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I recommend a rollik 150 or an hd4. Personally, I find the benefits of 29ers come into play on more open, fast trails. For what you're describing, I would recommend a 27.5. While the mayhem could handle a 6 foot drop or two, it's not the ideal bike for that style riding. In my opinion, on rocky, chunky terrain like new England, a more supple suspsnion design is better suited than a super efficient design.

Ive ridden the offering out west. I wasn't really impressed. Obe bike that does impress me, however, is the following mb. Seriously fun bike that punches above its travel numbers.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Even though my review videos are from Sedona, I've ridden spots (and other bikes) in Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Washington, Oregon, California, and Utah.

I know a lot of people think the east coast has the hardest terrain around, reviews from other states are still relevant. In my experience and travels, I find Sedona to have the toughest challenges around.

But it's a wide open internet, where anyone can make a review on any trail they want. If you want reviews back east, make some. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I did not even see your review, I dont think reviews from west coast are not relevant. Just not relevant to me personally. Riding over here is very very different, Ive ridden out west a few times, its great, really great. I agree with you, I was mostly talking about Media reviews magazines etc. Im just getting older and have to be very careful about my purchase. Appreciate the response, Rollik sounds like a winner just by what I have been reading the last year.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    You're smart to do so much research. I wish there was an easier way for you to demo a rollik out there.

Another bike I've been digging is the rocky mtn instinct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Im sure any bike I buy will blow me away, compared to my old Intense. I loved that bike, it took a beating. Im sure I will be happy no matter what. Technology has changed so much, that Im sure I will feel like I'm on a Corvette.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    While I love a carbon bike, they aren't quite as robust as aluminum for banging them around and crashing. Something to consider based on how you may or may not handle your bikes.

I'd recommend attending an event like outerbike or nemba fest. Ride as many different bikes as you can and see which one you click with. When you're dropping $4000-9900 on a bike, it's worth a few hundred bucks to demo a lot of bikes. That's how I discovered spot, and I still haven't ridden a bike I like more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is the black Mayhem raw carbon or painted black?

Is the red Mayhem red paint over the raw black carbon?

I would assume the red mayhem chips and you see black where the paint has chipped?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    From what I can tell, black is carbon with a clear coat on it. Red is paint over primer over carbon.

The matte red is actually the most durable paint I've owned yet on a bike. After a year of thrashing and getting it scratched up shuttling and hauling it around, the paint didn't chip, flake, or scratch to show anything under it. I wish I had gone red on my new rollik 150.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a black mayhem and my wife has a red. Finishes on both seem durable... comparing to other carbon bikes I've owned. One thing I can say is that the red seems to pick up shoe scuffs from my wife that are hard to remove... black stains. But don't really notice it unless you're looking for it. Both look good, but I prefer the black more (yet my wife prefers her red more )

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    New Spot Ryve 115 and 100.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Living link + short travel = stupid fast. Intriguing bikes for sure.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Sub 25lbs ain't bad either. I'll bet that bike is a rocket.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Damn wasn’t expecting new bikes from Spot. They do look sweet though. It would have been great to spice up colors etc instead of the “standard” 2 colors that seem to be used on all their FS line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Spot messed up one aspect on those 2 new bikes...Press Fit BB. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Spot messed up one aspect on those 2 new bikes...Press Fit BB. Ugh.

I think it’s To Be Determined if that was a “mess up”. I would prefer threaded also, but some press fits work really really well and never creak. They’re lighter and stiffer, which is the point of the new models. Anyone have creaking issues on their other spot frames?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I haven't had a press fit that didn't creak.

Cannondale full suspension bike, Specialized Fat Bike, Giant road bike, Niner hard tail...all press fit...every one creaked. Solved with Wheels Manufacturing or Praxis thread together cups.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I haven't had a press fit that didn't creak.

Cannondale full suspension bike, Specialized Fat Bike, Giant road bike, Niner hard tail...all press fit...every one creaked. Solved with Wheels Manufacturing or Praxis thread together cups.

But does anyone’s spot creak? Mine doesn’t.... it’s all manufacturing tolerances and the big brands are known for having lower tolerances on many of their frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My Mayhem is the quietest full suspension bike I've owned. Around 1500 creak free miles in all conditions. Loved my old Ripley, but was always chasing creaks on that bike, drove me crazy! That said, never had issue with the PF BB on that bike....the creaks were always suspension related.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Spot almost has to do press fit because every time they release a new bike all the nerds come out and start asking “how much does it weigh?!?!?!!!!!”. These companies are fighting over grams.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    Spot almost has to do press fit because every time they release a new bike all the nerds come out and start asking “how much does it weigh?!?!?!!!!!”. These companies are fighting over grams.
    Yep. Say what you will about PF, but it is lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone have creaking issues on their other spot frames?
    But does anyone’s spot creak? Mine doesn’t....

The Mayhem, Rollik and Rocker are threaded BB.

