Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,248 of 1248
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Congrats, and good choice! I also just pulled the trigger on the Mayhem. The bike already had great bang for the buck, but with the black Friday sale I couldn't resist! I did a couple of test rides at Outerbike on it, and I was between this and the Pivot 429 Trail for my riding. The slightly longer chain stay length of the Mayhem (448 vs 443.2) means that the T429 is slightly easier to get the front wheel up, while the Mayhem climbs slightly better IMO. Both felt fun and poppy to me, as getting my mass far enough back was definitely not a problem for me on either bike! I do not like "squishy" feeling bikes when pedaling, and neither of these felt that way to me. Both DW Link and Living Link platforms are the real deal! The T429 and the Mayhem have great pedaling efficiency and allow for both 29er and 27.5plus wheel sizes with minimal messing around. The combination of the head tube angle and the seat tube angle on the Mayhem make this bike incredibly fast going up and down! Yet it is still so agile... People say that bikes "climb like a hardtail", but I really think the Mayhem climbs as well or BETTER than any hardtail that I've been on. I remember thinking that I could get into trouble on the Mayhem because of how fast, fun, and agile it was. So, I did the most logical thing that I could do, I bought one! It sounds like you were looking for something similar to what I was looking for, so I think you'll really enjoy your new bike! Mine will be black too. What a beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congrats to you both.

mtbr member
    Iíve ordered my XL Mayhem in the black color, but it will not arrive for a few weeks. Does anyone have experience with the frame protector tape or kits? I sort of want to wrap some of my frame as soon as I get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
    Iíve ordered my XL Mayhem in the black color, but it will not arrive for a few weeks. Does anyone have experience with the frame protector tape or kits? I sort of want to wrap some of my frame as soon as I get it.
    Did spot give you an eta? Figure things are slower than usual with the holidays and the Black Friday sale, but my wife ordered last week and we didnít get any kind of eta. I think I read somewhere on here itís usually 1-2 weeks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    Did spot give you an eta? Figure things are slower than usual with the holidays and the Black Friday sale, but my wife ordered last week and we didnít get any kind of eta. I think I read somewhere on here itís usually 1-2 weeks?
    I upgraded the shock and the fork. They said they ran out of both, and I should receive my bike the week before Christmas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wrapped my Mayhem with 3m clear paint protection film. With goes on very easy and works great. Has already saved me from getting several large chips. But it is glossy and detracts from the beautiful matt paint job. If that is important to you, I believe matt film is available from other companies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I agree with the above assessments that the Living Link pedals similar to the DW link of the Pivot bikes. I demoed 16 bikes before buying and it came down to the Pivot Switchblade and the Mayhem. I disagree with the above review that said the Mayhem leaves you more fatigued due to the link ďlifting you up and overĒ obstacles. I had the exact opposite experience. The link seems to give you a little boost when clearing an obstacle. Maybe thatís what the previous reviewer meant by ďliftingĒ, but it left me less fatigued, not more. Itís like it absorbs the obstacle and then propels you after clearing it. After three days of demoes at Outerbike I was wiped. I took the Mayhem out at the end of day 3, thinking iíd just do a quick 1 mile lap to feel it out and ended up doing another 6 miles it was so much fun to ride. It felt energizing. The Mayhem and Swithcblade were the only bike that made me want to ride further than I originally intended on my demo laps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    100% agree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thinking about ordering one tonight with the upgraded fork and rear shock. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam, seems like a L would be the way to go?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I am one inch taller with same inseam and that is what I am getting if I pull the trigger. What makes you think you need the Fox 36 up front? From what I hear itís a bit of overkill unless you are a heavier rider or really want it to eat up everything as you bomb down a descent. I am going to go with the DPX2 in the rear and just have them do the air spring mod on the fork to give it 140mm of travel. Just my two cents. From what Iíve experienced so far Spot is an amazing company. Best of luck and hopefully I can order one soon too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I don't think I need a Fox 36 up front, but I wanted 140mm travel. I tested some 130mm front travel bikes on my local trails and bottomed out the front if I happened to choose a bad line off some drops. I didn't realize they would do the air spring mod to give it 140mm of travel. Did you just call them up to get that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Iím 6í-0Ē w/ 33Ē inseam and ride a large comfortably. I have the Fox 34 factory and have no desire for the 36. What I like about the bike is it climbs as well as it descends. Itís just fast everywhere. With a Fox 36, i imagine it would feel closer to the Switchblade, which I thought gave up a little on the climbs compared to the Mayhem while being a slightly better descender. To me the Fox 34 seems a perfect match for the capabilities of the bike. I did add volume reducers front and rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Yes, call and speak to Paul and he will personalize a build/quote for you. That mod is 35.00. They offer amazing customer service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Got my bike! Finally had time to unbox and assemble. Very easy. Took more time to remove the packing than assemble the bike.

Anyone who owns a Mayhem already care to offer some starting pressures for the fork/shock? I'm 140lbs and 5'10".

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Forgot to mention that I have the 5 star and running the Factory 34/DPS set up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
    Got my bike! Finally had time to unbox and assemble. Very easy. Took more time to remove the packing than assemble the bike.

Anyone who owns a Mayhem already care to offer some starting pressures for the fork/shock? I'm 140lbs and 5'10".
    Iím a little shorter than you and weight 145. My Fox 34 is set at 140mm and I run it at 52psi (stock tokens) rear DPS is set at 128-130 rebound is 3 clicks from full fast. I think it would be a decent starting point for ya. Keep in mind suspension setup and psi are all based on terrain and rider though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just went for my first ride on the Mayhem. Amazing ride! Everything I hoped it would be. One minor quibble/observation...Noticed a lot of rock bouncing off the leaf spring and up hitting the frame while riding. Maybe it's the Nobby Nics or the trail I was riding? Just wondering if those that are seasoned Mayhem riders have noticed the same?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I deceided to upgrade to the Fox 36 because I am a big guy, 6-5Ē, about #230 with my gear on, and I like to go fast down really chunky stuff. I also upgraded the shock to the DPX2 for similar reasons, and I do a ride here is Salt Lake Called the Wasatch Crest. Its a ďshuttleĒ ride that is about 16 miles long with 5500 feet of elevation drop. Iíve heard the stock smaller shock tends to overheat on long descents.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I deceided to upgrade to the Fox 36 because I am a big guy, 6-5Ē, about #230 with my gear on, and I like to go fast down really chunky stuff. I also upgraded the shock to the DPX2 for similar reasons, and I do a ride here is Salt Lake Called the Wasatch Crest. Its a ďshuttleĒ ride that is about 16 miles long with 5500 feet of elevation drop. Iíve heard the stock smaller shock tends to overheat on long descents.
    Iíve done plenty of huge rides on the Mayhem and never once noticed the DPS overheating. Then again, Iím only 175 lbs. But Iíve also had plenty of ďlargerĒ clients ride in Crested Butte, Moab etc and no one has ever mentioned it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wife gave me green light for mayhem, but waiting to demo ripmo. Currently ride sb4.5 and looking for little more plush with upgraded 36 fork and dpx2. Looking at 5 star build and will swap stan wheels for my current nox teos. Anyone w experience on ripmo and mayhem? Should I take plunge as spot has 30 day return policy. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by RC Rider View Post
    Wife gave me green light for mayhem, but waiting to demo ripmo. Currently ride sb4.5 and looking for little more plush with upgraded 36 fork and dpx2. Looking at 5 star build and will swap stan wheels for my current nox teos. Anyone w experience on ripmo and mayhem? Should I take plunge as spot has 30 day return policy. Thanks in advance.
    If you want more plush, then the Ripmo is most definitely the way to go. The Mayhem will be more like an upgraded version of your 4.5c.