Last edited by prj71; 04-08-2019 at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Yep. Say what you will about PF, but it is lighter.
    Splitting hairs. PF will not mean you all of sudden can make it to the top of a hill in less time than if you had a threaded BB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Splitting hairs. PF will not mean you all of sudden can make it to the top of a hill in less time than if you had a threaded BB.
    Oh I agree. Personally, I will always take durability and ease of maintenance over a few grams of weight savings. That said, many of riders this bike is aimed at (XC/Marathon) want a very light bike. A few ounces here and a few ounces there can add up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

This Bike RIPS!

I bought a 6 star build with a 140mm Fox 34, back in December. We had an absolutely epic winter here in Southwest Colorado and the trails are just now drying out.

These are just random thoughts coming off the stoke of a great ride!

First-off...I bought this to replace a 2016 Yeti SB4.5. The Yeti was great, but always had flex in hard corners....plus, it was just time for something new and the SPOT Christmas sale was too good to pass up.

FIT: I'm 6' Tall with a 33" inseam. I had the bike on a few short rides and was really struggling with the steep seat tube angle. I felt cramped and was starting to question the purchase. Today, I shortened the stem to 50mm, put another spacer under the stem (I know....this just makes the cockpit even shorter) and raised the saddle. WOW! The bike just came alive and felt fantastic. Hard to explain...but all good now.

RIDE: I rode a section of trail today that I've ridden 200+ times on a dozen different bikes over the years. Combination of fast flowy and buff single track to rock gardens and sandstone ledges/drops (think Moab). Recent bikes have been Yeti SB95C, 3rd Gen Nomad, Yeti SB4.5, Yeti SB5, and Yeti SB 5.5 (Still own). The Mayhem is by far the most playful, stiff, responsive bike I've ever ridden on these trails. It's so easy to pop and play on...the Living Link is legit. I love the stiffness in the corners and out of the saddle the bike is just amazingly efficient. It really likes to jump!!

Big rock gardens, square-edge stuff could get a bit rough and I started to feel the edges of where the bike truly excels. Of course, I'm comparing this to a Yeti 5.5 with Fox 36 upfront and Float X2 out back...setup very plush. I can see why Mayhem owners are wanting to run a 36 up front and a DPX2 out back, but I wanted to keep the bike light (currently weighs in at 27.5 lbs) and I'm fortunate enough to have a longer travel 29er that I can run with heavier suspension and rubber.

The playful nature of the bike is really what just blew me away. Maybe I've been on Yeti switch infinity bikes too long, but all the reviews of the Mayhem are spot-on (sorry, bad pun)...the bike truly does have a playful spirit and is just a blast to ride.

Very happy customer.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot.jpg  

mtbr member
    For those who bought the one true mayhem color and struggle with getting all the black marks off that seem to accumulate on the hot tomato finish this stuff seems to do the business better than others I’ve tried. SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-5a1171a4-a6a8-4522-adb6-2586584f6b44.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyone with an OG Mayhem upgrade to the Spooler? Any noticeable improvement?

https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/26/spo...ed-kinematics/

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    My rollik 150 has a spooler. I honestly cant tell a difference in terms of stiffness. Its definitely not hurting anything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post

I thought the Rollik 150 has been updated and changed for quite a little while now but this article makes it out like it just happened last week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post

The spooler is interesting, but not sure I see the point. The Mayhem is damn stiff already.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Mayhem owner with 140 front and rear, raced Enduro in WV for the first time last week and I did well, but the bike's rear end felt wayyy stiff through those WV jagged rock gardens. It worked, but I had to hang on hard and it really gassed me (could be all me though). I've heard of guys putting on the DPX2 in the rear--does this alleviate some of the stiffness from the leaf spring? I normally love the stiffness through berms, pumps,and downhills, but the rocks were getting to me.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennythevamp View Post
    Mayhem owner with 140 front and rear, raced Enduro in WV for the first time last week and I did well, but the bike's rear end felt wayyy stiff through those WV jagged rock gardens. It worked, but I had to hang on hard and it really gassed me (could be all me though). I've heard of guys putting on the DPX2 in the rear--does this alleviate some of the stiffness from the leaf spring? I normally love the stiffness through berms, pumps,and downhills, but the rocks were getting to me.
    Cant say about the DPX2 but I put a X2 on and it fixed exactly what you described.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Cant say about the DPX2 but I put a X2 on and it fixed exactly what you described.

Excellent. That may be the one for me then. I found a review and comparison from worldwide cyclery:
    While the DPX2 is more aimed at the trail and light enduro use rider, the Float X2 is more focused on enduro use and DH riding.

However, it did say that the X2 is much more difficult to set up and adjust. Have you found an issue with that?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennythevamp View Post
    Excellent. That may be the one for me then. I found a review and comparison from worldwide cyclery:
    While the DPX2 is more aimed at the trail and light enduro use rider, the Float X2 is more focused on enduro use and DH riding.