FWIW, I recently described the Ripmo to my buddy (whoís has a Mayhem and is looking at a Ripmo for next season) as a ďmore plush MayhemĒ. I think itís noticeably more playful, stable and plush on the DHs, but you give up a little on the climbs. I think itís obviously expected given the travel of each bike and the similar geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i think it depends on the terrain you like to ride. if you like to descend chunk def go for ripmo. if you like to climb chunk, def go for ripmo.
    the climbing effectiveness of the mayhem goes to the point that it becomes its own doom in technical terrain. there is little give in the rear and you constantly find yourself trying to lift the rear over rocks and fighting obstacles, sort of like riding ht. where ripmo just rolls through. in smoother terrain, mayhem is the king.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    i think it depends on the terrain you like to ride. if you like to descend chunk def go for ripmo. if you like to climb chunk, def go for ripmo.
    the climbing effectiveness of the mayhem goes to the point that it becomes its own doom in technical terrain. there is little give in the rear and you constantly find yourself trying to lift the rear over rocks and fighting obstacles, sort of like riding ht. where ripmo just rolls through. in smoother terrain, mayhem is the king.
    I think this is really a reflection of the shock. I have my Mayhem with an X2 and its adjusted sonit is plush through the chunk up and down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks smmokan & cavo. I live in So Cal and the trail I ride has mix of smooth single tracks up/down, berms, small jumps 2-3', chunky areas, of course climbs. I mainly ride to stay in shape (almost 50 yrs), I love to climb and get rewarded on descending.

I agree w/smmokan that am I just upgrading my 4.5 if I choose mayhem, so will demo ripmo in the next few weeks. Based on just numbers, ripmo has short CS, longer wheelbase, but I just need to get my butt on the demo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    This hadnít been my experience at all. While I wouldnít consider the Mayhem ďplushĒ I find it excels in technical climbing, especially in ledgy, chunky terrain. Unlike many other bikes Iíve owned it doesnít get hung up on obstacles going uphill. Itís one if the areas that I feel it is far superior to my old Ripley.

Havenít ridden a Ripmo yet, but doesnít surprise me it is very capable on techy trails as it has more travel front and rear than the Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    While I haven't ridden a ripmo yet, I've ridden every other ibis. I too feel the mayhem excels in technical climbing, especially ledgy, chunky terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Iíve done plenty of huge rides on the Mayhem and never once noticed the DPS overheating. Then again, Iím only 175 lbs. But Iíve also had plenty of ďlargerĒ clients ride in Crested Butte, Moab etc and no one has ever mentioned it.
    Agreed, I weigh about 205 and have a lot of experience on the dps shock, piggy backs and coils. In Moab or crested butte I donít think youíll be able to overheat a dps or at least have significant negative impacts from it heating up. Iíve only felt that at downhill parks where you descend a couple thousand feet and then the chairlift gets you to the top in 5 minutes, repeat, 5 minutes later you repeat, so on and so on. Dps cannot handle a day of lift served downhill riding, but I think it can handle riding down any hill day after day (including the whole enchilada, teocalli, doctors park, anything keystone or trestle, miners creek, monarch, etc etc)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just pulled the trigger on a five star Mayhem. I would never normally buy something without riding it, but something just felt right about this bike and company. Upgraded to the DPX2 shock and having them put in the 140mm air spring upgrade in the fork. Also having them put on Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR for the tires. Canít wait to hit the trails! This is a great community and everyone has been so helpful. Thanks to everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congrats! Minions are my favorite tires as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I also agree that the Mayhem excels at climbing technical chunky terrain. The suspension allows you to get out of the saddle and hammer while absorbing obstacles and not bobbing. Sure, there are going to be bikes that are way more capable on the descents, but if you are looking for a bike that climbs chunk as well as it descends, the Mayhem is on top. I haven't ridden the Ripmo, but I preferred the Mayhem to both the Ripley and Mojo on technical climbs as well as descents. The Ripmo looks awesome and appears to have solved the two things I didn't like about the Ripley (not enough travel) and the Mojo (27.5 wheels).

mtbr member
    I dont own either mayhem or ripmo but a friend of mine purchsed mayhem about 3 weeks ago and i had ripmo demo from lbs for a day. We compared both back to back. I prefered ripmo buth up and down. I sort of agree on one of the previous observations of mayhem lacking a bit in tech climbing. I cant tell really what it was, but ripmo climbed over rough with less hassle and the rear felt more compliant to the terrain. We both egreed that it felt like we had to work less while climbing tech with ripmo, while mayhem felt better on les techy terrain. On downs ripmo was more fun, obviously handled rough much better. I also felt like it felt lighter even though both biks were just above 28lbs. My friend liked ripmo so much he is considering to make use of spots 30 day return policy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    That's awesome! Many people don't get the chance to find the bike that best fits their riding style, where they ride, feel preferences, etc.. Your story is also a testament to the quality of company that Spot is. A 30 day return policy means that they stand behind their product and that they care that a rider will ultimately end up with the right bike. They also believe strongly in their product so I wouldn't think that they have many returns. I guess one thought that I have is were the bikes setup and dialed in correctly? If not, it wouldn't matter how nice a bike purportedly climbs, descends, or generally feels. A bad setup will make a bike feel and perform poorly everytime. It's also an interesting bike comparison. I'm not sure if the two bikes are exactly in the same category given the specs of each bike. I would actually be surprised if the Mayhem didn't allow for a FASTER climb despite how it may have FELT subjectively to the both of you. I think a comparison between the Rollik and the Ripmo would be an interesting one. Unfortunately, I did not get to demo a Ripmo, but I wanted to! I did get to try a Pivot Trail 429, and to me it was a pretty close toss-up between the Mayhem and the T429. I would definitely be happy with either bike! The DW-Link suspension and Spot's Living-Link suspension, as well as the overall feel of both bikes and brands were what I was looking for. The Ripmo also has a DW-Link suspension, so I would have probably liked the feel of that bike too. That being said, since I would be happy on either a Pivot or a Spot, it came down to $$$, and Spot won hands down! I would have had to pay at least $1500 more to get an equivalently spec'd Pivot, and I believe that the price difference would be about the same for an equivalent Ibis. They're all great bikes, but the subtle differences didn't justify the added expense TO ME. To someone else the differences may seem more substantial, and therefore justify the added cost. I did upgrade the fork and the rear shock on my Mayhem. Overkill? Maybe, but the DPX2 has more adjustability than the DPS shock so that should help with dialing it in and getting the correct feel. It also insures that the bike will handle anything that I can throw at it, and then some!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm a big Ibis fan, (owned a Mojo C and OG Ripley both of which I loved) and if the Ripmo had been available last winter when I was shopping for a bike I would have given it a hard look. I have to say it doesn't surprise me that the Ripmo descends technical terrain better than the Mayhem. In fact I'd be shocked if a 130/130 bike was better downhill than a 160/145. They really are in different categories. The Mayhem really splits the difference in suspension travel and intent between the Ripley and Ripmo. Compared to my old Ripley, I find the Mayhem to be far more capable in the chunk, but not as good as say a Yeti SB 5.5 or Hightower LT.

As far as climbing technical stuff, I'd say the definition of "technical" depends on where you ride. If tech to you means very loose, steep climbing a more active design is going to provide more traction and capability than a firmer one. On the other hand, I find designs with more anti squat tend to do better on ledgy/blocky technical bits. The bike doesn't sink as far into its travel going uphill and doesn't get hung up on obstacles as easily. Since most of my local technical terrain fits the latter category I think the Mayhem is awesome going uphill. If rode somewhere else I might have a different opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi folks, first time posting a review here so bear with me. Lurking on the thread for a little while looking for a replacement for my Hightower. I wanted something that pedals well yet is versatile enough to handle some of the Arizona chunk. Versatility for me is key. Love the info here and thank you Steve for a ton of good information and insight. Tough to pull the trigger sight unseen on something like this so you really have to do your homework in my opinion. That said, I have gone through a few bikes in the last year so apparently the homework isnít too extensive . Like the Hightower, just dont love it. And, apparently that is enough to swap out a bike for me. Doesnt take much, I have a problem. I wanted to see if Pivot would come out with a new Switchblade but couldnít wait and this thing caught my eye.

I am right at 6 feet tall and weigh 195 with pack. I was a little concerned about the sizing (long arms and legs) but after reading a little and talking to the folks at Spot, large definitely seemed the way to go. I am glad I went this route. I ended up with a large 6 star with the 36 and dpx2 upgrade. With the sale price recently, it was tough not to do the 6 star. Incredible value. Regarding the sizing, it fits perfectly. I still feel that I am riding in the bike vs on top of the bike like I do with my large Hightower. Really different feel from that perspective.

It has been said a few times here but this bike just wants to move forward. Hard for me to describe because I have not been riding that long but compared to the Ripley and Hightower (owned both), it just carries momentum well. And it does it with ease and is very smooth. I am sure the spec on the 6 star build helps, but this thing is just smooth. For as firm as the platform is, it is a very smooth bike.