However, it did say that the X2 is much more difficult to set up and adjust. Have you found an issue with that?
    Yes and no. It depends on how much you mind spending time dialling in suspension. I also used a shockwiz which helped

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I feel like the dpx2 is slightly more poppy and supportive and the float x2 is more plush. Note: ive never ridden the mayhem with an x2, but ive ridden other bikes with it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I’d say before you drop a bunch of cash on a new shock, be sure to spend some time fiddling with the stock unit. I’ve found the living link suspension very air pressure sensitive...more so than any other bike I’ve owned. A couple of psi either way can have a surprisingly big effect.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    ^ this. The mayhem is super sensitive with pressure.

I also wonder if your rebound could have been too slow, leading to packing. Its awesome you were out there pushing it on thet race though, props.. 130mm travel is going to be tough for enduro racing no matter what shock you're running. The mayhem isnt the plushest bike on the market, but it sure is fun.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the response Hardtail Party.

I got another silly question. The reach on a medium mayhem is showing as 424mm and top tube of 586mm. I see all these new bikes coming out, namely the Ibis Ripley, witha 450mm reach and 603mm top tube on a M. Is that considered a big difference? I have mentioned before about being concerned about a cramped cockpit not because I have owned a ton of bikes but moreso simply because I have gotten caught up in all the internet reading and numbers from one bike to the next. Hence the basis of my question of the size and feel of the cockpit on the Mayhem compared to other similiar sized M bikes that you guys would also appropriately fit on.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Youre going to have to demo a few bikes and see which reach measurement you like. Some people like long reach, some people dont. And "long" is subjective. 3 years ago, the mayhem was considered long. The trend is for every new bike to come out longer than the last. Im convinced a few companies just started calling their large a medium now. Longer bikes are more stable in the straight, but a bit less maneuverable. They also make you change your riding position compared to how we rode bikes 5+ years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Are all of the pivot points staying quiet on the Mayhem?

Also I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam...Medium or Large?

Took a Trek Fuel EX 18.5 for a spin yesterday and it fit me real well. Was comparing geometry numbers and it seem the large Mayhem may be a better fit for me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @prj71, I would be very interested in finding out what the guys at spot recommend for frame size and stem length for you at your height and inseam. Have you given them a call and asked?

Was the Trek EX in the high or low setting for the 18.5 you rode?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are all of the pivot points staying quiet on the Mayhem?
    Approaching 1700 miles on mine, not a peep out of the suspension. Absolutely the quietest bike I've owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    @prj71, I would be very interested in finding out what the guys at spot recommend for frame size and stem length for you at your height and inseam. Have you given them a call and asked?

Was the Trek EX in the high or low setting for the 18.5 you rode?
    I did contact them once and they recommended a medium. I'm going by stack and reach numbers and Top tube length on the Fuel EX M/L (18.5) which fit me great and comparing to the Mayhem. Fuel EX was in the high setting.

Fuel EX M/L - Stack: 603, Reach: 450, Top Tube: 616

Mayhem Large - Stack: 622, Reach: 448, Top Tube: 612

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Approaching 1700 miles on mine, not a peep out of the suspension. Absolutely the quietest bike I've owned.

This is good to know. Contacted a Fuel EX owner I know who doesn't have anywhere near that mileage on their bike and over 2 summers of riding he claimed that all of the pivot bearings and bottom bracket bearings needed to be replaced. Fuel EX is press fit I believe.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did contact them once and they recommended a medium. I'm going by stack and reach numbers and Top tube length on the Fuel EX M/L (18.5) which fit me great and comparing to the Mayhem. Fuel EX was in the high setting.

Fuel EX M/L - Stack: 603, Reach: 450, Top Tube: 616

Mayhem Large - Stack: 622, Reach: 448, Top Tube: 612
    I am struggling with this type of decision also. here is how I’m looking at it ... f you went with the Medium that Spot recommenced the difference in reach is 26mm — 1 inch. The default stem on the mayhem is 60mm and they will even go up to a 70mm if you like. They recommended a M to me as well and my height is 5’ 9”. I have the same concerns as you with cockpit feel and I haven’t made my decision yet.

M spot stack is 586mm so -13mm (.5 inch) from Trek Ex and TT is -3mm (.12 inch) vs Trek EX.

I plan to do as hardtail party suggests above is seek out bikes that I have local and see if I can come close to the waiting differences to get an idea of the different feels. Not an exact science because riser bars/bar position, bar height, stem height, seat position on rails can all change the overal feel of a bike. The best will be to ride a M and L Mayhem in relatively identical configuration but I don’t have that luxury.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

At 5’8” I’d definitely go with a medium. I’m just under 6’ and the large fits me well with a 60mm stem. Can’t imagine you’d be happy on the same sized frame. Also keep in mind the Mayhem has a long seat tube, so if you size up you will be limiting your choices on dropper posts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did any of you guys/gals on a M mayhem go with the 160mm dropper instead of the 125mm that is supposed to be spec’d on the M? Any issues?
    Last edited by cue003; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:05 AM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314