Uphill, this is a very efficient bike. I donít know that I have much more to add based on what is in this thread. Is it significantly more efficient that the Ripley, probably not. Both very similar, edge to Mayhem IMO. Definitely feels more so than the Hightower and my times would back that up (for me). The thing that I see as one of the biggest improvements over the Hightower is the ability to climb techy sections. I thought I had the VPP suspension dialed for me, likely not, but I clear things much better on this bike. It is firm and very stiff, this allows me to stand and climb things way better than I previously did. This suspension does not seem to get hung up and ďpauseĒ like the VPP did for me.

Downhill, I would say that it is a little firmer than the Hightower, but it is waaayyy more precise. Definitely more capable than the Ripley downhill, no question there. For me, this thing feels so much more controllable and precise than the Hightower. It is more playful and I feel that I can turn quickly and adjust with more precision. That could be my favorite aspect of the Mayhem. I am able to retain speed and yet can be precise in doing so. It is a firm bike, make no mistake. But, I like this and I like having to carve through things rather than just smashing it. There is something about the Fox 36 on this bike that seems so much better than the almost identical fork I have on the Hightower. Likely setup and user error, but it eats up the chunk here in Phoenix way better for me.

My only two complaints would be the weight and the Sram brakes. I have only had XTís in my short time riding but do like them and love how quiet they are. I swapped out the pads at LBS suggestion (and did rotors as well) and they still have some noise. I do love the modulation but if I could get them to stop sounding like a turkey they would be better than XTís IMO. It is a heavy (relative) bike, in my unscientific method, it is right at 30lbs. Almost exact same weight as my Hightower. But, it definitely moves forward like a lighter bike.

Overall you can tell I am very happy with the bike. It is a looker too, that is important! I think I have now broken most of my old PRís with this in a matter of a few weeks. I wanted to wait until I had 150 or so miles on it before I wrote this up and have in that time broken almost all of my PRís. Granted, I have not been riding for that long (1.5 years) but I have ridden quite a bit and feel that I had a really good feel for the other bikes I have owned. Customer service at Spot is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot say enough about the ability to pick up the phone and talk something through with them. They are great. Also been said here, but this thing is ridiculously quiet. I upgraded the DT 240ís to the 54 tooth mostly to get a little noise on the trail! I would love to get a Rollik at some point as well to handle bigger days. With this firm pedaling platform, that has to be a very capable longer travel bike (as long as I could stray from 29ers). Seems it is with the great info on that thread as well. If you are comparing this to some other bikes in the category, you wont regret it, and the value with these is absolutely incredible! This bike is just flat out fun to ride and is very versatile. I am now a big Spot fan. Apologies on the long post and flipped picture. Cant get the damn thing to insert right. See first sentence .
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1897.jpg

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone out there want to trade a 125mm dropper for my 100mm fox transfer dropper? Mine works perfectly but i think id prefer a 125mm. PM if your interested

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Got my 4 star build a few weeks ago. It's been great minus some dragging issues with the rear brake, which I think I finally 100% fixed during today's ride. After riding hardtails for the last 10 years this bike has been an interesting change.

I've been trying to keep the suspension in the "open" setting as much as possible. If I look down while pedaling (seated on level ground) I can see the suspension bobbing a bit during the pedal stroke. How much suspension motion is normal during pedaling in the open setting? If I move the setting to "firm" it stops bobbing, but ideally I'd like to not have to play with the suspension. Will increasing the pressure help this? Honestly I can't tell if I'm losing energy from this as I don't even notice it unless I'm looking down at the suspension pivots.

Due to a shipping mix-up I ended up picking the bike up from Spot HQ. They set the bike up for me, so the pressure/sag should be within specifications.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Due to a shipping mix-up I ended up picking the bike up from Spot HQ. They set the bike up for me, so the pressure/sag should be within specifications.
    Based on my experience with Spot setting suspension, thereís a good chance yours has too much air and you can probably let 5-10% out. The guys there donít quite understand that itís a firm platform, and their recommendations are way too stiff. For instance, their recommendation on my Rollik was about 215 psi in the DPX2 (120% of rider weight), but I found it best at about 190. I weigh 180íish with gear. Same with the Mayhem, I personally run about 145 psi on the DPS and itís perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dialing in suspension is a really important skill. It'll take some time to learn how to do it right, but once you do, it'll be well worth the time investment. A lot of people misjudge a bike's feel due to poir suspension setup.

Read up all you can on sag, rebound, etc.

Its a full suspension bike. The rear suspension is supposed to track the ground. The suspension will move some, even when pedaling. In my experience, this bike bobs less than almost any other bike on the market.

Give it a month or two tog et used to how a full suspension brakes, corners, climbs, and descends. It takes some getting used to. It feels quite different from a hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't want to go quoting the Spot guys, but they recently told me they don't rely on Sag as a measurement of how well the suspension is setup. They gave me settings based on my weight, and then told me to adjust air pressure from there depending on if I'm using full travel or not...

Either way, I wasn't 100% happy with how my bike was handling, I contacted them, and they gave me good instructions on how to setup the suspension. The bike feels significantly better. If you have questions on suspension setup, I'd give them a call or send an email.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congrats tchilds, sounds like a great fit for you.

If you're wanting less of a firm feel, that can be adjusted with the suspension settings. You can experiment by taking out 5psi at a time in the rear shock. As a rule of thumb for me, I try to use 90% of my suspension on every ride, and 100% every 2 or 3 rides. I have friends who have had bikes for years and never used more than 70% of their suspension. That tells me they have it set way too firm.

mtbr member
    I ordered my 5 star Mayhem 29 with fork and shock upgrades on ďcyber MondayĒ November 26th. Spot guys are telling me hopefully bike will be here before Christmas. Anyone else order their bike around that time and have it? I think the delay is maybe they ran out of the fox 36 forks and DPX2 shocks. I sold my only other Mtn bike a few weeks ago, and have been demoing / renting other bikes to get me by as I wait for the Mayhem. Iíve liked the Ibis Ripmo and Ripley LS.... hopefully the Mayhem will sit in that similar range of bike, The mayhem travel is pretty much right in between the two, and Iím hoping the living link with be similar to the DW link. I have access to great winter riding in St. George UT on my weekend trips down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mayhem will be fun in st George. I was just down there this weekend. The new bike park is pretty cool.

In my opinion, the mayhem will lean a little closer to the Ripley than the ripmo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Mayhem will be fun in st George. I was just down there this weekend. The new bike park is pretty cool.

In my opinion, the mayhem will lean a little closer to the Ripley than the ripmo.
    Havenít ridden a Ripmo, but the Mayhem feels like a firmer, burlier version of my old Ripley. Still definitely a trail bike though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wheelset Question:

Ordered a 6 star build at the Black Friday sale....stoked! Planning on running 29er most of the time, but also having a 27.5+ wheelset for fun on the side. Going to buy a 35mm internal wheelset...looking at 2.6 vs. 2.8 tires? 2.6 Tire on a i35mm rim seems to be a sweet spot that's gaining popularity...kind of a 27.5+ light. Does it make the bottom bracket too low? Any opinions out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Interestingly enough... I tried that exact setup.

As an experiment, I put my rollik wheels on my mayhem and then tried mix/match with a 29er front, 27.5 rear.

With my 27.5 2.6 front and rear, I had my 36mm inner nox kitsuma wheels. The BB felt lower, but I like a low BB. I don't feel like the a 27.5 2.6 is close enough to plus to get that same feel. In other words, a 27.5 2.6 won't feel tons different than a 29er, just slower and a lower BB. A 27.5 with 2.8s will feel quite different.

When speaking 27.5 on the mayhem, I much prefer 2.8s
    over 2.6. But I'm weird, and I like 2.8 Minions a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Has anyone here traveled by plane with a size XL Mayhem? The cases I normally rent from my local bike shop are not quite big enough...

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I was lucky enough to get one of the first Mayhem frames and just freshened mine up with a DPX2 shock and a set of We Are One Agent Carbon rims with DT 350 hubs, cushcore, Speshy Eliminator 2.6 front/Slaughter 2.3 rear and the new PRís on descents are proof that the precision/fun Iím feeling is real! Having an absolute blast! Iím also loving the 150mm Yari fork and CODE brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I hear great things about those we are one rims. It's awesome to see you having so much fun on your bike. A lot of times we obsess about not having the perfect _________ component on our bike, and it gets in the way of just going out riding and having fun. I know it's hard for me to turn off the mentail voice that says "you could have more fun, or go faster if only you had __________." Sounds like a really great setup you've got.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213